PDA

View Full Version : Hair growing darker??

amethystrain
March 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I have had light blond hair my entire life. So light it was almost white. The past few months however, it is starting to grow out darker...like it's dirty blond. I love the lightness I've always had, but it suddenly looks like I'm a bottle blond growing out. LOL Why would it do that? Anyone know?

TIA!
~Vanessa

chopandchange
March 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
That's really weird! I have never heard of that before. Blondes can darken with age (I used to be blonde when I was a little girl) but it usually darkens gradually over time, I think. Do you actually have visible "roots?" That is very strange.

Capybara
March 18th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Do you live in a temperate climate, where the sun shines in the summer but not so much in the winter? Maybe the sun bleaches your hair in the summer, and you get "roots" of a slightly darker shade in the winter.

Sometimes hair changes color, too. I was born with jet black hair, which turned platinum blonde, and now it's part way between blonde and brown.

HTH :flower:

Themyst
March 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I was born platinum blond, grew up mostly golden blond, and now I'm brunette (well, I would be if I didn't use henna). My hair darkened exponentially after having children.

I don't understand it either.

Alia
March 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
My hair was a golden blonde as a teen, streaked dark blonde in college, and is now pretty much totally brown now. During this transition, I was accused of being a bottle blonde with bad roots, too, so you aren't alone.:flowers:

jera
March 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hi there. :) It's not unusual for blonde hair to darken with age. Is this a very sudden change? I honestly can't account for it. :rolleyes:

Tornerose
March 19th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I don't know how old you are, but it happends to alot of blondes in their teens. It happened to me too, but I didn't really notice it, because at first I was colouring it to a more honey blonde, then suddenly decided to colour it redblack, and it grew out brunette, wich confused me alot. When I look at old pics though, I can see it gradually going darker, and I even have dark roots in a picture, wich I didn't even notice I had at the time.

minnie may
March 19th, 2010, 05:03 AM
this is a normal hormonal thing for most blondes.

the darkening can be especially noticeable during or after hormal swings such as adolescence, childbirth and sometimes when starting/switching/stopping hormonal bc. It's the oestrogen level that does this and it naturally decreases with age.

I counteract this with occasional raw honey treatments. uv-light helps to, but that can be quite damaging and not only to your hair so be careful with overexposure to sunlight.

MonikaHa
March 19th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Same thing happened to me, you can blame hormonal changes. After having a baby my hair got really dark. I hate it. :/