PDA

View Full Version : henna for self tanning?

Cleopatra18
March 21st, 2010, 09:04 AM
I heard it before from some people,i researched it,and this came out:
http://www.skincarecompany.net/self-tan-recipe.htm
as you can see,im very bored and really really curious to try it:D.Does anyone have experience with this?

hermosamendoza
March 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM
oh, not a good idea! i just henna'd yesterday. It turns your skin bright orange and then slowly fades and goes away after two or three days.

rach
March 21st, 2010, 09:28 AM
henna gloss put on skin maybe :p
To be honest i've not really thought of this before but i've given into my natural pale anyway :p

but Henna is Orange be warned.

marikamt
March 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Rach got me thinking.... henna gloss....... I would think if you mixed it correctly (VERY little henna) into lotion or oil and applied to skin, it would work.... as Rach said, it is very orange, but a I would think a teeny tiny bit (I am thinking the merest sprinkle) might work but you would have to experiment and skin test..... might be a project for me to try......

hmmm
March 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Unless you want orange skin, don't try it. Henna gets darker when it oxidizes, and it's next to impossible to get it to *not* stain something.

Fractalsofhair
March 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
I think that some hennas do leave a very dark brown stain. If you want to have a super heavy looking tan, I suppose it might not be a bad idea. But you have to leave it on for several hours, with a sugar and water mix.

Igraine
March 21st, 2010, 05:55 PM
A herbal self-tan based on henna may be doable, and not leave much orange. But what strikes me in that recipe is 500 ml of henna! That sounds like a waste, since in 2 week tops you may need to do that again, for maintenance. Not to mention it will probably rub off against clothing. Also, it's not clear how you can paint your back and shoulders evenly without assistance...

AmericanWoman
March 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM
I tried this over the summer and it worked quite well.I used it on my face and legs. I mixed one tbs. henna with water, waited for dye release, then added another couple cups water. Applied with a cotton ball, left on 10-15 minutes. Diluted like this, it doesn't give the orange toned skin. They had a post on it at H5H last year. Or you could just mix the henna with 1-3 cups water at one time and wait for dye release. Keep leftovers in the fridge.

Star Eagle
March 21st, 2010, 06:26 PM
That is pretty amazing...How long does the tan last? since you can do that why not put henna on your lips for color... I wonder how long it would last?
Since my friend had a permenent lip tattoo cost $350. and it didn't even stay!

marikamt
March 21st, 2010, 06:31 PM
That is pretty amazing...How long does the tan last? since you can do that why not put henna on your lips for color... I wonder how long it would last?
Since my friend had a permenent lip tattoo cost $350. and it didn't even stay!

OOOOOOhhhhhh... another idea to try.......

If I end up looking like a jack-o- lantern, I am blaming ya'll! :pumpkin:

AmericanWoman
March 21st, 2010, 06:40 PM
OOOOOOhhhhhh... another idea to try.......

If I end up looking like a jack-o- lantern, I am blaming ya'll! :pumpkin:

Test a bit on your arm/leg where it won't stand out so much. I put several layers of the henna tea on . It wears off in a couple days or so.

Shermie Girl
March 21st, 2010, 09:18 PM
I think I'll stick to my regular sunless tanner and bronzer. :D

hmmm
March 22nd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Wow.. this is really interesting. Not that I need a tan, but still.

GlassEyes
March 22nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
I don't need to tan, and I'm not that fond of them either, but I -would- be curious as to what a test stain of that would do.

If someone goes all out and just -does- it, however, I will laugh. I will laugh hard. Aka, don't do it. XD;

Juneii
March 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
keep in mind that different parts of your skin on your body soaks henna up differently. I remember having a henna party with my friends and we hennaed our hands, legs, and neck/chest area. The neck and chest area came out to be very light colored and orange while the hands and feet came out to be very dark.

Oskimosa
March 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
keep in mind that different parts of your skin on your body soaks henna up differently. I remember having a henna party with my friends and we hennaed our hands, legs, and neck/chest area. The neck and chest area came out to be very light colored and orange while the hands and feet came out to be very dark.

I was just going to post this. There is a chart for that and I searched but could not find it. Places like the neck and .... maybe the insides of the arms?? don't stain well. I can't remember exactly. Either way if you tanned your face and the neck didn't tan well, it might look similar to using the wrong color foundation.. :p

Cleopatra18
March 22nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
:D:D very true.
it's still very cold here so i was thinking to do some "tests" before summer.but i dont want to turn orange either lol.i think i might just pass on this one..dont think it'll last for a long time anyway since i dont usualy wear gloves when i henna my hair and my hands turns all orange for not more than 1-2 days then it fades completely :/ who knows..
if anyone tries this please post pics that wud be very helpful :)

camillacamilla
March 22nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
The thing I notice is that the recipe calls for "brown henna", which doesn't exist in nature. :shrug:

AmericanWoman
March 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
The thing I notice is that the recipe calls for "brown henna", which doesn't exist in nature. :shrug:

Rahgistani henna is referred to as brown henna. It refers to the color you get on the skin, not the hair.

Madame J
March 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Remember that "brown henna" in that recipe refers to a mix of henna, indigo, and possibly other herbs, designed to stain HAIR brown. These may not have the same effect on skin. Please check the ingredients of any henna mixes you get to check for things that are not so friendly on skin, and make sure not to put it near mouth or eyes, as plenty of these herbal mixes are not safe to ingest.

Also, henna CAN turn brown on skin, but it takes a day or two for the stain to deepen. I know that even when I do my nails (which is permanent), I do it a few days before I want to go out with red toes to let the henna oxidize.

I have the book that this recipe was taken from (which, by the way, isn't it illegal to post things on the internet without attributing them?) and she refers to premixed hennas as "brown" or "black" henna. It must have been before the widespread knowledge of metallic salts and nasty stuff in henna mixes.

Katze
March 23rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Henna artist here with lots of experience of henna on different body parts and skin types.

I was going to mention this.

Remember that "brown henna" in that recipe refers to a mix of henna, indigo, and possibly other herbs, designed to stain HAIR brown. These may not have the same effect on skin. Please check the ingredients of any henna mixes you get to check for things that are not so friendly on skin, and make sure not to put it near mouth or eyes, as plenty of these herbal mixes are not safe to ingest.

Also, henna CAN turn brown on skin, but it takes a day or two for the stain to deepen. I know that even when I do my nails (which is permanent), I do it a few days before I want to go out with red toes to let the henna oxidize.

I have the book that this recipe was taken from (which, by the way, isn't it illegal to post things on the internet without attributing them?) and she refers to premixed hennas as "brown" or "black" henna. It must have been before the widespread knowledge of metallic salts and nasty stuff in henna mixes.

What you do to the skin after removing the paste will make a big difference to the end stain, but your skin chemistry affects it even more.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THE FOLLOWING, BUT REPORTING ON MY OWN EXPERIENCE

I regularly henna my lips to get a low maintenance lip stain and am happy with the results (I have been doing this for many, many years). According to a Persian friend, Persian women would do this 'seven times' to get dark color - I only do it once about once a week, when I have old henna paste lying around.

Henna does darken my natural lip color and I am very careful not to swallow the paste. To stop the stain developing I rinse my lips with water after scraping off the dried paste. (No one is really sure what it is doing, by the way - we use 'oxidation' as a shorthand but, there being no reliable research on exactly what henna is doing, I cannot say for sure)

There are pictures of the results in my album.

bernnebez
August 1st, 2010, 05:55 AM
That would be a very useful experiment for tanning. A henna would be a good idea on coloring our skin to look more beautiful.

march_sun
April 25th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I was just talking to my husband about this!

Shatam1
April 26th, 2013, 10:15 PM
I always put some leftover henna on my face every time I henna my hair to get a tan.. I dilute it a bit with water and rub it on my face like a light mask away from the eyes.. It does give me a nice tan for a day or two,not more, as henna doesn't stick well on the face. But I noticed it dried my skin a bit so maybe next time I moisturize my face before. I never tried it on my body though..it could hold real well so be carful

Kaelee
April 26th, 2013, 10:20 PM
If I tried this with the henna I have, I would be an oompa-loompah! The places where the henna lands on my skin turn CARROT ORANGE within seconds!

GRU
April 29th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Alternate title for this thread: How to look like the cast of Jersey Shore in ten minutes or less!

:lol:

MidnightMoon
April 29th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I wish there was a similar product...but to make one paler :p

Kaelee
April 29th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Alternate title for this thread: How to look like the cast of Jersey Shore in ten minutes or less!

:lol:

That was totally spit-take worthy. :lol:

Nae
April 30th, 2013, 03:29 PM
If you splattered it just right you could have freckles.

Xxanderia
May 7th, 2013, 07:49 PM
So out of curiosity, has anyone tried this yet? Now that summer is here I've been relentlessly reading reviews on self tanner (being an esthetician its almost sacrilege to tan out in the sun.) And I just cant bring myself to put on a pair of shorts while still looking like a marshmallow.