PDA

View Full Version : Tips for less shedding...

Lia_Vaumont
March 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hello everyone! I'm in need of tips for less shedding. Work's making me shed like nuts, and well... it's discomfiting. Any advice on how to lessen shedding? Herbs or supplements to take? Regimens to follow, etc? I'm all ears. :D ^_^

chopandchange
March 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Do you CO wash? I do, and I have noticed that cones on my scalp make me shed more than cone-free. It's never concerned me unduly because I have such thick hair, but if I were shedding a lot I would not put cones on my scalp. :)

That's all I can think of!

Purdy Bear
March 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Sleeping with your head on or in Satin/silk is apparently helpful.

Daily head massages, Iv found to be good, Balayam (look up on you tube) is a nail rub that really make my head respond.

You might want to deal with the job/stress if its that, that is causing it, maybe meditation etc.

Keildra
March 20th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Cold water washes, somewhere I read that they exercise the muscle that holds hairs in or something like that, I don't know exactly what it does but I have noticed less sheds.

Scalp massages, good for distressing, and it helps with blood flow to the scalp.

Pure gentleness can help and making sure to have a well balanced diet (not saying you have a bad diet also if you ever notice anorexics tend to have thinning patches)

I haven't tried it myself but a lot of LHCers swear by biotin, not just for hair growth but for less shedding and a multivitamin is never a bad Idea.

jera
March 21st, 2010, 01:37 AM
You might want to deal with the job/stress if its that, that is causing it, maybe meditation etc.

This is my thinking too. If your hair loss is due to job related stress then the best thing to do is find a solution to that problem. :) Vitamin B complex can help us deal with stress better.

Katze
March 21st, 2010, 04:16 AM
Biotin has really helped get my growth back.

Massages seemed to irritate my scalp more, causing shedding. I don't like showering with cold water since it is already cold most of the time here.

I find (apart from my massive, horrendous post baby shed) that touching my scalp (which is unfortunately a nervous habit) makes me shed more since it makes my scalp itch more. And conditioner on my scalp also tends to make it itch, then shed, more.
SMTs seem to help too since the honey is antibacterial.

IcarusBride
March 21st, 2010, 05:59 AM
I also have a huge problem with shedding, I always have shed much more than average. Thanks Lia_Vaumont for making this post and also to everyone giving advice!

Lia_Vaumont
March 21st, 2010, 08:26 PM
Do you CO wash? I do, and I have noticed that cones on my scalp make me shed more than cone-free. It's never concerned me unduly because I have such thick hair, but if I were shedding a lot I would not put cones on my scalp. :)

That's all I can think of!
As of now I use this organic (or so it states) based shampoo which is composed of coco oil, aloe vera extract, banana leaf extract, romero (that's Filipino for rosemary) extract, and hmm... what was that... ah, yes, gugo (its a type of seed in the Philippines mountains that soap up when soaked in warm water). Back then I used to go Water Only, but found that it didn't clear up my dandruff well enough. So, I decided to give that shampoo a try since it's supposedly organic and well, it's cheap. ^_^ I rinse with ACV too. Umm... let's see, I shampoo my hair only once a week... I stopped using the bristle brush I used to use every night and reverted to using only my wood combs... Yeah, but it's still shedding. Maybe it's because of the stress... hmmm...

Lia_Vaumont
March 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
Sleeping with your head on or in Satin/silk is apparently helpful.

Daily head massages, Iv found to be good, Balayam (look up on you tube) is a nail rub that really make my head respond.

Still looking for effective ways to deal with stress... funny thing is, my job is stressful (content writer) but I enjoy it... Thing is, does a stressful job you enjoy still count as stress?

Lia_Vaumont
March 21st, 2010, 08:31 PM
Biotin has really helped get my growth back.

Massages seemed to irritate my scalp more, causing shedding. I don't like showering with cold water since it is already cold most of the time here.

I find (apart from my massive, horrendous post baby shed) that touching my scalp (which is unfortunately a nervous habit) makes me shed more since it makes my scalp itch more. And conditioner on my scalp also tends to make it itch, then shed, more.
SMTs seem to help too since the honey is antibacterial.
When I comb, I take off strands with it. Coming from the follicle itself, so it's scary. You description of your shedding sounds scary... I'm actually opting for biotin. How many milligrams/grams would you recommend?

Lia_Vaumont
March 21st, 2010, 08:35 PM
This is my thinking too. If your hair loss is due to job related stress then the best thing to do is find a solution to that problem. :) Vitamin B complex can help us deal with stress better.
I've been taking a multivitamin. It also has gingko biloba extracts, lutein, as well as lycopene. It's called Trevoca. I'm thinking about purchasing a b-complex one, and a biotin one, but I'm weary about the overdose that some B-vitamins might entail. I'm also thinking about purchasing saw palmetto at the end of the month, but I'm not sure if it would really block DHT. Any ideas or experiences regarding saw palmetto?

Lia_Vaumont
March 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM
Cold water washes, somewhere I read that they exercise the muscle that holds hairs in or something like that, I don't know exactly what it does but I have noticed less sheds.

Scalp massages, good for distressing, and it helps with blood flow to the scalp.

Pure gentleness can help and making sure to have a well balanced diet (not saying you have a bad diet also if you ever notice anorexics tend to have thinning patches)

I haven't tried it myself but a lot of LHCers swear by biotin, not just for hair growth but for less shedding and a multivitamin is never a bad Idea.
I massage with coconut oil infused with rosemary, thyme, basil, and green tea leaves (since I can't buy essential oils due to their high cost here). I do it on weekends. I also sleep on a silk pillowcase, I tie my hair when I sleep, or else I braid it... I seem to be doing all the good stuff but I'm still shedding. This makes me very wary that this might be something genetic...

Lia_Vaumont
March 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM
I also have a huge problem with shedding, I always have shed much more than average. Thanks Lia_Vaumont for making this post and also to everyone giving advice!
Heheh, you're welcome! Hope we can find the solution to our sheds here. I hope your shedding lessens soon too. :hug: ^_^

greyTraveler
May 19th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Still looking for effective ways to deal with stress... funny thing is, my job is stressful (content writer) but I enjoy it... Thing is, does a stressful job you enjoy still count as stress?

Actually, yes -- lots of good things are also high stress (in terms of biological response). If you feel stressed, your body is doing stress things.

greyTraveler

Brenda714
May 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM
My doctor raves about skin, hair and nail vitamins. I have definitely noticed a difference in my shedding (which I was so worried about, and under stress like you) plus it makes your nails grow faster and pretty.