PDA

View Full Version : Any Conditioner Only Washers using Hair Products?

hendrix.co
March 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I've been using c.o. for a few days and I love it! I've also given up the flat iron and the curling iron. Many of the heatless curls need hairspray or mouse in order to stay in my hair as it is really straight. So my question is will the c.o. get all the gunk out of my hair? MUST I shampoo? And is hairspray really that bad for your hair?

I'm am just loving this forum! Thanks all.

chopandchange
March 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I think that is a question only you can answer. It just depends on your own individual hair, what products you're using, and what conditioner you are using. Depending on its ingredients, it may be very "cleansing," or it may not. Just monitor the state of your hair.

Shampoo is not necessarily bad. Lots of people on here use shampoo. Lots of people CO. Some people do neither and just use water. Just experiment, and find out what works for you.

ETA: hairspray is thought to be bad for the hair because it contains so much alcohol. If you could find an alcohol-free version, it might be less damaging, but I suspect it wouldn't hold as well. Another point about hairspray is that it's bad for your hair to attempt to brush or comb the hairspray out. You should always wash it out instead. HTH

curlylocks85
March 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM
From what I understand if you put a small amount of conditioner on your scalp area and massage it in a bit, it helps to lift the dirt and product from your hair, like shampoo does.

I do not use hairspray so I am not help there. However, I would think that after using it your hair would be full of product buildup.

There is a method for clarifying which uses ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) to rinse out all the buildup.

You can find more information at the beginning of the threads where it says VIT (Very Important Threads).

Hope this helps. :)

Copasetic
March 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
As long as those products contain ingredients that rinse out with water, you don't need to use shampoo. I use A TON of hair products and still don't shampoo my hair.

smasters467
March 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM
You can cowash only, however you have to eliminate the use of silicones because they build up and conditioner won't wash them out. I cowash only, however, I'm a curly and sulfates are horrible for curly hair. I had to cut out all use of silicones. I do use a variety of hair products, to tame my curly locks. I occassionally use hairspray, but it's very drying and my hair doesn't like it. If you're worried that cowashing won't be enough for your hair, check out DevaCurl No-Poo, which is a sulfate-free cleansing condtioner that contains coco-betaine, which is a surfactant, or cleanser. There are a variety of options if you want to rid yourself of shampoo. You could also look for shampoo's that are sulfate-free, there are a number of them on the market. HTH

Merewen
March 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM
I use mousse on occasion and it seems to wash out fine with CO. As long as it doesn't have cones and build up it should be fine.

3azza
March 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
When u feel ur hair is dull then its probably having built up and its time to clarify. I presonally can't replace my silicone conditioners (and my silicone leave in) for anything because they work great. So i have been recently COing every other day, but i clarify with shampoo by the end of the week or after 10 days, and its working great so far.

merseaone
March 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM
I do not know if this is true or not but the very first gal I ever talked to about CO said conditioners are actually a very mild shampoo and that is why people who CO wash don't worry about shampooing.

for the most part I CO which surprised me that it worked on my baby fine hair. I use stuff on my hair especially on the top when I curl it - takes a lot of hairstpray to keep it up and would you believe the only hair that looks dry and damaged is the hem?