PDA

View Full Version : Change of plans for bridal hair- suggestions wanted! :)

Kris Dove
March 20th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I had wanted to wear my hair down for my wedding originally, but I'll definitely have to wear my hair up as I've found the perfect dress in a completely different style than I'd originally thought of going for.

Unfortunately I've no photos of the dress as the shop didn't allow photography, but it's a long greek/roman style ivory heavy jersey dress with a fitted ruched top and very striking and bling-y diamante-set halterneck- apart from wanting to show off the neck of the dress, it'll catch on the claw-set diamantes if I wear it down, so I'll absolutely have to wear it up now!

So I'd love suggestions for updos and pretty hairtoys(I'm not wearing a veil or tiara). My hair is straight, BSL and fine and thin.

deviantkitten
March 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Well, can't think of a particular style, but if you're not totally opposed to some sort of headpiece, how about these guys
http://www.etsy.com/shop/chicallure
A really inexpensive alternative, and it may just give you an idea to make one yourself!
Got this seller from another member here. Have not bought anything from them myself, but their stuff os gorgeous!

Isilme
March 20th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I have no tutorial for this one but it's my favorite for when you want fancy hair.

Gather your hair up in a high to semi high ponytail.
Part your hair in at least four strands (depending on how much hair you have, the updo will look more beautiful the more and smaller strands you have)
Start by twisting on of the outer strands and let it coil into itself and pin and arrange it near your ponytail band.
Do the same with the other strands and make sure to cover the elastic.
If you want to you can take a pretty ribbon and place around the head of coils and carefully tie it. You can also add a nice hair stick or flowers.

The end result will be a head full of small coils/curls. I strongly recommend you getting a generous collection of amish pins. (I use something like 24 pins...)

Good luck!

Kris Dove
March 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Deviantkitten- thanks for posting the link, those hairpieces are lovely. :) I really like some of the hair vines and bands :)

Isilme, that sounds like it'd look really good. I won't be doing my own hair though, I'll be going to a hairdresser as I'm rubbish at updos and can only manage the most basic ones.

I was wearing my hair down to the fitting and put it up in a messy beebutt bun using a pencil I had on my bag as a makeshift hairstick to try my dress on. :)

IcarusBride
March 21st, 2010, 07:05 AM
I'm thinking 2 french braids that end in a single bun together in the back. There's a word for t his, I know there is, but I forgot what it's called.
Your dress sounds GORGEOUS, by the way! Congrats!

countryhopper
March 21st, 2010, 07:14 AM
My suggestion would be for you to make an appointment with the hairdresser to try out styles way before the wedding.

I like the idea of wearing flowers in your hair... what month is the wedding going to be? How well does your hair hold curls? Don't try to force it to do something that won't hold!!

Aquamarine
March 21st, 2010, 07:33 AM
Can you do a french twist with your length? I don't know..I think it'd work out nice for shorter lengths. Anyway, I think a french twist would be so elegant and soft. You can add a decorative comb or something to enhance the look.
By the way, congrats!!:flower:

Bethany44
March 21st, 2010, 09:27 AM
I did a loose-ish, soft updo with just softly curled tendrils pinned up. My hair was about APL and I have a similar hairtype to your. I did a side part and used a headband too. I liked it because it stayed perfectly all day and night and just looked soft and pretty. I used a veil, but only for the ceremony. Here - you can see it pretty well in this photo:

http://jmrbmr.com/Our_Wedding/Wedding_Albums/Pages/Ceremony.html#76

and without the veil from the front:
http://jmrbmr.com/Our_Wedding/Wedding_Albums/Pages/Reception.html#44

Congrats on your wedding!