PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bunjiis - SOLD

Cinnamon Hair
May 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
1 light pink (sold & shipped)
1 bright pink with stripes (sold)

$35 each covers shipping to US, add $2.50 elsewhere. Accept Paypal or money order, maybe check.

Pics to come later tonight.

I swear this is the last time I'll be selling bunjiis, I don't have any more. I had planned on saving these as a "just in case I ever change my mind about them" hairtoy, but found other things I would like to have instead and these are burning a hole in my hairtoy allowance pocket.

doodlesmart
May 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
PMing about light pink

LisaJaney
May 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Man, every time I see these going for $35, I remember selling almost all mine off for $5 or less apiece...

Cinnamon Hair
May 4th, 2008, 12:23 AM
http://classiclength.googlepages.com/bunjiis2pink.jpg
Bright pink one has short blue stripes and length-wise stripes of pink and bright pink.

LisaJaney, there is value in scarcity :D That's why I just can't let them sit unworn.

Thank you for funding my Graydog addiction!

LisaJaney
May 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah, they were scarce when I sold mine, too, but I knew what I'd paid for them (I got them when a lot of us did -- when Brad was selling the black-hubbed ones for three bucks apiece) and could not bring myself to charge more than five for them when I'd only paid three because I view this place as family. I still have two or three that are "sitting unworn", one of which is a sterling-silver-hubbed pink one. But IF I ever sell them, the price will be in the neighborhood of what *I* paid, regardless what the "scarcity value" is. On eBay, that's another story. But here, to my friends? Not a chance. :twocents:

Shanarana
May 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
There is no place to buy these? I like them and would buy one, but would like darker colors. Pink is not a good color for me.

Carolyn
May 4th, 2008, 09:28 AM
LJ if you ever want to sell your pink/silver one, I bet we could make a swap of some kind. If not I might just pay you some big bucks :D I'm such a hair toy ho :p

PseudoScot
May 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM
There is no place to buy these? I like them and would buy one, but would like darker colors. Pink is not a good color for me.

Unfortunately with bunjis you'll just have to wait and see. They are no longer in production so you have to hang out and try here for the best luck. In all truth they can be found on the Swap Board usually much cheaper but it's hit and miss. They are scarce and do appreciate in value so it's a bit of a gambit. You could try and ISO [in search of] thread but again, it all depends.

Cinnamon Hair
May 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, they were scarce when I sold mine, too, but I knew what I'd paid for them (I got them when a lot of us did -- when Brad was selling the black-hubbed ones for three bucks apiece) and could not bring myself to charge more than five for them when I'd only paid three because I view this place as family. I still have two or three that are "sitting unworn", one of which is a sterling-silver-hubbed pink one. But IF I ever sell them, the price will be in the neighborhood of what *I* paid, regardless what the "scarcity value" is. On eBay, that's another story. But here, to my friends? Not a chance. :twocents:

Well if I could only sell these for the price I paid, then I would hold on to them. For anything less than $30 they are worth saving in case I ever decided to use them. :shrug:
Your post seems a bit critical.

LisaJaney
May 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
So there's NO confusion, my mod-hat is decidedly OFF for this whole thread. Think of me as just another member, stating what is on their heart:

IIRC, the original full-retail-price for black-hubbed bunjiis with no beads was in the neighborhood of $10-12, tops. (I'm thinking seven-to-ten, but am trying to err on the side of caution) Beaded ones were a bit more but not hugely more expensive. A couple bucks more, maybe.

If my post seems critical, it's probably because I feel bad for the members to pay top-dollar with no consideration given to "friends doing a favor for one another because of association". I can't help but feel that this is a little like "shooting fish in a barrel", that's all. This is not the first time you've sold bunjiis for this high price, and I feel bad to see our members paying that much. I nearly choked the first time you sold them at $35, but I kept my mouth shut. And I felt lousy afterwards. This time, I coudln't keep it shut in good conscience, that's all. Just so that people know what's going on and what the original prices were a mere 4 - 5 years ago, that's all I'm interested in. These are not antiques.

I am not jealous, I do not wish I could turn back time and hike my prices to thirty-five apiece so I could have had $280 instead of $40 in my pocket. Bunjiis suck my hair into the hubs and they pull on individual hairs in my pony. Knowing that they were not good on my hair was just another reason to keep the price reasonable so that someone didn't pay too much for something that doesn't work for them, either. I hope my buyers had better luck than I did, but who knows? I set my prices according to my concern "will it really work for you?" and according to the notion that I was "selling to family".

And lest you think I'm picking on you alone: at the now-archived site, I remember someone getting a certain hairtoy at a renfair and later selling it on the boards. They were asking something like $40 for it because they'd paid nearly that for it. Then it was learned that the exact same item sold for $20 elsewhere, and the seller was notified and they lowered the price to what was reasonable for the item.

Cinnamon Hair
May 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
LisaJaney, I'm not interested in arguing with you over ethics or what is "fair" since that's a personal thing which is different for everyone. I'll simply say that if you wish to make a friendly gesture with your remaining bunjiis to the LHC members, then that is your perogative. I won't be making that decision myself and I think your generous nature is probably in the minority, even on LHC. We have quite a few membesr who sell hairtoys or products...following your advice they should sell to LHCers at cost? Not likely.

You mentioned it would be better to sell them on ebay if I'm looking to turn a profit. Seriously, what is the likelihood a NON LHC ebay would buy a bunjii? Chances are it would be scooped up by someone from LHC who has a search saved for bunjii, and then I'm in the same predicament of selling to friends.

I'll be using the profits to purchase other hairtoys, including this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170215985355&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007). I'm hardly striking it rich selling bunjiis.

akurah
May 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Or they can go here and purchase one of these babies. Not quite the same thing, but certainly does the same job:
http://www.smoothiesbyintuition.com/ponytail-holders-bungee-bands.html

redbark
May 4th, 2008, 11:56 PM
We have so many crafty ones here. Can someone not turn the faux bungi into the "real" covetted bungis by changing the hardware? I have seen quite a few people wanting these.....

Cinnamon Hair
May 5th, 2008, 12:27 AM
We have so many crafty ones here. Can someone not turn the faux bungi into the "real" covetted bungis by changing the hardware? I have seen quite a few people wanting these.....

Aside from the fact that it would be violating a patent, you would need a machine that molds plastic (or metal) to create the fastener.

CountessDeJager
May 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
What LisaJaney is suggesting is similar to a firm rule from another board I visit dedicated to perfume. There are always short-term scents made that can shoot up in value on eBay but the fan forum has strict price caps. That allows used perfume to be resold there by members who recover costs but not profit. They have that rule in place because the emphasis is friendship among fans and it fosters a very giving culture that works surprisingly well. The idea of selling to earn a profit (often to buy more perfume, just as you are going for another hairtoy) is not frowned upon there but the forum itself may not be used for that purpose though they do have a thread where people can link their eBay sale.

Cinnamon Hair, you do have something of value that is in demand and you shouldn't have to sell it for the price you originally paid but truth in advertising is important. Not everyone here knows Bunjiis only cost a few dollars when new, like LisaJaney I'd hate to think a buyer could come along and feel taken advantage of realizing they have paid for the rarity rather than the quality of the object. I myself plan to sell a Bunjii soon and decided to use the perfum forum as a guide because like you I do want to see what I can get for my rare item. Checking with a mod here I found out I could put a link to my auction in my signature and that is what I plan to do when the time comes. Odds are it will be an LHCer that is the highest bidder but the difference is on eBay people understand they are paying what the market will bear which isn't always what the item is really worth.

Elle
May 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Or they can go here and purchase one of these babies. Not quite the same thing, but certainly does the same job:
http://www.smoothiesbyintuition.com/ponytail-holders-bungee-bands.html
Have you tried these, Akurah? I thought they'd work great but mannn... They tangled up something fierce in my hair! For me, they're worse than a regular hairband. :shake:

wendyg
May 5th, 2008, 05:01 AM
As hair ties, those tiny bungee cords make great cable ties. I can't conceive of trying to wrestle with those hooks in my hair while simultaneously trying to get the cord tight enough to hold anything.

No one's asked my opinion, of course, but ISTM that while LHC is friend*ly*, we are not all close friends; the real-world analogy might be the sewing circle, or perhaps the quilter's guild, where there are some people who come every week and form close friendships, some who show up regularly and have their own little cliques, some who show up occasionally and know at least a few people, and some who remain permanently closed books no matter how often they show, plus the casual visiting stranger.

Would I ask my closest friend to pay $35 for the bunjii I bought on eBay some months back for $10? I don't know. If she wanted it, we'd have a conversation about what it was worth to her, the market price, etc. We might wind up with a long-term loan. Or I might give it to her as a birthday present. In other situations with close friends with negotiations of somewhat larger value we have in fact settled on market price (by mutual agreement) because it was important to all of us that the friendship be preserved without anyone feeling overcharged or exploited. But it would be a negotiation. So is anything posted on the swap board; there is a simple solution for a price that seems overly high: don't pay it. If people perceive the seller's behavior as greedy or exploitive, they will beware her other sales, too.

It seems to me perfectly fair to say, "This is what it will take to make me part with this."

wg

LisaJaney
May 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
For the record (and my mod-hat is still off, lest anyone read a "she's pulling rank" into what I say):

I have NO problem paying artisans for their crafts and wares, and paying them their asking/retail price, which is generally what the market will bear. That is significantly different than buying something and then reselling it at a large profit. The artisan in this case is Brad, not any one of us here.

angelthadiva
May 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I had no idea that bungies sold for $10-12. I realize they are a coveted hair toy, but selling something for 3x the original selling price for a used product, just doesn't seem right.

I guess if you disclose the price and why you are charging what you are (law of supply and demand), then people can make an informed decision.

I wanted to add this PS. to the post...

This very topic was discussed at a hair meet we had recently. I won't mention any names, but one LHC member made a swap with another member and the swaps were supposed to be of equal value. One member was saddened when she found out that what she received was only of a few dollars in value, when what she swapped was in the $20 range...Whether you are "friends" or not, people should use the Golden Rule...Do onto others as you'd have done on to you.

I don't know about anyone else, and I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather lose a few bucks than a friendship, or a potential friendship. :flower:

Cinnamon Hair
May 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
It seems to me perfectly fair to say, "This is what it will take to make me part with this."
wg

Thank you for backing me Wendy.

If you want a bunjii, you can pay the asking price, or take your chances waiting for a cheaper one to appear. Similarly, I would (and have) paid big bucks for a mamacat, which originally sold for $20 a pair. They are rare, and the price corresponds with that. In fact, I wouldn't blink an eye if a pair of mamacat ribbon spirals sold for well over $100 nowadays.

It is a gamble whether a bunjii is worth $35. Personally, I would say it is a bargain and if you look back at the old swap board you will see they are NEVER posted. Furthermore, a higher asking price gives everyone a chance to see it and consider whether they want to purchase. If I priced this at $10 I bet it would be gone before I hit the post thread button.

PseudoScot
May 5th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thank you for backing me Wendy.

If you want a bunjii, you can pay the asking price, or take your chances waiting for a cheaper one to appear. Similarly, I would (and have) paid big bucks for a mamacat, which originally sold for $20 a pair. They are rare, and the price corresponds with that. In fact, I wouldn't blink an eye if a pair of mamacat ribbon spirals sold for well over $100 nowadays.

It is a gamble whether a bunjii is worth $35. Personally, I would say it is a bargain and if you look back at the old swap board you will see they are NEVER posted. Furthermore, a higher asking price gives everyone a chance to see it and consider whether they want to purchase. If I priced this at $10 I bet it would be gone before I hit the post thread button.

Yes, if you priced it a $10 it would be gone fast. And you'd have a happy LHCer. And you'd get back what you paid. With high prices you're just helping create resentment and are not doing yourself any favors.

IMHO - just list it on ebay and link in your siggie. That's fair to all involved. You'll probably do quite well. You said the only people that would buy it on ebay are those that saved it as a search, and you said you'd rather sell it here because that's where interested parties are. So it's obvious you are interested in the profit/market aspect primarily.

I personally back LJ 100% on this and if I offend you, too, I'm sorry. $35 PLUS shipping is highway robbery. You're not reselling you're profiteering.

Also a $20 mamacat marked up to $35 or so is not the same as a $10 bunji marked up to $35.

ETA: I also understand that you do, in effect, have the right to ask $35. I just feel bad for the person that considers that a deal.

Tresses
May 5th, 2008, 01:23 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, for those who don't know, I used to work for Bunjii, Inc. I'm not speaking for the company or Brad Bealmear, just myself.

When I first saw Cinnamon Hair's ebay auction of Bunjiis going so high I was stunned. I have quite a few Bunjiis that are like new that I've considered selling, including one-of-kinds, specialty beads, and metals (which sold for $60+ new). One of these days, I might. Then again, they have personal meaning to me, so I might not.

Here's the thing: Anything - ANYTHING - is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter what the original cost was, or what it cost to make. Look what people pay for a simple Graydog hairfork made out of Dymondwood. :shrug:

Cinnamon Hair has sold Bunjiis for $35 on ebay before; why shouldn't she be able to post them here for that price without catching grief?

I'm a rabid capitalist on this one: the price should be what the market will bear. If they don't sell, the price will drop. (Or they'll end up on ebay and maybe go higher?) Pretty simple economics, if you ask me.

Cinnamon Hair
May 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Yes, if you priced it a $10 it would be gone fast. And you'd have a happy LHCer. And you'd get back what you paid. With high prices you're just helping create resentment and are not doing yourself any favors.

IMHO - just list it on ebay and link in your siggie. That's fair to all involved. You'll probably do quite well. You said the only people that would buy it on ebay are those that saved it as a search, and you said you'd rather sell it here because that's where interested parties are. So it's obvious you are interested in the profit/market aspect primarily.

I personally back LJ 100% on this and if I offend you, too, I'm sorry. $35 PLUS shipping is highway robbery. You're not reselling you're profiteering.

Also a $20 mamacat marked up to $35 or so is not the same as a $10 bunji marked up to $35.

ETA: I also understand that you do, in effect, have the right to ask $35. I just feel bad for the person that considers that a deal.

I have never seen a $20 mamacat marked up to $35. What I have seen is a $10 mamacat marked up to $30 plus shipping. Is that not similar? And it disappeared fast as lightning by the way.

If you or anyone else resents me for trying to make a decent return on a bunjii (so I can buy another hairtoy even) then I have no qualms about it. If someone wants to dislike me because I wouldn't give them a deal on a discontinued hair toy, that's their problem.

Thank you for your advice on what I should do. :rolleyes:

PseudoScot
May 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Here's the thing: Anything - ANYTHING - is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter what the original cost was, or what it cost to make. Look what people pay for a simple Graydog hairfork made out of Dymondwood. :shrug:

Cinnamon Hair has sold Bunjiis for $35 on ebay before; why shouldn't she be able to post them here for that price without catching grief?

Tresses, I totally understand what you are saying and appreciate the point. That's why I also suggested ebay.
I think this is difficult because it blurs the lines of 'community' and 'capitalism'. Most people when they resell a toy state how they have owned them and sell them at cost or slightly lower. That is, of course, their prerogative.

This thread seems to have some of us upset, though, because it blatantly goes opposite that prevalent trend. If the market can bear $35 then fine - put it in a proper market. The swap board is meant, I believe, to be a place for goods to be exchanged openly and fairly. Not for such profit.

PseudoScot
May 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I have never seen a $20 mamacat marked up to $35. What I have seen is a $10 mamacat marked up to $30 plus shipping. Is that not similar? And it disappeared fast as lightning by the way.

This I believe I misread you on so my comparison was not quite accurate - my apologies. What I was trying to discuss/point out was that the markup on a mamacat was still a markup but not as prevalent as yours.

I'm bowing out of this thread now. I've said my piece.

Tresses
May 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM
The swap board is meant, I believe, to be a place for goods to be exchanged openly and fairly. Not for such profit.

Who is to determine what is proper profit? Isn't that between the seller and the buyer?

If anyone has questions as to the history and condition of these particular Bunjiis, then they should ask Cinnamon Hair before they strike a deal. She's not hiding anything.

Cinnamon Hair
May 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM
If anyone has questions as to the history and condition of these particular Bunjiis, then they should ask Cinnamon Hair before they strike a deal. She's not hiding anything.

Well, since you asked :D
I have never worn a bunjii (any of them that I ever owned) more than perhaps an hour or three around the house. They just weren't my thing :shrug: So for 99.9++% of their life they have sat in a plastic cubbie in one of my hairtoy holders, as pictured here (http://feline147.home.mchsi.com/bathroom/longdoorhanger.gif). You can see them on the far right, third pocket from the top. I only bought them because they were all the rage on LHC and I thought I could make them work. Unfortunately, they didn't work for me, but to my benefit Brad went out of business and bunjiis gained in value. Even though I didn't like them, I'm sorry things turned out the way they did. Brad had a really unique hair product, and I wish he could have profitted from it. It sucks that inventors have such a hard time breaking into the market. They are forced to either sell to a huge company (Scuncii, I believe offered to buy him out?) or try to go it alone.

Tresses
May 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Brad had a really unique hair product, and I wish he could have profitted from it. It sucks that inventors have such a hard time breaking into the market. They are forced to either sell to a huge company (Scuncii, I believe offered to buy him out?) or try to go it alone.

Goody was considering leasing Brad's patent, but the deal fell through. :(

Cinnamon Hair
May 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I would like to invite LisaJaney, and anyone else who agrees with her, to give away their remaining bunjiis on the swap board here at LHC. Give away, not sell...how can you sell to friends? If you don't use it anymore, you should give the item away.

wendyg
May 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Most people when they resell a toy state how they have owned them and sell them at cost or slightly lower.

Most people are reselling toys that are either commercially produced (Ficcare, Flexi8s) or craft items by people who are still in business making them (Graydog, jimfo, monk, etc.). ISTM that people selling items that aren't replaceable with new versions of the same thing (Blondiesturn, mamacat, some older Graydogs) limit their swaps or charge accordingly.

wg

Nightshade
May 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM
The issue here comes down to two things:

What someone is willing to pay for something (which determines market value). "Worth" is not a static number. Worth is what someone is willing to pay for an item. Take for instance the housing market- Ones house may be appraised at a certain price, but it's true worth is only what someone else is willing to pay for it. You can have a Magic card "worth" $3million, but if the highest anyone is willing to pay is $5, well, then, that's about all it's "worth."
What it will take for someone to part with something. I have my first MtM black widow fork. It's a OOAK and while I paid $35 (I think) for it, it would probably take more than that for me to be willing to part with it, as there is really no way for me to get another once that's gone.While I'd never pay $35 for a Bunji, I respect that that's it's value to CH. I don't think she's taking advantage of anyone here so much as she's being honest about what that particular item is worth to her.

I've seen MamaCat sticks here go for nearly $60 for a pair, and that was much higher than what the poster paid for them, but it's well-known here that those things are rare as black diamonds and their value is increased accordingly.

I hope that makes sense. :shrug:

beadedbudgie
May 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Just my 2 cents:

I don't see what the big deal is. If you think the price is too high, don't buy it. Sure, bunjiis sold for $10-$12, but that was back when you could just easily go to the website and get as many as you wanted, so asking for a premium on an item you can't obtain easily doesn't strike me as odd. But that's what I think.

Tresses
May 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
The issue here comes down to two things:
What someone is willing to pay for something (which determines market value). "Worth" is not a static number. Worth is what someone is willing to pay for an item. Take for instance the housing market- Ones house may be appraised at a certain price, but it's true worth is only what someone else is willing to pay for it. You can have a Magic card "worth" $3million, but if the highest anyone is willing to pay is $5, well, then, that's about all it's "worth."
What it will take for someone to part with something. I have my first MtM black widow fork. It's a OOAK and while I paid $35 (I think) for it, it would probably take more than that for me to be willing to part with it, as there is really no way for me to get another once that's gone.While I'd never pay $35 for a Bunji, I respect that that's it's value to CH. I don't think she's taking advantage of anyone here so much as she's being honest about what that particular item is worth to her.

I've seen MamaCat sticks here go for nearly $60 for a pair, and that was much higher than what the poster paid for them, but it's well-known here that those things are rare as black diamonds and their value is increased accordingly.

I hope that makes sense. :shrug:

Well said.

prosperina
May 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I have never heard of these things before. I don't think anyone, like me, would buy them then later feel taken advantage of when we later found out the were merely rare and not actually special or quality or something. I think someone suggested this.

They look like over sized bungie chords like my grandma used to use up at her place in the country. She used to tie things closed with them and hold things in the back of her truck bed. I don't think anyone's gonna be confused. I personally wouldn't pay 2 cents for them. But, no doubt these will go to hair toy hoarders who know what they are and are willing to pay the price for a no longer made item that they already know they like. Nuthin wrong with that. :twocents:

LifeisAdventure
May 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Throwing my hat in too...

I feel the need to back Cinnamon Hair here. Just look at how many posts on the friendship board right now talk about ways to save and scrimp and simply get by in our failing economy (in the US, anyway). Can you really fault Cinnamon Hair for reselling rare hair toys at prices that people are willing to pay so that she doesn't have to spend additional money on new hair toys? Most of us are STRUGGLING right now, but if someone has the spare $35 to spend where CH doesn't, I say more power to them both. And again, let's be honest, we're not all "friends" here. Some members who haven't even met can't stand each other's posts on the boards. She has a product, the buyers are here. And on we go.

Dvips
May 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Okay - official MOD HAT ON here...

If you would like to buy a bunjii, or if you have relevant information to share that addresses a question that a potential buyer asked, please go ahead and post in this thread. Otherwise... let us return this thread to its purpose (and the purpose of the Swap Board). :agree:

Thank you in advance!

Bunjiidude
May 5th, 2008, 09:59 PM
$35? I know where you can get hundreds - thousands of Bunjiis for free!

First, go to Sanibel Island, Florida. Stop by Goodwill and dig through the irons and TVs. You may find boxes full of tipped elastic Bunjii cord. Then go to the landfill. Dig deeper - a couple of years have passed. There you may find thousands of cordhubs and tips packed nicely in plastic bags and boxes. Then again the gators and hurricanes may have done them in... gators love Bunjiis (and people who are hunting for Bunjiis).

Then you can try to figure out how to put em together.

If you do this please send a photo of yourself.... :D

I've got a dozen or so in my space toys box. That's where they're staying. Then there's Tresses who has... how many do you have, Tresses? Uh oh....

But I absolutely forbid her to sell those for less than $37.73 apiece. Plus tax.

I like the new site!

Tresses
May 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM

First, go to Sanibel Island, Florida. Stop by Goodwill and dig through the irons and TVs. You may find boxes full of tipped elastic Bunjii cord. Then go to the landfill. Dig deeper - a couple of years have passed. There you may find thousands of cordhubs and tips packed nicely in plastic bags and boxes. Then again the gators and hurricanes may have done them in... gators love Bunjiis (and people who are hunting for Bunjiis).

I've got a dozen or so in my space toys box. That's where they're staying. Then there's Tresses who has... how many do you have, Tresses? Uh oh....

But I absolutely forbid her to sell those for less than $37.73 apiece. Plus tax.

I like the new site!

:rollin:

Sorry, Dvips! We'll behave now! :o

Cinnamon Hair
May 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM

I like the new site!

*runs off to find a travel agent*

Cinnamon Hair
May 5th, 2008, 10:55 PM
If mods would like, please close the thread. I have sold both bunjiis. (Yes, there are really LHCers who will pay that much. I'll keep their identities private to protect the innocent.)