PDA

View Full Version : I am so sad.....

wahmof9
March 20th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I trimmed 1/2 to 3/4 inches of hair...it makes me sad every time I have to cut my hair!!! It seems it will never be long...does anyone else feel this way?

Sarahmoon
March 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I went for over 3 years without cutting. If it makes you so sad and you have the feeling it will never be long, maybe you can try extending the time between trims?
(Of course I have no idea how long you waited this time so sorry if this is real bad advice.)

MissMandyElizab
March 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Yes !!!! I have even been known to cry about it>.......A LOT.

Juliannaissance
March 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Yes! I cut 7 inches off my hair...because of some damage, but I'm growing it out again! I hate cutting my hair! :(

Little_Bird
March 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I feel the exact same way when I trim my hair, altough I already consider it long now, after almost a year of no trims...

I agree that you should simply avoid cutting, and try to grow at least to the next milestone without touching it.

Good luck :flower: and remember, it's actually growing!

wahmof9
March 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Well, my hair is fine and layered so when my hemline gets all scraggly I cut....maybe I should not but it'll be a tough habit to brake! Will try though...

Aevra
March 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I feel that way when I get a trim too...Most of the time it's because there is so much breakage at the ends that my hair lady has to cut off a lot. But hopefully with the tips here the ends won't get so damaged.

Same for you, I'm sure if you follow the tips here you'll find something that will work so that you don't feel the need to cut it so often.

rho1640
March 20th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I trimmed off about 2 inches last week - I cringe thinking about it still --

Demetrue
March 20th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Yes - I am really bummed out about my latest trim, even though the hair I trimmed off was very damaged and looked and felt awful. Part of the reason I feel bad about it is because it would have been so much longer if I hadn't given in to the urge to highlight and bleach again. Also, since I am older, I worry that it will never get long again in my life time, or that it just will never be as thick or full again or grow as fast as when I was younger. And now that so much of my hair is white, I have to choose between long white hair or short dyed hair, so I will never be able to regain the hair I originally had.

joiekimochi
March 20th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I chopped from waist to BSL...I cried but it was inevitable since the bottom half was terrible and can't be repaired. My hair did look much healthier after that though. Cutting is always a sad affair for me.

vindo
March 20th, 2010, 09:03 PM
My hemline tends to do that ever since I have been growing my hair. But this works for me:

Even hemline without loosing length (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html)

I have been growing like that for years and was able to have an even hemline at classic length this way. There is before and after pictures too!

ravenreed
March 21st, 2010, 01:25 AM
I trim often, but just a bit at a time. I get a lot of compliments on my hair and I think frequent trimming is one reason.

Roseate
March 21st, 2010, 01:34 AM
I have a love-hate relationship with trims. Immediately after, I always feel like I've had something amputated- not sad, exactly, but kind of shocked and bereft. But give it a day or so, and I always enjoy the fresh ends so much I get over it.

I love the way trims make my hair seem so much better overall, even though it's just a little bit off the ends. I recently got my first trim in a year and now that a few days have passed, I'm very happy with it.

jera
March 21st, 2010, 01:42 AM
My whole first year here was spent just trimming off damage and it is disheartening to be surrounded by all these beautiful heads of hair when your own seems to be going nowhere. Hugs. You'll achieve your goal eventually.:)

Dreams_in_Pink
March 21st, 2010, 02:28 AM
I trimmed 1/2 to 3/4 inches of hair...it makes me sad every time I have to cut my hair!!! It seems it will never be long...does anyone else feel this way?

I know...that's why i never trim :D

hanne jensen
March 21st, 2010, 02:47 AM
I also have fine hair in layers. The hemline quickly becomes scraggly. What I do is have DH dust me every 8 weeks. He never dusts more than 1/4-1/2 CENTIMETER. It's enough to have a nice hemline and still see growth.

Katze
March 21st, 2010, 04:07 AM
I have been trimming constantly since I got here. First to get rid of bleach, color, and damage, now to minimize taper as much as possible. Like Emichiee, my hair just naturally grows into thin ends that do not look very nice on me.

Since trying to grow my hair and joining LHC I have gone from somewhere between shoulder and APL to almost waist. In 5 years.

It does sometimes make me sad that other people have thick hemlines, longer healthier hair, and hair that just looks 'good.' I really have to fight to make my hair look good, up or down, so I have gone back to using 'cones, I do use hair gel regularly, and am spending more time styling and combing my hair so that it looks like something I can proud of.

Unlike a couple of straight and M haired friends I know, as well as my sister, I can't just put my hair up in a quick 'do and go - I need multiple bobby pins, combing, styling products, and even then the 'do is fuzzy and messy. So I am trying to work with what I've been given.

All this is to say that you are NOT alone in not having record growth or automatically fabulous hair. Many of us have had to struggle hard just to get hair that looks smooth or shiny, or even to get a picture that is worth sharing *here* (just look at my album if you do not believe me!)

good luck and hope you feel better. :flower:

Katze

crystal_k
March 21st, 2010, 06:57 AM
HI , ive been trying to grow my hair for 3 years and its still just apl.
problem for me is i allways colour my hair so ut grows but breaks ends look bad so allways need a trim so constantly trimming off growth it makes me feel sad beacause 3 years have gone by with no progress grrrr.Im determined not to trim and colour my hair from now so it grows would love to have long hair by the time im 30 so i only have 2 years left and my hair seems to grow particularlly slowly.

Sunny_side_up
March 21st, 2010, 07:15 AM
I shall be avoiding trimming until maybe after summer to tidy the ends, years ago i grew bsl by just keepin it up and ignoring it. Its when winter nears i've had the urge in the past to get rid of a big chunk. This time it's gonna be kept up and also pampered from the inside and out:D

Happy growing

wahmof9
March 21st, 2010, 10:47 AM
I have been trimming constantly since I got here. First to get rid of bleach, color, and damage, now to minimize taper as much as possible. Like Emichiee, my hair just naturally grows into thin ends that do not look very nice on me.

Since trying to grow my hair and joining LHC I have gone from somewhere between shoulder and APL to almost waist. In 5 years.

It does sometimes make me sad that other people have thick hemlines, longer healthier hair, and hair that just looks 'good.' I really have to fight to make my hair look good, up or down, so I have gone back to using 'cones, I do use hair gel regularly, and am spending more time styling and combing my hair so that it looks like something I can proud of.

Unlike a couple of straight and M haired friends I know, as well as my sister, I can't just put my hair up in a quick 'do and go - I need multiple bobby pins, combing, styling products, and even then the 'do is fuzzy and messy. So I am trying to work with what I've been given.

All this is to say that you are NOT alone in not having record growth or automatically fabulous hair. Many of us have had to struggle hard just to get hair that looks smooth or shiny, or even to get a picture that is worth sharing *here* (just look at my album if you do not believe me!)

Katze
Your hair looks similar to mine...I like the results of trims on my hair I just don't like the loss of length!

wahmof9
March 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM
My hemline tends to do that ever since I have been growing my hair. But this works for me:

Even hemline without loosing length (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html)

I have been growing like that for years and was able to have an even hemline at classic length this way. There is before and after pictures too!
Thank you this was very helpful!

Rhea
March 21st, 2010, 11:04 AM
It seems it will never be long...does anyone else feel this way?
Yes here me :)

Last year I did all 3 month "micro-trim" only one centimeter ... the hemline will be fine and the hair go longer .

Good luck to you ! :flower:

going gray
March 21st, 2010, 02:10 PM
It's necessary for me to have dustings about every 2 months to keep my hair healthy while my layers are growing out. I want to have quality over guantity growing my hair to BSL.

Mamakash
March 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM
I think I'm going on two years since a haircut/trim. Yikes! Talk about shear fear!

In the past(if I'm going for length), I "wait out" all the bad, shaggy growth and only cut off an inch or two when I know it won't make my hair look shorter. I figure if I want an inch off and I get two instead, I won't be upset.

Yarn Muse
March 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM
I know how you feel! I cut about 1.5 weeks ago after 6 months of no trims. I'm trying to get rid of layers.

It does feel like you've been shorn, but really, you'll gain back that length pretty quickly. Just do small trims when you really need to; try to stretch out the time in between. If you cut only 1/2 inch and your growth rate is average, you'll gain that back in a month...four short weeks.

Happy growing.

vindo
March 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Katze

I remember your first pics, and although it took you a bit longer, your hair has much improved and you were able to add some well maintained and more even length. :flower:

talecon
March 24th, 2010, 08:11 PM
its been over a month since I cut my hair and just now im starting to miss the length. especially when I think about how much longer it woulda been by now. but my hair really needed it so I dont regret it. I just hope my hair grows back quickly because I can not do anything with it at this length

Jessikinz
March 24th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Yeah it does feel sad but that feeling doesn't last too long for me. I usually only trim my hair when it starts to taper or if the ends just look awful.

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I HATE cutting or trimming my hair. What's weird is that in the moment I'm happy/excited about it because I know that my hair can use a trim. But once the event is over, I get sooo upset. I haven't cut in six months and won't trim until I hit my milestone.

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I understand the sadness at trimming - it makes the whole process of growing your hair seem endless.

I made a deal with myself. That I would grow with minimal (once a year, tops) trimming until I reached waist, and then concentrate on eliminating layers and damage.

So I actually made it to hip and I've started maintaining here, more or less. I do a monthly microtrim, using Feye's method. Results = excellent. I'm slowly ridding myself of layers and damage, I'm still slowly gaining length.

It's a plan that works pretty well, I think!

Forever_Sophie
March 25th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I've always been okay with trims....when my hair was around shoulder length, they were harder for me, felt like a step backwards, but ever since reaching waist, trims aren't so bad. I guess they're more maintenance now.

windinherhair
March 25th, 2010, 11:58 AM
It makes me sad too. Probably why I haven't stuck to my routine of trimming monthly to even my hemline (I am growing out layers). I was going to trim monthly 0.4 inch, and it has been 3 months since my last trim. I make sure to check my ends though, and they are still in good condition.

jivete
March 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Well, my hair is fine and layered so when my hemline gets all scraggly I cut....maybe I should not but it'll be a tough habit to brake! Will try though...

I have this problem too. In order to grow my hair I've had to accept a less than perfect hem. I figure once I get where I want to, I'll maintain it there and maybe the hem will look the way I want it to.

FrannyG
March 25th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I have never actually been sad when I've done either a large cut (I've had to do 3 of them since joining LHC) or a 1/2 inch trim (which I do every few months). I am so much happier with healthy hair than with damaged hair, that I would be more sad if I kept the damage. I realize that I would have reached my goal long ago if I hadn't cut my hair those 3 times, but I did stupid things to my hair (colour experiments) that damaged it and made it feel very unhealthy.

I'm just looking at this as a journey, with a few setbacks along the way. I don't plan to do anything any time soon that will require more than my regular trim. I'll get there in due time, as will all of you.