PDA

View Full Version : Dreadlocks

prittykitty
March 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I am at the point where I am sick of my hair. I am doing everything right to it but it seems to grow out big and wild with those frizz kind of curls. Part of my hair is still damaged from past abuse, still I take very good care of it, I condition wash now and have been for a few months and I keep it up all the time to control it. I want to wear it down but it is so big in volume that it is impossible unless I heat style it which I don't want to get back into because it took me forever to get away from it. I am considering getting dreadlocks with added very long extensions and wear my hair like that forever. I have had those tiny braids in my hair in the past with extensions and they looked great on me. I don't want to get braids again though because they have to be taken out and re-braided as my hair grows out. I want something more permanent. Before I make a drastic decision I want other opinions. Has anyone else ever had dreadlocks? If yes what were they like to work with? How did they feel wearing? In other words were they comfortable or were they bad news? I have seen many pictures of women who have dreads, like Lisa Bonet. Her dreadlocks looked beautiful. Those are the kind I am considering getting and ending this very long nightmare of trying to get my hair to grow past the length it is, and only HOPING it will start to weigh down so I can go without a bun in my hair. All of your opinions and help will be great. Thank you in advance.

Also what is a normal price range to get dreadlocks the way I described them?

prittykitty
March 18th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I am surprised no one has an answer for dreadlocks.

chloeishere
March 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Kwaniesiam has had dreadlocks, but she recently had to remove them due to some ongoing health problems that was causing hair issues. You could contact her directly, or ask her to reply to this thread on her page.

I personally have no experience with them, so I'm not otherwise useful in this thread.

Hope that helps! :flower:

allnaturalboy
March 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I met this girl at a tattoo shop who had waist length blond and red dreadlocks. I'm not too big a fan of dreads, but her hair was awesome! (Think cyber goth dreaded hair, the whole industrial/rave scene) I wouldn't dare, for fear of regret, but I can admire it. :)

bijoux
March 18th, 2010, 07:01 PM
After looking up pic is Lisa Bonnet's dreads I think they are very nice. If I had dreads I would want thin ones like that. If dreads fit your style and personality they might be a good idea. I know some people on here have or had dreads, they might reply...
I dont know much about dreads but this site might: http://dreadlocktruth.com/

Fethenwen
March 19th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I've been thinking about getting them too. Like bijoux said, if you feel that dreadlocks fit your style and personality then why not :cool:

You should also check out this thread I made:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=44111

prittykitty
March 19th, 2010, 01:45 AM
After looking up pic is Lisa Bonnet's dreads I think they are very nice. If I had dreads I would want thin ones like that. If dreads fit your style and personality they might be a good idea. I know some people on here have or had dreads, they might reply...
I dont know much about dreads but this site might: http://dreadlocktruth.com/
Thank you so much. This website you gave me is wonderful. I am learning a lot that I didn't know about dreadlocks.

prittykitty
March 19th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I've been thinking about getting them too. Like bijoux said, if you feel that dreadlocks fit your style and personality then why not :cool:

You should also check out this thread I made:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=44111
Thank you. The thread was great with a lot of information. I want to dread my hair. I am still looking for a way to dread it with added hair extensions that are permanent so that I don't have to live with shrinkage.

Fethenwen
March 19th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Thank you. The thread was great with a lot of information. I want to dread my hair. I am still looking for a way to dread it with added hair extensions that are permanent so that I don't have to live with shrinkage.
That is something I have been thinking too, I wonder how it could be done.

prittykitty
March 19th, 2010, 01:34 PM
That is something I have been thinking too, I wonder how it could be done.
I use to do my own hair extensions. If you buy cheap human hair, it matts up pretty easy. Just buy the curly kind. I know how to get it started and how to back comb it in but what I am worried about is when the new growth comes in and is not as thick as the part where the added extension hair is. I am doing research and trying to see if there is a way to add the extension hair in the middle of the hair and not at the root near the scalp like most extensions are done. This way the new hair growth will not look thinner. Here is a website that sells human hair for extensions.

http://www.hisandher.com/default.aspx