PDA

View Full Version : Hair scares. How often does this happen to everyone else?

JenniferNoel
March 20th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Or am I just extraordinarily jumpy.

I noticed that at various times, I'm either drowsy, busy, or used to wearing my hair up, and when all or part of my hair is loose, some will swing in to view and it'll scare the living daylights out of me.
Happens most when I'm on the phone or just waking up.
I'm used to having long-ish hair, but it's still an amusing and somewhat frustrating factor for me.

I'm the kind of person that always has the hair up, and is always generally busy, so it's understandable that this would happen from time to time.
:cheese:

Anyone else do this? Or am I just a wimp? LOL.

rho1640
March 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM
if you had asked this a week ago I would have just laughed - but then it happened to me - I swear I jumped a foot too ;)

Rennire
March 20th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Yes this happens to me too! Usually when I am alone late at night. I keep thinking "Ack! What just moved over there!?!" And then stare wide eyed at the dark for a few seconds before I figure it out! =P

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2010, 08:49 AM
More often with me my hair will brush up against my arm or leg and I'll freak, thinking it's a bug.

emmabovary
March 20th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Well, I'm always jumpy. At least once a day I think I see something move in the corner of my eye. Mystery solved - it must be my hair :D

MonikaHa
March 20th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yup, happens to me quite a lot, if I wear my hair up, and then if it brushes against my neck or shoulder I think it is something crawling on me LOL

TiaKitty
March 20th, 2010, 09:25 AM
You are not alone... or maybe you are, and it was just your hair freaking you out...

It happens to me, too. I usually think it's bugs and I do a heeky-freeky dance. Then I get paranoid and check my hair for bugs, because getting bugs caught in my hair is not outside my reality. Happens frequently in the summer!

JenniferNoel
March 20th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I get paranoid and check my hair for bugs
I had to shake a grasshopper out of my bun yesterday. He was quite content there, saw him in a mirror clinging on to the side. But then, all day, after I let my hair down an hour before sleep, every time my hair brushed my arms I'd eep.

Copasetic
March 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I get freaked out when my hair starts brushing my arm. I'm not used to it reaching there.

Carolyn
March 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Look at it as a good thing. It means your hair is getting longer. I love it when my hair gets long enough to do something new.

Merewen
March 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM
This has not happened to me, but I tend to mistake things like signs and lamps for people and jump, so really, it's just a matter of time.

JenniferNoel
March 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Look at it as a good thing. It means your hair is getting longer. I love it when my hair gets long enough to do something new.

Haha. That reminds me. After the scare, I'm thinking, hey hair, that's a nice trick. :cool:

jexichan
March 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM
More often with me my hair will brush up against my arm or leg and I'll freak, thinking it's a bug.
This, especially since spiders seem to be drawn to me. My hair recently started to brush my shoulders- the terror!

Ravenne
March 20th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I've had the "thinking it's a bug or something" on my arm when it's my hair. Usually a shed hair, though. I always jump and have a minor flip out moment. But then it doesn't take much to make me freak out. :P

Juliannaissance
March 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
This happens to me a lot, usually individual strands will touch my arm and I freak because I think it's either a spider or a cobweb! hahaha...

ArienEllariel
March 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I did that the other day. I was like zomgosh what is thatttt??
turned out to be a small chunk of hair blown around by my ceiling fan.

Ksenia
March 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
This post made me burst out laughing because I thought I was the only one crazy enough for that to happen to! I remember the first time my hair brushed my hip, I freaked out because I thought maybe a stinkbug or ladybug had landed on me. It still happens to me now and then, and it still startles me as much as ever.

rach
March 20th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Defiantly since i hennaed. And in the sunlight it is so vibrantly :justy: "what's that?......... oh it's my hair" (year on and i'm still not used to it :rollin:)

pelicano
March 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM
My hair isn't long enough to freak me out in that way, but I shed a lot and when a single hair drops down on to my bare arm, I'm always convinced it's a spider.

guccixx
March 20th, 2010, 04:01 PM

This!!! It happens all the time to me. Annoying.

rags
March 20th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Well, on the opposite side, when my hair used to be tailbone, I once felt what something on my arm while I was in the shower. I didn't even jump, my hair had done it so much. Stupid hair, making me think it was a bug! So I finished washing, reached down to gather my hair off my arm and got - a great big spider crawling up my arm!!! :scared:

I'm now paranoid in the shower.......

Autumnberry
March 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Yes, this happened to me recently and caused my heart to race. I was bending forward outside looking throug a bag of clothes, and a plastic mirrow caught my tangly hair in motion. (I thought it was a spider :)). I shrieked, too--it was pretty funny, looking back....

TiaKitty
March 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Okay, here's a new one for me. I had a tickle down the back of my bare leg today... I bent over, looked at my leg... nothing. I stood back up and walked a couple more steps; tickle, tickle, tickle! I bent the other way and looked at my legs. Nothing. I turned around in a circle like a dog chasing my tail, trying to see whatever it was. I was sure it was a bug. Nothing! I walked a couple more steps and felt it again. Right on that super soft and sensitive skin at the back of my knee. Finally, I bent over, put my head between my legs and looked through and behind my knees. I saw a single hair, dangling much father down than it should be. I grabbed at it and pulled. Guess where it was stuck? Firmly between my buttocks, dangling down, teasing me mercilessly. I guess I am still happy it wasn't a bug, though I was outside all day.

curlylocks85
March 20th, 2010, 06:21 PM
You are definitely not a wimp. My hair scares me too. Sometimes, when I wear my hair down, I catch a glimpse of it in my peripheral vision and think something or someone is next to me. It took me a while to figure out it was just my hair. Even though I know this intellectually, my heart still quickens when I catch that quick glimpse.

JenniferNoel
March 20th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I just had another incident about an hour ago.
For starters, I have the front strands of my hair braided.
I was outside in the near-dark, and as I began to remove my glasses to clean them, one of the braids fell over them and made a grasshopper-like sound, and the braid just happened to have the same general dimensions as a grasshopper towards the bottom, and I calmly cussed as I tried to shake off the non-existent insect out from between my hat and lenses, took me about 10 seconds to figure out it was my hair. :run:

GlassEyes
March 20th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Sometimes, a strand (or chunk, usually) of hair will fall out of my bun and graze my neck and I'll freak a bit--then realize, half-way through my incident of terror, that it's my hair, and not a spider.

It figures that something I want can imitate one of my fears. :rolleyes: It gets worse when my hair is straightened and I go to change--it's really fine, and when it's straight, it touches places it otherwise can't, and it feels like something is whispering across my skin, or something. *shudder*

*Aoife*
March 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Well, on the opposite side, when my hair used to be tailbone, I once felt what something on my arm while I was in the shower. I didn't even jump, my hair had done it so much. Stupid hair, making me think it was a bug! So I finished washing, reached down to gather my hair off my arm and got - a great big spider crawling up my arm!!! :scared:

I'm now paranoid in the shower.......

Aggghhhh!!!! :( :scared: :shocked: :run:

One of my plaits unwound itself one night when I was sitting up playing gameboy with the lights off. Whatever way I was would up, it managed to touch off the side of my foot!! I was so scared!

beez1717
March 21st, 2010, 06:18 PM
you got me jumpy just from hearing this story!!!

Hay22
March 21st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Last week I wore a shorter-sleeved shirt than I'm accustomed to beneath my scrubs because it's finally warming up here and I swear I jumped every single time my hair brushed against my arms. It is a cool feeling though, I hadn't had that happen in almost a year, so it's a sign that it's growing.

rhondalicious
March 21st, 2010, 10:16 PM
When I first cut my hair short, back in September, I'd scare myself with my bangs ALL THE TIME. They were just the right length to touch my eyelashes if I didn't have my glasses on, and then it would feel like a big or spiderwebs in my eyes, eurgh. Luckily my bangs are jaw/almost chin length, now. Whew!