PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes a trim is good. 2 years with no trim pics

skay
March 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I haven't really given updates on my hair as there isn't really much too report, but here's some updates that may be of interest to those questioning if they should trim/not trim, etc.

Perhaps it will help someone decided to do or not do something one day in the future.

Here's a photo of my hair 2 years ago.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/sgeo/hair/Chin-length-hair.jpg

I basically had it cut to:
get rid of all the layers up to around chin level
get rid of some leftover henna (I wanted to stop dyeing of any sort)
2 years later...

It grew but as you can see in the pic there are straggly hairs. I had very healthy thinnish/fly-away ends. :D I can't say that I ever felt comfortable wearing my hair down because of this.

I went to a Chinese hair salon and the guy did an amazing job! He did exactly what I wanted and finished in about 10 minutes! The $13 (including tip) was worth it.

It looked like he knew what he was doing - I noticed he even ever so slightly trimmed a few hairs here and there around my shoulders -- I also have straggly hairs there that needed a snip, so it was great!

I'm happy.

My strategy now is to trim every few months. I believe this will work for me. Also, I notice I start shedding more if I don't trim....

Before and After trim pics:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/sgeo/hair/trim-compare-2010.jpg

Enjoy,

Skay

curlylocks85
March 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
WOW! That is some major growth. Pass it over here.:D Your hair is amazing. I agree, he knows what he is doing.

Honestwitness
March 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Your hair is beautiful in both pictures.

cindy58
March 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Your trim looks great!

Near the beginning of my growing out, I was still sticking with the frequent trim schedule I had when my hair was short. I soon realized I wasn't getting longer very fast with that. So I stopped trimming for 13 months, then began trimming again when I felt it needed it.

Fairlight63
March 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM
You have beautiful hair, love the waves.

skay
March 20th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks all!

Curlylocks, I'm definitely going back to the same place for my next trim whenever that is. They were the ones who actually did the cut 2 years ago also (but a different man did it).

Cindy58, sounds good. Actually, I think that's what I need to do for a little while - trim to grow out during my particular growing out phase (henna + gray + new hair = hmmm?? :D ). Then, I'm going to lessen the trims more and more.

Thanks, Honestwitness! I appreciate it!

My hair's a little photogenic. :)

I really wasn't comfortable with my hair down though -- it was kind of fluffy, black, gray and henna-y sometimes. :) After the trim today, it seems they hairs are becoming more "uniform" and "together"!

Thanks, Fairlight, for the encouragement & compliment. :)

Rhiannon7
March 20th, 2010, 08:41 PM
The trim looks great! your hair looks so full and shiny and very healthy and you have a beautiful color. well worth the 2 years without a trim.

IndigoAsh
March 20th, 2010, 08:48 PM
wow!! that's awesome!! Your hair is so gorgeous.
I also feel a need to save Cindy58 from that wolf attack...(he's cute)

joiekimochi
March 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I LOOOVE your hair! It's got beautiful waves and soooo shiny!

skay
March 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Rhiannon7, yes, I think it was definitley worth the 2 years -- because I reached a decent length (it looked almost waist with a few hairs...).

Although I didn't like wearing it down, wearing 2 braids and some basic updos helped a lot.

I think I can maintain and push the hair more towards waist now. :)

Thanks much IndigoAsh! Yes, that wolf in the avatar -- looks beautiful to me!!!!

Joiekimochi, aww - thanks! I never really knew/noticed I had waves until I got on LHC. When my hair was waist-length in junior high school it was straight (but thick) so I think that's how I saw my hair pretty much.

Sweetness
March 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Beautiful !!!
I'd love to know your routine and any tips you have discovered and adopted these last 2 years :)

skay
March 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Hi Sweetness (sweet name!), well, I'm still learning but here are things that stand out.

In regards to improving quality, shine:

1. A little ACV (apple cider vinegar) in water (I used less than capful in a waterbottle) poured over your head last as rinse gives shine. No need to rinse out this mixture. I do this about once a week or every other week.

In regards to the picture, I had done this that morning. Picture taken around 5pm.

2. Coconut oil

A little rubbed in on the length/ends is great for protection against the elements.

3. I usually wear my hair in a protective style and I don't blow dry.

Other:

I rarely usually soap/shampoo on my scalp but I'm not 100% happy with my scalp. Sometimes I get a little buildup or flakes near the front hairline - I'm still working on this and determining the cause.

I think I'll update my profile with this info. :)

ArienEllariel
March 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hi Sweetness (sweet name!), well, I'm still learning but here are things that stand out.

In regards to improving quality, shine:

1. A little ACV (apple cider vinegar) in water (I used less than capful in a waterbottle) poured over your head last as rinse gives shine. No need to rinse out this mixture. I do this about once a week or every other week.

In regards to the picture, I had done this that morning. Picture taken around 5pm.

2. Coconut oil

A little rubbed in on the length/ends is great for protection against the elements.

3. I usually wear my hair in a protective style and I don't blow dry.

Other:

I rarely usually soap/shampoo on my scalp but I'm not 100% happy with my scalp. Sometimes I get a little buildup or flakes near the front hairline - I'm still working on this and determining the cause.

I think I'll update my profile with this info. :)

this sounds very much like my hair care routine. do you WO or CO?

skay
March 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hi ArienEllariel, I WO/Water Only.

Am trying not to buy products (save money, be a minimalist, etc.).

-----------

I also just use a wooden comb (I bought one for $3-4 in Chinatown).

One day I couldn't find it and I used a big cheap, plastic comb - and indeed, it felt very light and cheap! Hadn't used 1 in a couple of years and it was interesting to feel the difference (granted it was a cheap quality plastic comb). It didn't feel good on the hair.

christine1989
March 20th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I hope my progress in two years will be just as good! It looks fantastic (even before the trim) :)

sarahbrownie
March 20th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Really nice progress! Silly question but do you do the ACV after you shower while it's still wet? I've been meaning to branch out in some of the long hair tips but I've yet to go as far as going without washing my hair, but it would be cool using ACV as a rinse. Another question, do you recommend a wooden comb, I only use a comb now and wonder if they're is really a difference between plastic and wood?

*Rose Red*
March 21st, 2010, 03:34 AM
Yes, your hair looks great! I think for me itīs best when I go twice a year for a trim. That works for me.

emmabovary
March 21st, 2010, 04:09 AM
Beautiful! That's a lot of growth for 2 years, congrats :D

Sunny_side_up
March 21st, 2010, 07:26 AM
Such gorgeous healthy hair, thats good growing in two years! Must've felt quite nice after the trim, i plan on waiting maybe 6months, we'll see.

merseaone
March 21st, 2010, 07:47 AM
Wow, that is a lot of growth! and very healthy! I wish mine would grow that fast but baby fine hair seems not to grow fast. I used a growth shampoo for a while and it did good but not that good! I just went back to using Cooter cream, will be interesting to see if my migraines come back, then I'll know that was a trigger. Could you see my Dr's face when I said I discovered the trigger to my migraines: Cooter Cream! Bwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh:cheese:

gmdiaz
March 21st, 2010, 07:50 AM
Wow, you really got a lot of good growth in those two years!

The trim looks really great! Your hair looks so healthy and lovely!

Palonia
March 21st, 2010, 08:10 AM
Beautiful hair and great growth!

skay
March 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks, everyone!

Really nice progress! Silly question but do you do the ACV after you shower while it's still wet? I've been meaning to branch out in some of the long hair tips but I've yet to go as far as going without washing my hair, but it would be cool using ACV as a rinse. Another question, do you recommend a wooden comb, I only use a comb now and wonder if they're is really a difference between plastic and wood?

Hi Sarahbrownie, yes, the wood definitely feels better on the hair (in post #14 of this thread - 2 posts above yours, see details on this particular question...)

For me, yes, I pour the waterbottle with ACV all over my head while my hair is still very wet. Then I squeeze out excess water...

I hope my progress in two years will be just as good! It looks fantastic (even before the trim) :)

Hey Christine, wishing you good luck. :)

Yes, your hair looks great! I think for me it´s best when I go twice a year for a trim. That works for me.

Sounds good to me. I'm hoping to space them apart quite a bit also but now I know what to look for (too many scraggly pieces of hair sticking out).

It almost felt like he was cutting air/nothing -- that's how light the ends felt...

Such gorgeous healthy hair, thats good growing in two years! Must've felt quite nice after the trim, i plan on waiting maybe 6months, we'll see.

Yup, it feels much better and I feel more comfortable wearing my hair down.

Wow, that is a lot of growth! and very healthy! I wish mine would grow that fast but baby fine hair seems not to grow fast. I used a growth shampoo for a while and it did good but not that good! I just went back to using Cooter cream, will be interesting to see if my migraines come back, then I'll know that was a trigger. Could you see my Dr's face when I said I discovered the trigger to my migraines: Cooter Cream! Bwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh:cheese:

Ahh, the "M" cream. ;) Your doctor must've been flabbergated! :D

Well, maybe just keep babying your hair and putting it back and up. It'll get there!

Hope you don't get any more migraines (whatever the cause may be).

Lamb
March 21st, 2010, 11:11 AM
Looks great! :applause: I have found that cheaper hair places don't take off more than I'd like, with less money there is less incentive to cut (=work) more.

Chamomile betty
March 21st, 2010, 11:31 AM
Your hair is very beautiful.
Lovely color.

pennyroyal
March 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM
it looks great! (i loved the before pic too tho)
that was a really cheap haircut & it came out wonderfully!

sarahbrownie
March 21st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your comment! I'll look into change to a wood comb! I have a little more confidence using ACV now.

skay
March 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks, all!

Looks great! :applause: I have found that cheaper hair places don't take off more than I'd like, with less money there is less incentive to cut (=work) more.

Great point - makes a lot of sense.

janeytilllie
March 23rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
The trim looks wonderful :) you have very beautiful healthy hair.

HintOfMint
March 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
That is a seriously beautiful head of hair. The waves and shine remind me of a doll's hair, that's how lovely it is.

skay
March 26th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks all, Janeytillie.

That is a seriously beautiful head of hair. The waves and shine remind me of a doll's hair, that's how lovely it is.

Wow, what an awesome compliment! :D Thanks HintOfMint! I try. ;)