PDA

View Full Version : Traumatic change

jera
March 19th, 2010, 03:12 PM
At what length would you consider a cut to be too traumatic for you to wear?

I'm a newbie, first time, tailboner. I've had three feet of hair at various times in my life and have grown so used to the feel of it, the warmth, the cover... I think I'd find a cut above waist length to be too traumatic for me personally. I know everybody will have a different breaking point. What would yours be? :rolleyes:

ravenreed
March 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I don't think any cut would be traumatic to me, as long as I chose it. It might take a bit of getting used to, but that is not the same as traumatic.

To me, traumatic would be my hair falling out, as some of our members are experiencing, or something similar.

Lady Mary
March 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I would hate having a shaved head and might find a pixie hair cut to be too short for my tastes but I would not find any of it traumatic, as it's just hair and it can grow back. :shrug:

halo_tightens
March 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I've had some extremely short cuts - on purpose- over the past ten years or so, so I guess I could make the best of whatever I had. But now that I've gotten reacquainted with the feeling of hair hanging around my shoulders and back, I really think I'd be sad and miss it. I'm still in a minor state of mourning just because it's not as long as it needs to be yet! :)

JenniferNoel
March 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hmm. Traumatic. Big word for something such as a haircut.

Personally, I would be stepping clearly out of my comfort zone at just above APL. I need to have hair draping over my arms at all times.

tralalalara
March 19th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm fine at any length, but when it's shoulder length or shorter, I feel like a need to use styling tools all the time.

MandyBeth
March 19th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I'm willing to accept whatever my hair will do now. If I lose it all again, oh well - I can get wigs and scarves and such and enjoy myself with being able to show my spider to all again. If it won't grow past my shoulders, oh well, I have iii hair so it doesn't matter how short I take it, I still look like I've got plenty - so long as it's reasonably healthy, I'll go with that. If it grows to my ankles, hey cool, I've got that long of hair.

If I'd cut off the 8-9" I have right now in one big chop, sure I'm not going to like it right away. But I'll learn and remember the fun I did have without hair. But if I in 1 hour grew 8-9" of hair, yes, it'd be equally traumatic in my mind. What on earth would I do with all that hair, I have NEVER had hair past my shoulders, hair near APL or longer would drive me batty if I suddenly had it. I can't braid, I can barely bun my hair, it knots and snarles so easily - I would probably not tolerate it and go cut it back to shoulder length or so.

Quixii
March 19th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Just out of curiosity I looked up traumatic to see if it's something I could actually apply to something not-life-ending like a hair cut, and found: "caused by or related to an event or situation that causes great distress and disruption." I don't know about great distress, but I do think I'd feel distressed if my hair were any shorter than waist. Sometimes I think about just going back to hip, and it feels like that would be too much. Too much for what? I don't know, maybe it would be one of those minorly traumatic things.

JamieLeigh
March 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I could probably handle anything up to about mid-back, then it would be too short for my taste. I can't remember having short hair - I know there were pics made of me at age ten with shoulder length, but I have no actual memory of it. Maybe it was just that traumatic even back then. ;)

Tangles
March 19th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Anything above jaw length probably would be profoundly unflattering on me. I've had collarbone length at my shortest, and that was actually pretty cute. I'm not afraid of the mid-lengths at all, since what I sacrifice by not having hair over my back is compensated by the way shorter hair frames my face more.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 19th, 2010, 03:37 PM
my starting length :( I went from waist to pob cut (pixie in the back, ear-length in the front) and hell yea it was traumatic :D

Cirafly24
March 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Anything above BSL would be very distressing to me. I once had a terrible haircut that took me from WL to about APL, and that was definitely traumatic, especially because I had asked for a 1" trim.

*shudder* I don't like to think about that!

Bethie
March 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I don't think that any hair cut would be traumatic. I would just make the most of it while it grew into something I was more happy with. But as long as I made the choice, I don't think I would call any cut traumatic.

However there was this one time when I asked for a trim and the lady cutting my hair had me looking like a rooster when I left. I almost cried that day.

IndigoAsh
March 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
basically anything above my current length would send me into rage mode. it's why I choose to stay away from the salons, the last time I went in for a trim was like a year ago and I asked for an inch trim also and she cut 4''... I just about had a complete melt down. I still talk about it...

christine1989
March 19th, 2010, 05:30 PM
As long as my hair is at least 3-4 inces long im happy :). My hair has never been shorter than that.

MonikaHa
March 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Traumatic was my postpartum shedding... I knew it would happen, but when it happened... I had nightmares about it.
So my current length is way out of my comfort zone (barely touching my shoulders). I've always had it between waist and APL.

ArienEllariel
March 19th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Clearly based on my dream last night chin length would be traumatic for me. heheh... :P No, really, since I've been trying to grow my hair I think I'd be pretty devistated to be back nearly a year of growth from where I am.

aef231
March 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I don't think any of it would be traumatic. I've had a shaved head and loved it. I've had short hair for years and I actually think it looks better on me. That said, I'd be upset if I lost much length since I AM trying to grow it out now.

lorig713
March 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Knee to waist would be too much of a change for me.

goodenough
March 19th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I had mine cut from waist to bsl (no problem), but getting 12 inches cut at once and going to chin length all at once was uncomfortable. I think I would have been fine with shoulder length. it isn't the front being short that bugs me--just the back. I like to have my neck covered (unless I'm wearing it up so my hairline can show in the back. The straight across in the back made me feel ugly. I think I'll be comfortable with my hair again once the back is about apl and the sides touch my shoulders.

If I get a big haircut again, I'd do a few inches a month and not go shorter than shoulder-length.

petitepraline
March 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM
probably a pixie.....since they're so unflattering on me.

Fiferstone
March 19th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Nothing above my chin, I've got a terribly square face to begin with, my head would look like a block. In "boy" style haircuts I look like a boy. While I was a kid, that's exactly what I had (courtesy of my mom's stylist who was enamored of Vidal Sassoon bobs -- late 60's -- and my mom wanted my hair short). It didn't help that I dressed in jeans/T-shirts/sneakers just like my brothers most of the time. I was ALWAYS mistaken for a boy. Waitress at diner: "What do you want young man?" Me: "I'm a girl!"

I could rewrite the lyrics to "I'm a boy" by The Who, only in reverse ;).

Ash
March 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I don't think any cut would be traumatic. Distressing and/or frustrating, maybe. I have had many lengths of hair including a shaved head and didn't mind any of them. If I had to cut my hair it would frustrate me in the sense of reaching my goal of terminal length because it would be an obstacle in my path. I cut about an inch off my hair the other day and it bothered me a little because I wasn't planning on any more than microtrims but it didn't really make much difference in length because the ends were so thin and it looks way better now.

Katurday
March 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM
As the kind of person who shaved (yes shaved) her TBL hair, nothing traumatises me anymore. I'd do it over again for a hundred dollars (I've got damage just BEGGING to be gotten rid of, and have gotten immune to being insecure in that "awkward stage"). You know what traumatised me a bit? Bangs. Bangs that look great on me. Why? Because they require upkeep.*sigh* I'd cry if I didn't love em.

adiapalic
March 19th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Anything shorter than waist would be too much for me. I've had long hair since I was preteen.

jera
March 20th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I could probably handle anything up to about mid-back, then it would be too short for my taste. I can't remember having short hair - I know there were pics made of me at age ten with shoulder length, but I have no actual memory of it. Maybe it was just that traumatic even back then. ;)

I no longer have any memory of short hair either. Didn't like it much. :)

Anything above BSL would be very distressing to me. I once had a terrible haircut that took me from WL to about APL, and that was definitely traumatic, especially because I had asked for a 1" trim.

*shudder* I don't like to think about that!

Stylists are forever causing hair traumas. I feel for ya. :)

basically anything above my current length would send me into rage mode. it's why I choose to stay away from the salons, the last time I went in for a trim was like a year ago and I asked for an inch trim also and she cut 4''... I just about had a complete melt down. I still talk about it...

Smart girl. I avoid salons all the time too. They never do what you ask them to, just cut, cut, cut. :( It would cause me to melt down too.

invisiblebabe
March 20th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I don't think I could do above APL.

jera
March 20th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I would not find any of it traumatic, as it's just hair and it can grow back. :shrug:

It's just hair? Isn't that something we never say here? :p

Rhiannon7
March 20th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I would not find it traumatic if i choose to cut, but to be forced to cut like to pixie or shaved or have it fall out would be a bit traumatic. i am also used to long hair, love how it feels and looks waist and beyond.

hmmm
March 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM
There wouldn't be any trauma, just the feeling that I have to do all the growing out again... as long as I'm able to put it back and up though, I'm okay with any length. But then, I've never grown past shoulder... I should come back to this when my hair's at tailbone.

catysue
March 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
I think any shorter than what it is right now would upset me! haha.

I remember when I had shorter hair, it was about APL and I got it trimmed by an overly-zealous hairstylist. She trimmed it to just below shoulder.... I was soooooooooo upset. I felt like utter crap for the next week, I just did not feel attractive at all.

PineappleJello
March 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM
If the hair person made a mistake anything more than 2 inches would be tramatic, if I were to choose to cut it I think the top of my bra would be too short.

Wanderer09
March 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
Anything above shoulder-length would upset me because I wouldn't know what to do with it. I've gotten used to having long, weighed-down hair that doesn't poof out in all directions the way it did when it was shorter. Plus I just feel more like myself with longer hair. :)

Beansidhe
March 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
I don't think anything would actually be traumatic to me unless it were to completely fall out. That seems to be a very upsetting experience to the people who have gone through it. I imagine that it would be difficult to deal with emotionally for anyone who loses their hair, especially someone who's long hair is their best feature. I would probably be very uncomfortable with anything jaw length or shorter, anything above shoulder length would feel strange to me. I don't have the kind of face shape or features that look nice with short hair. I do love short haircuts on a lot of people, just not on myself.

zule
March 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have a story. Maybe I'm easily traumatized, but this was near it.

I went with a friend to a famous stylist because she was getting a new, fresh style. She wanted moral support. I thought that since I was there, I'd get two or three inches off my nearly tailbone-length hair.

While I was still in the washing tub, he came over and grabbed hair and cut it straight across. This took two seconds.

I felt a sudden shock! It was as though I went into a dazed/numb state. It was chin length!

I cried and cried. All those years of growing, and I loved my long hair. I wish I could have sued him or something in small claims court, but I couldn't have won the case, or at least only a refund on the cut itself.

So I think a sudden change in length would be close to traumatic, rather than one you chose.

Pixna
March 21st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Anything above APL has been traumatic for me. I was pixified in 2007, and it truly put me into a psychological tailspin. I had previously vowed to never go shorter than APL, and I realized why afterward. As they say, never again!!!

Demetrue
March 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
zule - your experience sounds absolutely horrifying! I wish you could have sued for assault.

I was devestated when I went in for a microtrim on my APL hair and the stylist kep cutting shorter and shorter till I ended up with a military-style boy cut. I had taken off my glasses and I am legally blind without them, could not see a thing until I put them back on. I will never let my hair get shorter than jaw length as long as I have life in this body!

Lady Mary
March 21st, 2010, 10:55 AM
It's just hair? Isn't that something we never say here? :p

I've seen a lot of people on here say that actually.

Capybara
March 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM
If I chose to cut, I guess I would be fine with the length that I chose - but that wouldn't be above waist. I like having my hair (:

Bellona
March 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM
It depends on the cut. When my waist length hair got hacked into an unflattering shag mullet last fall I was traumatized. I didn't want to go out, and I cried a few times! It wouldn't have had the same effect if it was just a bob, though, because I've had those before and actually thought they looked cute.

But I don't want my hair above APL ever again. It's too awkward at a lot of points above there, and it's hard for a stylist to hit that "not awkward" length on me.

melikai
March 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM
I would be upset to be back at APL or shorter. I always want long hair, so it would be the thought of how much time it would take to regrow it that would be the worst part.

windinherhair
March 21st, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'd never want to be shorter then waist again, but traumatic? Probably anything close to shoulders or shorter.

Yozhik
March 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
I think I could deal with any length, except maybe bald (don't think it would look good on me). The awkward stages of growing out anything shorter than chin length would be killer, though!

enfys
March 21st, 2010, 03:57 PM
I think for me traumatic would be more about quantity lost at once. Probably more than five inches being cut off would feel "traumatic" since I wouldn't choose to cut that much off at once.

TheEndlessOcean
March 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hmm, probably if it was cut to shorter than ponytail length. I only reached it about a year ago and have no desire to go back. :p I think I'd be much more traumatized by balding, though, at least at my age. Hopefully I can get a few more decades out of my hair before I have to worry about that :D

honeyblonde
March 21st, 2010, 07:30 PM
My mother took me to get a pixie cut when I was six years old!! I really hated it! The next day I went shopping with my brother and the clerk said......can I help you two boys!!!! Talk about traumatic :o ......have been a long hair lover ever since. Soo, a pixie cut would be too short for me!

jera
March 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
My mother took me to get a pixie cut when I was six years old!! I really hated it! The next day I went shopping with my brother and the clerk said......can I help you two boys!!!! Talk about traumatic :o ......have been a long hair lover ever since. Soo, a pixie cut would be too short for me!

Being mistaken for a boy is definitely traumatic. :(

dropinthebucket
March 22nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
The new BBC Robin Hood series with Jonas Armstrong has a great scene where Lady Marian is given a traumatic hair cut. (First Season). The Sherif of Nottingham publicly humiliates Marian by having her nearly waist-length hair cut to just above her shoulders. I think they did a really good job of showing how a woman's long hair was/is a form of honour, and the cutting an act of trauma and humiliation. Of course, hers was enforced, not voluntary! Shows a good understanding, though, of what hair can symbolize. :)

Akiko
March 22nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
It will be traumatic if I can no longer make a ponytail. At that point, all my hairtoys will be useless.shudder:

Alcenaia
March 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
...it would be the thought of how much time it would take to regrow it that would be the worst part.

This is true for me. If I lost my hair, it would take me literally twenty years to get back to where I am. That would be very traumatic for me.

To answer the original question, I think cutting any more than a couple inches would be very distressing to me. Then again, I've never had short hair. The unknown is scary, and in this case, undesirable. Yay long hair. :p

MissMandyElizab
March 22nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
if it is my choice i can handle anything ,but any cut would hurt me if i didnt

IcarusBride
March 22nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
I've never had hair shorter than APL, so shoulder length and shorter would definitely be traumatic for me.

sophistiCat *
March 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
I second the losing all of your hair due to illness, it must be upsetting :(

myrrhmaiden
March 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
Before LHC, I did 3 years at the "I'm growing it long" stage, but it stayed around shoulder due to dye and mechanical damage, as well as too many hairdresser "trims." As soon as I came here and left it alone, the real growing began. Now anything less than APL would be seriously traumatic for me. I have vowed to never be shoulder length again.
/hisses

ohiofritty
March 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
I don't think any change in length would be too traumatic for my hair ... I'm usually a big fan of change which is why I've never had super long hair before.

You guys will have to keep me on the non-change train!

Monsterkitti
March 23rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Going back to my initial length on joining LHC or more would be too far for me so loosing 6"+, not traumatic as such but frustrating and would make me sad.

Loosing hair due to illnes I think would be much worse than a sudden chop.