PDA

View Full Version : Disaster

allnaturalboy
March 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
For awhile, I was using Wen cleansing conditioner. I wanted to try it out, since I had heard good things about it. Not to mention, you can send them back empty bottles for a full refund! Just as long as you do it within 2 months.

Heres the deal.
I was using it for about a month and a half. It worked great! My scalp was healthy, no itchies! My hair had volume to it. It was soft and manageable. Perfect, right?
Well, it stopped working. It started to leave my hair feeling greasy. Just wasn't cleansing like it had. So I figured, ok I just need to use a little more then. Worked for awhile, then what do you know? It stopped again.

Now my hair is dry. I have dandruff and some irritation. It's horrible! My hair has never felt like this before. It feels dry, yet it looks oily. Very strange.
Its almost like there is oil on it, but its not penetrating and giving my hair moisture. I oil, by the way. Its just not working.

I feel so frustrated! Could anyone tell me what could be the cause of this? Definitely getting my refund! "Healthy" haircare system. Ha!
Anyway, I don't know what to do, but I'm willing to try anything.
I'm even considering seeing a doctor. I can't seem to get moisture back into my hair. I oil every few nights, and wash it out the next day. I'm thinking maybe washing it out is counterproductive? I don't know. Anyone want to help me out here?

xoxophelia
March 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Maybe it is coating your hair and causing build up? This would make it look crunchy and also gunky. You could try clarifying your hair. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is, but either get a clarifying shampoo or use about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 2-3 cups of warm water and pour it over your head at the end of your shower. Or, do both.

jivete
March 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm going to second the clarifying suggestion. I imagine it's just build-up.

Rivanariko
March 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I'll add another vote to build-up. It might be creating a seal around the hair that keeps the moisture from penetrating.

SHELIAANN1969
March 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I am also thinking buildup. Many people CO (condition only) by using 2 different conditioners, and they don't have to be the WEN brand, you just need to determine what will work for you.

Some folks use a thinner conditioner as the first *wash* and a thicker conditioner as the *conditioning* step.

Many folks use V05 or Suave, anything that works for you would be a good bet.

As for the dandruff, when I get dandruff I use some Pine Tar soap or some shampoo or conditioner with a bit of Tea Tree Oil added in and left on for a few minutes, that usually helps my scalp.

If you try switching up on your conditioners and using the 2 conditioner method, it may help a lot. Try some cheaper brands, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Good luck and happy growing. :flower:

jera
March 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Can you handle hearing buildup one more time? :o Even Chaz Dean's hair looks limp, flat and dirty to me which is why I never fell for the Wen cleansing conditioner thing. You can do the same thing with store bought conditioner and add a few drops of EO to it. Way too much money for too little from Wen IMHO. :)

ravenreed
March 18th, 2010, 03:07 PM
When ever my hair acts weird, I shampoo, then go back to what I was doing before. I don't even use a clarifying shampoo. Just a plain old Suave one. I think once I added baking soda to make it more clarifying, but usually I don't.

Finoriel
March 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Iīm not going to repeat the buildup statement :wink:, but > :agree:

And just to clarify, oiling is not moisturizing in itself. Moisture = water :wink: not oil. Oil helps keeping moisture, but if there is no/very little moisture in the hair the oil just adds some slip but still has no moisture to keep.
Certain products can leave a buildup which seems to inhibit the ability of the hair to take up enough moisture, not the case for every hair-type but itīs not too rare either and it seems like it acts that way for you. So when you switch to another cleaning method and get rid of the buildup you can try to lightly mist your hair with a water-spray bottle before oiling it. :) That usually works.

Schmoomunitions
March 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
It has amodimethicone in it. Im pretty sure it is a non water dis-solvable silicone. Id try a clarifying shampoo to remove it.

allnaturalboy
March 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hmmm...well thank you all for the tips. :)
I'm going to give some of these a try. I did try a clarifying shampoo about two days ago.
And wow did it leave my hair dry!
I'm going to switch to another cleaning method.
I went to a hair salon to get my hair trimmed, and asked the stylist what I should be using.
She recommended me Great Cuts Solutions Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner.
I'm not really sure if it'll be good or not. She may have just been trying to promote their brand. XD

[B]Finorial: From what you say about the oil doesn't equal moisture, I'm kind of thinking maybe the clarifying shampoo just stripped my hair and it looks coated because of the oils I added to try and balance that.

By the way, is it detrimental to your hair to oil it too much? I oiled it last night and washed it out(came out dry again, yet coated). Would it be ok if I sprayed my hair with water and oiled it again tonight? Then wash it out the next day?

SHELIAANN1969: When you say "thinner" conditioner as the first step, do you mean a diluted one? Or are you actually talking about have two different conditioners?

I'm not really sure how my hair will react to only using a conditioner for washing. My hair is slightly on the oily side when its in it's normal state, though it would be pretty awesome if I got it to work. However, Wen did clean good for awhile. How do you recommend getting a regular conditioner to wash really well? I'm thinking I may have to mix it with something. I don't really want to come out of the shower looking like a big greaseball. Ha. XD

Finoriel
March 19th, 2010, 03:02 AM
It can take a while for the hair to get itīs moisture back.
So while you used the Wen-product it coated your hair and it dried out under the coat.
Then you clarified, so the dried hair is stripped from the coat.
> Here you missed to add a moisturizing treatment.
Then you oiled, which essentially is another coat, just not as sealing as the chemical ones.

So itīs probably not that you would oil too much, you just skipped to add moisture :wink:

There are different ways to help to get back the moisture into ones hair. All of them take some time.
I think switching to a gentle moisturizing cleaning method, doing some deeptreatments with focus on moisture as well as daily misting and light oiling on top of that would be a good routine to get your hair back to a not-dry state.

The is there a "too much oil" question is something which can not be answered that generalized. It all depends on which oil, which hair and how it is done. I think that fiddling with heavy oiling is a bit tricky and it often takes a while until one finds out which method works.
It could work for you as a pre wash treatment to make sure your hair does not get overcleaned, which can be more drying so thatīs something youīd want to avoid. Though that can backfire that you use too much cleanser to get clean hair or end up with still oily hair after just having it washed. So the benefit/necessity of a heavy-pre-wash-oil-treatment depends on the cleaning method you choose and needs some experience to really turn out good. (My first try years ago ended in a freshly washed oil-slick and the second one in totally stripped hair :laugh: took me some time to figure out how much oil needs how much shampoo to turn out good.)
Oiling still damp hair directly after washing can help to keep a lot of moisture, though itīs difficult not to overdose here so it needs some practice to find out which amounts are good. Ideally not something to experiment with if you plan to wear your hair down :wink:.
Oiling hair, without adding moisture with a mister-bottle for example, on the days between washes isnīt something Iīd recommend for dry hair. :wink: The why was already covered in my last entry.
Hope that makes things more clear regarding oiling methods :)

aisling
March 19th, 2010, 04:48 AM
SHELIAANN1969: When you say "thinner" conditioner as the first step, do you mean a diluted one? Or are you actually talking about have two different conditioners?

I'm not really sure how my hair will react to only using a conditioner for washing. My hair is slightly on the oily side when its in it's normal state, though it would be pretty awesome if I got it to work. However, Wen did clean good for awhile. How do you recommend getting a regular conditioner to wash really well? I'm thinking I may have to mix it with something. I don't really want to come out of the shower looking like a big greaseball. Ha. XD

Using a conditioner for washing is what you've been doing when using Wen. It's nothing else but a overpriced, light conditioner with cones, you can get that much cheaper.

I'm not Sheliaann, but I know what she is talking about. People here use light, often thin conditioners like cheap VO5 and Suave for washing and then another, heavier, more conditioning one to condition the ends once the washing agent has been washed out. So two different conditioners.

About the CO method, there's a big thread and at least one article about CO, I suggest you do the work yourself and read up on this and other washing methods. Threads can also be searched through tags for example, I know there is a conditioner only tag that has been used a lot.