PDA

View Full Version : Sock curling

Sara_1987
March 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I did a search and there were many threads on sock buns, but not sock curling.

Since I have quit (or at least almost quit, I still straighten occasionaly sssshhh) heat styling I had some trouble with my "not quite straight but not wavy either" hair. My hair was poofy and frizzy after airdrying, but then I started sock curling at night and it has been a godsend.

I put 6 socks in my DRY hair and then sleep on them (or just leave them on an hour or two) and I get lovely waves that stick around (even without any styling products). I love the natural "tousled" look I get. My hair also become much softer and smoother with this method. The waves do tend to be much less defined at the end of the day, but then i just sleep with the socks again and I get really nice results every time. It's a nice change from the straightened look I had for a long time.

The method I use it this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpudI7Kmtbg
(this girl has beautiful hair!)

Anyone else a big fan of sock curling?

PineappleJello
March 19th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I've never tried it, but once I do laundry this weekend I might experiment with it :)

coscass
March 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm so going to try this! I knew you could do it with rags and with strips of a pillowcase, but I didn't know you could do it with socks! Thanks=D

little_cherry
March 19th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Heh.... finally! A use for those pair-less socks! ;)

heatherovka
March 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I've tried that with strips of t-shirt cotton, but I can see how socks might give bigger, prettier waves. Cotton strips also looks crazy, so I think moving to socks wouldn't make me seem too much nuttier. :p I'll have to give it a try soon. Thanks!

Is it hard to sleep with knotted sock lumps all over your head? Or not really?

Kristin
March 19th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I've done this and used the exact same video! It is very easy and I get big curls and waves, too. They stick longer if I lightly mist hair before setting. One of my favorite ways to curl.

SheaLynne
March 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Ooh, I've done these, too, and LOVE the results. I used a different video which recommended the knee-high stretchy hose, and I have a ton of trouser socks, so I use those and they are super easy to sleep on (much better than pink curlers with plastics things in them!).

Here's a pic of my curls in my album...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4802&pictureid=63192

My hair is fairly straight normally unless I work to preserve my natural wave, so curls are definitely a fun change for me!

RecklessCharlie
March 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I am most definitely trying this one!
Thank you so much for the link :)

Sara_1987
March 20th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I'm glad some of you also enjoy this.
It is indeed a great way to use those socks that "lost" their buddy in the dryer! :p

I don't curl mine very tight, because I prefer loose waves, but the beauty of this method is that you can alter it to your own preferences. You can curl all the way up to the root, or just the lower part of your hair....

It's definitely not hard to sleep in for me, but I don't put mine in very tightly so they tend to fall down my hair a bit during the night (I toss and turn A LOT). This is fine for me since I am going for loose waves any way. It may be harder if you curl more tightly though.

Heidi_234
March 20th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I think it is called rug curls, IIRC, and it's very popular around here, so you can search the boards for more guilt-free curl fun. :)

countryhopper
March 22nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
Oh! I thought I was the only one who did this! :D

I sleep in four knee socks. I fold each one in half horizantally, roll up my hair, then thread the toe/top end through the folded part and make a slip knot kind of thing.

To the person who asked if this is uncomfortable: no, not at all! I position the socks so that I have one above my ear on either side, and one on each side at the nape. So it doesn't matter how I turn my head; it never pylls or is uncomfortable.

To the OP: Have you tried snake curls (also called Z curls)? I do the same thing using socks: Just take a section of hair, drap a sock over it, and braid it (you will have one section of hair and 2 of socks). The hair comes out much nicer than when it's normally braid waved!

Svenja
March 22nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
I have done sock curling a lot in the past, and it's still my favourite way to create curls :)

Sara_1987
March 22nd, 2010, 06:06 AM
To the OP: Have you tried snake curls (also called Z curls)? I do the same thing using socks: Just take a section of hair, drap a sock over it, and braid it (you will have one section of hair and 2 of socks). The hair comes out much nicer than when it's normally braid waved!

I saw a tutorial on that in a member's profile here (I forgot her name, she had beautiful red hair). I want to try it but I need to get longer socks or fabric. The waves she had in her tutorial were so beautiful!

I straightened my hair this morning (I know, very bad) and it did not look good! I prefer my wavy sock-curled look now!

ohwhataday03
April 6th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I love my hair curly at the ends, I hope that I can get them curly like they have been the last few days. I just need to do it and hope for the best :pray:.

SarahBeth
August 12th, 2010, 08:19 AM
good video, maybe i'll give it a try

HuggyBear
August 12th, 2010, 08:50 AM
My hair refuses to hold curl using any other non-heat curling method. Sock curling gives me fantastic curls that stay all day. Plus, they are super easy, fast to do, & very comfortable to sleep in.

luxepiggy
August 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
this is so interesting! I've never tried this method before, but I did fall asleep in a sock bun (fully rolled) last night by accident, and look what I found this morning! yay! \(^(oo)^)/

http://forum.purseblog.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1179632&stc=1&d=1281748465

Camee
August 13th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I think I might try this! I curled my hair using bendy heat curlers (bad, I know, but I ran out of time to use the foam ones that take two days to dry).

Does anyone know why she leaves the ends out? I would have thought you'd want them to curl as well.

HuggyBear
August 13th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Piggy, your hair is gorgeous!

Henrietta
August 13th, 2010, 11:48 PM
When I am taking off my sock bun after 12 hours of wearing it I have fantastic curls on the ends. For 10 minutes max. Maybe I should make the bun on a damp hair if I want to have a sock bun for curls, not a sock bun for a sock bun...

HuggyBear
August 14th, 2010, 12:00 AM
If I roll my hair when it's damp, it will never dry completely. I have to wait until my hair is dry, roll it up, and mist it with my water bottle before I go to bed. My hair doesn't stay really curly long but I do get some great waves that last for the day. But it does seem to stay curlier longer if I do 2 or more smaller buns instead of 1 large bun.