PDA

View Full Version : long hair out while cooking?

Sunny_side_up
March 20th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I enjoy watching many cooking programmes, today i tuned into one that has different guests who visit and rustle up dishes. I cant remember the womans name but believe she is half italian. whenever she comes to cook her mid-back slightly layered mahogany hair is always cascading down and her hands are always stroking her hair before she gets down to the cooking. Today she mixed olive oil onto salad leaves and couple times she came close to touching her hair, not that that would do any damage:eyebrows:
Who here if they had an opportunity to be a guest on shows where they would be getting hands covered in food or whatever feel comfortable about wearing their hair down for it? The lady does have very nice hair. :)

Yozhik
March 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Interesting question :)

I wouldn't mind getting cooking products in my hair, since I put a lot in intentionally, but in terms of annoyance and concentration, I always seem to put my hair up and out of my face whenever I'm cooking. So it's probably a no for me :o

Fiferstone
March 20th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I'd totally put it up. The last thing you want is food in your hair, or hair in your food :).

It would really annoy me if I had to keep moving it out of the way. I just think it's unsanitary to have to deal with your hair at the same time as you are preparing food. My hands would be rough, dried-out , cracked and bleeding nightmares if I had to wash them repeatedly (touch hair-wash hands-touch food-wash hands-touch hair...you get the idea).

Sunny_side_up
March 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Hi Yozhik,

hooray for kitchen store cupboard products!:D
Must say my hair is always tied/claw clipped back while cooking, lovely seeing pretty lengths on the tv and with cooks i think that their hair must get some good nourishment!
When i first had all the layering nearly 2months ago i was doing the flicky head thing alot, was also adjusting to the new sweepy fringe. The longer the hair the less head flick which isn't nice on the neck hey. I dont really do it now= good sign:bounce:

Happy healthy growth

RavennaNight
March 20th, 2010, 07:40 AM
For safety of the hair and not getting hair in the food, it needs to be up. You're dealing with hot stoves, foods at high temps, sticky food, etc. And not to mention NOBODY WANTS HAIR IN THEIR FOOD! Wearing hair up for cooking is about safety and hygene, nothing more.

Sunny_side_up
March 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I'd totally put it up. The last thing you want is food in your hair, or hair in your food :).

It would really annoy me if I had to keep moving it out of the way. I just think it's unsanitary to have to deal with your hair at the same time as you are preparing food. My hands would be rough, dried-out , cracked and bleeding nightmares if I had to wash them repeatedly (touch hair-wash hands-touch food-wash hands-touch hair...you get the idea).

Too right Fiferstone! My hands would seriously suffer, though typically on this programme ive noticed when then chefs go to wash their hands in the sink its water only?! Unless the soaps been hidden well:eek:

Happy healthy growing

Purdy Bear
March 20th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I was at school in the 70s and 80s and hair had to be tied back or covered, so I always did when I cooked, I dont need to worry at the moment.

NB Did you know that wigs dont mix with heat, synthetic wigs just get destroyed by heat from the oven!

Carolyn
March 20th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Is that Giada? I think that's how you spell her name. I don't think the program is trying to show sanitary hair habits for cooking. They want the host/hostess to look attractive while she cooks.

I don't worry too much about things like that when I'm cooking at home. I'm conscious of safety as far as hot ovens and the flame on the gas stove. But I don't get too worried about touching my hair when I cook or getting hair in the food. If one of my hairs gets in the food I don't get upset about it. I pull it out of the food and go on eating :shrug: I don't have company or cook for others. It's just us so it's not a big deal to me. If I were to get some oil in my hair it would be just a little bonus hair care :p

orbiting
March 20th, 2010, 09:31 AM
It's probably Giada. She cooks italian, has long brown hair, etc. She doesn't put it up and yeah, she has her hands in it a lot. Not so much on her own shows, but they may edit it out.. she might fidget with it when she's nervous. She's not the most sanitary, but she is depicting the idea of cooking at home. Where not all of us are all too sanitary (I am, but my mom's a chef and pounded it into my head).

When I cook, anywhere, the hair goes up and back. I hate my hair being in my way.

Sunny_side_up
March 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM
The programme i was watching is Market Kitchen, dont know the name of the half Italian lady.
One of the presenters Amanda has nice hair, the front has some short layering-chin,shoulder, only a few months ago did i realise the back is much longer(well to me:)), passing bsl i think. She used to do a programme about property abroad, her hair was different then, typically she kept it on the shoulders and dyed lighter. I'm aware of the Giada lady, what a smile! Her food tasting show was on here in UK few months back.
Happy growing

JenniferNoel
March 20th, 2010, 10:13 AM
As long as the hair doesn't come in contact with open flames. That would not be cool.
I always have my hair up when cooking, not just to keep ingredients out of it, but to keep it out of the ingredients, and away from the heat. :p

adiapalic
March 20th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I don't mind getting my hair in EVOO... but I would get a little irked if my hair got in some raw chicken juice or something.

I keep my hair up when I cook, because if don't... I just know one day it will end up getting burned on something! :(

Shermie Girl
March 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
My hair has to be up or back when I am cooking. I was taught growing up that you don't mess with your hair in the kitchen, you pull it back and keep it out of the food. That was reinforced by the time I spent working in food service. :)

Just a brief hijak, I am also exceedingly irritated by cooking shows where the hostess (for some reason it is usually a woman) has long sleeves hanging down all over the place while cooking. EW! Roll up your d*mned sleeves, already! End hijak.

Sunny_side_up
March 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
This talk of burning reminds me of a bus journey years ago when i was heading to secondary school and a girl was sitting there on the bus with a lighter burning the tips off strands of her hair:disbelief

Carolyn
March 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM
This talk of burning reminds me of a bus journey years ago when i was heading to secondary school and a girl was sitting there on the bus with a lighter burning the tips off strands of her hair:disbeliefNot the safest thing to do while riding a bus but what she was doing is called singeing the ends. It's said to seal them from further splitting.

IndigoAsh
March 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
hair up for sure!! Mostly cause it gets so hot and falls in my face when I'm getting something out of the pantry or what not. Hot stoves are definitely not welcomed anywhere near my tresses... or my head.

Capybara
March 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I always keep my hair up and out of the way while cooking. It becomes as much of a safety issue as a hygiene one, I think (:

My friend caught her hair on fire at the dinner table once, because she flicked it over her shoulder and it landed on a candle. After that, I've never quite gotten used to having my hair near hot surfaces!

CrisDee
March 20th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I also had a bad experience that made me confine my long hair when cooking. Back in the late 70's, when my hair was as it is in my signature, I made a dish for a church dinner that ended up having one of my hairs in it - not much mystery whose it was, very embarassing! Ever since, I've at least tied it back or put it up using a pen for a hair stick :)

jexichan
March 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I usually wind up with a chopstick or one of my trusty hair-safe hair ties pulling my hair out of my face. I've caught my hair on fire before so I'm a little gun shy. :o

masnmab
March 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM
My grandmother flips out every time we watch the Food Network together, because no one has their hair tied back or covered and it makes her so angry!

My hair is always back, sometimes covered with a bandanna as well when cooking. Besides not wanting one of my long, coarse hairs to end up in the salad, I would hate for it to get stuck or burnt on something.

CaraLynn
March 20th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I usually at least braid mine while I'm cooking at home, and when I'm working at the certified kitchen I always ALWAYS have to have my hair all the way up or at the very least in a tight braid. I'm thinking that someone told me that if an inspector stopped by and someone had their long hair down it'd be a problem. ::shrugs::

I do it at home cause my family complains about hair in their food if I don't, and I've gotten so used to it at work that now it feels kinda gross to cook with it down.

Haith
March 20th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I have a little apron that I wear when I'm cooking, so before I get into my kitchen groove I put it on and put my hair into abun to get it out of the way. My hair has a habit of swinging over my shoulder, and the last thing I need is for locks of it to plunk into the spaghetti sauce I'm stirring on the stove! I also don't want to have to worry about it when my hands are covered in oil/vegetable juice/chicken etc, so there's no way I would wear it down in the kitchen, even for 15 minutes of fame!

Autumnberry
March 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I usually put it back for safety and hygiene reasons. Except yesterday, when I prepared lunch in the early morning with it down (it was air drying) and then ended up with a 22 inch hair in my food AND mouth at lunch, in front of people--totally gross having people watch that one!! That's my lesson learned :).

ArienEllariel
March 20th, 2010, 04:50 PM
From a post I remember reading about another LHCer that involved a stove and loose hair the result was singed hair. Since this is something I wish to avoid, the minute my hair is long enough to get in the way while cooking, it will be put up to avoid injury.

*Aoife*
March 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I have to keep my hair up in the kitchen. It's hammered into me in school and now that my hair is feeling that little bit longer, it's necessary. I found a small tangle of hairs in the pot I was cooking pasta in the other day. It was kinda gross, and it took me ages to fish it out!