PDA

View Full Version : Protective of your hair

windinherhair
March 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I've never noticed this about myself until now. I figure this is because my hair is longer then it has ever been before, and I am more protective about it.

When I am not wearing my hair up, I usually always wear it down my back. I recently took a long trip, through crowded airports and new surroundings... I had it up most of the time, but when I had it down, I kept all of it to one side in front of me to keep an eye on it. I know I'm not the only one with that fear that someone could just come up and do something. Have you noticed yourself being protective of your hair? I'm not usually like this in my normal surroundings, but my hair is a lot longer then the last time I traveled. My hair lingered at my waist for years, and I never thought too much about it. But now since it has grown to tail bone, and I have changed my routine, the way I think of my hair has changed a lot.

chopandchange
March 19th, 2010, 10:42 AM
When my hair gets really long, my worry will always be that someone will come up behind me and chop it off.

This is not necessarily an irrational fear.

Link removed. TLHC has a policy against forced hair cut stories.

windinherhair
March 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM
When my hair gets really long, my worry will always be that someone will come up behind me and chop it off.

This is not necessarily an irrational fear.

Link removed. TLHC has a policy against forced hair cut stories.

That is scary!! Thanks for sharing the link.

Capybara
March 19th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Those poor women!

I'm protective of my hair around some people/places, but not around others. A few months ago, a fellow student cut off about a 6" chunk of my hair wile we were on a camping trip. Fortunately, it was from underneath in the back, and isn't noticeable. Boy, was I mad though! :mad: Just the thought that someone would do that to ALL of your hair makes my skin crawl...

Sweetness
March 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Those poor women!

I'm protective of my hair around some people/places, but not around others. A few months ago, a fellow student cut off about a 6" chunk of my hair wile we were on a camping trip. Fortunately, it was from underneath in the back, and isn't noticeable. Boy, was I mad though! :mad: Just the thought that someone would do that to ALL of your hair makes my skin crawl...

That is so mean ! why did he do this ?? :confused:

My hair is not really long or special yet, so I'm not protective of others... but I am protective in general. As in not rubbing against the car seat with my hair (and not touching it if possible), being gentle when I comb, etc. I could say that I am "conscious" of my hair, while I wasn't at all before deciding to grow it long and take care of it.

myotislucifugus
March 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Those poor women!

Whoa! What? Oooo.... I'd be mad...:mad:

gmdiaz
March 19th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I am not worried about anyone doing anything to my hair. I am worried about what I do to myself!

I am really careful when getting into and out of the car. . .ur, now.

And I am super careful to move my hair out of the way when I carry anything to not get it caught underneath. . .my purse, for example.

Have to be mindful to not let my hair dip down or get flicked into anything too. . .like the stove, cat box etc. lol

I've started wearing my silk sleep cap on when I watch TV. My hair keeps getting caught in the pillows of our leather sofa.

I really just need to keep my hair put up. lol

Quahatundightu
March 19th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I'm more worried about the ashes from someone's cigarette blowing into my hair and setting it alight! At a concert I have almost had this happen to me (but it missed my hair and burnt a small hole in my top!) Scary o.O;;

marzipanthecat
March 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm so pleased other people have this phobia (well, I think our hair is perfectly safe most of the time!) of some random person coming up and snipping all our hair off! It's not something I think about much, but sometimes - such as when I've been waiting AGES at a bus stop! - my mind wanders off and starts thinking about awful phobia things like this.

Mind you, I also wonder about stuff like "Why doesn't electricity just leak out of wall sockets?" (But my husband sighed and explained that one to me!)

MonikaHa
March 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I am not worried about anyone cutting my hair, but I hate it when people touch it.
Sometimes when I am at work at my desk, and co-workers would come up and touch my ponytail, etc. Makes me feel very uneasy.

ArienEllariel
March 19th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'm protective of it, whereas before I didn't much care one way or another.

Now I have to be very careful, for instance, if I'm goofing around with my best friend and I start a ticklefest because she will automatically try to mess my hair up on purpose to get me to stop. It's not as if I keep tickling forever or something but she tries to make my hair a rat's nest, which I'm none too pleased about. Tickling doesn't damage things, making my hair full of knots does (especially considering it's already fine knot-prone hair). Keep in mind that of the two of us, she's the stronger one so it's not as if she can't fend me off. She really doesn't see a problem with practically giving me dreadlocks either though I've expressed my concern about my hair before.. I don't get it, she knows I value my hair and am trying to grow it out and get it to looking its best, yet she ignores me on this point. :rant: Sorry... had to have my little rant.:o

Alcenaia
March 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I am a lot more conscious of my hair since coming here. I'm glad I'm not the only one that occasionally thinks, "What if someone just cut off my hair?" I rarely wear my hair in a ponytail/hanging braid anymore, but I still think about it. I think the thing that scares me most about this is that I would be forty years old before I had the hair that I have now back. Also, that cutting might prevent me from ever reaching floor in my lifetime, since my hair grows extremely slowly. Sometimes I dream about getting a horrible haircut, although I've never been inclined to cut my hair consciously. I feel for the girls who have their hair stolen. That's an awful crime.

A boy in my physics class once teased with a pair of scissors like he was going to cut off my hair. I think I said something to the effect that I'd cut off something of his that hung down, and then he was less inclined to keep being an idiot. >_<

Carolyn
March 19th, 2010, 03:34 PM
If I'm wearing my hair down or in a single braid, I often bring it forward over my shoulder when I am in a crowd. I also don't let it hang over the back of my seat in a movie theater.

nellreno
March 19th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I do have a fear that someone will think it's funny to play a prank on me and cut off all my hair. Or even just a piece of it. That's a part of me you're cutting off!!!

I also get uneasy when people touch my hair, I think that their hands are dirty and that they'll knot my hair. I'm only comfortable with a few people touching my hair, because I know they won't do anything to it.

JamieLeigh
March 19th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Oh gosh...I'm completely with you. I would rather wear it up and protected than face the pitfalls of being out in public with it down. One example : Now that it falls past my chair when I sit, I'd be afraid that the chair could catch it, or someone's gum would get in it, etc. :(