PDA

View Full Version : does henna stop breakage??

Cleopatra18
March 19th, 2010, 11:36 AM
i just did an oil treatment last night n i was cowashing today and it rly seemed like my hair as breaking (i dont do much protein treatments..i only use leave ins and hask placenta) so im thinking to do henna treamtment instead of doing a protein dc (i'll need to buy one for that) do you think henna will be enough?

Isilme
March 19th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Henna won't stop breakage, nothing except scissors will do that. You want to be very sure you will love to be a redhead for a very, very long time and also make sure you are ready to grow it out if you don't like it. It's rare that people succeed in dyeing over henna.
Henna gives your hair strength, if your hair already has breakage it can help some, but it has no magic abilities like restoring hair;)

ravenreed
March 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
My hair breaks more when I use anything with protein in it, but my hair hates anything protein-y.
How often do you do the hask? Could you have too much protein?

I have henna'd a few times and I have not noticed less breakage.

leentora
March 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I found this link in regards to your question. Hope it helps:

http://chatnbitz.com/About.html

Heidi_234
March 20th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Henna can salvage some of your hair, if it's in bad condition. If you see actual breakage - white dots and split ends - the only remedy is a good pair of hair scissors. Note that even though your hair is dark, henna will cast an orange-red shine over it, and it will be very visible in direct light.

hermosamendoza
March 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM
i've heard that henna helps condition the hair very well to stop future breaks. visit hennaforhair.com and look at the mixes page. It shows several different women's mixes and their hair stories. very interesting.

Igraine
March 21st, 2010, 06:55 AM
First, as others have said, make sure you like the colour! The only way to get rid of it is either scissors or dark dye. That said, it is good if you remove the damaged parts before you henna.

In my experience it turned hair from F to M, and it is much more slippery, not prone to tangling, and the ends don't feel like straw anymore. I'm not sure it would take more effort to break a strand now, but the pulling or friction on the hair is reduced, hence so is the "opportunity" of breaking.

You may note though some updos become more frustrating due to slipperiness, and your hair may get straighter as well.

rach
March 21st, 2010, 08:22 AM
It can help save allot of damaged hair by strengthening it from within, but ends are ends and are still vulnerable. I believe it can slow the rate of breakage, but so can things like catnip for example.

Re-thinking and working out what your hair needs is also worth reassessing which can take some time to work out - oils, cones, no-cones,protein,less protein ........
If your after a quick length restoration of sorts, henna is good to do this but as i said ends are still ends.

Many find the Colour to be a big obstacle and removing it likely can cause far more damage from what people have mentioned on this forum.

Have a look at the Catnip thread as many plus myself (when i remember) can reduce greatly the amount of hair splits ends/dots and it's not permanent.

Articals which will answer many of your questions -
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7

Bellatrix
March 22nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
I'm noticing less breakage with henna.

Oskimosa
March 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
Not that I have noticed at all.

MandaMom2Three
March 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
I never noticed a decrease in splits or breakage after I started using henna, however I HAVE noticed that since using amla and shikakai for washing I've had VERY little breakage. I used to get so discouraged everytime I'd do an S&D, seemed like there'd be a split on every end, even after I started using henna, but since I've started using herb washing, I have to search and search to find ONE!

Cleopatra18
March 22nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
this is not my first time to do henna but im very interested in transforming your hair from F to M.im very much obssesed with thick hair and im ready to henna everyday if it'll transform my hair like this.how many times did you do henna before you noticed this change?

Heidi_234
March 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
this is not my first time to do henna but im very interested in transforming your hair from F to M.im very much obssesed with thick hair and im ready to henna everyday if it'll transform my hair like this.how many times did you do henna before you noticed this change?
I'm afraid it won't really change your hair texture so drastically. I have a mix of fine and medium hair with some coarse ones thrown in. I've been hennaing for years now, full length application every month. My hair color won't change anymore which hints that my hair got full henna saturation. I Still have those fine hairs. They might be less fine with the henna, but they didn't end up downright medium thickness due to all the hennaing.

burns_erin
March 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
I have very fine hair and have noticed with my gently treated non heat treated hair that I have less breakage. But this is not on something that was already breaking, merely over time and length (I have grown and chopped many times) I notice less breakage in the years I henna than when i don't. And it did not noticeably thicken my hair, it is still very fine, maybe not AS fine, but still well within the fine category.