PDA

View Full Version : Updo test lab: Everyday Bun (with video)

Hypnotica
March 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Another video of yet another bun.....

This is my Oh-HELL-I'm-late!-bun that even works for slippery blunt-ended people, like me :) It also have the benefit of being of the bun-eats-head-variation and comfy to boot. And flat also - perfect to wear when you know you will be in a dentist's chair, for example.

The quality of the video is....not the best but it is clear enough. And I'm not that...uhm...porcelain-looking IRL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsNJ3j1VSg

I'm proudly dedicating this video to the members of LHC and especially my fellow slippery manes ! :D

gmdiaz
March 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
You are so awesome to post up do videos! I love all that you've made for us.

{{Thank You}}

going gray
March 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Can't wait until I have enough hair, I'm always at the dentist (awful)....Thank You for the wonderful videos. This one is definately will come to good use one day.

justme
March 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I really like this one! I hate it when I go to the dentist's and I always have to braid my hair and then worry about where it is. This is the answer!

Capybara
March 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
This is such an easy, practical bun! It works with sticks, clips, and pins, too :D

Thank you for all the awesome videos. You rock!

PineappleJello
March 20th, 2010, 12:10 PM
What's the song in the video?

Hypnotica
March 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM
What's the song in the video?

Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows - A little bar of soap

:D

Hypnotica
March 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I really like this one! I hate it when I go to the dentist's and I always have to braid my hair and then worry about where it is. This is the answer!

Maybe I should have nicknamed this bun "The Dentist Bun". Haha! Awsome name!

paperwhite
March 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
That looks great, I can't wait to try it out! I need to get some longer-tined hair forks...

ravenreed
March 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
The song you chose made me snort with laughter so my son had to come see what I was giggling at...

Hypnotica
March 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
The song you chose made me snort with laughter so my son had to come see what I was giggling at...

I absolutely adore her work, the song is taken from the latest album that is very ironic.

katana
March 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM

I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. *g* Could barely keep my eyes open enough to see how the bun was constructed!

jexichan
March 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I can tell that this is going to become a favorite once my hair is long enough! Thank you for the video.

ravenreed
March 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I think I have to wait until I get a different fork... I don't use mine vertically because the tines are so long. As soon as I do, I will give this one a go. Thanks for posting both the bun and the song!

Hypnotica
March 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I think I have to wait until I get a different fork... I don't use mine vertically because the tines are so long. As soon as I do, I will give this one a go. Thanks for posting both the bun and the song!

Hehe, I always use my looooong forks for this 'do! :)

Hypnotica
March 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. *g* Could barely keep my eyes open enough to see how the bun was constructed!

I very often sing that piece when I'm showering :D

Otherwise, this is rather funny too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUmWGaJnthY

Hypnotica
March 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Oh, and it would be really fun to see pics of your buns! With or without dentists :D

restourceful
March 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
*looks scornfully at short layers*
Dang! I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do this. It looks so easy and beautiful. Thanks again for thinking of us, Hypnotica! :flowers:

Neoma
March 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hypnotica, this is a great bun! It's insanely easy, but looks really cool.

The only problem is that I have the bar of soap song running through my head! :silly:

Sarahmoon
March 20th, 2010, 06:17 PM
It makes me think of a celtic knot, but I'm probably completely off :?

Neoma
March 20th, 2010, 07:44 PM
It makes me think of a celtic knot, but I'm probably completely off :?
You're not completely off, Sarahmoon. It looks a little bit like a Celtic Knot to me, too.

cindy58
March 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I like it! The music is perfect too.

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2010, 04:52 AM
On my head, it usually looks like a loosely coiled cinnabun.

ravenreed
March 21st, 2010, 04:54 AM
Hee hee! My son agrees that the Little Bar of Soap is an awesome song. I have been humming it all day.

I very often sing that piece when I'm showering :D

Otherwise, this is rather funny too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUmWGaJnthY

melusine
March 21st, 2010, 05:07 AM
This looks awesome Hypnotica, thank you.

I'm just getting into updoes and hair toys and this looks pretty easy and also fast which is great because I always seem to be running late :o Will definitely be trying this when I have a fork!

Pixna
March 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM
Did you see my latest "Dentist 'Do'" thread? This was perfect timing! :redgrin:

I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do this one. Sadly, I've got quite a few more months to go.

Thank you for all your incredibly helpful buns and videos, Hypnotica!! You are THE Updo Queen!!! :queen: :bowtome:

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Did you see my latest "Dentist 'Do'" thread? This was perfect timing! :redgrin:

I can't wait until my hair is long enough to do this one. Sadly, I've got quite a few more months to go.

Thank you for all your incredibly helpful buns and videos, Hypnotica!! You are THE Updo Queen!!! :queen: :bowtome:

Please, call me Royal Buness! Hahaha!

No, I didn't see your thread actually :D

Pixna
March 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
I have a question for you, Your Royal Buness. :bowtome: Did/does the fork dig into the back of your head at all in the dentist's chair? Although I can't do this bun yet, I could probably do another type of flat bun and secure it with a Grah-toe fork, but I want to be sure I don't end up with a broken fork or holes in my skull. Which kind of fork did you use?

Hypnotica
March 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
I have a question for you, Your Royal Buness. :bowtome: Did/does the fork dig into the back of your head at all in the dentist's chair? Although I can't do this bun yet, I could probably do another type of flat bun and secure it with a Grah-toe fork, but I want to be sure I don't end up with a broken fork or holes in my skull. Which kind of fork did you use?

I haven't tried the fork in the video in a dentist's chair yet but I have yet to experience a curved fork stab my neck laying down.

I can vouch for Quattro's Serpentine hairsticks for being ultra-comfortable while donating platelets.

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
No pics....?

*insert sad smiley*

restourceful
March 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Your Royal Buness would *not* want to see the mess I made trying to do this. :nono:

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Your Royal Buness would *not* want to see the mess I made trying to do this. :nono:

*puts crown into place*
*deep breath to muster up Queen voice*

I *DEMAND* pics! Bow to the Queen's command! If thy relent in this unyielding ways, thy will be condemned to spend eternity in Unsharp S&D Scissor realm!

:rollin:

I'm having way too much fun right now. Sleep deprivation does funny things.

Pixna
March 22nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Something about the Royal Buness's tone has me runnin' scared!!! :couch:

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Something about the Royal Buness's tone has me runnin' scared!!! :couch:

I have just finished some lovely dinner (fish cakes, potatoes) and are very content with life. And soon I will hit the showers for some scalp cleaning.

Pixna
March 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
I have just finished some lovely dinner (fish cakes, potatoes) and are very content with life. And soon I will hit the showers for some scalp cleaning.

I am glad all is well, Your Highness. I would be honored to wash your dishes while you clean the royal scalp. :bow:

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
I am glad all is well, Your Highness. I would be honored to wash your dishes while you clean the royal scalp. :bow:

I have a dish washer :D

Pixna
March 22nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
I have a dish washer :D

Hahaha!!! And here I thought the dishwasher was going to be me!! That's how much I love and appreciate you, Hypnotica...er, Your Royal Buness. :gabigrin:

MandyBeth
March 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I'll get my attempt up sooner/later. It's a half up, stick in horizontal vs vertical, and I braided it first. But I shamelessly used the idea for the bun.... Plus, it's a GTS antler stick, so at least it's with the same maker of toys....

Sooner rather than later - not a good picture or bun, but ya gotta take what ya can get :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4611&pictureid=67430

basketcase413
March 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I just quickly tried this and I'm long enough!!!!! wooohooo! It is tight and secure. I used a homemade stick to hold it....I'm thinking I might even be able to sleep in this one. It's a struggle to find something to do with my hair at night when I'm working (I'm a paramedic) when I have to jump up and run and get my hair out of my face quickly....I usually throw it up in a lazy bun, but this one is even better. Thanks!

Sorus
March 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Hypnotica, what length fork do you use in the video?

I have slippery hair, and can't wait to try the bun.

chloeishere
March 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hypnotica, are you left-handed? I am, and I can always do styles in your videos with ease. Thank you! Here's my messy contribution. I don't feel like redoing it after combing, and I see you haven't gotten many pictures, so I thought I would include what I've got.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_7693c.jpg

MandyBeth
March 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
*puts hands on hips and taps foot*

Seriously? I can NOT be the only one to try this bun - esp with my bun being so well, different. Want more pictures!!!!!!

Rebelkat
March 22nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
This is ironic seeing as I have to go to the dentist tomorrow and wasn't really sure what to do with my hair. I just might have to try this. :D

katana
March 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
No pic, coz my computer that does pictures is having periodic boot failure, and also coz I finally got it to work with a newly-acquired (thanks to Neoma Quattro u-pin - it looks basically like swoops of hair. *blurry* swoops of hair coz I have to do my own pics.

.. that being said - I totally laid down in it, rolled a bit, and it's more comfortable than anything else that had my hair up - except a very well placed log roll secured by a ficcare.

The only thing is I must not be doing something right coz I can feel it sort of pull on my head - too much scalp hair? too little scalp hair? I'm thinking too little...

MandyBeth
March 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
I'm guessing too little - my attempts pull down/back with too light, too much means they pull my eyebrows up :)

katana
March 22nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm guessing too little - my attempts pull down/back with too light, too much means they pull my eyebrows up :)

*g* I think so too; I got more scalp hair the second time, and it feels better, though it still pulls... Either that or I killed the nerves in my scalp trying. Sadly, I have a funny looking bit of outkicking tail at the bottom of my bun... I can't get over how *flat* this bun feels. :D perfect for airplane rides, if I can just manage not to have scalp-numbing pain...

MandyBeth
March 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I got the little tail part also, I liked it :) Now of course, I've since taken my hair down - and I can't get it back up like that, but oh well.

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Hypnotica, what length fork do you use in the video?

I have slippery hair, and can't wait to try the bun.

Uhm. I think that fork has 7 inches usable length.

Hypnotica
March 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hypnotica, are you left-handed? I am, and I can always do styles in your videos with ease. Thank you! Here's my messy contribution. I don't feel like redoing it after combing, and I see you haven't gotten many pictures, so I thought I would include what I've got.

Ah yes, I'm a leftie and damn proud of it ! :D

countryhopper
March 23rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
Oh! I have a HUGE favor to ask of you!!!

Would you consider writing this as an article and posting pictures? I'm currently not able to get youtube and many other websites with videos. :( I always feel so said to hear about new hairdo tutorials (yours, and TorrinPage's, etc) that are only available through youtube.

Pretty, pretty please? My hair is super slippery and is BEGGING for a new, non-slip 'do! Thanx so much!

Pixna
March 23rd, 2010, 04:38 AM
Ah yes, I'm a leftie and damn proud of it ! :D

Me too!! I think that's why I am extra appreciative of your buns and videos. I have not been able to follow anyone else's videos or directions. This is why you ARE Her Royal Buness!!!

All hail Her Royal Buness!!! :bowtome:

restourceful
March 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
I am sorta both handed for hair so your tutes work for me pretty well too.

All hail Her Royal Buness! :bowtome:

chloeishere
March 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Ah ha! I was thinking back, and I realized that every style video you have ever posted I've been able to do really quickly, first or second try. It must be the left-handedness! W00t!

Thanks for posting them, hypnotica! You created two of the four styles that I wear ALL the time, no joke!

sherigayle
March 23rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
I love this bun. It feels secure without being overly tight. It's kind of messy because of the rainy weather, and I have some pieces from layers that won't stay tucked in. But here it is anyway.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nothingperfect/70f50b5e.jpg

Hypnotica
March 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Ah ha! I was thinking back, and I realized that every style video you have ever posted I've been able to do really quickly, first or second try. It must be the left-handedness! W00t!

Thanks for posting them, hypnotica! You created two of the four styles that I wear ALL the time, no joke!

*ponders*

I'm trying to guess which updo's you are referring to....could it be Hypno Bun and Artemis Bun?

Tresses
March 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
I made this today. :thumbsup: It reminds me of your Artemis Bun, Hypnotica. :) Mine did not turn out flat like yours did, though. If my ends were thicker, I would've left them hang as a ponytail, but instead, I wrapped them clockwise, which put most of the length under the bun. Pics in my blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=67391). :eyebrows:

chloeishere
March 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Nailed it in one, Hypnotica! I'm wearing an Artemis bun right now. Everyone in the "Wear all your hairtoys once" thread will be thoroughly sick of both those updos by the time I finish. :p

Gemma
March 25th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I love this bun! Thank you so much for making a video tutorial of it. :flower:

I wore it today with my new fork from Chevelure, and it was super comfy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_3393a.jpg

nycstar
March 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I just watched your video. That's very pretty. I'm guessing that hair toy is the kind that won't damage my hair... very nice!

katana
April 27th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Did this bun with (I think - got it through a swap) a Quattro anchor pin, and it was completely comfortable at the dental office!

Thanks so much for putting the video and the post up for this bun.

majesticgoldenr
January 18th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Going to the dentist tom :(

But we sing that song at camp, with several other verses.....

My favorite verse goes:
Oh I wish I was a little church pigeon (x2)
I'd go up to the steeple and go (raspberry noise) on the people
Oh I wish I was a little church pigeon