PDA

View Full Version : Apparently we are quite spiritual people

Fethenwen
March 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I just found some info about the Kundalini tradition which is a sort of branch of Yoga teachings, and it has something interesting to say about hair :p

http://www.3ho.org/kundalini-yoga/kundalini-yoga-lifestyle/hair-care/

" ...the hair was the first technique to raise the Kundalini energy. When the hair is at its natural full length and coiled over the anterior fontanel for men or the posterior fontanel for women, it draws pranic energy into the spine.

The force of this downward positive energy causes the Kundalini energy to rise for balance.

Actually, the hair was so important that the word for consciousness, kundalini, derives from the kundal which means “a coil of the beloved’s hair.”

Yey for rising kundalini energy :cheese:

I also find it interesting that they mention oiling, but that is of course a common practice among all kinds of people in India.

marikamt
March 20th, 2010, 07:59 AM
it is interesting (to me) how many religions (long) hair is mentioned in.... I will add both Judiasm and Christianity to the list as that is what I am familiar with

Purdy Bear
March 20th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Iv been around the metaphysical circles for years and have never come across this, but saything that, few I know have been into yoga or kundalini.

Kundalini is called the coiled snaked, and is the natural bodies energy which is supposed to live in the lower energy centers (chakras (pronunced chuck rahs)) of the body.

Some do practice avidly to raise the kundalini but it isnt necessary.

You do have a chakra between your eyebrows called the Brow chakra or third eye. This chakra helps the psychic ability and intuition, as well as clairvoyance (clear seeing - those that see spirit). Another chakra is centre on the top of the head, so maybe thats were the coiled hair comes in.

Iv never been told not to have long, short, bangs or no bangs as far as spiritual development was concerned. I can say most of those involved do have very good hair, probably due to the meditation practices with good nutrition and vegetarianism being popular, although the later isnt necessary.

Its an interesting subject I will have to take time to investigate. I do know a lot of cultures cover the crown of their head as a protector the crown chakra or feel it is a devine place etc.

Carolyn
March 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Cool article! Interesting that they mention oiling and yogurt.

IndigoAsh
March 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM
that was a good read... uff as I reply an hour after clicking the link.

Tornerose
March 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
That is so cool.
Even body hairs seem more than a nuiseance now

enfys
March 20th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Well now I'm confused. All these yogic teachings are wonderful, and backed up by a lot of history but some of the terms are only giving me pointers to information about Sikhs; the rishi knot for example. I'm a little bit confused over that.

This is an interesting read too: http://www.mrsikhnet.com/index.php/2007/09/04/improve-your-vitality-and-meditation-with-long-hair/

Yes, I'm hoping to find an appropriate yoga style. :lol:

It's funny how so few yoga teachers follow this advice though, which I assume is more down to the different branches of yoga?

jera
March 21st, 2010, 01:48 AM
it is interesting (to me) how many religions (long) hair is mentioned in.... I will add both Judiasm and Christianity to the list as that is what I am familiar with

This is true. Funny though that Buddhists don't value hair at all and shave it off, yet they are powerfully spiritual people. Weird cultural discrepancy.:)

GlassEyes
March 21st, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'm tempted to say long hair is connected to spirituality almost subconciously in a lot of religions, even if they don't come out and say it.

Many sects of Paganism and Wicca come to mind--I don't think I've ever seen a depiction of the Goddess, no matter how primitive in style, with short hair. :shrug: Though that might be because long hair seems 'natural' and has a connection with the earth--but again, the Earth is spiritual in those religions (and most), so yeah. :shrug:

Igor
March 21st, 2010, 09:40 AM
That was interesting :flowers: thanks!

Beansidhe
March 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the link, an interesting read! It really is fascinating how different religions and cultures perceive hair, and how much spiritual meaning it can have! It's unfortunate that western culture tends to see hair only as some sort of fashion accessory.

Fethenwen
March 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM
This is true. Funny though that Buddhists don't value hair at all and shave it off, yet they are powerfully spiritual people. Weird cultural discrepancy.:)
Hahah, gee I did not think of that! Cultural discrepancy indeed :p

Thanks for the link, an interesting read! It really is fascinating how different religions and cultures perceive hair, and how much spiritual meaning it can have! It's unfortunate that western culture tends to see hair only as some sort of fashion accessory.
This is so true!

ruffian
March 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Interesting indeed. Thanks for the link!

oceanwoman111
March 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks. This is so interesting. More incentive to keep that hair growing. :happydance:

windinherhair
March 24th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Cool! I had no idea I was rising kundalini energy! :D

chotee
March 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks, this was indeed an eye opener for me...as i am a yogin and like you say, Kundal is hair in my language but i have never done the connection...its so wierd :smile:....i always connected it with a coiled serpent instead of hair even though the meaning is indeed hair. and the funny thing is i was 4 years into my yoga practice when i started growing hair out of interest....

Zopheya
March 26th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Good point. But it's not as discrepant as it seems at first.

One reason why Buddhists shave their hair is 1) to symbolize detachment from the body and material form; and 2) to symbolize a rite of passage.

Kundalini yoga is a method for transcending attachment to the body and material forms. But the method is not the goal itself - and so the yogic goal of bodily detachment accords with the symbolic nature of shaving one's hair in Buddhist traditions.

It's interesting to note that in some yogic traditions and lineages, disciples sometimes shave their head when they are initiated - again symbolizing the two things mentioned above.

Zopheya
March 26th, 2010, 02:52 PM
*Er, that is, "two reasons why Buddhists shave their head." Not "one." Oops!

Cailie
March 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I find such articles about hair, cultures, rituals, etc. very interesting and no doubt there is much more wisdom there than in cosmetic commercials (:

jera
March 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM

I'm from Western culture but see hair as spritual or at least more than a fashion accessory. I understand what you mean though. :)

Good point. But it's not as discrepant as it seems at first.

One reason why Buddhists shave their hair is 1) to symbolize detachment from the body and material form; and 2) to symbolize a rite of passage.

Kundalini yoga is a method for transcending attachment to the body and material forms. But the method is not the goal itself - and so the yogic goal of bodily detachment accords with the symbolic nature of shaving one's hair in Buddhist traditions.

It's interesting to note that in some yogic traditions and lineages, disciples sometimes shave their head when they are initiated - again symbolizing the two things mentioned above.

Good point. However, Buddhists keep their heads shaved perpetually. I prefer the yogic tadition. I can understand the rite of passage, but what about afterwards? :) It's hard for me to see hair as a material thing, for me it's a part of myself like my brain or my heart. I can't live without it. Jewelry is material and unecessary, but hair, one's own hair? Hmmm.

It's all very interesting to learn.

dropinthebucket
March 27th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Men's long hair is an especially interesting topic in this thread! For many cultures, a man's long hair was an extension of soul - aboriginal peoples, the celts, etc. - and/or an extension of his capacity as a warrior. Then there's that whole Samson and Delilah story :) - and, ya know, she *cut it off*! Might be interesting to find out when the whole no-long-hair for men thing got going?

jera
March 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Men's long hair is an especially interesting topic in this thread! For many cultures, a man's long hair was an extension of soul - aboriginal peoples, the celts, etc. - and/or an extension of his capacity as a warrior. Then there's that whole Samson and Delilah story :) - and, ya know, she *cut it off*! Might be interesting to find out when the whole no-long-hair for men thing got going?

The Celtic tradition has always appealed to me for some reason.

Samson and Delilah was one of the first bible stories I was taught as a kid. No wonder I became a long hair. Talk about misfortune befalling someone after a haircut. Ouch !! :p

Zombiekins
March 27th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I didn't read further to see if anyone else had something to say about this comment...

It's not that Buddhists don't value hair, it's that they frown upon attachments to things like money, objects, and glitzed up appearances and the ego that comes from those things. It's not a weird cultural discrepancy to teach about letting these things not become so important that you wrap yourself up in your appearance and things you have.

eta: I did skim a bit after posting and noticed I'm not the first to point this out. :p

t's hard for me to see hair as a material thing, for me it's a part of myself like my brain or my heart. I can't live without it. Jewelry is material and unecessary, but hair, one's own hair? Hmmm.

But, you can live without it, as evidenced by female Buddhist monks, balding women, cancer patients being treated with chemo, and Sigourney Weaver in Alien3. Having long hair, or hair at all, doesn't keep you breathing or eating or do anything to assist your living beyond massaging your ego and making you "feel better." Just sayin'. If your head was shaved tomorrow I'm quite certain you wouldn't drop dead. Throw a hissy fit maybe, but certainly not die on the spot. ;)

glass in bloom
March 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I read an interesting article in college about hair, spirituality, and sexuality. The basic argument was that hair is the symbolic genitals because of kundalini power moving up through the spine from the genital chakra and up out the top of the head.

Then he proceeded to talk about Buddhist monks and Hindu mystics and their relationship to their hair and how it relates to their spirituality and (lack of) sexuality. The monks shave their heads in (in this guy's argument at least) an effort to spiritually cut off their sexuality. The Hindu mystics, on the other hand, grow dreads and ignore their hair because they are ignoring their sexuality.

I suppose if you were to carry this line of thinking, then in the Samson and Delilah story, when she cuts off his hair, she's cutting off this virility and masculinity, which is why he loses his strength.

On the other hand, the writer of the article was majorly into Freud, and stated that none of his informants thought there was any connection between their hair and their sexuality, just between their hair and their lack of attachments, as zombiekins says.

Inspired by this article (even though I think it's mostly a bunch of bull) and by modest women who cover, I am a pagan who worships Freyja, a sex goddess (among other things), and so I grow my hair long and beautiful as a way to acknowledge my sexuality and spirituality.