PDA

View Full Version : Getting hair caught!

Juliannaissance
March 20th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Every time I sit down in a chair at school my hair seems to get stuck in the flimsy nails and then individual hairs snap off. This really bugs me because it happens quite a lot. Way too damaging! This also used to happen when I put old-fashioned curlers in my hair, I would end up with a clump of hair in my hand. Anyone else in the same situation?

simplysnuggle
March 21st, 2010, 12:18 AM
I had the same problem with chairs back when I was in school. I would put a sweater or something over the chair so my hair wouldn't get caught. The only other thing to do is wear your hair up high enough so it doesn't touch the chair. Good luck!:)

Juliannaissance
March 21st, 2010, 12:28 AM
Ah! Thanks! I have tried braiding it to the side but it somehow still snags. Darn chairs! I do know that they have made different ones without those nails. But for now I'll try the sweater.:cheese:

ArienEllariel
March 21st, 2010, 12:28 AM
I have to be careful now at APL if I'm leaning against my headboard for the same reason. I have a refinished antique Edwardian style (I think) bed and there is some damage behind the headboard near the top. My hair likes to catch in the little seams and chipped areas so I do know what you're talking about. My advice would be to either pull your hair to the front or put it in a braid to keep it from catching on things.

Juliannaissance
March 21st, 2010, 12:34 AM
I have to be careful now at APL if I'm leaning against my headboard for the same reason. I have a refinished antique Edwardian style (I think) bed and there is some damage behind the headboard near the top. My hair likes to catch in the little seams and chipped areas so I do know what you're talking about. My advice would be to either pull your hair to the front or put it in a braid to keep it from catching on things.
It always seems to be the little seams, chips, and nails that snag our hair. They must be jealous of our gorgeous locks! :D

Rhiannon7
March 21st, 2010, 12:37 AM
I know how you feel, it used to happen to me when i was in school and i hated it. now that i am going back to school i wear my hair in a braid or bun. also 2 braids tied at the crown. i think it is the only way to keep it from snagging on chairs and other things, keep it in a bun.

Nera
March 21st, 2010, 04:35 AM
Yeah I have that a lot! It even get's caught on walls sometimes:S So strange... And when going out I always feel like people are pulling my hair, but it's just the hair getting caught between my bodyparts and some one elses... Sucks so much!

CrisDee
March 21st, 2010, 05:00 AM
That used to happen to me back in the early 70's (see sig pic), I swear I left half a head of hair in the rivets of the school's chairs! And nobody wore their hair up "back in the day," long and loose was the dictate of that era. At least there are decent elastics today to keep with you to just put it all up in a messy bun - the only thing we had back then were the figure-8 elastics held in the center with metal, with two plastic balls on each end. They only looked good on 6 year olds :p

Lemur_Catta
March 21st, 2010, 05:56 AM
Yesterday I got my hair caught in a friend's ring :( We were playing some sort of variation of hide and seek, where one person is blindfolded in a dark room, and has to catch someone and recognize him\her. It pulled out 50 hairs :( I counted them, everybody thought it was crazy! I am so sad :( It wasn't my friend's fault, she was blindfolded and didn't even know what had happened until it was too late, and anyway I should have never had my hair down when playing.

Juliannaissance
March 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah I have that a lot! It even get's caught on walls sometimes:S So strange... And when going out I always feel like people are pulling my hair, but it's just the hair getting caught between my bodyparts and some one elses... Sucks so much!
My hair sometimes even gets caught in my BF armpit when he hugs me, and we both laugh every time it happens. :p

Cirafly24
March 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM
My hair likes to get stuck to my fiance's beard stubble. He'll hug me, and I'll step 2 feet away and realize my hair is still attached to his face. It's like velcro!

Luckily, it hasn't actually pulled any hair out :laugh:

LoversLullaby
March 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM
When I take the city bus after school I end up leaning my head against the wall and end up snagging hair in the screws! :( It hurts, and it isn't fun. I have to keep remembering to bun my hair when I go to school!

tralalalara
March 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM
This happens to me all the time, which is why my hair is almost always pulled over one shoulder. It seems to help enough.

Juliannaissance
April 6th, 2010, 09:08 PM
My hair likes to get stuck to my fiance's beard stubble. He'll hug me, and I'll step 2 feet away and realize my hair is still attached to his face. It's like velcro!

Luckily, it hasn't actually pulled any hair out :laugh:That's actually kind of cute! hehehe. Like you can tell your fiance that his beard stubble likes your hair. :p

Khiwanean
April 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM
My hair sometimes even gets caught in my BF armpit when he hugs me, and we both laugh every time it happens. :pMine too! My hair also tends to get caught in car doors a lot.

Ivy~Rose
April 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM
If your hair gets caught in curlers, I highly recommend rag curls! I cut up an old stained shirt of mine and made a ton of rags for rag curls, you can find directions easily online. My hair absolutely refuses to curl with heat, and I've had it get caught in a hot curling iron before (had to get scissors before it fried D: ). If you want to get curls without mechanical things that will eat your hair, rag curls really are the best!

I love getting super frizzy hair by sleeping on wet rag curled hair, but that's because it's such a novelty to me :p

Tornerose
April 6th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah that happends to me too.
I've learned to swish my hair around ALOT when it's loose because I try to avoid anything that makes it get caught.

After I started here on LHC, I've learned to appreciate buns and braids though :D
Even though I think I look better with my hair down, the more I get used to seeing myself in the mirror with hair up, the better I think it looks.

Naamah
April 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
If I wear my hair down, it gets caught on this thing that my boyfriend's mom has hanging on the front door. Every single time! I have to be more careful. :p I've shut my hair in the car window way too many times, too. And my hair sticks to my boyfriend's beard! It makes us laugh every time it happens.

Juliannaissance
April 6th, 2010, 10:56 PM
If your hair gets caught in curlers, I highly recommend rag curls! I cut up an old stained shirt of mine and made a ton of rags for rag curls, you can find directions easily online.Ah! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go look it up right now. :cheese:

And my hair sticks to my boyfriend's beard! It makes us laugh every time it happens.It's always funny when hair gets caught in the boyfriend's hair. I guess they like it too. ;)

ninelifewriter5
April 7th, 2010, 04:37 AM
My hair used to get caught in chairs at school at the time too. Now I just bun it so it doesn't get caught. It used to hurt my neck though! (leaning over with hair caught on chair pulls on scalp and OW!)

I second (or third?) rag curls. They are the only method of curling my hair that works without getting my hair caught in it.

halo_tightens
April 7th, 2010, 08:53 AM
The only thing we had back then were the figure-8 elastics held in the center with metal, with two plastic balls on each end. They only looked good on 6 year olds :p

Ohhhhh holy crap-- I had forgotten all about those things until you mentioned them! They were so awful... :D

Remember trying to put one on, and you'd have it almost fixed, and one of the balls would slip out of your fingers? The whole thing would fly around, and the ball would hit you, *crack* right in the knuckles!!

Those things are pure evil. :demon:

XcaliburGirl
April 7th, 2010, 09:03 AM
When my hair was longer, I'd get my hair caught in my husband's glasses. Also, the dining room chairs at my parents' house.

The worst was a vacuum cleaner attachment that had a small spinning brush, similar to the main brush, only it wasn't powered, I guess the air flow from the vacuum cause it to spin. Anyway, I was cleaning the stairs with it and my hair (which was probably TBL) got sucked up into it and wrapped around the brush. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Khiwanean
April 8th, 2010, 03:45 AM
The worst was a vacuum cleaner attachment that had a small spinning brush, similar to the main brush, only it wasn't powered, I guess the air flow from the vacuum cause it to spin. Anyway, I was cleaning the stairs with it and my hair (which was probably TBL) got sucked up into it and wrapped around the brush. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!I've had that happen too! I'd forgotten until you mentioned it, since it happened years ago. It was ok once I turned off the vacuum and gently unwound my hair by tugging on it. I can't imagine how much damage it must have done. But I learned my lesson and I tie my hair up when I vacuum now.

Purdy Bear
April 8th, 2010, 06:22 AM
When I was knee high to a grass hopper, I used to have classic length hair. I always caught it in cupboard doors in school, would sit on it and thus yank my head back.

PhillyGirl26
April 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Try moving your hair to your front or just wear it up

Karala
April 14th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Just reading this thread makes me cringe >_< I've gotten so used to the convenience of wearing my hair up pretty much all the time!

Pallas
April 14th, 2010, 02:42 PM
That happened to me ALL the tim,e back when my hair was longer. Only the screws would take out complete strands with the root and all :<

I learned always grab my hair or wear it over my shouder whenever I went to sit down somewhere. As a matter if fact I often wear my hair over one shoulder throughout the day, because I'm paranoid some crazy person will come up and kill it or something XD

Juliannaissance
April 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Just reading this thread makes me cringe >_< I've gotten so used to the convenience of wearing my hair up pretty much all the time!That's something I should have done...hahaha. I'm actually doing it a lot more lately after reading a lot through the threads that wearing hair up will cause less damage. I mean I knew that but I didn't really think it would hurt it as much, but ALAS, I was wrong!...:mad:

As a matter if fact I often wear my hair over one shoulder throughout the day, because I'm paranoid some crazy person will come up and kill it or something XDI usually just leave my hair in the back, but now that you mention it...I feel like I should do the same, because you never know who might want to touch, cut, or murder your hair!!! hehehe.:p