PDA

View Full Version : OMG! What not to do to your hair.

Vianka
March 20th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I was watching you-tube and ran across this atrocious video. Everything NOT to do to your hair in one fell swoop. The die job, the bumpit, the teasing, the hairspray and the flat iron. I had to share!

Ugh, I wish I could delete this entire thread. I'll use my head next time <slinks away>.

<link deleted pending moderation discussion>

Themyst
March 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Horrors! If I tried something like that with my hair ... especially the teasing ... I'd have such a knot in my hair I'd have to shave my head. :eek:

coscass
March 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I use a bump it sometimes:(

jexichan
March 20th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Eee! It's a hair torture video! Just watching her tease her hair made my scalp hurt sympathetically.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 20th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I use a bump it sometimes:(

yea, i think they're a great alternative to teasing hair. I think clip-in hairballs would look more natural though.

deviantkitten
March 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I have a bump it, and have tried it in my hair. It is tough to get out of my hair tho because it gets stuck!
And yeah, that video is horrible!

Dementia1013
March 20th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I thought the bumpits were supposed to be INSTEAD of teasing.../confused

misspriss
March 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I couldn't get the bump it to work for me because I wouldn't tease it, and it always showed through.

I don't think the bump it is bad, it's the dang teasing that might have to go along with it!

deviantkitten
March 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
OMG how many times can she say volume LOL
Could be a drinking game
And anyone else think the end result "messy bun" looked.....erm....well......yeah

Vianka
March 20th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I had no idea that a bumpit was a thing you put in your hair until I saw one in this video. I thought it was just done with hairspray and teasing. I think just using the bumpit by itself wouldn't be so bad, but it looks like you have to do the teasing and hairspray in addition. Being a short haired person for most of my adult life I'm kind of just figuring out these things now.

natt i nord
March 20th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Someone should tell her that it does not look good.
I'm not a fan of those 'I have sooo much volume'-styles either way, but it looked better without the 'messy updo'.

*shudders*

Kuchen
March 20th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Hmmm, do we need to comment? I'm pretty sure that a lot of people think LHC practices (no shampoo, no washing, no brushing, lots of braiding etc) are pretty gross or unflattering. It's really up to this woman to do what she likes with her hair, and to look as she wants to look. She doesn't need us pointing and tutting.

Wanderer09
March 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
My hair would strangle me in my sleep as revenge if I did that to it. ;)

Oh well. To each their own.

LoveMyLongHair
March 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM
yea, i think they're a great alternative to teasing hair. I think clip-in hairballs would look more natural though.

Can you please tell me what a clip in hairball is?? I use a Bumpit it sometimes but NO teasing. Also on youtube, go to Sheila Blaine (australian long hair salon owner) and look for her foam hair inserts that you merely pin in, I am hoping to order one of those very shortly!! ;).

My Bumpit was a gift from my mom, so I felt obligated to wear it, but did so with no teasing. Took some work to get it 'just so' where it didn't show, but it did work.

....And did you HEAR her hair tearing when she was teasing it? Omg. I cringed

Friesiangirl
March 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I think it's lovely of her to post video tutorials. Certain people have different tastes than this forum, and that's okay!

Who are we to judge others? Frankly, I think this is rather rude. People can link back to this video, and they can see the comments.

Yes, this is a long-hair forum. We are already affirmed in our long-haired-ness, we don't need to put others down to make a point.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Hayley

Belisarius
March 20th, 2010, 01:52 PM
But don't people have the choice to not look at this video? She seems quite happy doing this.

catysue
March 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I think it's lovely of her to post video tutorials. Certain people have different tastes than this forum, and that's okay!

Who are we to judge others? Frankly, I think this is rather rude. People can link back to this video, and they can see the comments.

Yes, this is a long-hair forum. We are already affirmed in our long-haired-ness, we don't need to put others down to make a point.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Hayley

Seriously. This seems really petty to me.... how is us making comments about how horribly she treats her hair (teasing! hairspray! bump-its! oh god, the horror!) ANY different from other people making comments about how, say, not using shampoo is gross, or putting oil in your hair is gross? It's the same exact thing, but it's OKAY because WE'RE the ones doing it.

Copasetic
March 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Everything not to do to your hair if you are trying to grow it to your tail bone maybe. But if you just want short, trendy styles, then this is fine.

deviantkitten
March 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Very true, very true.
Didn't mean to be rude. Was moreso trying to be funny. Sorry if I seemed judgemental. i have had a veeeeeeery long and frustrating day. It's 9 pm here, and I still have hours of work ahead of me. Working on a children's holocaust show called "And a Child Shall Lead". Not acting in this one, being a children's show, but I am the theater's seamstress, and I was just brought into this show today, with opening night being Friday.....so yeah, allot of stuff going on. Plus with my husband being deployed for the third time and 2 months in, no phone calls, no communication, etc, etc, etc. Not trying to make excuses, just explaining
Just tired and frustrated and still allot to do. I guess it just all came out for a sec. Gimme a minute to tuck it back in and I will behave lol

chopandchange
March 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Imagine how this person would feel if she read all the comments here. :(

There are a HUGE number of hair tutorials on Youtube that use "conventional" methods. I haven't even clicked on the link, but why pick on her? I'm sure she was just trying to be helpful and pass on what she sees as helpful tips.

I agree that the comments are judgemental. I also think that they are extremely hypocritical, because I suspect that the vast majority of people commenting all did these "awful" things to their hair before finding LHC, and now they think they are "hair saints." Maybe they now have selective amnesia and have fogotten that was how they used to treat their own hair, and saw nothing wrong with it at the time due to their ignorance.

Or maybe we all need to lighten up and remember there's a whole world out there not quite as obsessed with hair as we are. :)

catysue
March 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Someone should tell her that it does not look good.
I'm not a fan of those 'I have sooo much volume'-styles either way, but it looked better without the 'messy updo'.

*shudders*

yeah, doesn't look good by YOUR standards.

Jeeeeez, I didn't think people on LHC were so judgmental and rude :rolleyes: Seriously. Imagine the girl in that video looking at a picture of your hair and saying the exact same thing you just did about HER hair. You probably don't think it's okay for her to do that, so why do you think it's okay for YOU to do that?

JenniferNoel
March 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Opinions are opinions. Everyone on the internet expresses them. So here are mine.
First things first: it looks great. However, a similar if not identical look can be achieved with healthy, happy hair without the amount of damage. A lot of people who have unruly, damaged hair in the first place can feel the need to make it behave and look better by using these techniques. I'm sure a lot of us have been there, and I know for one thing that I have.

BelleBot
March 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I'm just confused as I thought bumpits were supposed to be a tool to use to create a bouffant instead of backcombing. :confused:

She can do what she likes to her hair, it's not to my taste, but not my place to comment.

adiapalic
March 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I'm going to be honest. I hate bumpits.

Peter
March 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Seemed pretty typical to me, other than teasing and using a bump-it. I thought the latter was to replace the former. But oh well, it's not like I really know anything about bump-its or teasing, nor do I ever use them, so my opinion doesn't matter anyway.

Everything not to do to your hair if you are trying to grow it to your tail bone maybe. But if you just want short, trendy styles, then this is fine.
This about sums it up...

natt i nord
March 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
yeah, doesn't look good by YOUR standards.

Jeeeeez, I didn't think people on LHC were so judgmental and rude :rolleyes: Seriously. Imagine the girl in that video looking at a picture of your hair and saying the exact same thing you just did about HER hair. You probably don't think it's okay for her to do that, so why do you think it's okay for YOU to do that?

Did I say everyone has to think like me? I don't think so.
And if she would say that to me I wouldn't care about it. I have to like it how I wear my hair and not somebody else and here it's the same - I think it does not look good but she obivously does and I don't care about that. I just said how I'm thinking. Maybe it sounded a bit rude, but I don't see whether I shouldn't say that I think it doesn't look good.
But I'm sorry, I didn't want it to sound harsh.

And yes, I didn't say it above, but I acutally think it looked quite good without the updo (I only said it looked better without, but I actually thought it was cute) - though it's not my thing.

Fethenwen
March 20th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I'm horrible for saying this, but I absolutely hate that sort of hair. The roots, the layers, the color (very artificial non natural looking platina which doesn't suit her face color at all).

Eeek for all the hair torture, but then again, I was not so much better myself when in her age. I used to tease and spray it when it was much shorter when I was 15 something.

Unofficial_Rose
March 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
My hair would strangle me in my sleep as revenge if I did that to it. ;)

:rollin::rollin::rollin:Brilliant! But seriously, her hair looks remarkably pretty considering the way she treats it - it must be very resilient. Lucky her, mine would be breaking off above my shoulders if I did all that.

Hypnotica
March 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I'm horrible for saying this, but I absolutely hate that sort of hair. The roots, the layers, the color (very artificial non natural looking platina which doesn't suit her face color at all).

Eeek for all the hair torture, but then again, I was not so much better myself when in her age. I used to tease and spray it when it was much shorter when I was 15 something.

It is not a question of better or worse. Granted, bleaching and teasing are damaging to hair, but at her length that does not really matter. She will trim her hair often enough to never have very damaged hair.

Friesiangirl
March 20th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I didn't mean to start a war or suppress opinions. I just think we need a bit of reality check sometimes as this is a public forum. There are ways to be tactful about these sorts of things.

I'm sorry to the OP, I do not consider you judgmental, or any of the members rude. Being rude, and acting a bit rude are two different things. I feel most people would be a bit more polite if they were standing right next to the woman in question.

Take Care :)

Hayley

Dreams_in_Pink
March 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Can you please tell me what a clip in hairball is??

Actually, that's a hairpiece i made up :D It's basically a bunch of shed hairs gathered in a huge knot attached to hair with one or two clips (the kind they use on clip-in extensions)

It looks exactly like teased hair if it's seen.

annie09
March 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I like this style it looks good on her and would probably look good on me too! but way too much messing for everyday i would keep it for nights out.

BlackfootHair
March 20th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Oh my. I watched the video with sound off, for about 30 seconds. That's all it took for me! Um...no.

catysue
March 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Actually, that's a hairpiece i made up :D It's basically a bunch of shed hairs gathered in a huge knot attached to hair with one or two clips (the kind they use on clip-in extensions)

I was Amy Winehouse for halloween a couple of years ago, and what I did to make her bouffant was buy some cheap fake hair, stuff it in to a hairnet, and use that like what you're mentioning.

bumblebums
March 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM

That's called a "rat" or a "postiche" in English. It's an old trick, it goes back centuries if not millennia.

Considering the last time someone's hair was discussed without her knowledge on LHC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=42893&highlight=rainbow+hair), I am going to keep my opinions of the woman's hair to myself.

Pagancat
March 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
What a beautiful young woman. She seems very sweet, too, but I kept thinking "ow, ow, ouch, ouch, ouch!" every time she teased her hair. My middle-aged graying head couldn't take that.

How nice for to be so young and pretty and to have stong, healthy hair that can take some abuse. Bless her.

Copasetic
March 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I'm just confused as I thought bumpits were supposed to be a tool to use to create a bouffant instead of backcombing. :confused:

In theory, but bumpits require quite a bit of backcombing to stay in place. I think they are mostly to create volume that one couldn't normally get on their own.

MissMandyElizab
March 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM
my hair is threating to cut its self if i even watch that again let alone do it.....

enfys
March 20th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I think her hair looks great for what it is; short (by LHC standards) fashionable and fun. I like how it looks and she suits the style.

Not everyone is growing their hair.

Ivy~Rose
March 20th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I personally don't like the hairstyle, but I know a lot of people like it, and I certainly admire people who know their hair well enough to do a tutorial! I always love watching hair tutorials and they've helped me immensely.

I know it's a little childish, but the reason I don't like bump-its is... when it's spelled "bumpits" my eyes think "bum-pits"--and I don't want that in my hair!! XD

JenniferNoel
March 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I'm going to be honest. I hate bumpits.

I admit it!
So do I.
They can look way worse than the depicted one though.

GlassEyes
March 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM
My sister has beyond waist length hair that could make people on this forum weep to have.

She uses a bumpit often, and teases her hair. Hell, she uses a flatiron and curling iron -pretty- damn often, and a hair dryer every day. It looks good on her, and honestly, that isn't really all that horrifying to me.

It's not your hair--who cares?

IndigoAsh
March 20th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I don't think it's necessarily that anyone cares as much as... she put her hair through all that crap to still look ridiculous!! You put yourself out in the open like that and you're gonna hear people's opinions. Personally, if I'm going to go through all the trouble she went through I'd wanna look hot. It still looked like a frumpy 'bun' which is more like a 'I was to lazy to pull my ponytail through and I think I'm still hot'.All that 'volume' upfront and that sad little hair stub in the back, it was totally left out. I think I heard a whimper.

LoveMyLongHair
March 21st, 2010, 02:21 AM

Ahhhhhh!! Thank you for that explanation!!

IcarusBride
March 21st, 2010, 06:22 AM
*cringe* I really do love the look of many of the currently 'in' styles, but watching what they are doing to their hair is like nails-on-a-chalkboard to me. I used to (and still do) really love the look of un-naturally perfect curls, but I'm no longer willing to fry my already dry brittle ends to get them. But I NEVER understood/bought into the teasing thing. Actually, I never understood the 'volume' thing. I always wanted to achieve a sleak, strait, flat look for my hair.

Sarahmoon
March 21st, 2010, 07:19 AM
Actually, I never understood the 'volume' thing.

It's to give the illusion your brains are bigger ;)

Johanna
March 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM
Considering the last time someone's hair was discussed without her knowledge on LHC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=42893&highlight=rainbow+hair), I am going to keep my opinions of the woman's hair to myself.

Very wise Bumblebums. I'm sorry I have to admit I giggled when I first read your name as I read it as 'bubblebum'.
So mature of me lol.

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM
I don't think it's necessarily that anyone cares as much as... she put her hair through all that crap to still look ridiculous!! You put yourself out in the open like that and you're gonna hear people's opinions. Personally, if I'm going to go through all the trouble she went through I'd wanna look hot. It still looked like a frumpy 'bun' which is more like a 'I was to lazy to pull my ponytail through and I think I'm still hot'.All that 'volume' upfront and that sad little hair stub in the back, it was totally left out. I think I heard a whimper.

So, you mean that if you put yourself on YouTube, it is fair game for people to be condescending and hurtful towards you?

Maybe I should remove my videos from YouTube.

Fethenwen
March 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM
This is my thoughts exactly.

So, you mean that if you put yourself on YouTube, it is fair game for people to be condescending and hurtful towards you?

Maybe I should remove my videos from YouTube.
She wasn't saying that to her directly *shrugs*

---
I'm just laughing at this video because I see myself in her, I was like that as a teen. And I remember those hairdos I had with horror :p And the excess makeup I was wearing and...

I mean we all have different tastes. I'm sure if I bumped into that girl on the street she would definitely not like my style I'm sure. What's wrong with having opinions about styles?

prettydark
March 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
Anytime you put anything on the internet, yes, you are opening yourself up to all sorts of criticism and hurtful behaviour. I'm grateful for the rules here at LHC and for how kind everyone is and what a lovely supportive community it creates.

I put up a YouTube video of me hooping (hula hooping with the big hoops) at a big folk festival, it was sunset, my kids were running around having a great time, it was just a lovely moment.

Some stranger commented something about me being a fat hairy ****. It is a hurtful comment, but I decided to leave it instead of deleting it. It reminds me of the nature of people.

beez1717
March 21st, 2010, 06:37 PM
all I have to say is YOU KNOW the bump it is in there because the hair suddenly goes up and there is a clear line. ugh and the messy bun really isn't a bun as much as it is a failed attempt at one.. ugh, where did she come up with this hair destroying routine?

Nat242
March 21st, 2010, 07:09 PM
This is my thoughts exactly.

She wasn't saying that to her directly *shrugs*

---
I'm just laughing at this video because I see myself in her, I was like that as a teen. And I remember those hairdos I had with horror :p And the excess makeup I was wearing and...

I mean we all have different tastes. I'm sure if I bumped into that girl on the street she would definitely not like my style I'm sure. What's wrong with having opinions about styles?

So it's okay to be nasty if you don't think they'll find out? This is a searchable part of the board, so it's entirely possible for this woman to find this thread anyway.

There's a difference between not liking someone's personal style and publicly tearing them down because you (general "you") don't like the way they look.

Yes, everyone has opinions, but that does not mean we have to share every single one of them with the world...especially opinions about HAIR - I mean, c'mon, as far as opinions go they're not particularly important, though they can be hurtful. Some opinions (such as about a person's personal style) are, I think, best kept to oneself.

ETA: For example - I don't think every head of hair on the LHC is beautiful, but I don't feel the need to single members out and criticise them for not conforming to my standards of beauty. By the rationale expressed by some posters, these people have posted their photo where I could see it, ergo they've opened the door for my harsh words. Um, I don't think so.

More generally:

Threads like this always surprise me, given how many LHC members bemoan how they receive horrible comments from friends, coworkers, strangers and family about their hair. You'd think that we, as a community of people who have made a particular choice about our appearance that may not be popular or conventional, would have a bit more empathy and consideration for other people styling their hair and themselves in a way that pleases *them.* Given how most of us don't want our hair choices criticised, perhaps we could extend this woman the same courtesy, regardless of our personal opinion about her chosen "look" and styling techniques.

Either uncalled for critique on our hair is fair and warranted, or it's rude and unnecessary. If it's the former, then I hope those who have criticised this woman do not post threads about a hurtful comment made about *their* hair.

Me, I think it's the latter. After all...

She's not here to decorate our world.

Vianka
March 21st, 2010, 10:58 PM
So it's okay to be nasty if you don't think they'll find out? This is a searchable part of the board, so it's entirely possible for this woman to find this thread anyway.

There's a difference between not liking someone's personal style and publicly tearing them down because you (general "you") don't like the way they look.

Yes, everyone has opinions, but that does not mean we have to share every single one of them with the world...especially opinions about HAIR - I mean, c'mon, as far as opinions go they're not particularly important, though they can be hurtful. Some opinions (such as about a person's personal style) are, I think, best kept to oneself.

ETA: For example - I don't think every head of hair on the LHC is beautiful, but I don't feel the need to single members out and criticise them for not conforming to my standards of beauty. By the rationale expressed by some posters, these people have posted their photo where I could see it, ergo they've opened the door for my harsh words. Um, I don't think so.

More generally:

Threads like this always surprise me, given how many LHC members bemoan how they receive horrible comments from friends, coworkers, strangers and family about their hair. You'd think that we, as a community of people who have made a particular choice about our appearance that may not be popular or conventional, would have a bit more empathy and consideration for other people styling their hair and themselves in a way that pleases *them.* Given how most of us don't want our hair choices criticised, perhaps we could extend this woman the same courtesy, regardless of our personal opinion about her chosen "look" and styling techniques.

Either uncalled for critique on our hair is fair and warranted, or it's rude and unnecessary. If it's the former, then I hope those who have criticised this woman do not post threads about a hurtful comment made about *their* hair.

I agree and I wish that I had not posted it in the first place, but it's too late and I can't delete. :(

Nat242
March 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM
I agree and I wish that I had not posted it in the first place, but it's too late and I can't delete. :(

My post wasn't directed at you, Vianka; I noted your regret.

We all make mistakes, but it's not easy to admit to them in public. That took guts. :flowers:

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2010, 11:28 PM

More generally:

Nat242, you rock. *THIS* was what I tried to say.

rapunzhell13
March 21st, 2010, 11:55 PM
Nat242 always says what I'm thinking but far more eloquently than I would've put it.

Fethenwen
March 22nd, 2010, 03:43 AM
Anytime you put anything on the internet, yes, you are opening yourself up to all sorts of criticism and hurtful behaviour. I'm grateful for the rules here at LHC and for how kind everyone is and what a lovely supportive community it creates.

I put up a YouTube video of me hooping (hula hooping with the big hoops) at a big folk festival, it was sunset, my kids were running around having a great time, it was just a lovely moment.

Some stranger commented something about me being a fat hairy ****. It is a hurtful comment, but I decided to leave it instead of deleting it. It reminds me of the nature of people.
Yeah, youtube is a dark place when it comes to the comments section :mad:

---

Nat242 - Good point! I see what you mean, we can't take criticism so why should we give it? Good point.

I still can't help to find that video somewhat funny :p