PDA

View Full Version : Best Braids

PhillyGirl1978@
March 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM
Ok so I was looking in one of these braids threads about them being in season again. And I looked at a link that showed a really nice messy side braid. It looked really nice. It seemed like a great way for me to wear my hair, still show off my length but keep it protected and safe and possibly even oil it before hand. I only have very basic braiding skills, typical 3 strand braid that's all I know. As you can see I have very curly thick hair. How do braids work for curlies and what would the best braids be for me? Not sure if I could do one down my back. I think a braid could end up being a good sleep style when the pineapple gets too long which is gonna be soon!lol Also would I need to wait until I am longer beings I am curly and I think curlies might have to wait a little longer to make some styles look nice.

verene
March 21st, 2010, 11:24 AM
I think curlies can definitely wear braids! A girl I went to high school with had (and I'm sure still has) hair similar to yours. She used to wear it braided pig-tails, a regular english braid, and a french braid, frequently. All of the styles looked cute on her, and her curls gave the french braid a very romantic look.

yellowchariot
March 21st, 2010, 11:32 AM
Hey PhillyGirl1978@,

IMO any braid would be a great protective idea, even the basic 3 strand. You should be able to do a lot of awesome styles with your current length (it looks fairly long) :thumbsup:. I'd recommend looking through some of the member's tutorials. That's how I learned different methods to secure my hair. Also hit up youtube for some great ideas.

Hope this helps!

Sylvanas
March 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
I misread the title and thought "Wow, now we're talking saggy breasts!"...

On a related note, I think a looser braid swept over one shoulder looks really pretty on curly girls. Especially if it's not braided all the way down. Very soft and romantic :)

Chamomile betty
March 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM
I love sleeping in a braid at night. I secure the nape, braid, then secure the ends.
Usually I apply some olive oil to my ends.

Braids are a great protective style. Also, they look nice. You could jazz it up during the day with some pretty ribbons or clips.

PhillyGirl1978@
March 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
I misread the title and thought "Wow, now we're talking saggy breasts!"...

On a related note, I think a looser braid swept over one shoulder looks really pretty on curly girls. Especially if it's not braided all the way down. Very soft and romantic :)

LOL!! That's funny!

I think the messy braid type and curly hair looks really romantic too.

PhillyGirl1978@
March 21st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Ribbons might look really nice something loose casual and romantic, I think they'd be perfect for spring. I do really like the idea of it braided down over one shoulder, but not quite braided all the way. As far as using the braid for the sleep style, how much do you think it would disturb the curl pattern? I mean because my hair is so much, I usually just shower and "do it" at night, I sleep in a pineapple and it still looks cool in the morning. So if I were to braid it I wonder if it would still look cool in the morning, or maybe even nicer, maybe it would loosen my curls a bit that might be good. Also I will be (hopefully) changing my routine as I am up for a new IRS job that would be at night, so I would have ample time in the day to shower and do my hair so it may end up being irrelevant by April 12th, keep your fingers crossed for me!lol

3azza
March 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
You should try the french braid. It's awesome. I sometimes face a problem with tangling strands, so it does not work for me all the time. That is the only skill i've learnt here apart from the regular 3 strands braid although i've also tried fish braid and rope braid but they gave me a hard time :( I guess it needs tangle free hair and some practice.

PhillyGirl1978@
March 30th, 2010, 12:10 PM
So I have been doing a very basic side braid, over my shoulder, to sleep in lately, instead of the pineapple which had gotten big a floppy!lol So far so good...it works great and it calms my curls down for the next day. I can even braid it while it is a little damp and leave it like that all night, in the morning the curls are a little looser...so far I like it. I think it will be a much appreciated style when my hair gets longer.