PDA

View Full Version : Moisture/Protein and Shedding

_bp_rose
March 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hello Ladies,

I have started my hair journey all over again (about 4 months ago), but have noticed since the start of the journey that I am having a LOT of shedding. I mean when I shower, when I wash, when I fingercomb, it doesn't matter what I do, if my hair is touched it comes out - a lot more than normal shedding.

Pieces of relevant information:
I had a baby about a year ago, but didn't shed 2-3 months afterwards (like I read for post pregnancy shedding) I was breastfeeding, so maybe it just waited until now to happen?

Early Feb I got fed up and found out I could do protein treatments with just egg to end shedding. So I did egg and about 2 T of condish. It seem to improve a lot at first (I could feel the difference) but by midweek it was shedding just the same. Maybe a bad idea but I did it again,once a week for 2 more weeks, hoping that it just needed more protein. But by that 3rd time, I saw almost no change, still shedding.

Last week I did a garlic trmt. My hair came out like crazy when I was washing it out, but after condish, and after it dried completely, it seemed to not be shedding AT ALL ... for about 4 hours. Seriously.

Ok, so advice? Before Feb I was cowashing 2x's a week, washing once a week with deep cond. Everyday I would moisturize in the morning, oil at night, I do use a satin scarf every night. I was thinking maybe I was getting too much moisture after I did the protein trmt and it seemed to help a great deal, so I rinse my hair once a week and wash once a week currently.

I'm thinking about going to a derm or calling my obgyn, but I thought I'd ask here first. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong with the protein/moisture balance. Last time I had some shedding (not as bad) I wasn't doing enough moisture for the protein products I was using.

leentora
March 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
First off what Protein treatment are you using and what is your moisturizing DC?

I too recently had a baby he is 6.5 months old and I experience the shedding you had. There is not much you can do about the post-natal shedding, it has to take its course. You may not have notice but during pregnancy you lost little to no hair.

What I did fter birth was to do a mild Protein treatment as a pre-poo weekly then followed by a moisturizing DC with heat. I also use a few ayurvedic oils, my hair loves oils :o as pre-poo in between to help strengthen my hair.

This help to build my hair up while I went through the shedding phase.

I don't know if you are a ''relaxed head'' as I am, but I waited about 4-5 months, before I started this processed again.

Let me know the products you have using and I will see if I can help further.

And aye aye for another type 4 member :cheese:

_bp_rose
March 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
YAY, so glad to have type 4's around.

The only protein trmt I've done is the egg one I described. My DC is Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol Cream(here (http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/U19S020307KZ0125.htm)). cowash with V05, daily moisturize with BB Oil Moisturizer, Hair Lotion (here (http://www.amazon.com/BB-Moisturizer-Maximum-Strength-12-Ounce/dp/B000KOM40K))

leentora
March 19th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Sorry :o deary you did mention the egg lol too sleepy over here, ok it all does sound good and should be effective. You need to keep up with it, doing it atleast once a week.
I don't want ot say go buy this or that. As the egg is a good source of protein, and the cholesterol I just check the ingredients and they seem fine.

However sometimes we do need to change the products we use and sometimes they are not as effective or our hair stop responding to them. The only pther option is to try a new protein treatment and a different DC and see you get results.

I don't see you mentioning any scalp issues, I do believe you need to ensure you do the protein treatment weekly, then DC with some heat if possible or with a steam cap for atleast an hour. Results come with being consistent with the regimen.

Ensure you keep your hair moisturized and seal with a good oil.

gmdiaz
March 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
This is a FANTASTIC article by Sistaslick. . .check it out! (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69)

Read all the articles by her, they're very helpful!

jacqueline101
February 18th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I like the lustrasilk cholesterol cream too. It's never
made me shed.