PDA

View Full Version : Balayam?

Dreams_in_Pink
March 21st, 2010, 02:48 AM
Reading the "tips for shedding" thread, I saw Purdy Bear's suggestion to do "balayam" massage to slow shedding.

It's actually a nail-rubbing technique that's claimed to slow shedding. It got me very interested because i shed a lot and this massage doesn't require touching or rubbing the scalp.

I feel tempted to try, so I wonder if there's anyone else that got good results with it. Is there any scientific explanation as to why rubbing fingernails would stimulate scalp?

TIA :)

ravenreed
March 21st, 2010, 03:03 AM
I rub my fingernails all the time, out of nervousness (I used to bite my nails, but wanted to quit so I rub them instead... weird but at least I am not biting them) , but not quite the way was shown in the Youtube video that I watched. I do it with the pads of my fingers, not the nails of the opposite hand. Anyway, I still get shedding. My growth is about 5/8ths of an inch a month, which is slightly above normal, but nothing to jump up and down about...

It looks harmless. If you are curious, try it.

free_hug
June 12th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I just tumbled upon this thing. I mean i saw it earlier on the interwebs, someone on a hair growth forum just saying "oh u have to rub ur nails together, made my hair grow super fast", with awful grammar and all, so I thought it sounds nuts, and discarded the idea.

But so today I found an article that said it's some ancient ayurvedic technique, a bit like acupressure: nerves under the nail - rubbing stimulates scalp - you have to do it regularly for a longer period (6 month at least). So it comes with some sort of an explanation, though no scientific evidence.

Here's the article: http://kalyan-city.blogspot.com/2009/11/balayam-nail-rubbing-exercise-balayam.html

No advertising intent here. In any case, if teh admins still decide to remove the link, just google the word "Balayam", you'll definitely find enough information aynways.

Not much of an effort required so i guess i should give it a go. Though i cannot report the results in the very near future :)

serious
June 12th, 2010, 05:11 AM
free hug, thanks for the link!

I'm not sure I could follow this whole routine, sleep early, get up early, yoga practice and all, but I'm going to try Golden milk and rub my nails whenever I remember to do it! :)

atlantaz3
June 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM
oh good grief. The odds of me doing this for six months are nil! I do wonder about drinking sweet almond oil in milk - shudder.

bouclée
October 25th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have just came accross this video onhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Yf5lAhYkw on YouTube about this method and I was wondering if you tried Dreams_in_Pink and free_hug?

What about the results?

I am really curious about that... There are a lot of nervous terminations in the nails, so that could make sense... irrigating the scalp...

Anyway, I will keep you posted if I try.

Cheers