PDA

View Full Version : Being happy with shorter hair?

Alcenaia
March 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Another thread got me wondering.

Around these parts :) people seem to have cut their hair and been very disappointed with the results, vowing never again and reaffirming/deciding on their commitment to long hair. I know many people that are content with shorter hair, but they've never had hair as long as we consider "long" here.

So, have you ever been happy with shorter hair? A haircut, or hair you used to have?

P.S. My parents never cut my hair as a child and I've never cut it, so I am curious as to people views on this! :flower:

ArienEllariel
March 19th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Actually, one of my friends used to have waist length curly hair as a child. She cut it short and loves it that way. It's easy to comb and doesn't require much styling. And no more headaches! But that's her personal decision. I, having never had long hair, want to grow it out long and keep it that way. I don't have a sensitive scalp though when it comes to pulling on my hair. I mean, if I pull a hair out it really doesn't hurt either, unlike most people I know.

Toadstool
March 19th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I cut mine very short in November and I keep thinking of growing it again, and then thinking how much better I like myself with short hair.

Lady Mary
March 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Sure, I loved my hair short. Very easy to style and take care of. On the flip side, once hair is BSLish, it seems just as easy to take care of (just the middle stage that can get annoying.)

I think I look great with a stylish bob and where I live, seeing a bob on anyone who isn't 60 years old or higher is quite rare. All the girls here have what my husband and I like to call the "approved length" (being around APL.) I don't usually see shorter than that or longer than that.

I've had a bob haircut for 15ish years. It was longer when I was a child but I cut it off after getting sick of dealing with it and sick of looking like everyone else my age. I'm attempting to grow it out again because I thought I'd see what it looks like since it's been awhile but I still get wary about it because again, everyone has APL hair around here and I really hate blending in :laugh:

CrisDee
March 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I've had some shorter cuts that I really enjoyed - one in particular, by a stylist who was really good at blunt cuts (they're not as easy as they seem, especially on my hair type). The length was between chin and shoulder, I just loved the way it moved and felt. I also really enjoyed the ease of care of my pixie. But I'm a longhair at heart, so grow I must :)

marikamt
March 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I have had short hair in the past..... I usually love it for a minute, but then wish it was long again, where-as w/ long hair, I rarely (never) wish it was short.

I think to each his own..... if short hair makes someone happy, they should have short hair. Because this is a site for long hair aficionados, the balance is tilted towards long hair (and keeping it), but then again, that IS why we all joined this site.

loralie
March 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I kept cutting it for years- I definitely loved that fresh-cut feeling, I had a long aline bob (basically short/jaw length in the back, collarbone in the front) for ever and it did suit me but that was because length near my face was good, but I never let it grow.

Now that I'm leaving it be it's looking better and better- I just wish it would go faster!

Though I haven't been to a hairdresser in about 4 years I still remember that fresh-cut confidence and feeling generally good about your new hairstyle and new look! That's probably the best part about a haircut- not the ease of maintenance, just feeling better. But reaching your goal length can feel just as good, I'm waiting for it!

Carolyn
March 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I've never been happy with hair shorter than around mid back length. As a child I had chin length hair and was never happy with it. I knew I was meant to have long hair even then. I think it was something I was born with. I've cut it to shoulders a couple times as an adult and immediately hated it and was vowing to grow it long again within hours of cutting it. I am pretty sure I could never be happy with short hair. So barring accident or illness I don't intend to do it again.

pennyroyal
March 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM
yea, i have had a few pixie haircuts that i liked quite a bit but ultimately i prefer long hair.

halo_tightens
March 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Definitely! I kept my hair in the same cut for a few years straight not too long ago, just because I loved it! It was incredibly swingy and bouncy, and I thought it was fabulous. :D

The frontmost pieces just touched my chin, and from there it slanted upwards to meet at a point somewhere around the occipital bulge. Below that, it was layered/stacked down to shaved altogether at the nape of my neck. There was so much volume on top, and it had such a smooth transition downward! The girl who fixed me up with it is a genius. :crush:

If I ever had to cut off my hair for whatever reason, I'd go straight back to that! It's not going to happen willingly, though.

I tried to find some pld pics to show what I meant, but all I can find are ones of it really badly grown-out and looking shameful! Dangit...

BrightEyes
March 19th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I've actually had short hair for most of my life. Right now it's only a couple inches past my shoulders and it feels so long!!! LOL

I liked having short hair. I always felt shorter styles looked best on me, but I think it was because I always bought into the idea that fine hair looks best short. I don't really believe that anymore.

I've always envied long hair, and now I'm determined to have BSL (which for me is very long) at least once in my life.

I think one day I may go short again. Who knows.

ravenreed
March 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I was happy with my hair short. I am happy with my hair long now, which is why I keep it. When I am no longer happy with it, I will cut and be happy with it once again, even if I choose to go really short.

I grew my hair to waist by accident. I went through a depression and couldn't be bothered to cut my hair. Then, I met an acquaintance with longer hair and wondered if I could get past waist. My routine was not supporting growth and I was cutting off as much damage as I was growing. So that is what led me to LHC. That doesn't mean I have a lifetime commitment to never having short hair again. I might have long hair until I die. I might not. I will play it by ear.

I will say that I will think a bit harder about cutting my hair, just because I have invested so much time and money in growing it, plus I have all these really awesome hair toys.

dearladydisdain
March 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Cut my hair from classic to waist almost three years ago. It has gotten progressively shorter and is now shoulder length. I am very happy with it and never had any regrets. My long hair was good while it lasted but right now I prefer short hair for a multitude of reasons. It's staying this way for a long time. :)

Sunny_side_up
March 19th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I've never had a pixie, mum cut me and sis bobs a few times when we were younger, summer thing. Then grew them out, i never thought about it back then. As i have matured, a couple weeks or so after my grand cuts i feel that i want to leave it be, the blow fryed choppy bob definately made me think i need to regularly trim as i felt my hair had been harshly heat treated. This time(no heat treatments or razoring) i'm going to allow it to do what it wants she says:eyebrows:

Bethie
March 19th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I have always loved my short cuts, when they are done correctly. I love the volume of some of my cuts and the ease of others. Now I am willing to try and see if I like long hair as much, if I do then great. If not, well at least I can say I gave it a shot.

christine1989
March 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I had hair that was about waist length in highschool then I cut it VERY short (like a pixie cut). I REALLY like it and kept it that way for a while. Eventually I got tired of constant trims and only being able to do one style so I decided to start growing it again.

jaine
March 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I liked the pixie that I had last summer and I'm liking the shag that it grew into ... I feel like short hair brought out a different side of my personality and it was an interesting change :D

Blueneko
March 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I have been happy with having APL hair, all one length. It frames my face nicely and works with my habit of raking my hair back with my fingers.

Bangs and bobs have always been a mistake for me.

*Aoife*
March 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I had short hair (bobs and whatnot) when I was a kid. I also had past BSL at one point, which is the longest it's ever been. I didn't care much about my hair, once it was out of my face.
The best haircut I've ever had was a shortish style that was totally layered. When my hair was straightened it looked amazing and it looked amazing. But then I stopped straightening it, it looked awful. So I'm growing it out and it looks bad because of the huge amount of layers.
So I'd say my best looking style was short, layered and straightened. But I think once it's all past BSL and evened out, it should look great :)

skay
March 19th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Pre-LHC:

Hair length didn't matter to me so I just did whatever.

I was of the mindset it's only hair and it'll grow back. Thus, I enjoyed all my haircuts between pixie and BSL-ish. Longest was about waist in Jr. High I think.

I think I remember even going in with maybe APL hair and saying to the hair stylist: Do whatever cut you think is best :D! I looked at is a fun surprise & adventure.

Now:

Well, I think I want to see if I can reach waist length hair that I really like ...and go from there. I'm picky and I want to be satisfied with the overall quality and length.

Just depends what you want...

Kristin
March 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I had "long" (BSL) hair for most of my life, until I cut it 2 years ago. Back then, I thought BSL was long and was happy that way. Now its getting past BSL and in the past I would have cut it already. Now...BSL feels WAY too short.

beez1717
March 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I've never liked my short hair. I only did it because it was what guys were "supposed" to have. I guess that once I got over that and started growing my hair, i've been so much happier :D

Brat
March 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM
The longer mine gets, the happier I am. It frizzes less, it's less poofy, and easier to get out of the way when I want to. Never been happy with short hair, and will never again even get close to bsl...

Dars
March 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I loved my short hair (jaw length) just as much as my hair now. I was 17-19 at that stage and it was pure fun! :)

invisiblebabe
March 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I used to have classic length hair, all through high school. I liked it then. I cut it because I got tired of trying to keep it long, healthy, thick enough on the ends for my liking, and colored/highlighted.

Now my hair is BSL, still with highlights. I am happy with it. :)

ruffian
March 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM
No. I only had my hair cut short once in my life. When I was about 13 my Mom and her evil hairstylist conspired to chop my hair off. It deeply traumatized my young psyche and to this day I harbor deep resentment toward / have sworn a vendetta against the "stylist" who butchered my hair. :guns: :lol:

Just kidding. I can't speak for anybody else, but I distinctly remember feeling insecure, unhappy and generally "not myself" when my hair was really short. I can't imagine ever cutting it off like that again. My hair just feels like an extension of myself, like part of my personality...it just feels right to have it as long as it will be. I can't explain it better than that.

I have a friend who is just the opposite - she has always had very short hair. She can rock a pixie haircut better than anybody else I know, and she has had lots of varieties of styles, but her hair never got below her chin for as long as I've known her (since we were kids). She has said that she only feels comfortable with her hair short, and that she doesn't feel like herself when it starts to get long. And that's cool - because it really suits her, like my long hair suits me.

I don't begrudge anybody for their choice of hairstyle/length...to each their own. All I know is that short hair is not for me.:)

beez1717
March 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM
*cries*... who would be so evil as to chop off your hair like that???

Qadupae
March 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I used to have long hair up until I was about 18, then had a stressful part of my life and chopped my hair to 2" all around. From that time until January, I was still just cutting it myself whenever I felt I needed to. I actually loved the ease of it quite a bit. Becoming a long hair again is a challenge to see if I can take better care and appreciate my long hair again more than I did then. Its also a challenge for my patience ^_^ If I find I can't handle long hair, I will gladly chop it once more to my usual 2" all around since I know what to do with it. Hopefully I would have grown it long enough to donate then if I do chop it.

HintOfMint
March 20th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I loved my short hair. And I guess I loved the idea of it even more. Back then, I associated short hair with "unconventional" beauty, independence, and being quirky and adorable. This was in high school where all the "popular" (for lack of a better term, even though I hate that word in that context) had "long" hair, that is, below the shoulders. Yes it was a graduated bob, with the back flipped and spiked with the front long and pointy. Yes, I had the emo-kid haircut. Yes, I had the ends razored, I straightened it, flipped it out and loved it. But, I did not like the maintenance, and on a wrong-side-of-the-bed day, there's no way to really work short hair when you don't feel pretty. I never got a pixie cut, which is the only short haircut that can be truly low maintenance.

Long hair ended up being much more flattering on me, and much more low maintenance. It's pretty nice to actually enjoy my natural texture :)

Also, let's be honest. I pined for long hair much more when it was short, than I pine for short hair now that it is long.

Melisande
March 20th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I had a bob a number of times in my life - after graduation, after births and post partum shedding. I got along well with it and looked okay - but I didn't feel as much "at home" with my hair as I do now. I'm a longhair at heart and even when I had my hair cut, I always let it grow out again, I never "kept up" a hairstyle. I like my hair in its natural state. And now that I have this length that I always dreamed of, tailbone!, and loads of lovely hairtoys - I don't think I'll be going back. My long hair is special and I like it. I know most people think that I look better with shorter hair and that the updos make me look older etc but I really don't care ;-)

I like my hair the way it is! More than I ever liked it short.

hmmm
March 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM
I loved my short hair, I've had it all my life and it's what I felt most comfortable in. I liked how I could cut without feeling bad about it, it was quite liberating.
I'm growing my hair out because I want a change, and since my stylist moved away I hate going to salons and dealing with hairdressers who don't understand what I want. If I can help it I'm not going to one again.

smilinjenn71
March 21st, 2010, 10:20 AM
I didn't like having short hair as a child but in my late 20's I cut it all of to a pixie and LOVED IT!!! Like seriously... was in love with my hair!! It's so incredibly freeing to cut it off and really own the attitude that can come with short hair, for women.

I loved everything about it being short.... the compliments, the way it brought out my facial features, being free of hours upon hours of hair care regimens, the fact that I never had a bad hair day, not worrying if the windows were down in the car or if it was a windy day. NONE of that mattered because it was sooooo easy all of the time!

The only reason I am growing it out now is that I needed a change and I didn't really want to go bald:p ... so the only available option was to let it grow. Will I cut it to pixie again? Oh heck yea!!! When our children are grown and momma gets that convertible she's been wanting forever - the hair will go back to pixie. I want to ride with that top down without a care in the world..... the least being my hair!;)

Leena7
March 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM
I have been happy with short hair. The one shorter haircut that always works for me is a lightly layered bob that sits between chin length and shoulder length. However, I have never had hair longer than APL, so we shall see if my long hair wins me over.

renarok
March 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
I have never had a pixie short cut, but I have sported a bob many times. I honestly find it too much work to tame my wild hair. I need length to tame it.

Demetrue
March 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
When my hair is too short, I don't feel that my outward look expresses my inward feelings. I feel feminine, old-fashioned, soft, flowing and romantic on the inside and I feel like "myself" when my hair is at least shoulder length or longer. I'm okay with a long bob or a Lady Di cut, which are my go-to styles when my hair is shorter, but I feel even more comfortable and at home with my appearance when my hair is longer.

GoddesJourney
March 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM
I had a really girly, layered cut for awhile and it was nice. I thought it looked great. The only problem was that it requires being blowdried, brushed out, etc. Lame lame lame. I hate maintenance. I loved the way it looked for the first week but it required frequent trims. I kept it like that for about two years and I couldn't take it anymore. I grew it all out.

My friend has boycut hair because she has 1b/F hair and she can't stand it if it looks limp. She likes to keep it short so she can do all kinds of things to spike it up or fluff it somehow without feeling like she's damaging long hair. You can pretty much do anything you want to short hair without worrying too much about it.

Wind Dragon
March 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah, happily wore a pixie-ish cut for about eight years (didn't actually like going to the salon, so I'd usually cut it a bit too short and then grow it until it started getting in my eyes. :silly: That or a short shag is probably what I'll go back to if I ever get tired of babying the length and wearing it up.

Arctic
March 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Another thread got me wondering.

Around these parts :) people seem to have cut their hair and been very disappointed with the results, vowing never again and reaffirming/deciding on their commitment to long hair. I know many people that are content with shorter hair, but they've never had hair as long as we consider "long" here.

So, have you ever been happy with shorter hair? A haircut, or hair you used to have?

P.S. My parents never cut my hair as a child and I've never cut it, so I am curious as to people views on this! :flower:

Well I am one of those who has never had really long hair, the longest it was was last summer when it was almost upper BSL (then I cut back to APL and little later to shoulder and now am growing again).

That being said, I love short hair, I have had lot of pixies and bobs and all between. Right now, for several years now I have a want to grow longer and this has been interesting journey, but has not converted me to diehard longhair :) At this time I want long hair (to me, not long according LHC standards) but I kind of have a feeling I will cut it pixie-short at some point again ... who knows?

ericthegreat
March 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM
I do actually miss having both shoulder length and just slightly below shoulder length hair sometimes! When I was 15, my hair finally touched my shoulders for the first time and I then had it professionally cut into a sexy, surfer long-layered haircut. I had the Zac Efron haircut even before Zac had it!

I'll never like extremely short, military-style haircuts for myself. I know I would look very handsome with a crew cut or even a totally shaved head, but for me personally, the look would just be too severe. Even if I ever decide to cut my hair shorter(which will probably be never! :)), I will still choose longer, male hairstyles like the one Jon Bon Jovi sports on his head.

whiteisle
March 21st, 2010, 12:44 PM
I honestly love short hair. And I envy those who can wear it well. I am, however, not one of those who can wear my hair too, too short. I've tried a couple of times and it was just awful!! And I have to remind myself of just how awful whenever I get a crazy idea of chopping it off.

That being said, I can pull off an inverted bob really well and I adore that style for my features. And it doesn't help that DH really, really loves it when I have had my hair cut this way. (Bad DH! :p) I probably think about getting it cut again at least once a month but I'm trying to push through this stage of growing without doing so. I think if I can ever make it to BSL I'll be less liking to entertain the idea of short hair.

But yes, I thoroughly enjoyed my hair when it was shorter. I admittedly like a hairdryer, I like washing every day, and I like having a fresh cut. But it's been a while since my hair was long so at least once more I'd like to go there again.

eta: oh, and another reason I liked my hair shorter is because I'm just not an updo kinda girl. I like my hair down but it seems as it's getting longer it's starting to drag me down a bit. *shrugs*

grmn-rpnzl
March 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Out of the 4 types i had a hack job on my hair long to short, the second time it was short, i really enjoyed the length and the style. But after awhile i got tired of curling and hairspraying it almost everyday. I've noticed that when i truely like my short hair it makes it easier for me to forget about the length and it feels like it grows faster. I should appreciate the short length i have now, cause i will have short hair again!

SylphideNoir
March 24th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I went from tailbone to chin length and loved it. I've kept my hair short for a couple of years and am only now growing it back out but I don't think I'm going as long as tailbone again...at least not for a while.

lindenblossom
March 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Ha, ha. When I gave myself the big chop in my bathroom just over a year ago (I went from hip length to just below my shoulders) I *loved* it for the rest of the afternoon.

I had put my hair in a ponytail and cut most of it off to get a layered effect. Because I had bun waves already in my hair that day, the layers were bouncy and gorgeous! I looked like Stevie Nicks from the 1970s.

Then...I washed it the next morning. The bun waves were gone, and my hair was revealed to be a ragged, chopped-up layered mess. The waves had lost their bounce, and I had to wear my hair up all the time because my self-chop looked so bad. : /

Never again, man. It's finally getting better, and I have learned my lesson.

Yozhik
March 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I seem to share the story of a lot of you all: I had longish hair, then cut it progressively shorter, and after I went as short as I felt comfortable with, the only way to change is get longer!

I also like growing because of the challenge of long hair -- short hair can be a challenge to style or constantly cut, but long hair requires patience, protection and care :)