PDA

View Full Version : Best way to tuck ends and secure Celtic Bun/KarenLynn Knot?

Heidi_234
March 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I adore the look of this bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=29), but I have two little issues:

1) My hair is just slightly longer than KarenLynn's in that article, and they stick out of the bun if I leave them to be, and I can seem to be able to wrap them or tuck them, partly because of the second issue.

2) I prefer to wear it with a hair stick or fork, but I didn't work out how to secure it well and prevent it from pulling on scalp hair. Any tricks or tips?

:flower:

gmdiaz
March 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I wrap my hairs around the bun, pulling the ends of my hair around a little tighter towards the end. I tuck in the last little bit down as deeply as I can and then place the fork.

The fork holds securely enough. . .but I kind of weave it through. I find that the angle of the fork is what makes the bun hold comfortably or pull funny.

I usually go for a 1:00 postion into the bun.

BrightEyes7
March 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I just wrap them and tuck them under the bun... normally they stay. I just use one stick. But sometimes I have to bobby pin them and I just hide that under the bun.

I put the stick through the second loop kinda go through the hair at the base of the ponytail I began with and then finish by going through the other side. I hope that made sense to you...

ETA: This is my favorite bun. My everyday style... I'm wearing it right now! I can wear it all day without having to re-do it or having it pull. I think it balances the weight of my hair too as I don't get a headache by the end of the day

Finoriel
March 19th, 2010, 12:29 PM
1) I just wrap the remaining hair around the base of the bun a few times. Which I realize is probably not much help for you :wink:
Have you tried tucking the stubborn ends under the bun and additionally securing the coil in that area with a U-pin or two? That way the ends are trapped between bun and scalp hair and have a harder time to houdini their way our. And you can still use a fork/stick as a main tool for holding the updo.

2) I always secure it with a stick or fork and what keeps it from pulling is to make the knot itself loose enough so I can insert the stick/fork through the loop, stick it through under the base of the bun as close to the scalp as possible, grabbing as much scalp hair as possible and let it exit at the coil on the opposite side with just grabbing a few hairs of that coil. Inserting the hairtoy preferably vertical or at a maximum of 1 / 11 o´clock. No heavy toppers or huge forks, the smaller the better.

Heidi_234
March 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that! It does sits much better with the fork/stick inserted almost vertically. And it makes sense, since it's the upper that needs to be secured, the other two are holding on their own pretty well. I tried to insert it too horizontally I suppose, and it pulled on my scalp hair. :doh:

Finoriel, thanks for the pin idea for the ends. I like to keep updos as simple as possible, but I suppose I'll have to grow more hair before I'll able to tuck the ends. :p

I really love how this bun looks. It's on the looser side, so it always turns out bigger than the regular tightly coiled cinnamon bun and such. I think it's my new favorite!