PDA

View Full Version : Wow - emergency action actually worked on my hair and made it nice!

StephanieB
March 18th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Longer story shorter (see my blog) - no safe water with which to wash hair or anything else. My hair needed to get washed, it was disgustingly oily.

I was 'stuck' - what to do about my horribly oily hair?

I tried the BBB. It helped distribute the oil some, but it wasn't good enough.

I tried using a little talc at my roots. Also not good enough.

Pondering this situation... playing around with the bottle of ACV... while flipping the bottle in the air from hand to hand, practicing tossing and catching... it hit me.
WHY NOT TRY USING THE ACV ALONE - WITHOUT SHAMPOO - AND NOT RINSING IT OUT???

I pondered the possible ramifications, decided it couldn't really do any damage, and - just to be sure - I diluted the ACV with bottled water 3:1. (3 parts vinegar, 1 part water)

Then, I combed my hair all forward over my face, bent over the sink, and carefully poured the ACV/H20 - a little bit at a time - into my scalp... drawing my fingers (one way only, to avoid tangling at my roots) and then through my hair toards the ends.. and I kept pouring small amounts of the ACV/H20, over my scalp ad down over my length all the way to it's roots.

I blotted my hair dry with it's usual DivaDarling towel. I waited for it to air dry.

When it was mostly dry, I thought I could detect whiffs - here and there - of vinegar. I thought about it, and examined my hair. The rotts were nearly oil-free and nice... my length was good, and my tips were no drier than they usually are... my hair tips scream for cones normally anyhow. Okay... So...

Remembering at the last second before it was 'too late', with the rose water bottle tilted, that I had a appointment with my surgeon today (post-surgery appointment, and he really dislikes the scet of rose - again, see in my blog)... I stopped, and put the rose water down. I took the orange blossom water, and poured a little into my palm, and wiped it into my hair - a little at a time, from mid-length downwards. (as I normally do to scent my hair) After a few minutes, I put the tiniest bit of coney shine stuff ito my palms, and wiped that into the ends of my hair, also as usual.

A couple of hours later, my hair looked good and smelled great! WHEEE

This morning, my hair behaved perfectly... and it twisted right into the topknot I wanted... and I ran the tiniest amount of warmed-to-liquid coconut oil to tame the flyaways. And away I went!

Do you all know that it not oly does NOT feel or look too oily tonight..... but it also stayed put into it's bun ALL DAY LONG?! It NEVER does that! NEVER!! :cheese:

Has anybody else ever done what I did, in a pinch?
And if so, how were your results? Have you kept it up? Or gone back to your usual routine, once you could?

I wonder how to translate this (if it continues to be successful?) into a regular daily routine?

I could use saving the money on shampoo and conditioner, if I used significantly less... and maybe my hair will be happier??

Any ideas, anyone??

TinaDenali
March 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Oooh, this is such a great idea!
I am a massage therapist and by the end of the day my hair is so oily (no matter how hard I try to keep my hands out of it!!) but I hate to shampoo it everyday. I do use talc (baby powder) on my roots to extend it a day or two here and there.
I'll have to remember this tip :)

StephanieB
March 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Oooh, this is such a great idea!

I'll have to remember this tip :)

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. :D

If I hadn't been absent-mindedly playing with the vinegar bottle... it might never have occurred to me!

Too bad I see a million typos in my original post. :o :(
Ah, you'll all get the gist of it...

Star Eagle
March 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM
StephanieB,

Thanks for the heads up..I did a hot oil treatment this morning and could not get all the oil out.. So I just braided it and figured my hair would drink it up... I normally have very dry hair....

I will probably go to bed with it oily .. and then tomorrow I will do the AVC 3:1 mixture...
Thanks for figuring it out you little scientist you...

Star

StephanieB
March 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for figuring it out you little scientist you...

he he he

It's called "desperation", Star! lol

I hope it works for you tomrrow morning also!

Note: I suppose this might only work for people whose hair is clarified by vinegar... but maybe not. I dunno.

Ash
March 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Glad it worked for you. :) I used to use straight ACV on my hair to remove buildup years ago back when I used cones and chemical products. It was great and it also cleaned my scalp. I never thought to leave it in though, it probably would have worked even better.

ali beast
March 20th, 2010, 12:06 AM
hm, this sounds like a fun experiment... i'll have to keep it in mind! thanks for being so detailed about your process and results... :)

Rhiannon7
March 20th, 2010, 04:03 AM
This experiment sounds great! will try it next time i don't have time or desire to wash my hair but need a little pick me up. I used to rinse after condish with ACV and always let it in, but after a while it started to feel dry and also a bit gluey (sp)? when wet. so i stopped using ACV and just used poo and condish. but your 911 action seems a good thing to do once in a while when i don't have much poo and need a bit of a refreshed look. thanks for the info.

Bethie
March 20th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Very cool. Note to self, next time we go camping, bring the ACV and a water bottle.

*Aoife*
March 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
This sounds great. I think I'd like to try it to take a break from CO

sugarpixie10988
March 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
I tried this yesterday and it worked great for me! I sometimes have to wash my hair every other day, but I TRY doing it at least every three days. This will definitely help :). I used one part ACV and two parts water since my hair wasn't that greasy. It still worked fine and it made my hair nice and shiny. The only problem I had was I don't have anything to help hide the vinegar smell. This would be especially wonderful on my annoyingly greasy bangs which I have to wash every day. Yay! Thanks for sharing this :D.