PDA

View Full Version : The Audrey Hepburn Temptation

HintOfMint
March 21st, 2010, 01:20 AM
For the past year, I have been really tempted to try a pixie cut in a sort of Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina fashion

I know I shouldn't because it will be horrible to grow out, and I always end up wanting super long hair within a year of having a short haircut.

However, I wondered, is it possible to pin my hair in a fake pixie? When I tried the hairwrapping technique to straighten my hair (where you just pin your hair in a swirl around your head), it looked quite close to a pixie and it looked quite nice. Is there a way to tweak it so that it actually looks like a style and not like I forgot to take my hair down?
I'm thinking something like this: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3078461440/nm0000030

It's pretty clear that she has long hair swirled up in the back somehow. And I have pretty typical sideswept bangs, not bangs quite like hers, if that helps.
Any advice please? Thanks in advance!

naereid
March 21st, 2010, 03:21 AM
Maybe a french twist? That photo looks like she might be wearing one herself.

Kris Dove
March 21st, 2010, 03:40 AM
Yep, it looks like a french twist with short, choppy bangs- getting a hairdresser to cut your bangs into a similar style would be your best bet I think.

going gray
March 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Funny you mentioned that old movie Sabrina, this past June I cut my 23" hair in the style worn in remake of that movie with Julia Ormond, I copied that look.

It was really okay, but after a month I realized I made a mistake. Realized how much better I look with long hair...

Kristin
March 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM
I love Audrey! I agree that she probably is wearing a French twist in those pics. When I want to go a little Audrey, I wear my hair in a Breakfast At Tiffany's style. At the end when she is riding in the taxi, she has the front pulled back in a barrette and then all of the length split into low pigtails. It's very cute. Good luck! (And please don't cut unless you are absolutely sure that is what you want- that is a BIG chop!)

HintOfMint
March 23rd, 2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks, y'all!

I'm going to have to figure out how to tweak the top of my french twists to do that swirl that she has in the picture. I don't think I do my French twists right, if that is the normal way to do them :p

Kristin: I adore Audrey too and the pigtails were quite cute. However, I found Breakfast at Tiffany's to be such a heartbreaking movie and I didn't pay half as much attention to the fashion as I thought I would.
Funny enough, I thought she looked loveliest in Roman Holiday and Sabrina. Pure charm.

myotislucifugus
March 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Oh! I was able to pull that off recently. The trick is to style the front part right... On me, the "bang" part tends to poof up, giving lie to illusion that I cut my hair. My hair is medium to fine thickness, but I know it can be done with nearly hip length hair. Don't cut! It's just a matter of practice. I find twisting the "point" of the bangs and pinning it under the twist makes it look more real.

RachelRose
January 3rd, 2015, 08:43 PM
Oh I loves me some Audrey :) so much so she's tattooed on my inner forearm . I tried the Audrey bangs and ummm I didn't look ballerinaesque at all . I'm terrified of the pixie lol cannot go there

Bambi
January 4th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I had that very cut seven years ago, my hair was at bsl when I did it. Loved it dearly then but I personally wouldn't do it again due to all the awkward grow-out stages when you realize you want do rock the shiny updo's she has in "Charade" ;).

embee
January 4th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Ahhh, Audrey is so lovely! I could never really see copying her styles, just don't have what it takes. I'll just stand back and admire! :D

chen bao jun
January 4th, 2015, 11:49 AM
That's a french twist.
If you alrea d y have side swept bangs, you can change them to Audrey bangs by just using a sponge roller or two to curl them up overnihht. That's how I do my bangs.

CousinItt
January 4th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I hear your temptation. I've been fighting the urge to give myself those bangs she has, but I'm still growing out my last baby bang experiment and I'm sure I'll regret it if I start this again. Although, baby bangs do suit me...

meteor
January 4th, 2015, 12:13 PM
No need to cut for this style. :)
There are multiple videos on YouTube to help create a french twist on long hair... CinnamonHair did one for knee-length hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNHoS5erfw and firefromwithin (I believe, sorry can't find the link at the moment) did a great French twist tutorial based on a half-up braid...
Also, there are lots of YT videos showing how to create bangs/fringe with an updo without cutting hair (folding and pinning the ends of hair to create a fringe).

chen bao jun
January 4th, 2015, 12:57 PM
That's a french twist.
If you alrea d y have side swept bangs, you can change them to Audrey bangs by just using a sponge roller or two to curl them up overnihht. That's how I do my bangs.

captaincrunch
January 4th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Keep in mind Audry Hepburn also had super long hair at one point: http://cdn.evilbeetgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/audrey-hepburn.jpg