PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent natural sun bleach?

Dreams_in_Pink
March 19th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I have like 11 inches of virgin roots showing, and am aiming for tailbone length. I've been to waist before so i know that i will have some color difference between ends and roots.

Since the virgin roots are still in their original darkness, i'd love to prevent them from getting bleached by sun. Is there any way i can do it? I'd love to have the same dark brown all the way from root to tip :D

TIA!

ETA: i won't use indigo or any other herbal coating. I want to keep my color.

Konstifik
March 19th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Move to northern countries. Very effective :P
Otherwise, wear hats! Or scarves. You could always try to mix a dye with buxus/herbs or something that matches your shade? Pretty hard, but it's also hard to protect it - comfortably - from the sun.

Capybara
March 19th, 2010, 05:53 AM
You can buy hair products that contain SPF, although I'm not sure how much you'd want to put hairspray gunk in your hair :o

While sailing, we sometimes put diluted sunscreen in our hair. It didn't build up or damage my hair, but helped to control "blonde roots" and kept my part from burning.

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions, HTH! :flower:

Dreams_in_Pink
March 19th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Move to northern countries. Very effective :P
Otherwise, wear hats! Or scarves. You could always try to mix a dye with buxus/herbs or something that matches your shade? Pretty hard, but it's also hard to protect it - comfortably - from the sun.

I'd love to move, if i could...for various reasons :D
i'm not too cool about covering my hair with scarves actually :/ at least not out in summer heat, where the slightest bit of clothing makes me sweaty.

You can buy hair products that contain SPF, although I'm not sure how much you'd want to put hairspray gunk in your hair :o

While sailing, we sometimes put diluted sunscreen in our hair. It didn't build up or damage my hair, but helped to control "blonde roots" and kept my part from burning.

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions, HTH! :flower:

hmm, i've been considering making a leave-in spray by diluting the SPF50 sunblock that i have. I'll try and see if it makes my hair any gunky.

prettydark
March 19th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I hear that Sea Buckthorn Oil has natural protective qualities, but those would be salesman's claims and I haven't seen any scientific background for such claims.

aef231
March 19th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Like capybara said, there are hair products specifically formulated to protect from sun-damage and bleaching. Most are formulated for colored hair, so that's something to look for. Even though your hair is natural, products for colored hair are usually extra protective. Scarves and hats are a fun way as well... I just ordered a hand-dyed silk scarf to protect my hair this summer off of etsy... It should be here any time, I'm so excited! Anyway, good luck and congrats on keeping your virgin color :)

Wildcat Diva
August 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM
Can I bump this old thread? I am bummed about sun bleached ends and want to talk about ways to deal with sun bleaching- prevention and afterwards.

Venefica
August 21st, 2012, 07:12 PM
I stay out of the sun for the most part, I have never liked direct sunlight on my body and actually get sun rashes so while I will go for a walk now and again I generally stay in the shade or indoors, that is one way to prevent the sun from bleaching your hair. :P

rtree721
August 21st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Wildcat I am in the same boat. I have sunbleaching too where the top layer of my hair and my ends are all a lot lighter. I would actually like my hair to be my natural dark blonde color instead.

Wildcat Diva
August 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM
Wildcat I am in the same boat. I have sunbleaching too where the top layer of my hair and my ends are all a lot lighter. I would actually like my hair to be my natural dark blonde color instead.

I know. It stinks. I can tell just by looking at lots of folks' pictures on here that I am not the only one. It is mostly subtle, is not THAT BAD, but it just bugs me. I am looking for ways to stain the ends a bit, not actual dye, but maybe an herbal rinse that might give a darker effect. I was actually thinking of mixing powered walnut hulls from Amazon, with some of Nightbloomings dark hair tea rinse to get me just a stain darker on my ends.

And mostly, I do stay out of the sun. I guess it's just from those few times I go out for a hike, or something. Or like today I took a walk with some clients (I'm a kids' counselor) down a nature boardwalk for a few minutes. I was in the sun then....

I may have to become like my odd neighbor, who carries a big open umbrella with him every single minute of every day he is walking outside. He is trying to prevent skin cancer, which is not what makes him odd (believe me, there's plenty more;)...nice guy though).

rtree721
August 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
I wasn't sure if the sunbleaching was my fault in anyway, like if I was using a product that attracted the sun's rays or something, even though that sounds really silly.

Bianca
August 22nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
I really dont know. I run out when the sun shines to get my hair as ombre as possible. Dont like the same color from root to tip, too boring and unnatural IMO. Would find it very annoying also to let my hair control my life too much like that, so that I would have to cover it up just to avoid a natural process.

But hats, scarves, stay inside :rolleyes:

coneyisland
August 22nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
I strongly recommend scarves or hats over scarves. As Madora points out, for sun protection (of the hair and scalp) it is best to wear white or light colored scarves. The lighter colors tend to reflect the heat, light, and damaging rays, while the darker colors tend to absorb them. Choose soft woven (not knit) fabrics such as silk, rayon, and cotton, to be in contact with your hair under any other headcoverings.

The right hats and scarves can keep sunshine from your hair. Any hairstick buns, even if they require hairsticks for assembly in the first place, can be secured with hairpins instead so scarves and/or hats can be worn over them.

Tying on snug at the nape any cotton or fairly loosely woven rayon scarf first, its front edge a little lower (or more forward) than the silk (or silky or other slick type weave) scarf is to be positioned over it, then folding its front edge back over the front edge of the (next added) upper (silk or silky) scarf, adds a complementary band of color or decoration in front, and it keeps the slicker weave scarf in place for much longer than it would stay in place otherwise.

Another solution I have found is wearing a headband of either of a couple of styles of Goody brand headbands, stretchy ones having no metal parts, specifically made to be resistant to slipping. Either side of the material of such a headband is as resistant to slipping as the other. Using one of these under a single silk scarf keeps my scarf in place for much longer than my scarf positioning would last without it.

Hi Kitty PTY. This type hat is perfect for year-round use in your locale, and it would keep your hands free. It can easily be fitted with other ties (I use long washable shoestrings with mine), and it will accommodate any braids or buns.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Vietnamese-Asian-Oriental-Straw-Palm-Bamboo-Leaf-HATS-/350304995386 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Vietnamese-Asian-Oriental-Straw-Palm-Bamboo-Leaf-HATS-/350304995386)

Meow78
August 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
Most hair products for dyed hair have SPF to protect the color. I use Nixon scalp therapy for colored hair although I don't dye just because I like it better then the other, it has Sun protection.

Wildcat Diva
August 22nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
I really dont know. I run out when the sun shines to get my hair as ombre as possible. Dont like the same color from root to tip, too boring and unnatural IMO. Would find it very annoying also to let my hair control my life too much like that, so that I would have to cover it up just to avoid a natural process.

But hats, scarves, stay inside :rolleyes:

Embracing it. Actually liking it. I should maybe give this option a consideration to help me be less depressed about how my hair looks. Cause my ends are getting pretty blondy-blonde. And my roots are pretty darky dark.