PDA

View Full Version : The growing out bangs journey!

Curlsgirl
May 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Acckkkkk! They are almost to the tip of my nose and a couple of weeks to tucking behind my ears! YAYYYYY!! I am still having such a hard time getting use to how I look though. How long does it take that to go away? I have had bangs for years and years. Does that make it harder? I feel like I look older without them but I have the same face so can that really be true? Why should I care? Grrrrrrrrrr, I wish I could just go on and not worry about that part! I know it will be much easier without them as I can already tell.

Please come beside me and feel my pain and tell me how you are doing in the journey or how you DID and got through it!

mommy101405
May 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
I feel your pain. Mine are driving me insane. I grew them out in high school and then this past November I decided since to try them again since they were "back in style". Big mistake. I clip mine back alot. Prob not the best look but its convenient.

Gutterfayrie
May 3rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
I can't decided if I want to grow mine out or trim them... Right now they are at eyebrow length and I usually keep them an inch shorter.

I like how I look with bangs, but I've also seen some pictures of me w/o bangs lately and its "not that bad"

Pyvsi
May 3rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I can't exactly relate but, having started growing my hair from super tiny teeny weeny afro a few years ago - MY Bangs Finally Touch the Tip of My Nose! And that's exciting. Now it's easier to pull all my hair back into a Scrunchie. (long live scrunchies)

rhosyn_du
May 3rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
I'm in the process of partially growing out my bangs. Several months ago, I cut myself some thick, side-swept bangs after not having had bangs for 15 years. As much as I liked the look, I just can't deal with that much hair in my face, and I've since determined that I look better with a much subtler, thin and wispy long fringe. I've been pulling most of my bangs back with clips and just leaving two little wisps down in front, and I really like the look, but all these little bits that I have to clip back and that stick out all over instead of fitting nicely into my updos make me a little insane.

jojo
May 4th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I had bangs/fringe for all my life until last May when I started growing, the nose length bangs are the worse stage in my experience, just twist, clip back and forget it. Mine are about an inch lower than my chin now and so much easier to manage, especially as my hair is more ringlet than wave in my fringe, you too will find them so much easier being a boingy curly girly!

I too used to think they made me look older, but i think a lot of that is adjusting to your 'new' face. Now when i look back at pictures with bangs, i look awful. Keep growing in a few months time you will be near chin and can put them back behind your ears then, if you dont like them then, you can always cut! good luck, i totally understand! been there and got the tee-shirt ;o)

Gecko
May 4th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I've had bangs all my life and have tried a few times to grow them out and I never really did. Until last year, by November they were finally below my chin, but then I cut them again. But now I'm growing them out again, for the last time, and it's actually really easy this time. It's a shorter area and it doesn't seem as painful as growing out the rest of my hair.
However, yesterday I razored my bangs so they would blend in better, but they have that stylish, long bang look. I do like it and I think it looks good on me, but I don't want to keep it.

Rini
May 4th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Curlsgirl :inlove:.....hi! You hang in there girl, it's really worth it in the end.

Mine are what I'd call "grown out" now, ie they go into an updo now. I have always had a fringe and after a couple of failed attempts in the last few years to grow it out, I've finally succeeded.

I too have an issue with showing too much face....it does take getting used to! What helped me was wearing my fringe swept to the side like a faux fringe (still do this sometimes). It softens the transition I think. Also I have made friends with headbands and actually really like wearing them now. I have quite a collection! They are all very similar styles though as only one type is comfortable for me (the lighter, thinner style).

The best thing is how much thicker my hair is now that there's more of it (that was a totally stupid sentence I know!!). When you have that extra hair from your fringe actually in your ponytail, it makes a big difference. I also like how my fringe hair curls in comparison to the rest of my hair (never really seen it as it's always been so much shorter)

I will never go back now as I love the convenience of not having to style anything and also if my hair is a bit greasy, it doesn't show :D I'm actually starting to like my forehead too...widows peak and all!

Hope that supports you in your goal Curlsgirl :flower:

walkinglady
May 4th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I'm kind of trying to grow my bangs out but have that urge to cut. I still want bangs but I want the longer, softer, more subtle bang. Does that make sense? I just pulled them forward to see how long they are getting. Wow, they are just past the tip of my nose! When did that happen?

I have to add that I've almost always had bangs. One time when I was much younger I let them grow and I think I looked hideous. We'll see how this journey goes.

florenonite
May 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I hadn't had a fringe in more than ten years, but decided to get one last April, and re-cut it last summer. It's now a bit below chin-length, and I actually quite like it at this length, as it will stay if I put my hair in a ponytail, so for sports it's all out of the way, but I can take it out of buns, etc. if I like. I may end up keeping it at this length, but I think I'll let it grow further and then see if I miss it. I prefer having a fringe to no fringe, as far as appearance is concerned, but it really drives me mad when it's perpetually in my face.

Zindell
May 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I am growing out my bangs as well. (Once again but this time I'll stick to it!)
Mine are only just covering my eyes though if I comb them straight down.

I have found that sidesweeping them makes me like my "new" face better. The sideswept hair is covering some of my forehead. A little bit like bangs. Just a tip! :)

mellie
May 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I did it! I went from bangs to growing them out to below chin length. Then I cut everything (boo hoo!!!!) so it was all one length. Now it is getting slowly back to the previous length that I had.

But, I was successful! Yay! :-)

Now I have to remember not to ever do bangs again.....it is so tempting sometimes!!

heidihug
May 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I'm in the process of growing out my bangs, which I have had for as long as I can remember. I don't want to get rid of them completely, I just want them to end up being a long, side-swept fringe with the shortest part of them being about mid-eye-length. At least that's how I picture it now. If I look ridiculous when I get there, I can always trim them up again! I figure it will take me the reast of the year to get where I want to be. I have a pic of my bangs in my album.

mellie
May 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
OMG, Heidihug, I love your signature!!! :-)

snowbird
May 4th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I still have bangs, but I can relate that trying to get curly bangs out of your face (growing out or just going to the gym) can be a bit of a challenge.

I get mine back with a few bobbypins, and then wrap a long thin scarf or bit of fabric around my head a few times grecian style. For the gym I do the same thing....but with an old stocking.

For moral support; mid length bangs look very romantic in updos whisping around.

GlennaGirl
May 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'm a grow-out-er too. They're down to my mouth now and they tuck pretty easily behind my ears. It's actually a pretty cute look (the tucked behind the ears thing).

Katurday
May 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I've just barely started growing out my bangs. They're blunt cut and at eye poking level, so I deal by using bobby pins to pin them up or to the side.

At this stage of hair growth, bobby pins are required for pretty much anything except pigtails. :(

GlennaGirl
May 4th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Katurday, I LOVE your username. That's awesome.

When my bangs weren't long enough to tuck behind my ears, I used those tiny mini-clips a lot. They added a little pizzaz. (Is that how you spell that?)

Katurday
May 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Katurday, I LOVE your username. That's awesome.

When my bangs weren't long enough to tuck behind my ears, I used those tiny mini-clips a lot. They added a little pizzaz. (Is that how you spell that?)
AH YOU REMINDED ME OF THEM!

I have a pack of glittery ones somewhere in the back of my medicine cabinet. I forgot all about them. Thanks a lot!:D

memee1978
May 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM
i want to grow out my bangs also.but i want to grow them to my shoulders at leat.

Curlsgirl
May 4th, 2008, 05:13 PM
A special thanks to everyone for commiserating!!!! :love:

RINI, SO good to see you my dear!!! You look lovely as always and as much as I loved your red hair I love your blond more!!! You would look pretty with purple and green polka dotted hair though! :D NOT kidding!

What do you all think is the cutest length for updo bangs besides eyebrow length? Nose tip, chin length?

sipnsun
May 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I cut my bangs last week after not having any for about 7 years. I HATE them. They part funny and just don't look right. I'm feeling your pain for sure. I will never cut my bangs again, (I hope.)

Curlsgirl
May 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I cut my bangs last week after not having any for about 7 years. I HATE them. They part funny and just don't look right. I'm feeling your pain for sure. I will never cut my bangs again, (I hope.)

Awwwwww I hate when I do something like that! At least you get to experience the fun things about growing them out! That is what I am TRYING to focus on! I have been doing the sideswept thing a lot to soften and liking it a little more.

Cloverleaf
May 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Hey Curlsgirl, I think I'm at about the same point as you - just getting to nose-length. I can't wait until it will all tuck behind the ears. Glad to join you on the journey!

Loviatar
May 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm growing out my bangs. Mine now reach the bottoms of my glasses lenses. I run aloe gel through them once my hair's washed (or I wet them in the morning if I'm not washing my hair that day) and make a side part, then sweep them to the side.

I've grown from short Bettie bangs to where I am now without really noticing the growth this way.

Curlsgirl
May 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hey Curlsgirl, I think I'm at about the same point as you - just getting to nose-length. I can't wait until it will all tuck behind the ears. Glad to join you on the journey!

:love: Great!

Rini
May 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Curlsgirl :inlove:......I'm so glad you're still posting here :D Some ppl I used to "know" seem to have gone :(

One more thing: I used to use my mini flexi8 ALOT when my fringe was about nose length. Just grab all the fringe hair and pull it straight back leaving some height and then secure to your head with the flexi. I liked this with updos, I thought it looked very sophisticated :)

Curlsgirl
May 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Curlsgirl :inlove:......I'm so glad you're still posting here :D Some ppl I used to "know" seem to have gone :(

One more thing: I used to use my mini flexi8 ALOT when my fringe was about nose length. Just grab all the fringe hair and pull it straight back leaving some height and then secure to your head with the flexi. I liked this with updos, I thought it looked very sophisticated :)

I have a mini flexi! I will definitely try that! I have done that with little bendable clips too and I like them pretty well. Also the headband thing with the updos are very popular here now at least for more casual days. I have one headband that doesn't hurt my head. I think I just really need time to get used to my giant exposed forehead :o

I am SO glad to see you here! Hope you stick around a while!

heidihug
May 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
It will be fun to see how everyone progresses in their grow-out journey! Does everyone have "before" pics so they can track their growth?

OMG, Heidihug, I love your signature!!! :-)

Thanks, mellie! It was taken in Negril, Jamaica. I want to go back! [sniff] ETA - or did you mean the Chinese bun? Hee. Not as exciting, but I like that updo on me, too.

Curlsgirl
May 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
It will be fun to see how everyone progresses in their grow-out journey! Does everyone have "before" pics so they can track their growth?

I think there may be one in my blog. Right now I am more and more wanting my bangs clipped back. I find they look pretty good clipped back with a french braid or with a little bit of side bang.

Lamb
May 5th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I have a love-hate relationship with my bangs. I part my hair on the left and my bangs just part there naturally, too, so they frame my face nicely - but then, I am still just sporting a bob. A curly one at that. I will definitely keep the side part when my hair is long enough for a bun or updo (I look *horrible* with my hair drawn back, plus my hair is thin on the sides).
I am, however, growing out my bangs now - I'll never know whether I look better without them if I don't try!

domonic_uk
May 5th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I used to hide mine under a hat

lady G
May 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM
i am in a shall i grow mine out or not dilemma right now! i have a bob and i am growing it long and can't decide if i want the blunt fringe in now or not! i love it in winter but in summer it gets too hot and the fringe feels horrid :mad:

Zindell
May 6th, 2008, 08:22 AM
i am in a shall i grow mine out or not dilemma right now! i have a bob and i am growing it long and can't decide if i want the blunt fringe in now or not! i love it in winter but in summer it gets too hot and the fringe feels horrid :mad:

Then start growing it out ... you can always cut it back in a few minutes if/when you change your mind! ;)

lady G
May 6th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Then start growing it out ... you can always cut it back in a few minutes if/when you change your mind! ;)

yes i think i will try! its gonna be a pain though its a thick blunt fringe:mad:

jojo
May 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM
A special thanks to everyone for commiserating!!!! :love:

RINI, SO good to see you my dear!!! You look lovely as always and as much as I loved your red hair I love your blond more!!! You would look pretty with purple and green polka dotted hair though! :D NOT kidding!

What do you all think is the cutest length for updo bangs besides eyebrow length? Nose tip, chin length?

with your beautiful curls id say chin length, it will look so romantic with a few curls framing your face.

jojo
May 6th, 2008, 08:25 PM
yes i think i will try! its gonna be a pain though its a thick blunt fringe:mad: i grew from a blunt fringe, last January it was above eye brow, i didnt start growing them again until last May and Ive cut an inch off them altogether since then now they are just under my chin, hope this encourages you, check my photos out.

your fringe will just blend in and once you pass the tip of nose stage, they just get easier. x

Patrycja
May 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM
well...I didn't want to be herebut I figure I'll get some support...
I have bangs that I absolutely LOVE but,due to finances,I can't keep them.oh hum.I can't afford the trimming they require and I can't seem to do it right myself.Too scared to do more than a dusting,afraid I'll take them off and have crooked fringe.
so,here I am,growing them out.I should also say I don't have the time to style them and that they basically go back in bobby pins when my hair is down or up.So,whats the point of keeping them?
they are currently to my nose,grew all the way from the middle of my eye since December.
Again-I keep them back with bobby pins or a miniclaw clip.

lady G
May 8th, 2008, 01:01 AM
i grew from a blunt fringe, last January it was above eye brow, i didnt start growing them again until last May and Ive cut an inch off them altogether since then now they are just under my chin, hope this encourages you, check my photos out.

your fringe will just blend in and once you pass the tip of nose stage, they just get easier. x

wow yes you did it and looks fab by the way! i have grown a fringe out before i think thats what puts me off lol i know its a pain but if i decide to do it then i will come on here for encouragement in moments of weakness lol :)

Tap Dancer
May 8th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I will never go back now as I love the convenience of not having to style anything and also if my hair is a bit greasy, it doesn't show :D I'm actually starting to like my forehead too...widows peak and all!

ITA! I had bangs for 29½ years. I tried to grow them out off and on for 15 years so I always had some form of bangs: thick, thin, long, short, layered... I was convinced I'd look back without them. Well, I finally took the plunge and stuck with it. I love how my hair looks now! I used to have to wet them in the morning because they looked crazy and greasy. And it would take me forever to trim them because I'm a perfectionist. Life is easier for me now without the constant struggle of annoying bangs. :D

FrannyG
May 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I wore very short bangs until I began growing them out in November of '06. They are now past my collarbone when pulled straight. It is the longest growing-out journey I've ever experienced, but I got through it. The way I coped before they would go behind my ears was to clip them back, or to put them in a partial French braid, that I started right at my front hairline. The turning point for me was really when I could put them behind my ears, which was perhaps last August. Since then it's been a breeze.

If I can do it, and I quite literally had bangs all of my life, I just know you can do it, Curlsgirl. :cheer: You'll be glad you did. :flowers:

Jean Genie
May 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I'm just starting to grow my bangs out, too. My hair is curly, so I'm hoping they will just blend with the rest of my hair along the way :) I have Bettie bangs right now, so it will be a bit of a challenge, but I just need to hang in there. I can't wait until I get to the point that I can tuck them behind my ears!

jojo
May 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
wow yes you did it and looks fab by the way! i have grown a fringe out before i think thats what puts me off lol i know its a pain but if i decide to do it then i will come on here for encouragement in moments of weakness lol :)
thanks, yes it takes dedication, this is my first time ever with no fringe, i just come on here when i get the urge to cut!! :)

Curlsgirl
May 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I wore very short bangs until I began growing them out in November of '06. They are now past my collarbone when pulled straight. It is the longest growing-out journey I've ever experienced, but I got through it. The way I coped before they would go behind my ears was to clip them back, or to put them in a partial French braid, that I started right at my front hairline. The turning point for me was really when I could put them behind my ears, which was perhaps last August. Since then it's been a breeze.

If I can do it, and I quite literally had bangs all of my life, I just know you can do it, Curlsgirl. :cheer: You'll be glad you did. :flowers:Thanks Franny! You are such a dear!

thanks, yes it takes dedication, this is my first time ever with no fringe, i just come on here when i get the urge to cut!! :)Great! Me too!!! So far so good, liking them better than I ever have at this point.

MissHair
May 9th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Bangs, December 2007: 12 centimeters
Bangs May 2008: 17 centimeters

That means there was only 5 centimeters grown in 5 months, I thought it was gonna be more but it wasnt.

Nynaeve
May 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I wish I could find a better way of keeping my "bangs" down.
Let me explain the "bangs" bit. I have never cut bangs into my hair, but I have a permanent set of bangs around my head that go down to almost my chin. They're long enough to tuck behind my ear, buy not really long enough to stay in a ponytail or low ponytail, and they right their way out of braids fairly quickly. When I was younger, back when I played soccer, I would get hot and sweaty and my bangs would make a curly halo around my head. :D

Curlsgirl
May 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Wore my bangs completely back today in a barrette! It only came to about the crown of my head but with a flat barrette it looked okay. I felt like I looked ugly though and OLD. Good grief. It sure feels good though not having to keep brushing my bangs back or worrying about them tickling my forehead or face. I wore the rest down, just put the front section up. Still hanging in there anyway!

Rini
May 13th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Ugly?? Old??? You??? :confused: Surely not! We really are our own worst critics.

I did think of something else for you today though. Here is a technique I use to contain all the short bits that fly around (I'm wearing my hair like this today actually): grab your fringe hair and start twisting/rolling up and away from your face, continue down the side of your head, grabbing more hair and twisting until you get to the back. Secure this bit with something (like a claw), then start on the other side of your face with the twisting. Once you have both bits at the back, you can twist together into a bun (take out claw clip) or french twist. It gets all your hair up, but I think it looks softer and more romantic.

Here is a pic I found (I have red hair here...it's from a year and a half ago):
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/hair/rolledhair2.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/hair/rolledhair4.jpg

My fringe is really quite short in these pics too!

Does that make sense??

Curlsgirl
May 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Ugly?? Old??? You??? :confused: Surely not! We really are our own worst critics.

I did think of something else for you today though. Here is a technique I use to contain all the short bits that fly around (I'm wearing my hair like this today actually): grab your fringe hair and start twisting/rolling up and away from your face, continue down the side of your head, grabbing more hair and twisting until you get to the back. Secure this bit with something (like a claw), then start on the other side of your face with the twisting. Once you have both bits at the back, you can twist together into a bun (take out claw clip) or french twist. It gets all your hair up, but I think it looks softer and more romantic.

Here is a pic I found (I have red hair here...it's from a year and a half ago):
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/hair/rolledhair2.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/missrini8/hair/rolledhair4.jpg

My fringe is really quite short in these pics too!

Does that make sense??

Yes I totally LOVE it! I am not sure my hair would do that though! Since I am growing out my bangs I have a LOT of straight sticky uppy hairs all over, new hairs I guess that I never noticed when I had shorter bangs. :rolleyes:I am thinking they would just sort of pop out of the twists but maybe not if I dampened the hair and added some gel or something. I will definitely try it and THANKS! I did have someone tell me this morning they LOVE my hair without the bangs!! I am finally able to sort of part it over on one side and sweep it across and pin it so it LOOKS like no bangs. :cheese: I think I am gonna make it this time!!!!

Rini
May 13th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Yes I think that if you did it on damp hair or with a bit of AVG it would work very well for the shorter bits.

Post pics if you do this!!

share801
May 14th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I've made it to past chin for the first time in my life and I love it!! Never again will I cut bangs! Hang in there!

n3m3sis42
May 14th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Curlsgirl, I grew out thick, straight-across bangs a few years ago. I pulled them back in all sorts of really "special" looking styles such as a small ponytail on the very crown of my head with one of those terry cloth ponytail holders. It looked stupid, but I couldn't stand having them in my face.

I'm glad that's over now. You can do it!! :)

Let me explain the "bangs" bit. I have never cut bangs into my hair, but I have a permanent set of bangs around my head that go down to almost my chin. They're long enough to tuck behind my ear, buy not really long enough to stay in a ponytail or low ponytail, and they right their way out of braids fairly quickly.

Oh, so it's not just me then. I have what I used to call "mini-bangs". I'm sure that in my case, it's just breakage from the dreaded hair ties (which I've been using less and less). But I always have a good bit of face-framing shorter hair even if I don't intentionally cut bangs.

Chamomile betty
May 14th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hi Curlsgirl.
I really think you'll look great with no bangs.
I've worn bangs my whole life and it's just how you get used to looking at yourself. I just resently decided to wear my bangs to the side and a bit longer.

Go buy some little clips or pins to pull some of your bangs back. I think you'd look wonderful with a little clip or pin to the side.

Rini, your hair is beautiful.

Curlsgirl
May 14th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I haven't taken time yet to do any of this. In the morning I am always so hurried I either leave them to the side or use a little bendy clip to hold them back. I think it may be a little like starting to wear my hair curly. It definitely took a while of seeing myself like that to get used to it and then I really liked it. NOW I really don't like it STRAIGHT! I promise I will take a pic if I do anything intricate like you all described and thanks so much for all the encouragement all of you!! I LOVE THIS PLACE!! :love:

Rini
May 14th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Rini, your hair is beautiful.

Thank you :flowers: I did enjoy the red hair while it lasted....

Curlsgirl
May 15th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Today I parted my hair in the center. I had forgotten how I used to wear it like that because I liked it better than on the side. Anyway, I twisted my bangs up into the hair on each side and used little claw clips to hold. I really REALLY like it! I was just wondering..which way to you twist the hair to make it look like the pics above you know adding hair as you go to make a pretty roll type thing? I feel sort of stupid for asking this but I can't figure it out. :o I think I did one side the wrong way or either I didn't add enough hair as I went. Anyway, my hair is starting to feel GREAT off of my forehead!!! I hadn't realized how much those bangs had been a nuisance at times!:shrug:

Rini
May 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM
OK...I'm not too good at written explanations:

I grab the hair and twist up and away from my face. So on my right hand side, the twist would go counter clockwise if you were looking down it like a tube (and standing next to me on my right hand side). On my left hand side, it would look clockwise if you were standing next to me on my left side. So you twist in the opposite direction depending on which side of the face you are on. This also means that when they meet in the back, they are opposing.

Does that make sense? :shrug: (and this is coming from someone on the other side of the world where the toilets flush the "right" way!! hehehe :p)

Curlsgirl
May 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM
OK...I'm not too good at written explanations:

I grab the hair and twist up and away from my face. So on my right hand side, the twist would go counter clockwise if you were looking down it like a tube (and standing next to me on my right hand side). On my left hand side, it would look clockwise if you were standing next to me on my left side. So you twist in the opposite direction depending on which side of the face you are on. This also means that when they meet in the back, they are opposing.

Does that make sense? :shrug: (and this is coming from someone on the other side of the world where the toilets flush the "right" way!! hehehe :p)

Oh Rini you are SO hilarious! Yes and I totally understood that (amazingly enough) :D Thanks! I did a French braid and caught my bangs in it today and though it looks weird still to me I really LOVE the comfort of it! SO glad I have a style that I can do to to get them out of my way with no pins!!! YAYYYYYYY!

Signed,
Gets excited about stupid things :p

Rini
May 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hey, I know....why don't we make a list of all the good things about growing out your fringe/bangs? It could be inspirational for those who are growing out.

I'll start:

- adds to the overall thickness of your hair (watch that ponytail circumference grow!)
- can go with unwashed hair for longer (can't see it so much when all hair is up)
- more comfortable in hot or windy weather
- lessens the effect of "hat hair"
- reduces time to style hair as you don't have to worry about that "extra bit" that often won't co-operate!
- shows off your whole face (can be a good thing you know!)
- can wash your face without having to pin back or wear a headband
- more convenient when exercising and sweating

I'm sure there are more. Anyone care to add?

Tap Dancer
May 20th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Hey, I know....why don't we make a list of all the good things about growing out your fringe/bangs? It could be inspirational for those who are growing out.

I'll start:

- adds to the overall thickness of your hair (watch that ponytail circumference grow!)
- can go with unwashed hair for longer (can't see it so much when all hair is up)
- reduces time to style hair as you don't have to worry about that "extra bit" that often won't co-operate!

Less breakouts on your forehead! :)

dukkelisa
May 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I have been using an old fashion pin curl to get bangs out of my face as I grow them out. I wet my hands before bed, grab my bangs and wrap them around my finger and push off into a coil above my hairline and secure with two bobby pins crossed. It stays in all night and in the morning, I can brush it back into a wave, let it hang in a side curl (see pic) or arrange into my hairstyle.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/whitepearls/DSC04949.jpg

lady G
May 21st, 2008, 02:02 AM

I'll start:

yes!!!!!!! this is helping me a lot, i get forehead breakouts in summer with a fringe, just started growing mine out the other day and you know my hair grows so fast i used to trim my fringe every week and a half so already its looking a bit longer, today i have it to the side, i feel like i look odd but i will get used to it, when its long enough i will twist it up on the top like a small bump you know what i mean i am sure lol i think that looks nice a few girls at work have done this when growing out a fringe.

xx

WilfredAllen
June 24th, 2013, 10:23 AM

I'll start:

- greater versatility in hair styles
- greater versatility in looks you can pull off (for me, I want to stop having people describe my looks as cute.. I feel like I'm getting way too old for that)
- you can get a forehead tan (currently working on this - the bottom half of my face is darker!)
- no more bi-weekly/monthly trims!
- You can really show off a cool pair of glasses or sun glasses. (I mean, later, when it's normal. Anything on my face just looks awful while it's pinned or headbanded back)

patienceneeded
June 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM
My fringe is nearly all able to be tucked behind my ear now! I had my stylist reshape them at my last trim so they would look a bit better while growing out. I had the "Zooey" bangs originally, then switched them to a side-swept as they got longer. However, they were not shaped right for side-swept and were like a WALL of hair. My stylist left them long - but did cut the new shape and then thinned them to be less of a wall. It's a lot easier to pin them back now when my hair is up, plus they can be left loose if I don't wear my hair up.

jacqueline101
June 24th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I'm growing out my pixie part and it's Adam apple length. It's a pain to grow them out.

WilfredAllen
July 21st, 2013, 11:42 AM
My bangs hit cheekbone length dry! Now I can wear them down and not pinned back without looking like a freak. It still looks bad, but it's fine for going to the convenience store or accidentally looking in a mirror

patienceneeded
July 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM
My bangs are entirely chin-length now. Not bad. Hoping for shoulder by mid-autumn.

WilfredAllen
July 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM
I have been using an old fashion pin curl to get bangs out of my face as I grow them out. I wet my hands before bed, grab my bangs and wrap them around my finger and push off into a coil above my hairline and secure with two bobby pins crossed. It stays in all night and in the morning, I can brush it back into a wave, let it hang in a side curl (see pic) or arrange into my hairstyle.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/whitepearls/DSC04949.jpg

I didn't see this before! What a cool idea... I may try it!

silvertongue
July 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM
I feel everyone's pain. I have been trying to grow my bangs out for a year. My hair grows fast so it should be easy, but I have to keep cutting back to get rid of bleach damage. Doing so means I have less hair I need to dye to match the rest (I use semipermanent dye).

My bangs betray me with their greasiness. If my bangs are greasy, I wash my hair, even if the rest of my hair isn't that greasy. I can't wait until my bangs are gone. Most of my bangs are chin-length or nearly, but I have some "sprouts" that just never grow. Stubborn little fellas! (Hmm, what constitutes one bang, anyway? I think I prefer the term fringe.)

And that concludes my rant which no one will read :P

Leeloo
July 21st, 2013, 03:08 PM
I read your rant silvertongue! :p
My bangs are just short of being able to put them behind the ears

DMARTINEZ
July 21st, 2013, 03:37 PM
Bangs are just below chin, 5 head be darned,,im not having bangs! LOL

goldenlady
July 21st, 2013, 03:55 PM
I had full bangs a couple of years ago.. They have finally reached past chin-length and now match up with my shortest layer.. Still got massive hatred for them, but I think another few inches and they'll be completely disappeared. I found that trimming it diagonally myself made it blend in during the growing-out phase.

Dhenianne
July 22nd, 2013, 05:32 AM
Growing out bangs here!!! at this moment im being able to put them behind my ears!
I never had bangs in my life, but a year ago i felt the "need" of changing my look and i just did it (i knew that i would regret of it, but you know...).. I hate it!
I wish to have my bangs grown more than having my hair reaching waist!!
I want thicker hair, and i think this is a way!

WilfredAllen
July 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
(Hmm, what constitutes one bang, anyway? I think I prefer the term fringe.)

I think they're like "pants"

MaryMarx
July 22nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Well, here are my lovely bangs, with a subtle wave. It won't stay behind my ears though they're almost SL. Love it. :angry:

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t399/schakt/DSC09598_zps6210b3d6.jpg

LongCurlyTress
July 22nd, 2013, 04:04 PM
Acckkkkk! They are almost to the tip of my nose and a couple of weeks to tucking behind my ears! YAYYYYY!! I am still having such a hard time getting use to how I look though. How long does it take that to go away? I have had bangs for years and years. Does that make it harder? I feel like I look older without them but I have the same face so can that really be true? Why should I care? Grrrrrrrrrr, I wish I could just go on and not worry about that part! I know it will be much easier without them as I can already tell.

Please come beside me and feel my pain and tell me how you are doing in the journey or how you DID and got through it!
Hi Curlsgirl! I am going through the exact same thing as you are with my curly bangs. A couple of weeks ago, I cut my bangs back to mid-nose bridge. They had grown out to a couple inches past the tip of my nose. I did like them the first couple of days, but it is so hard to style them and having them on my face in hot weather is driving me crazy! I am just blow drying them straight back, kind of curving them back around my first two fingers to try to train them to go backwards. Then they are sprayed and told to stay in place and I have been putting the rest of my hair into a bun or ponytail. Why? Why? Why did I just recut them? In 4 months, they will be 2 inches longer... 4 more months... cheers! You are not alone!

H.e.L
July 23rd, 2013, 12:37 AM
I've been trying for months now to see improvement on my razored "face-framing" bangs. Actually, 'bangs' isn't exactly true, it's more like "weird tapered strands that never seem to get any longer." It's like they just kinda crumble when they hit chin length. :grumble:

twinklingbell
July 23rd, 2013, 05:57 AM
WARNING, LONG POST/RANT AHEAD:
I've had bangs all my life. When my hair became curly and thick, so did my bangs. Finally, after being teased in school for my hairstyle, I bought a straightener for my bangs and grew out most of them to give me a thinner, more manageable fringe. Now I have one layer of blunt bangs, and collarbone length grown out bangs that I think look so beautiful, so lately I wanted to grow out my last blunt bangs. My mom wouldn't let me, and actually argued with me about it for hours at a time. She has bangs herself, and insisted that I wouldn't look good without them. But gradually I got her used to the idea and she said she let me, even though she still gives her opinion against it sometimes. She doesn't like my hair side swept (but I think that's my best look), but she does like it pulled back, especially with a single braid. So pulled back I'll wear it...anything to finally grow them out without starting another hair-war :argue: with my mom!!!
One thing I like about my bangs is that they make my half ups, ponytails, braids, and buns look more... decorated and cute. I don't know, it's sort of like my insurance against looking bad, or something. :hmm:
Anyway, I'm determined to start growing out my bangs,I just hope that I'll be able to pull off the sideswept/no-bangs look. Right now I do look very "cute", but if I can pull off the no bangs look, I could possibly look more "beautiful and classic", like the mermaid in my avatar... I'll never know until I try, and I can always cut them again if I really need to... :shrug:
Okay, that's the end of my long post/rant. I hope I'll be able to finally begin the growing out bangs journey and have progress to post here. :) This is a wonderful thread by the way. Good luck to everyone on your journeys! :cheer:

Rebecka
July 23rd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Well, here are my lovely bangs, with a subtle wave. It won't stay behind my ears though they're almost SL. Love it. :angry:

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t399/schakt/DSC09598_zps6210b3d6.jpg

Mine are the same length! Had full bangs 1,5 years ago. The worst part is probably over :D

Juniper.
July 23rd, 2013, 01:44 PM
I'm currently growing out my fringe. It's about 1cm past my nose if pulled taut and at that awkward, annoying stage where it's not long enough to tuck behind my ears, but too long to have hanging infront of my face. The edges will just go behind my ears but the middle part is has a way to go :(

I did like having a fringe (I'd had it about 2 years) and felt it suited me but I just fancy a change now. I'm sure I'll cut one in again in the future.

MaryMarx
July 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM
Mine are the same length! Had full bangs 1,5 years ago. The worst part is probably over :D

Are yours as uncontrollable? It's a pain in the a**! The worst thing is I've already done this journey just a few years ago, I caved in and cut it back, probably around this length. :p
But you're right, probably just a few inches more to weigh it down and then it's smooth sailing... :)

shutterpillar
July 23rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
*FINALLY* my bangs are able to be pulled back in a bun! I stopped trimming them in January. I still have a few hairs that fall down, but I kinda like how they soften things. :)

Vivalagina
July 23rd, 2013, 03:03 PM
So I think I am going to join this thread. I just cut in bangs about 2 months ago, and while I do like them I don't want to keep up with the maintenance of trimming them all the time. I don't regret getting them since I ended up cutting off the worst of the tangled bleach damage. I'm not planning another trim until next March, I think they should be chin length by then. :cheese:

Rebecka
July 23rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Are yours as uncontrollable? It's a pain in the a**! The worst thing is I've already done this journey just a few years ago, I caved in and cut it back, probably around this length. :p
But you're right, probably just a few inches more to weigh it down and then it's smooth sailing... :)

Not really... The only thing that bothers me is when they get like a curl that goes straight into my face, hate that. But mostly i wear it up. It is already in my pony tails and buns, just want it to fit into an english braid too now :)

MaryMarx
July 24th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Not really... The only thing that bothers me is when they get like a curl that goes straight into my face, hate that. But mostly i wear it up. It is already in my pony tails and buns, just want it to fit into an english braid too now :)

Yeah, wearing it up is the only thing you can do about it. :) Mine won't stay in ponytails, bobby pins have saved my life... or my bang's life! ;)

harpyangel
July 24th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I am growing out my fringe too! Had a full fringe on and off since I was 15. I really like the look but hate how you can get it looking perfect, then step outside and one gust of wind ruins it!

So I'm trying a new look, not used to seeing my whole face! When my forehead starts to get wrinkly I'll get my fringe back!

I've been growing my fringe for about... 2 months, its mid-nose length, oh the joys!

CurlMonster
July 24th, 2013, 04:44 AM
It's funny to read this thread because I kept my fringe cut at 'too-long for a fringe' between nose and chin length for years because I liked clipping it up in a quiff or pouf on top of my head. I always thought it was a very flattering look, so it's funny hear you all struggling through this stage! At the moment I'm sort of growing out my fringe (it's at about collarbone length now, I suppose you could consider that already grown out) because I want the added thickness in my hair, but I am hating having to part my hair after years of having no part! :) Grass is always greener I suppose.

DrachenBelladon
July 24th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Once I grew my bangs to chin length then decided to razor them because it looked really nice on this youtube girl -_-

ProverbsGirl
July 24th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I am kicking myself right now. I spent six months growing mine out. My husband said he did not like it. I ended up chopping them again and absolutely hate them. They literally make getting ready a lot harder in the am. Can not believe I have had them my entire life. I loved not having them. Now back to growing them back out again. :P plus I got a ton of comments without them. They are going and staying gone this time. Grrr

Cowgirl16
July 25th, 2013, 01:04 PM
This is my third try at growing out my bangs. I ride my motorcycle to work everyday and I was getting really tierd of having helmet head. My bangs were to my chin the last time, I'm not sure I really like "me" without bangs...I have a fivehead :rolleyes:
So this time I am growing them out into side bangs; right now they're at my upper lip. I hope I like them.:confused: My stylist is on vacation and as soon as she gets back I am going to have her shape them up for me :D Wish me luck!

clioariane
July 26th, 2013, 09:19 AM
It took me nearly 2 years to get my blunt bangs to collarbone! Hair clips, diadems and headbands are your friends.

Natalina
July 26th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Hi, I'm trying to grow out bangs myself. I haven't had bangs for years and I thought I wanted to try it out again. I cut them myself just by learning this easy method from Youtube, and to my surprise, they looked great! It turned out to be a swept side bang with a little flip at the end and looks kinda cool. But it was more maintenance than it's worth.

Now I'm desperately wanting it to grow back. Until that day comes, I clip it back and out of my face. :p

twinklingbell
August 5th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I just reached my first milestone, on the growing out bangs journey (maybe the most important one for me personally)! The milestone is that I have pretty much gotten used to my face with my blunt bangs clipped back. In fact, I prefer my ponytail, braid, and maybe even my updos without bangs now. I don't know about half ups though...that hairstyle looked great with my bangs. But when I put my bangs back on my forehead, I liked it for a few minutes, then I wanted them gone again (they aren't longer yet because I had trimmed them two weeks ago for the last time ever.). So I'm sure now that I'm making the right choice of growing them out. Someday, I might cut my blunt bangs in again if I really miss them, but for now I'm ready for a change. Plus, my mom has been really cool about my decision to grow them out lately. I know that she'd still rather that I'd keep them, but she said she's not going to make me anymore. She even likes my ponytail without bangs! :joy: Woohoo!