PDA

View Full Version : Long haired ladies with bangs!?

BigDreams
March 19th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'd love to see some pictures of ladies with long hair who have bangs. Someone suggested I get them and I've been considering it, but want to be 100% sure.

What problems come with having bangs? I now they can be a pain in the Summer, and seem to always look bad in the wind. Are they easy to pin up?

What about when I'm hot and sweaty (say at the gym), what problems could I have then?

Do bangs constantly require styling? A pony tail or bun takes all the skill I have LOL.

Basically: I am a very active (constantly sweaty) horseback and bike rider which means I always have helmet-head. I still haven't figured out how to make hair look good, so it needs to be low maintence. But I do desperatly want a change, without dying, layering or cutting off length.

Here is a picture of my hair (though it's a couple of inches longer now). Do you think I would look good with bangs? Not straight bangs, slightly longer whispy ones.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/UnHarnessed/Marys4.jpg

PineappleJello
March 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
What problems come with having bangs? I now they can be a pain in the Summer, and seem to always look bad in the wind. Are they easy to pin up?

What about when I'm hot and sweaty (say at the gym), what problems could I have then?

Do bangs constantly require styling? A pony tail or bun takes all the skill I have LOL.

If I don't comb my bangs before it dries my bangs stick up all over the place.

It's relatively easy to pin them back, or to have a head band in.

I don't style mine, I just run a comb through while wet. Blow drying them can help.

Sylvanas
March 19th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Here is a picture of my hair (though it's a couple of inches longer now). Do you think I would look good with bangs? Not straight bangs, slightly longer whispy ones.

I think your hair looks beautiful the way it is, and I do not think you'd look better with bangs. If you have to do it, I'd go for longer sideswept ones at least (Please keep in mind that this is only my personal opinion).

Bangs can look great when styled, and for a lucky few they look great with no effort at all. I've had them with long hair and with shorter hair (BSL), but I can honestly say that most of the time it didn't look like I wanted it to look. If you have greasy skin/hair, they will start to look horrible and separated/stringy fast. Depending on the type of bangs you might need frequent trims. It takes ages to grow them out, and again, depending on style, you will go through a lot of awkward stages. Any cowlicks will mess up your bangs and you'll need to use a lot of product to tame them. The feeling of hair in your face can be very annoying. Wind is your enemy...

On the bright side, if you go through with it and decide you don't like it, it will grow back out eventually. And hey, who knows, you might end up loving your bangs. I did, for shorter periods of time anyway ;) I still get the urge to cut bangs when I see pictures of myself where they look good. I just try to remember that it didn't look like that most of the time.

myrrhmaiden
March 19th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I don't think you need bangs at all. I think it looks really nice just the way it is honestly. If you want them, that is a different story. Here are my experiences with bangs:

- They need to be styled to look right.
- They need maintenance cuts often.
- They get greasy before the rest of your hair and need frequent washing.
- They get messed up if you wear hats or helmets (which you do.)
- They take forever to grow back out.

If you don't want higher maintenance hair than you have already, I'd say "nope" to bangs.

Katurday
March 19th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Bangs are never something you should get if you don't want them. They have only aesthetic bonuses and MANY annoying drawbacks. Never get them because of any percieved insecurities, because in honesty your face is beautiful without them. If you want them, love them, and can tolerate a bit of extra routine, get them.

My bangs get this nice little list of annyoances:
-Kinda difficult to pin back (due to their slight layering)
-Get greasy WITHIN THE SAME DAY OF WASHING
-Get long far too fast
-Have to be blowdried to dry all together (hair naturally splits in the middle)
-Get in my eyes often
-Have to be adjusted in case of...breeze...speedy walking...breathing.
-Increase forehead acne, kinda make forehead hot

BONUSES:
-Balance out my face, hide my horrible lack of temple hair which looks like balding, shiny, love love love.

simplysnuggle
March 19th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I have side bangs that have grown out so much that I can tuck them behind my ear. They are super easy to pin up just 2 bobby pins in an X shape and I'm good to go. I have curly/wavy hair and it took a little while to train my bags to go where I want them. Sometimes when its really humid I even have to straighten them because they get so curly. Other than that I have no real issues. I love my bangs! Good Luck!

BigDreams
March 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! They definitely sound like more work then I am willing to put in!

Yozhik
March 21st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for posting this question -- I've been wondering about bangs on and off, too.
I guess I'll resist for now . . . :)
Although I love the way they look!

AmericanWoman
March 21st, 2010, 05:13 PM
I decided to cut bangs last year. Since I wore bangs most of my adult life til 7 years ago you'd think it would be ok. Well I diudn't like them. So I brushed them back. No more sleeked back ponytails, updos ect. I *have* to wear a headband toikeep them back. If they're not held back I look like a scrubwoman. (read:not neat looking) Now they're getting long enough where the'd fit in a pony or updo so what do I do? CUt Them Again!! aghhhh! I'll never learn. Of coarse, I didn't like them. So back to needing a headband ect til they get long enough. Be REAl sure you want bangs. :)

CaityBear
March 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Depending on length, they're very easy to pin back. They're down to the bottom on my nose though I usually trim them to eyebrow length which I can still somewhat pin back if I'm picky.

They get greasy really quickly. Well, my scalp overall gets really greasy, but my bangs show it the most. Though it's really easy to just quickly wash them in the morning, I just don't have the energy.

Personally, I have bangs because if I wear my hair back and there are no bangs or anything my face looks *REALLY* funny. I have to have something around my face to look normal. haha

Mine I usually find don't need to much styling. I shower, then pick a part and comb them and usually they dry pretty good. Sometimes I need to dampen them and comb them again to have them sit right.

But I think you look great without bangs. No use getting bangs unless you're 110% sure you want bangs.