PDA

View Full Version : 4-strand vortex bun tutorial

sibylla
March 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I just discovered this updo by CinnamonCurls on Youtube.Spectacular!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSf1vv8oB6g

Sarahmoon
March 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
That looks awesome but :eek: how many pins went in there?

PineappleJello
March 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
It's an awesome updo. There's a thread Cinnamon started a while back, when she was naming the bun. A lady did an awesome rope braid version of it.

Aevra
March 20th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Today after I watched the video, I tried this on my own hair. It was surprisingly easy...even though it took a lot of pins...used up almost my box of 36. It came out pretty though. I wore it to my interview.

Sarahmoon
March 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM
It's an awesome updo. There's a thread Cinnamon started a while back, when she was naming the bun. A lady did an awesome rope braid version of it.

Ooh I remember that now. And didn't she dance with it? Wow, I can't imagine my hair would stay up during dancing when it's secured with pins. Usually it flies out already with a single spin :(
I should try the rope braid version, might be more secure for my hair.

Masara
March 21st, 2010, 02:06 AM
I've never yet tried the "normal" version because I wonder how many pins I'll need to keep my fine, slippery hair in place, but the rope braided version holds very well with a lot fewer pins. I probably use about 15 pins all told.

Sarahmoon
March 21st, 2010, 06:55 AM
It looks totally awesome in your siggy.

Jeni
March 21st, 2010, 09:28 PM
I tried this the other day but my hair is on the thinner side of ii (~2 3/4") and it just looked odd to me. Plus I could not get my hair pins to stay where I put them since there was not a ton of hair there. Maybe it would work better when my hair is damp or with just 3 strand instead of 4....

The rope braid version, excuse my brain fart but would that just be rope braiding each of the 4 strands then bunning them like the reg vortex bun? Maybe that would make the bun larger. hmmmmmm.

Sarahmoon
March 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
The rope braid version, excuse my brain fart but would that just be rope braiding each of the 4 strands then bunning them like the reg vortex bun?
I think yes.

Masara
March 22nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
That's how I do it at least.

julliams
March 23rd, 2010, 12:38 AM
How cool - I got a shock when I heard the music as I play this on flute at the moment.

Juliette

InTheCity
March 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
How wow, that is beautiful! Major hair envy for anyone with enough hair to do it. I feel like any one of her four strands is thicker than my whole ponytail!

Jeni
March 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
How wow, that is beautiful! Major hair envy for anyone with enough hair to do it. I feel like any one of her four strands is thicker than my whole ponytail!

You and me both!

BlueMuse
March 23rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how it comes out with how long my hair is. I'm not sure yet (of course) but it looks like it could end up eating my ears.

SheaLynne
March 23rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
I wore this on Sunday. Here's a pic in my album:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4802&pictureid=67329

I didn't get it as flat as it should be, but it held very nicely, and used 33 Amish hairpins in my 4.75" circ. hip-length (with taper) hair.

I can't wait to try it with the rope braids. Masara, I LOVE yours in your siggy picture! Gorgeous!!

LadyVictoria
March 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Such a lovely bun. But so many pins!

tcheney91
March 23rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Gorgeous bun! She and I have similar hair types, so I'm hoping this works as well on me as it does on her! However, I don't think I even own that many hair pins... Oh, well. Just an excuse to buy more!

Elainehali
March 24th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I like that bun a lot.

Tt could be really fun with a few strands of synthetic color added in.

Masara
March 24th, 2010, 02:12 AM
SheaLynne, what a clever idea to integrate ribbon. I would never have thought of it. Now I'm really going to try the unbraided version.