PDA

View Full Version : Question for ladies over 50.....

merseaone
March 18th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Why do you want long hair? And how do you wear it? Do you like to wear it in an old fashioned style like say ultra feminine or just straight? Do you wear bangs (fringe), straight, curly.....

I think I am in an age crisis... I am 53, plump, and have baby fine hair and the hem just will not stay healthy, it splits and gets dry looking. I have been washing my hair for the most part with just conditioner.

Babyfine
March 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I am also 53 and I wear my hair to BSL. I'd like to get waist but I'm always trimming due to thin ends. I get my hair salon trimmed every 3-4 months, I'd like to start doing it myself though, so I can maybe gain more length.
I don't have bangs/fringe though I'd like to-but at longer lengths I feel I need the extra thickness in the "body" of my hair.
I do wear my hair up a lot in a french twist/bun to protect the ends and prevent tangling but I do feel I look better with it down. However I'm experimenting with trying to make my updo's look nicer.
I'm just not ready now for short hair-don't know if I'll ever be. I don't feel it really suits me-even though I'm sure my hair would look fuller.
As far as why I want it- I don't know- I guess I've always loved long hair but have always been told I can't have it due to my hair type.I really think I look prettier with long hair-thin as it is-and also I can do more with it. With short hair I have cowlicks and it falls flat 8 hours after styling and spraying- at least long I can put it up or pull it back, if I'm having a bad hair day.

Tovah
March 18th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm 61 and have shoulder length hair...so far.
I started growing it out this summer after major damage.
I'm growing it long because when I look back at photos, I always looked best with long hair.
I usually wear it up in some sort of informal twist mostly because I think I look best that way. My hair is quite fine and curly. I plan on growing it to waist length so I can have a long braid.

I just got back from having my hair colored with a demi-permanent color - hairdresser just used a diffuser to keep it curly and of course, loose. DH won't stop commenting on how much he loves it.

I cut wispy bangs myself last month, but now I'm growing them out. Typical behavior for me. I figure that with long hair, I can always put it up and will never again have a bad hair day.....I hope.......

Islandgrrl
March 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I'm not over 50, but as close as you can get...hope that counts.

I have long hair (and want it longer), because it just suits who I am. I'm comfortable with it.

I wear it up every day (1000 day hair up challenge...the end is in sight this August) right now. It's more practical to contain it during the day at work. And usually it's up in some kind of simple bun because I'm very challenged by complex updos. I have no fringe.

I think the societal trend against "older" (give me a break) women being too old for long hair is just plain BS. Personally, I say buck the trend. I don't need haircuts. I don't need chemicals. I don't need anyone else telling me what is and is not acceptable in terms of how I present myself to the world. Okay, I'm done being all militant now. :silly:

In all seriousness, if you want long hair, grow long hair. No one's choice but your own!

Carolyn
March 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm well over 50 and have waist length hair with no bangs or layers. I have it long because I like it long. I don't see any reason for me to have short hair. I most often do a single English braid or some kind of a bun with a cool hair toy. I wear it down now and then. Frankly I think I'm old enough to pick my hair style. I don't feel like I need to buy into the beauty industry bull$hit about older women and short hair. I'm old enough not to care what people think and to do what makes me happy. And having long hair makes me happy.

BonnyJ
March 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Over 50 here with 54" long hair (at last measurement) and I love it. It makes me feel very feminine and I enjoy doing different styles or just wearing it down. DH likes it too :o.

Prism
March 18th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I'm not over 50, but I just had to say I'm so impressed by you ladies doing what you want. As I age (and I'm not that far from 50), that's one of my goals -- to keep caring less about what others think of me and become increasingly authentic. Your hair in your photos is beautiful, but your attitudes are even more beautiful.

Pagancat
March 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I'm 48 soon to be 49 so I hope it's okay if I join in. I'm growing my hair because I want to be one of those "older women" with wild, streaky gray, curly hair! I've always been kind of a hippyish, dangly earring, different clothes kind of woman, but in the last year I decided to give up coloring my hair and just let it grow because I think it suits me. My hair used to be more "free" but I just got used to having it shorter and "more orderly" when I was working in the corporate world, which I don't do anymore. DH kept bugging me to stop dying and cutting my hair, so I guess he gets a lot of the credit. I stopped coloring it and discovered that it's really pretty wild and wavy/curly and I love it. I don't remember it being quite so curly. Maybe it's the white hair coming in? Premenopausal hormones or something? I don't know but I'm pretty pleased with it. Makes me think that it's good to work with what nature has given you sometimes instead of wishing for something else.

prittykitty
March 18th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I am not all that far away from 50 and I hope that by that time my hair will be much longer than it is now. I like my hair long because I feel more feminine and beautiful. I have noticed a pattern amongst many women that as they get older they decide to cut their hair short. Many have said that it is because their hair does not feel the same as when they were younger and others have said that it makes them look younger to have shorter hair. The shorter my hair is the older I look. I don't want to be short haired at age 50.

cindy58
March 18th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I'll be 52 in a couple of weeks. I think my TB length hair is my best feature. I doubt that I want it much longer than it is, but I haven't been trimming it either. It's often up in a hair stick bun, but I also wear it down or in a half up with a pretty barrette if I feel like it. I don't feel a lot of pressure to conform to other people's idea of style, relaxing about that is one of the best things about, shall we say, maturing.

My hair care routine is very simple. Sometimes when people post about being overwhelmed about doing this or that to their hair, I feel like saying to just try some diluted shampoo and conditioner, nothing else, and see what happens.

I had a massage the other night done by a new massage therapist. When I moved to my back on the table, she asked if she could remove the hair stick in my bun. I said yes, and she did, saying, "oh, oh!" The length of it surprised her, she said it uncoiled and loosened until it just brushed the floor. That was neat.

CrisDee
March 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I'm 51, and growing out a pixie I chopped last year. Always had at least shoulder length hair, usually APL to BSL, was BSL when I chopped. Like so many others on this board, I chopped during a tough time in my life. I'm growing it all to waist at this point - had bangs (fringe) since the 70's, but I'm growing that out too. During the pixie period, I quit chemical dyes and switched to henna/cassia - my hair has never looked so good! I do tend to look a good bit younger than my years - one awesome member of this forum mistook me for 31 :flower: - but I certainly can't look this young forever. Maybe some day I'll let the grays grow in, but not soon, I'm enjoying the color and shine I get with the henna too much to give it up :D I suppose pretty soon I'm not going to "match" myself - my late middle aged face won't go with hair that belongs on a 25 year old, kind of like wearing a peasant blouse with a conservative grey suit, nothing wrong with either, they just don't really go together. But for now - long, pretty hair just makes me happy :)

AmericanWoman
March 18th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I'm 53 and I've pretty much worn my hair at least APL most of my life. I decided 4 years ago to grow it to waist, then tailbone. My hair is in pretty good shape, though because it was never died blowfried, ect.

vindo
March 18th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm not over 50, but as far as your hem goes - have you ever tried maintaining + S&D?
I had lots of damage and thinning due to my illness and that method always helps me..before & after pics included :)

Even hemline without losing length (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html)

kdaniels8811
March 19th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I am 53 and had waist length hair before cancer and chemo took it in December so I am starting again from bald but at least I have beat the cancer. My goal will be to hip, which is where I originally wanted to be.

As far as fine with split ends, check out the catnip soak thread. That made all the difference in getting my hair so long, the soaks prevent split ends. That is all the conditioning I used for the last six months and my hair grew like crazy since it was not breaking off. Good luck! There is no age where you are "too old" for long hair.

Pixna
March 19th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I'm 56 (:blueeek: I still can't believe I'm that old!). I got pixied in 2007 (after having waist-length hair). Hated it, hated it, hated it! I'm on my way back to long now...thank heavens!!

Now that I can get my hair in a decent updo, I wear it up almost all the time. I love having beautiful and interesting hair sticks and forks, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about them. I like being different in that way. I don't know anyone else -- my age or younger or older -- around here who wears her hair the way I do (though I do know plenty of others on LHC, of course!). I enjoy knowing that I don't conform.

I don't have any fringe. Wearing my hair up shows off my silvers (aka "tinsel"). It also shows off my lines, wrinkles, sags, and bags. Frankly, I don't give a hoot. I want my hair to be at least TB by the time I'm 60. I think it will look really cool. :cool:

Silver Strands
March 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I'm 50 and I have always loved long hair from the time I was a little girl.
Most of my adult life has been with long hair and i've never cared what anyone thought.
It's one of the few pleasures I allow myself and no one can take away from me.

The only times I have cut my hair is when I made a poor decision such as a perm or this last one, using henna which I could not get rid of any other way.

I hate how older women chop their hair off in a manly haircut.
I have noticed older couples walking in a park or sitting on a bench.
If i'm driving by I can't pick out who is the man and who's the woman that quickly.
I have to really study them from behind to see who is the female.
That really bothers me.
It's bad enough we start to widen and lose shape as we get older.
Throwing a man haircut on top of that is a sad and pitiful sight.

Women have worn their hair long for centuries and I intend to be one of them.

P.S. Plus, we get to wear works of art in our hair that you can't with a pixie.

Pixna
March 19th, 2010, 07:45 AM
It's bad enough we start to widen and lose shape as we get older. Throwing a man haircut on top of that is a sad and pitiful sight.

Women have worn their hair long for centuries and I intend to be one of them.

P.S. Plus, we get to wear works of art in our hair that you can't with a pixie.

Oh gawsh -- I can relate to all of that, especially the "widen and lose shape" part!!! :o

Babyfine
March 19th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I'm not over 50, but as far as your hem goes - have you ever tried maintaining + S&D?
I had lots of damage and thinning due to my illness and that method always helps me..before & after pics included :)

Even hemline without losing length (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html)

Yes I've been looking into your good article- I'll probably try that!

merseaone
March 19th, 2010, 08:47 AM
[quote=Emichiee;1018010]I'm not over 50, but as far as your hem goes - have you ever tried maintaining + S&D?

Wow, you do have it down to a science! Cool! I was wondering what S&D is? I have baby fine hair and find it is very hard to wear an updo without using a ton of hairspray and then it looks weird. I also can't wear hair toys cuz they slide right out. I do have my bangs layered so if I want to poof it up I can,,,, unfortunately this time I trimmed it I trimmed too far back and ticked myself off cuz I was growing it out from the last time I had over trimmed.

The poof (curled hair on top) makes me feel old fashioned and feminine (and it shows my silver hair up there big time) but man it gets tiresome to have to constantly curl it, though I can go a day or two without washing it whereas if I just wear straight bangs I have to wear my hair everyday. Summer time is rough because we go camping or go walking or running and I end up wearing a hat which flattens my poof. I feel like I am in a never ending cycle- I decide to grow out most of my bangs,, go for months and then suddenly I have to have the poof, cut it, and then "remember."

Someone was talking about a catnip something or other... what is that?

kdaniels8811
March 19th, 2010, 09:45 AM
There is a HUGE thread about catnip - yes, the kind you get at Petsmart for $1.29 a bag. Boil some water and put a teaspoon in to make a tea. Let it cool to room temperature and pour it all over your head, especially the length (after you strain the leaves out). Put the length of yur hair in a plastic baggie and let it sit in the catnip liquid for a half hour or so and rinse. Do not wash out or use conditioner. I did this two or three times a week and it made my hair quit breaking off and it grew quite long. Also, Nightshade has an article on how to make a small "pouf" with a bobby pin which will not get flattened under hats. I do not know how to link articles or I would. Use the search key. Good luck!

LoveMyLongHair
March 19th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I'm 43 and growing my hair out as long as I can. After years of my mother (love her, but grrr on the hair issue) browbeating me to always cut it into a 'cute style' because I had fairy tale ends (thin and scraggly and ugly, per her)

I finally said 'enough' and I am growing to suit me! At 50, I hope my hair will be at my knees.............it is currently 4 inches from waist, now.

Grow, grow, groooooooow, hair!!

Rhea
March 19th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I´m now 61 and I grow my hair long and longer and longer ... why not ! :cheese:

DMARTINEZ
March 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Just turned 51,,,wow how did I get so old so fast.LOL. Anyhoo, Im growing! I did chop,back in Oct but not terribly short,but too much for me. Now Im back on the growing path again. i miss my buns with hair forks....:( I can do twists,but not like the buns I could do. I have noticed with each passing yr.I am getting to the point where I just dont care what others do or think. Yay....!! :)

Deb

vindo
March 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Wow, you do have it down to a science! Cool! I was wondering what S&D is? I have baby fine hair and find it is very hard to wear an updo without using a ton of hairspray and then it looks weird. I also can't wear hair toys cuz they slide right out. I do have my bangs layered so if I want to poof it up I can,,,, unfortunately this time I trimmed it I trimmed too far back and ticked myself off cuz I was growing it out from the last time I had over trimmed.

Someone was talking about a catnip something or other... what is that?

S&D is cutting off split ends, I usually sit at a window (not too bright) and search for splits then cut a half inch above the split. If I find breakage I cut above the breakage too. I tend to do each single hair but there is also a method where you twist the hair strands and basically cut all the hair that fans out...it will cut splits as well as not split hair but that way they all have a nice healthy end.
When I search for single split hair it helps to bend and twist each strand to find them.
After all this S&D the past weeks my hair falls much better, no tangles. I do it about 4 times a week, about 1 hr each at the moment.

You may want to try laying off the hairspray, it causes damage as well and can therefore contribute to breakage.
I have very slippery hair but the updos I have learned here really help me a great deal.
Things like shea butter or Aloe Vera Gel (no alcohol) can also give you a better grip. My hair is also less slippery on day 3-7 after a wash.
Many people use neutral henna (cassia) to get more grip also.
You see there is many healthy methods...and when it comes to growing the way you treat your hair is most important.

Catnip is a herb that is commonly used as a rinse for split ends. It can leave a golden tint as far as I know.

Hairtada
March 20th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I am quite few years past 50. I have not had hair shorter than just past shoulder since the early 70's. Long hair is a big part who I am.About a year and a half ago I decided to just let it grow to see how long it would get. That is when I found LHC. Hair was not quite APL then.Now my hair is waist if I pull the curls down but I won't call it real waist till it is there without the pulling.I did cut about 4" off during the year....bad ends..:( .. if I had not cut any I would be past actual waist now.
My hair is not gorgeous by anyones standards..frizzy,curly, crazy hair!! But it is mine and I love it!! I do think I will cut it back to between BSL and waist once I've seen how long it will get or till it drives me batty catching on things.It will never be really short again unless there is no choice [as in cancer or something]
Mostly I wear it down because that is how I like it best.I could care less what anyone else thinks about it. My hair is something I do for me.:) Age is not a factor to me.

Carolyn
March 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I could care less what anyone else thinks about it. My hair is something I do for me.:) Age is not a factor to me.Yes, yes and yes! :rockerdud

Fiferstone
March 20th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I'm 48, I've had long (waist length) hair for 21 years. Before that, it was boy cuts, the Dorothy Hamill wedge, and finally a shoulder length blunt bob. I'm never going back to short hair. My hair is definitely something I do for me, it's my one real vanity. :).

going gray
March 20th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I'm 63 looks like the oldest here, yikes! Finally figured it out, it took me awhile. I'd let it grow to about 23" then chop it off thinking, "oh hell what am I doing, I look like an old hag with this hair & more important I'm too old for it" And tired of so called, "people in the know" telling me what suits me better.

No I'm certainly not too, those short uniform helmet head styles just aren't me.

So, I'm back to my goal of BSL inorder to have enough hair to wear those fabulous updos.

Great thread.........

Pixna
March 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I'm 63 looks like the oldest here, yikes!

No I'm certainly not too, those short uniform helmet head styles just aren't me.

You very well might be the oldest here. If so, you're an inspiration!!! :flowers:

Those "uniform helmet head styles" aren't for me either. Great description! :gabigrin:

jeanfejes
March 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM
All I ever wanted was a long fat braid, and now that I'm 50, I'm going to have a long braid, whether it's fat or not.

I'm almost waist length. Fine. Still mostly dark, a-growin out the bangs.

my2cats1
March 25th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Since we're on the subject, let me ask -- did any of you find the overall thickness of your hair changing around the age of 50? Any changes in density or texture? I know that such changes can happen as women enter their 50s, but I'm curious about how common that is, and how dramatic the hair changes are.

Of course, thinner hair might be a blessing when dealing with hot flashes! :p

harpgal
March 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I am old gal (over 60). At least I'm old enough to know my own preferences. I have been a longhair (not just a person with long hair) all my life except for a short cut in my early 20s. My hair suits me and in turn I take good care of it. Age is not a factor when it comes to length. What makes your heart sing is the biggest factor.

I am at knee length and am enjoying it. That's what counts. :)

Babyfine
March 25th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Since we're on the subject, let me ask -- did any of you find the overall thickness of your hair changing around the age of 50? Any changes in density or texture? I know that such changes can happen as women enter their 50s, but I'm curious about how common that is, and how dramatic the hair changes are.

I've had fairly thin hair since at least around age 25. It's always been babyfine.
Thankfully I have not noticed a lot of additional thinning yet, although for some reason it does seem to be limper than it was a year ago. Could be the products I'm using though-Need to switch to more volumizing products.

FrannyG
March 25th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I'm coming up on 49 years of age now, so not quite 50. However, I have always wanted to have long hair, and I'm on the journey toward having the longest hair I can have. I wear bangs, and I wear my hair down when I can. I usually wear it in a simple braid or bun most of the time.

I have found that tiny regular trims help keep my ends nice while still allowing my hair to grow. I cut about a quarter of my growth now every four months. It's working well for me, and I still get a lot of growth in a year.

My hair is fine and has always been fine. However, with the better care I've been giving it since joining LHC, it's actually become somewhat thicker in circumference, which is a nice surprise.

justgreen
March 25th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I'm 53 years old. I just recently trimmed back from almost classic to between tailbone bottom and butt crack. I hadn't had a trim of any kind in over two years, so the ends were very un-even. I know I need new pics, I have been fighting an illness battle and the apathy still has hold of me, concerning anything, so as soon as I wean off the Cymbalta I'm sure I'll go pic crazy.

I don't give a flip about what anyone says about how I wear my hair. I can bun it, braid it, or just comb it as it dries and wear it straight. I have thin long spiky bangs, and have some face and longer thin framing chunks in front. I did those mostly because I have some breakage in front from wearing an oxygen cannula 24/7. This way now it looks natural instead of broken. I love having the longer sections in front.

Oh yeah, and I'm also a regular highlighter, every 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer, I go see my favorite stylist and get my roots done. I have very healthy hair, I do pamper the ends every time I wash, which is 1-2 times a week. I always use diluted shampoo, never full strength.

I think I look much better with long hair, my mother would agree with me, she used to love to braid it for me.

Pixna
March 25th, 2010, 09:29 AM

I think my hair is about the same thickness as it was in my forties. I'm not sure, as I've always had a bit of hair anorexia. :p Hot flashes are what pushed me over the edge to a pixie. I'm growing my way back from that now.

Everything else with my body seems to have changed though (sags, bags, wrinkles, nonexistent elasticity, etc.). :blueeek: It really happened more after 55 than 50. I think 50 is just the psychological and social turning point, but the body REALLY starts to change a few years later than that (at least mine did).

merseaone
March 25th, 2010, 12:40 PM

I have baby fine hair and have always been a little thin in the top, I think that is why I like having short hair on top and curl it to help it look thicker. I'm 53 and I don't know if there has been much of a change in my hair other than I think maybe the silvery white hair makes it feel thicker and sometimes a bit hard to deal with.

Caldonia Sun
March 25th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I'm 56 and started growing longer because I had a scalp problem and could not use any styling products. I've had pixies and every length of bob possible. I wanted to get to the place where I could just braid it and leave it alone. But every time it gets near that length, I end up cutting back to shoulder length because my hair is fine and doesn't stay in a braid very well. It would probably have to be past BSL to stay put. I may get there because now, I'm just plain lazy and don't want to bother going to the hairdresser.

I usually wear it straight down, tucked behind each ear and have bangs. At shoulder length, it sort of flips and I like that.

Feline
March 25th, 2010, 05:14 PM
56 here, and I've been growing my hair since I was 23. My standard response to folks who ask me why I wear it long are " I like it this way, my husband likes it this way, and nobody else gets a vote"!

I usually wear it down and loose, although I will pin it up or otherwise control it if necessary. I don't dye it, in spite of the little greys coming in- I just don't see it as that much of a problem.

Curlsgirl
March 25th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm well over 50 and have waist length hair with no bangs or layers. I have it long because I like it long. I don't see any reason for me to have short hair. I most often do a single English braid or some kind of a bun with a cool hair toy. I wear it down now and then. Frankly I think I'm old enough to pick my hair style. I don't feel like I need to buy into the beauty industry bull$hit about older women and short hair. I'm old enough not to care what people think and to do what makes me happy. And having long hair makes me happy.

THIS!!!! ^^^^^^^^^ :D

SilvraShadows
March 25th, 2010, 05:51 PM

It was more like my mid-40's for me due to health factors ...and color enhancements I never should have gotten started on and never would have if it wasn't for a color weave gone wrong. I still have hope (at 54) that things will improve since I sort of wax and wane with my shedding. My hair is much thinner on top too and overall has thinned down to one third of what I once had. Yet it is a silky silver and I love it for that. It is not coarse, it didn't change in texture, still ultra fine like a toddler's hair. I do wish I had a bit more of it though, really. But I'll happily accept what I have this day... I'm just concerned it'll keep thinning for I do have health glitches.

And now to continue on with the main question... I have always had longer tresses so longer tresses have always been a completion of me. Having long hair embraces the things I love for the beauty it can impart. Even though my hair is so thin, so thin, I will keep growing till it stops. I'm not here to appease the strangers I pass everyday and I never was one to listen to what my family liked or disliked about me, sort of always went my own way. And I really do, actually, feel insecure or something when my hair is shorter.

I have bangs and some fringe on the sides to frame my face... if I don't cut them in they wisp out anyways. I personally think having the top shorter to conceal the thinness won't do the job. The thinness is far more evident where my bangs are as to where the long hair begins. Having my hair up, especially after taking the braids out, creates a fuller head of hair that helps to conceal the thinness. Alas, where my bangs are reveals all!

Indigosails
March 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Love this thread.
I am 53 and my hair is around BSL. That is my favorite length. It used to be fairly straight, but has become wavy since menopause. My mom kept my hair short, short as a child. She often cut it herself and it was very uneven. I hated it. I hate getting my hair cut which is another advantage to long hair.

I love my hair long because I live in southeastern USA where the summers are hot and humid. I put my hair up and get it off my neck and face in the summer. I like wearing braids. I often do a messy bun and hold with a Ficcare or a hair fork. It is easier for me to care for my hair long than when it was short. No matter how great of a hair cut I got, short hair needed daily styling, blow drying, curling. And it needed frequent cuts. Long is better. :crush:

Hairtada
March 25th, 2010, 09:34 PM
"Originally Posted by my2cats1 View Post
Since we're on the subject, let me ask -- did any of you find the overall thickness of your hair changing around the age of 50? Any changes in density or texture? I know that such changes can happen as women enter their 50s, but I'm curious about how common that is, and how dramatic the hair changes are. "

My hair begin to thin quite a lot at age 51. I was diagnosed with low thyroid at that time.I really miss my old hair but am thankful to have what I still have.
The texture of my grays is kinkier than even my previously kinky/fuzzy hair was. The hairs themselves are thinner.My biggest issue now is that I dye it and would like to quit but it is nearly black and I have a lot of gray so would have to cut or have a huge skunk stripe for a few years. Not sure I could live with either option.I wish I had quit dying about 10 years ago when I had less gray. Oh well, you live you learn.:)

Quetiepi
November 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'm 56 and I had my hair short from age 40 to age 50. Pixie short. I kept it that short because of a long term personal issue. After turning 50, I made a few resolutions, like making my life more simple. I also wanted to have waist length hair again before I turned 60. I have amended that goal to include virgin waist length hair by age 60. The hair is down to my waist, the virgin part is down to my shoulders. Life goes by so fast. You should do the things that make you happy. I'm all for happy & positive!

Madora
November 4th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Why do you want long hair? And how do you wear it? Do you like to wear it in an old fashioned style like say ultra feminine or just straight? Do you wear bangs (fringe), straight, curly.....

I think I am in an age crisis... I am 53, plump, and have baby fine hair and the hem just will not stay healthy, it splits and gets dry looking. I have been washing my hair for the most part with just conditioner.

I'm 65 and have loved long hair for decades. I wear it in a lace braid around my head so I would imagine most would consider it "old fashioned". I couldn't care less. I do not wear bangs and my hair is slightly wavy. It is always braided and I love experimenting with new ways to braid it.

dulce
November 4th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I am over 50 and always loved long hair and had it to my tailbone in my 20's and 30's,then in my early 40's cut it in a pixie which did not suit me at all and I didn't enjoy it ,and kept it there for 10 years thinking that's what I should wear now that I'm older.Saw some lovely older ladies with long silver hair loose down their back,a few years ago and said that's for me,so I grew it out.Now it's curly, light brown with silver streaks, bangs and layers growing out and near waist or at waist but with curls it varies daily. It did thin out a bit during menopause so I altered my goal from hip to waist.Once the layers are all grown out will re-evaluate the thickness and see if I can still grow longer.Love the flexis and forks! I do easy styles as am fumble fingered eg. a braid down the back held by a flexi,a flexi ponytail,a topsytail braid or pony,a figure 8,a lazywrap bun or french twist with a fork or flexi or ficcarre or wear it loose.Hubbie likes it loose.I feel at home in long hair.Does that makes sense?Love to match my earrings and flexis in my dos.There are lots of inexpensive earrings on ebay that match many flexis.Love the variety of styles for long hair and that you never have a bad hair day as you can just put it up.Great thread!!

dulce
November 4th, 2011, 11:01 PM
HAIRTADA,would low lights be an option for you?It helps darker hair transition to gray easier.I think it involves adding dark highlights instead of blonde as the gray grows out..

duchesswannabe
November 5th, 2011, 05:23 AM
On other threads I put down that I have long hair now for various reasons. However, I am now seeing that all I have to do is get up in the morning and put a clip in it. I don't even always comb it. My pared-down lifestyle for the past several years does not dictate the need for a sophisticated hairstyle, and I don't have the patience for a new style or re-coloring anyway at this time. Until I really think it looks weird on me, I will leave well enough alone.

duchesswannabe
November 5th, 2011, 05:28 AM
"Originally Posted by my2cats1 View Post
Since we're on the subject, let me ask -- did any of you find the overall thickness of your hair changing around the age of 50? Any changes in density or texture? I know that such changes can happen as women enter their 50s, but I'm curious about how common that is, and how dramatic the hair changes are. "

My hair begin to thin quite a lot at age 51. I was diagnosed with low thyroid at that time.I really miss my old hair but am thankful to have what I still have.
The texture of my grays is kinkier than even my previously kinky/fuzzy hair was. The hairs themselves are thinner.My biggest issue now is that I dye it and would like to quit but it is nearly black and I have a lot of gray so would have to cut or have a huge skunk stripe for a few years. Not sure I could live with either option.I wish I had quit dying about 10 years ago when I had less gray. Oh well, you live you learn.:)

I finally figured out that using a lot more conditioner than I used to has gotten rid of a lot of the kinkiness of my grays. I tried conditioning only from the ears down, but I now must condition from the crown down to tame the temple and side of face grays, and use a good amount of it. That's just me.

skyblue
November 5th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I'm 51 I've always had longer hair, it's just me, I did however have to have chemo treatments and buzz cut my hair 8yrs ago to just about nothing so I went through the growing back stages and saw that I looked good with short hair and everyone kept telling me to keep it that way but I just let it grow and now my hair is longer then it's ever been!! My goal was thigh length but my hair has thinned over the years too, and I'm sooo close to classic now, so I might have to be happy with that, we shall see
I have not noticed and texture change other then my normal curly when its short, and slightly wavy as it grows longer

Suze334
November 5th, 2011, 08:11 AM
After years and years of coloring and cutting I finally feel that I am myself.

heidi w.
November 5th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm 51, and have had long hair all of my life, although this is now just about the longest it's ever been.

I wear my hair up, and for special occasions take the time to do something really nice and special such as curling it.

I no longer think about why I have long hair; it sort of doesn't matter. I just do. For one, it's cheaper than salon styled hair, by a fair amount.

heidi w.

moon2dove
November 5th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I am over 50 and have had short hair and hair no longer than at least APL. My hair is about BSL now and it feels sooo long to me :) (not by LHC standards, I know)

I thought I might like to grow my hair a wee bit longer, but not too long. Then I found LHC and I started reading through threads and seeing all age groups, especially my age and older with such long, beautiful hair of all kinds of thickness and colours. Now I have decided to head for waist length and maintain with trims :)
Shall I go grey gracefully? Well I'm not sure yet, as my hair is at the stage where it has gone a little darker and the grey hairs are gradually showing, so I might have to decide very soon.

Also, I have got so much inspiration from reading through this thread. Thank you for starting it :) |:)

going gray
November 5th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Just got through reading this thread, enjoyed it very much. I have chopped my hair to a pixie style 3 times since joining LHC....never seem to learn my lesson!

FINALLY figured it out, & I promised myself never ever to go down that "short haired path" again! It just doesn't suit me, no matter how old I get!

Thank you all again for the inspiration.

justgreen
November 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Wow, I've aged two more years since (55 now) last post in this thread. Life and hair just go on, don't they? :agree:

summerjade
November 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I am 56 and love long hair. I am at BSL at the moment, but would love to be waist length. I don't look or feel my best with shorter hair. I feel my most beautiful with long hair and that is what I want. I can do more with long hair, I can braid, wear it up , or wear it down. I do have bangs and love that, I just look better with bangs, I think. I am happy with it long and plan to let it grow more !!

AmericanWoman
November 5th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'm 55. l've always prefered my hair long. . when I was 48,I decided togrow it super long. i'm curently at hip length. back in '05. There were a couple young women with long long hair.(one was waist ,one had claassic lenth) + just decided to go for it. 0y hair is petty easy care, it styles itself. prone to splits, I self trim every 3 months so l'm not sure it'll ever get to tailbone.. The pic in my sig is my
hair 3 days after wash day.1st and 2nd day hair is much curlier. don't plan to cut, don't think i'll ever dye istill not enough grey to worry about it. Last time I was in a hair salon was 2002 when I got aa spur of the moment pixie.