PDA

View Full Version : The Best "Do" for the Dentist

Curlsgirl
August 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I usually forget about it and just wear my hair like I normally do when I go but today I REMEMBERED and wore it in a high messy sort of bun pinned with Amish pins. It was wonderful, no pulling or catching or anything :cheese:

Carolyn
August 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I usually do an English single braid and bring it over my left shoulder when they lay the chair back. A high loose bun would work too. Comfort is a necessity at the dentist. I always look and feel like crap when I am done so I usually just plan to go on home and recover.

KatKeRo
August 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I wear an English or French braid wich I slide to the side out of the way.

angelthadiva
August 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Ditto on English Braid...I can't do a high bun, and a regular height one is very uncomfortable for me.

Shanarana
August 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I throw my hair into a giant claw clip for dentist, dr, or anytime I think I may be laying down. I'll just take it out, put my hair under my back, and put the claw clip back in when done.

Sherri
August 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I wish I would have thought to wear an english braid when i went. I wore a cina bun right on the back of my head and i couldn't lay on it and had to take it down. Then the assistant was like wow look at all that hair. I was also worried about it when the chair was laid back. I was afraid it would tangle in something. Next time braided will be my option.

Curlsgirl
August 12th, 2008, 02:34 PM
When I wore an English braid and pulled it over my shoulder it worked okay except I was afraid it would get caught in those little clippy things that hold the bib on. Also they had to keep taking me up and down up and down today. It was a crown prep :( I will be glad to get my new pretty crown though :D

Islandgrrl
August 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Usually a braid, and I tuck it down the back of my shirt, or around and inside the front to keep it away from the Nasty Alligator Clips of Death.

eresh
August 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Always a braid which I pull over my shoulder and hold on my tummy, because if I don't hold it and the chair goes backwards, the braid will slip and get caught in the chair's mechanism.

Dulci
August 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
English braid here too. I have to have something to clutch at the dentist, if I've forgotten to bring a bandanna, I clutch the tassle. :o

Nightshade
August 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
IF I remember (which I almost never do, yay lack of forethough), I do a pinless braided bun in the morning. That way I can still wear it up at work, but have it contained at the dentist (just take out the stick and it's an English braid). When I'm done I can just put it back in a bun quickly.

Although it's somewhat entertaining when I forget and do a Gibraltar, like the last time I was there, then have to take it down. The reactions from the staff are endearing (:bigeyes:) but my hair gets all over the damn place :lol:

eadwine
August 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I usually wear a low English braid, and when I had LOOOOONG treatments, two braids so the back of my head was flat :)

Pierre
August 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
When I wore an English braid and pulled it over my shoulder it worked okay except I was afraid it would get caught in those little clippy things that hold the bib on. Also they had to keep taking me up and down up and down today. It was a crown prep :( I will be glad to get my new pretty crown though :D
When you get it will you wear a crown braid? ;)

I make a bun on top of my head with a hairscroo. The last time, I didn't know how to do two Dutch braids. Maybe I'll try that next time.

berr
August 12th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Low braid.

I made a mistake once when I needed an MRI by putting my hair in a pony tail. Over 3 hrs laying there for one with contrast and one without and I wasn't supposed to move. OMG the back of my head hurt from laying on that knot of hair that was the beginning of my pony tail. Never again.

yogachic
August 12th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I've wore mine down, and I've had the dentist pulling on it with his body. Last time i went i had it in a messy bun, but had to take it out to lay down, then put it back up when when i got up.

Curlsgirl
August 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM
When you get it will you wear a crown braid? ;)

Tee hee! Maybe!:D

Darkhorse1
August 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
HHAHAHAH. This makes me laugh because EVERY time I go to the dentist, I have to remove my hair style. I usually wear a braided ponytail in the summer, or it half up/down in the winter and I've always had to remove the style because I can't lay down properly.

Tehehehhee.

trolleypup
August 13th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I have a pretty new crown today! (Well, two, but who looks back there?)

Hair in a clipped ponytail draped over my shoulder. Must have been comfy because I fell asleep in the chair while she was working.

Juanita
August 13th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Usually a side braid or a claw clip which I take out pull hair round to my front.

Teazel
August 13th, 2008, 03:43 AM
English braid here too. I have to have something to clutch at the dentist, if I've forgotten to bring a bandanna, I clutch the tassle. :o

LOL. I always clasp my hands together, and spend most of the time consciously trying to relax my death-grip, and the rest of the time unconsciously developing the death-grip... maybe I should hang onto my hair instead! :D

But to answer the OP question, I always wear my hair in a single low plait for the dentist. Even then the assistant oohs and ahhs over the length she has to work around when she's wrangling the bib. :o

WavyGirl
August 13th, 2008, 04:16 AM
An English or French braid. If I'm going somewhere else first I'll fold or bun it until I get there. If I forget or have a different style I'll nip into the bathroom when I get there and put it into a braid. It has enough wave and length to stay that way even without a tie now when I'm sitting/lying still. I make sure to bring it forward over my shoulder too. It's nowhere near long enough to get into the mechanism, but I like to know where it is. :suspect:

socks
August 13th, 2008, 04:52 AM
There's no way I would wear my hair in a braid. Even if it doesn't get caught on anything, it could still get in the way and it would definately attract too much attention (I'm more comfortable and less self-conscious going out in public in a pirate costume that with my hair down :lol:). I just go in my usual low bun held in place with some big plastic claw clips. You'd think it'd be uncomfortable, but I'm so used to wearing my hair like that that I can even sleep with those clips on. Years ago, though, when I just started wearing my hair up, hairclips really bugged me at the dentist's office.

Finoriel
August 13th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Just a plain and simple braid or fake crown braid. Most comfortable styles for me at occasions like this.

curls2grow
August 13th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I wear it in a low ponytail. I find anything else bothers my head or neck when I put my head back in the chair.

MeMyselfandI
August 13th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I was at the dentist yesterday. I had not even thought about it. I usually wear my hair down and that is very comfortable.

If I happen to have it in a bun, I take it down. My hair is short so I do not find it an issue yet. I can't wait for it to be longer that I need to braid it. Positive thinking.

winter_star
August 13th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I usually put mine in a braid or low ponytail so I can lay down comfortably and keep it out of the way

LadyLongLocks
August 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
A braid or just wear it down and drape it over me.

Stevy
August 14th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I usually put it in a log roll with a Ficcare Max. For some reason the curved clip feels comfortable to lie on, whereas beaks pull, and I'd worry about snapping a hairstick.

podo
August 20th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I wear a snood. :) It keeps all my hair out of the dentist's way and the assistant doesn't snag it either. Then when I'm done I just stand up and go.

ammorgan
June 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I normally wear my hair in a ponytail every day, but when I go to the dentist I can't just lay on the ponytail because the band hurts. What I've taken to doing is pulling the band slightly down, so it fits into the bend of the chair, but then I feel like my hair looks really bad afterwards, so I take it down and put it back up.

The one time I did pull it down, it seemed like the dentist and her asst were both careful not to pinch my hair, which wouldn't have bothered me because I'm hard headed.

So long story short, how do you wear your hair if you have to go to the dentist? And any suggestions for keeping my hair up but not having to move the band in my hair?

patience
June 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
English braid or two braids.

froglet
June 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I used to do two low ponytails on either side of my head, behind the ears but towards the back a bit, instead of just one in the back center.

heidi w.
June 10th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Side braid, or take the stick out and lay all my hair beside me slightly over my arm or body. Then they can put that napkin on or the radiation coat, and my hair isn't in the way for the dentist or assistant to do their thing.

heidi w.

Nes
June 10th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I do an english braid, but loosely.

Nes x

Toof
June 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Ficcare and cinnamun bun for me. It's very flat and since the Ficcare fits the shape of my head it's quite comfortable, even against the relatively hard headrest.

Themyst
June 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I just wear mine down. I bring it to one side and down over my chest, then pool it on my lap.

yogachic
June 10th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I would just take it out of a pony or clip for the time I was in the chair.

Fairlight63
June 10th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I just went to the dentist today & I wore my hair uip in a high bun, I didn't have any problems at all with it getting in the way.

cobblersmaid
June 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Braid, that I hold to my chest. I have had my hair stepped on/rolled over in chairs too many times.

Qamar
June 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I wore mine down for both of my thyroid biopsies and draped it over the head of the gurney where it was out of the way.

squiggyflop
June 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
i almost always wear a high scrunchybun..

ammorgan
June 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
My hair might only be at BSL if it's down, so I'm not worried about the chairs rolling over it! And I didn't have much time to convince the dentist and her assistant that if they did pinch my hair between them and the chair I was in, or anything like that, that it wouldn't bother me.

Carolyn
June 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I either do an English braid and make sure that I start as low as possible at the nape or I do some kind of a loose bun with a Ficcare Maximas. I can adjust the clip to make it fit into the headrest. The headrest will probably be adjustable to a degree. If I did a ponytail, I'd have the biggest rat's nest of tangles.

Pierre
June 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Two Dutch braids (which is fairly normal for me) or a bun on top (which isn't).

Natalia
June 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I used to either do like you with pulling the pony or if i knew it would be a long visit i would do a low braid or just clip it up and let itloose when i layed down. I have a very sensitive scalp. I can do buns fine usually no pulling or pain but if its in a pony it hurts. Pretty much everything hurts if i have to lay on it though except fro the low braid or loose.

JamieLeigh
June 13th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I usually just braid...my dentist's chairs are leather with holes in the headrest...so I just slip my braid through there and warn everyone not to step on it. :p

Marika
June 13th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I wear mine down and bring it in front. I love the chair at my dentist! It's so soft and big (like one of those massaging TV chairs) I feel like going to sleep! Last time my dentist said to me "you look like a mermaid with all that hair" which was very nice. He isn't bad looking either..;)

Melisande
June 13th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I wear my hair in a side braid. Like for flying, other doctors and sometimes also sleeping, I find a side braid over my left shoulder really really comfortable.

trolleypup
June 13th, 2009, 09:20 AM
My hair might only be at BSL if it's down, so I'm not worried about the chairs rolling over it! And I didn't have much time to convince the dentist and her assistant that if they did pinch my hair between them and the chair I was in, or anything like that, that it wouldn't bother me.
One of the reasons I love my dentist is that neither she, nor her assistants are so rushed that there isn't time for pleasantries or communication. Hair comes up fairly often at her office.

Either I do a lower ponytail or I have it loose, and pull it over my shoulder and into my lap.

Curlsgirl
June 15th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I just went to the dentist today & I wore my hair uip in a high bun, I didn't have any problems at all with it getting in the way.

I like this idea. I usually do a braid and bring it to the front or loose but loose is dangerous more and more as it gets longer :eek:

share801
June 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
This was one of my defining moments realizing my hair was actually long - sitting in dentist chair, hair was loose but some had escaped and dragged on floor and she rolled her chair on the end! I had never realized I had enough for that to happen.

Savvyhorsez
June 16th, 2009, 05:47 AM
For anything that requires sitting or lying like that it's almost always in a ponytail, but I have had it loose before.

Madame J
June 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I just did two transatlantic flights where I wore a high bun with clippies and it worked for plane-seat-sleeping without getting in the way. That said, when I know I'm going to have to lie down (yoga class, ultrasound, pelvic exam, dentist, etc.), I wear a French braid. If you're hair isn't terribly long, you can even tuck it under and pin it to protect the ends, and it just rests in the hollow at the nape of your neck and doesn't bother.

nicolezoie
June 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
A little over two years ago I had to have some fairly extensive dental work done - 4 full porcelain crowns on 4 front teeth as well as three root canals on those teeth, and I spent HOURS in the chair. I tried ALL of these...

2 Braids in front and down my jacket- No. Their equipment, when drilling and other messy stuff caused teeth/porcelain bits to get stuck in the top part of my braid. And, when they rinsed, it was nasty because that too went down my neck and into my hair, EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE VERY CAREFUL!

Same thing for a single braid.

Loose and tucked down jacket - same outcome. Ick.

Bun with sticks - better but I had to take the sticks out so my head fit in the headrest.

Braided Bun with pins - OK but the base of the braid poked hard into the back of my head.

Flat Bun with PINS - worked best, but the headrest thing was an issue still - they had to adjust how THEY did their work because my hair tilted my head a bit, but it was most comfortable for me.

And yes they always asked about how long my hair was, how hard it was to care for, and what I was going to do with it for my wedding (fixing my teeth was my husband's only demand of me before we got married - I had old dental work that needed to be finished, and new stuff that needed to be done after I crashed my bike and busted two teeth).

Ryanne
June 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Just a messy bun. It works fine.

Sheltie_Momma
June 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I've had to have an implant done, the whole process took like 2 years, so lots of time spent at the oral sugeon. I just asked them for one of their medical caps and tucked it up loose inside the cap, the bulk of it plopped up above my head on the headrest and was safe from flying ickiness.

Misha
June 16th, 2009, 08:01 AM
A low pony was comfortable.

nicolezoie, your a super brave gal! Last week I sat in the dental chair for maybe only 40 min and couldn't wait for it to be over!!

rovylern
June 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM
A crown braid works best for my kiddo for her frequent orthodontist appointments.

Pierre
June 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I've never worn a crown braid, let alone a root canal braid.

The bun on top is held with a hairscroo or a Flexi, not sticks.

Nightshade
June 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Ficcare and cinnamun bun for me. It's very flat and since the Ficcare fits the shape of my head it's quite comfortable, even against the relatively hard headrest.

Usually this.

Though the time I forgot and wore sticks and had to take them out was a hoot. The oral hygienist got all :shocked: and exclaimed, "Is that your REAL hair?"

trolleypup
June 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Though the time I forgot and wore sticks and had to take them out was a hoot. The oral hygienist got all :shocked: and exclaimed, "Is that your REAL hair?"
Heh. More than once, when I pull my stick out before getting in the chair, I get an Oh, that's Cool! comment. Then when I put it back up at the end, I often have to pull it out and demonstrate it again.

Bunnyhare
June 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
As a dental assistant I always liked my patients to either have it high pony/bun or left down because if you try to leave it on the back of your head you can't turn your head the way we need you too because it hurts or is such a wierd bump...as a patient i always take it down and hold it over my shoulder toward my chest..I am so glad so many take car of thier teeth!:0)

pdy2kn6
October 31st, 2009, 08:57 AM
I went to get braces :( put on a few weeks ago (clear braces thankfully lol), and didn't have the best experience. Usually i love sitting in them dentist chairs for some reason, and like them fiddling around with my teeth, but I hadn't been in a while (not since wearing buns/sticks), so I went there not even thinking about the awkwardness my bun would be like sitting in the chair. I had a small stick in a bun at the top/back-ish part of my head, which when the dentist moved forward to sort my teeth out, instantly was being knocked by his body and moved around when he was moving back and forward from his chair...I was trying to grind my teeth together to stop me from saying ow, but a bit hard when he was telling me to open wide, a bit of a painful experience lol. Last week I had to just suck it up and wear a ponytail/elastic which I hate doing due to worry of damage and hair that easily gets tangles if it's not contained in a bun... How do you folks handle/style your hair when going to the dentist? Are we just forced to have an outing with our hair down or in a dreaded ponytail? As soon as I got out of the dentist I quickly put it back in to a bun lol.

natieya
October 31st, 2009, 09:04 AM
Great question. I wanna know, too. I hope you get great advice soon. :)

rags
October 31st, 2009, 09:06 AM
English braid at the nape or down for me. And I don't recommend down; when my hair was longer, the dentist trapped it between the chair and his leg and once even ran over it with his little wheelie chair! Ponytails don't work for me as the bump annoys me, so English braid it is!

longhairedfairy
October 31st, 2009, 09:07 AM
I've never had braces, but I went to the dentist recently for a cleaning and a loose-ish bee-butt bun worked just fine.:)

Speckla
October 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM
A high bun or french twist held with a flexi 8. Make sure it's high enough on the head so it doesn't touch the headrest. A trip to the dr is enough to make me panic but not to so bad since discovering how to do my hair.

Ashley
October 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM
An English braid! Perfect style. Lays flat, is comfortable and won't get in the way. :)

Tresses
October 31st, 2009, 10:00 AM
English or French braid. If your hair is long enough (mine is), you can pull the braid over your shoulder to lay in front of you, under the bib.

Toof
October 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM
My usual cinnamon bun with a Ficcare. It's quite flat, the Ficcare doesn't poke anywhere and it's snug enough that the bun doesn't get jostled. It's quite comfortable.

Konstifik
October 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Braiding it is the best technique I've found. Doesn't really matter which braid. :)

patience
October 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM
Braid and bring it around to the front like Tresses said.

Sissy
October 31st, 2009, 10:49 AM
I just wear mine down but put it over my shoulder onto my lap under the bib. That way it's safe!

viking_quest
October 31st, 2009, 11:39 AM
I put it up in a simple cinnabun and then take it down as I'm lying in the chair and put it back up when the dentist is done. It's so uncomfortable to lie on my bun in those chairs, my neck starts to ache.

KatKeRo
October 31st, 2009, 11:44 AM
English or French braid and I put the braid over my shoulder under the bib.

justme
October 31st, 2009, 01:56 PM
I just got two teeth extracted and a bone graft done on Wednesday. I wasn't sure how much blood there'd be and didn't want to have to deal with my hair afterwards if I was too out of it so I did a straight braid starting at the nape (not Dianyla's style because that causes a bump on the back of my head). Then I loosely coiled that up under a buff so all of my hair was covered (kind of snood like). I kept it all there even during sleep for the next two and a half days. It worked quite well.

pepperminttea
October 31st, 2009, 02:17 PM
I usually do a low braided bun with a single stick, then pull the stick out just as I'm leaning back, and put the braid aside. I can normally just twist it back into a bun when the dentist has done his work, and I like having something to grip on to with my hands. :)

Good luck with the braces - think how wonderful everything will align and whatnot when they're eventually taken off! :D

heatherdazy
October 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Ponytails annoy me at the dentist. I wear my hair in two braids or down, but of course my hair isn't long.

Amara
October 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM
I not only bring the braid around front but I tuck it under my shirt, under one of my bra straps, and down my chest.

Carolyn
October 31st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Going to the dentist is no fun so you don't want your hair annoying you. I do like JustMe and do and English braid starting at the nape. I can bring that around over my shoulder and keep it out of the way. A french braid would bother me. That line of braided hair on the back of my head can be painful when laying my head back.

Shermie Girl
October 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
A low English braid works well for me, when my hair is long enough to need it. :D

Babyfine
October 31st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I had a bridge put in last summer and I wore my hair loose thinking that would be better(nothing poking in back) but it was a mistake!!- my hair kept getting pulled on over the chair(inadverdently by the dentist) and I couldn't protest b/c his hands were in my mouth! Next time it will be a braid, as the others said.

Pierre
October 31st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Two Dutch braids held with mini Flexis, or a bun on top of my head, held with a Flexi or hair scroo.

Paliele
October 31st, 2009, 04:32 PM
I agree with the braid idea, but I tend to be annoyed by braids that are just down. Could you do a braided bun and let it down just before you sit on the chair? Then you could put it right back up again afterwards.

MemSahib
October 31st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Another braider here. For me, a Dutch braid and pull the tail to the front so it doesn't get caught in some of the chair hardware. Under the bib, of course. If Dr. L. wants to see my hair another way he'll have to run into me at the grocery store or something.

Anje
October 31st, 2009, 05:30 PM
I've always done an english braid at the nape, same as for driving. (I find French braids to be too lumpy when I'm leaning back against them.) Pull braid over shoulder so you're not leaning on it.

Coriander
October 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Any sort of braid with the end flipped over the opposite side of the chair. Sometimes I'll just hold the end under the attractive bib. :)

maryann
October 31st, 2009, 08:50 PM
In answer to the original post, I usually wear two French braids, or wear it down. With two French braids, the back of my head is able to lean evenly on the little head-rest on the dental chair. If I wear it down, at least it's sitting relatively evenly, not making me feel lopsided or imbalanced.

Gingevere
October 31st, 2009, 09:02 PM
I just wear my hair down during the appointment and pull it around to the front. I can't imagine it's that damaging and the little tangles can be easily dealt with by gently combing or picking them out afterward. If you really need to contain you hair, though, I agree with the braiding suggestion. A single English braid (not French, that can be bothersome to the back of the head) should do the trick.

Curlsgirl
October 31st, 2009, 09:17 PM
I usually wear a plain braid too and bring it around to the front under the pretty bib. :D

Last week I forgot and wore it up, had to take it down at the last minute and it got caught in the little clippy thing. I won't forget again or else they will have to wait on me to braid it!

sweetestday
October 31st, 2009, 09:20 PM
I know I'm a bit old for it, but the most comfortable way I've found was to make two pigtail braids, low behind my ears. That was even more comfortable than one low ponytail braid. When I know I'm going to be in the chair for a while, I'd rather be as comfortable as possible rather than worry about how I look.

lynnala
October 31st, 2009, 09:34 PM
I just have to pipe in here and say that I can't believe you said that you enjoy being in the dentist's chair!:agape:

Eniratak
October 31st, 2009, 09:58 PM
I always wear my hair down. So, when I go to the dentist, it isn't any different. I just hold it in my lap while he plays around with my teeth.

Stevy
November 1st, 2009, 05:29 AM
If I have time, I'll do a crown braid, but if not, I usually do a bun or a log roll held with a Ficcare - the curve of the Ficcare sort of spreads the pressure, so it's reasonably comfortable to lean back on. I don't really like having a braid down over my shoulder, because it tends to fight with the plastic bib that the dental nurse puts on you. :)

Pixna
March 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I don't like wearing my hair down when I go to the dentist, as the hygienist puts on that "bib" with a metal chain and either puts it over my hair (and my hair gets caught in it) or under my hair (where it catches on my neck hairs). I can't wear a bun because I have to put my head back on the neck rest. My hair is too short for a braid, and even when it was long and I wore a braid, she would still catch it in the metal chain.

Are there other options for me???

I could always try a top knot, but I don't know how to do one securely and flat so I don't look like Marge Simpson (or the Leaning Tower of Pisa). I don't use clips, pins, elastics, or claws -- just hair sticks and forks. What can you suggest???

little_cherry
March 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hi :)
How about a french braid? My hair is shoulder length and I'm able to French it. Actually, I French braid before I sleep.

Pixna
March 18th, 2010, 12:05 PM
That's a very good suggestion, Little Cherry, if I could actually do a French braid. :no: Alas, that's not on my current skill list, unless you come over and do it for me before I go to the dentist! :agree:

lovebug
March 18th, 2010, 12:17 PM
French braid would be very useful, but I guess a loose regular (english?) braid low on your neck would do the trick, too?

Lemur_Catta
March 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM
If you can't do one braid, why don't you try two braids?:D Two is better than one :D

Pixna
March 18th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Lovebug and Lemur_Catta (love your names, by the way!), thank you! My hair is still too short for a single braid, and at my age (ancient), I look a bit ridiculous with two braids (though I appreciate the suggestion!).

yellowchariot
March 18th, 2010, 12:35 PM
That's a very good suggestion, Little Cherry, if I could actually do a French braid. :no: Alas, that's not on my current skill list, unless you come over and do it for me before I go to the dentist! :agree:

Hey Pixna, what about a folded braid? Just do a regular braid then flip it up the back and on top of your head? (It mimics a faux dutch braid).

Also a French Twist should work pretty good.

Hope this helps!

Pixna
March 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks, yellowchariot. A folded braid might work, as I can do a wee one. What would I hold it with, though, that wouldn't jam into the back of my head when I'm in the head-rest thingy? (Sorry for my obvious lack of technical dental terminology!)

Bethie
March 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure if your dentist has this, but my dentist's head rest thingy has a piece that can drop out so buns and pony tails can rest comfortably within them.

MandyBeth
March 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Are you someplace that is warmer than here? Where they are predicting lots of snow this weekend? I can come braid your hair :) I can braid other people's hair, not my own.

Otherwise, hrrmmm. What about some thin metal forks like the bent double pointed knitting needles? So there would be less to put your head against.

Pixna
March 18th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Bethie, I've never seen anything like that. My dentist is pretty up on the latest technology, but I don't think he's upgraded his chairs in that way (unfortunately).

MandyBeth, that's a great idea! I have a titanium fork I could use that might work. Thank you!!

goodenough
March 18th, 2010, 01:19 PM
My dentist and hygenist are SO gentle with my hair. When it was really long, they would help me adjust it. One reason I always go there:)

Pixna
March 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM
You are lucky, goodenough. The former hygienist at my dentist used to joke that she would give her patients "a free haircut" with their cleaning!! :blueeek: She was a great hygienist, but I don't go there to get a trim in the process!! They have a new hygienist now and she has complimented me on my hair (she has great curly hair that she wears piled up on top of her head). Nevertheless, she's not as careful as I would like (though, fortunately, I haven't gotten any more "free haircuts" with my visits), so I'm still scared! :scared:

LoveMyLongHair
March 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM
What I did last week was I pulled my hair around to one side (laying over my shoulder) loosely braided, then coiled my braid into a bun. This was done below my right ear, so that when I laid back, nothing was in my way, nor being laid on.

:p

rags
March 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I use an English braid; the last time I went with it loose (emergency and I had to take my bun out) he trapped my hair between the chair and his little rolly stool! Ouch!

What about a side bun, Pixna? I'm close to your age and I'll wear that. Or if you have a flexi (?) that would be great for a folded braid....if not I second the thin metal fork and folded braid.

Isa-belle
March 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
The side bun is a neat idea, it can look so stylish :) but it would involve pins, I think, and I see you don't use them. :hmm: You gave us a real brainteaser there Pixna! :)
Although, a simple fork (bent knitting needle) should secure the bun while not being uncomfortable, I believe (sort of like a giant hairpin :) )

Euphony
March 18th, 2010, 03:03 PM
All I can say is your problem is going to become more apparent with more length LOL. My hair is to my tail bone, I keep struggling with what to do with my hair at the dentist. Too much hair for a bun on that chair, too much hair of course to leave it down and apparently after the dentist accidentally stepped on it - too much hair for a dutch braid.

Pixna
March 18th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks, LoveMyLongHair, Rags, Isa-belle, and Euphony!! I like to keep us challenged here!! :smirk:

I'm not sure I could do a side bun (yes, I'm all thumbs) -- I think I would look like I goofed and got it lopsided. :silly: And, as Isa-belle mentioned, I'd probably need pins, which I don't want to use.

Euphony, you'll have to let us know if you figure this out! There were a lot of reasons I cut my hair previously, and although this was a minuscule factor, going to the dentist (which I do every three months), played a minor part. Of course, I was a bit nuts to let the hygienist's unrequested haircuts play any role in my major chop, but it was a compounding factor. And my hair was MUCH longer then than it is now, so I know what you're talking about Euphony.

Hmm. Right now it seems that using my titanium U pin or figuring out how to do a flat top knot are the best solutions for me. But I'm still open to other ideas. If I go with the top knot, I'll probably look a tad crazy, as I'll have this high bun with a fork through it sitting on top of my head. Maybe that will scare the hygienist into being extra nice to me. What do you think? ;)

jera
March 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I think just a top knot would work best. It depends on how agressive your dentist is, but something soft and comfortable that doesn't require a ton of pins would be best for a dental appointment.

I'm glad you've got a new hygenist. The last had a lousy sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Pixna
March 18th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks, Jera! You're right -- the last hygienist thought she was so funny when she would say that. She must have wondered why I never laughed!

wendyg
March 18th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Pixna: I usually ask the hygienist to hand me the bib and put it on myself. I'd suggest a low ponytail. Or what about one of those wrap things like a hair glove to keep it contained?

wg

Carolyn
March 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM
How about doing a loose top knot that could be adjusted as needed? Hop on You Tube and check french braiding vids. I bet with some practice you would get the hang of it.

yellowchariot
March 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
How about doing a loose top knot that could be adjusted as needed? Hop on You Tube and check french braiding vids. I bet with some practice you would get the hang of it.

^ +1 @Carolyn's statement! That's how I learned, from the members that contributed to making tutorials. It also inspired me to make tutorials of my own.

Juliannaissance
March 18th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I usually do one low braid in the back. And you could even wrap it into a bun. :)

atlantaz3
March 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
My suggestion is a pull through pony tail. I do mine high up and think it looks very elegant. This style would be flat enough for the chair I think. And if you have enough pony tail left pull it through a second time for a gibson tuck style and pin flat.

Pixna
March 19th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Thanks, everyone!! I appreciate your suggestions!! Not sure what I'll do. I wish they had a head rest shaped like a calorimetry so my bun could fit through it. That would solve everything easily! :gabigrin:

Capybara
March 19th, 2010, 06:15 AM
This is ironic, I just had my wisdom teeth out on Wednesday :P

I usually just do one or two English braids for the dentist, or leave my hair down. I left it down on Wednesday because I thought it'd be more comfortable than lying on my braid. It worked for me (:

What about a half up, elvish-type braid? This would keep your front hairs out of the way of the bib, while still keeping comfort in the back?

Pixna
March 19th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks, Capybara. I hope you are feeling better from your extraction!! My only concern with a half-up braid is what to secure it with (since I prefer to not use pins and don't really have any). Suggestions?

trolleypup
March 19th, 2010, 06:30 AM
1. Don't worry what you look like at the dentist's office, comfort is more important.

2. See #1

Pixna
March 19th, 2010, 07:41 AM
1. Don't worry what you look like at the dentist's office, comfort is more important.

2. See #1

LOL!!! Absolutely true! I'm concerned about my comfort AND protecting my hair. I'm never a raving beauty when I go to the dentist. I often wonder what they think about my appearance, since I'm usually decked out in an old T-shirt or sweatshirt. I don't want to have "spray" all over any clothes I care about. For some reason, I get both a haircut and a shower when I go there -- all included with the price of a regular cleaning! :p

TiaKitty
March 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I keep my hair down until I get in the exam room, then I put it in a very high bun, so I'm not laying on it. I use jaw clips to secure it. You could use a pencil or a pen if you don't like jaw clips or hair pins.

I hate the feeling of those metal clippys and the ball chain that are on the bibs, so I wear a shirt with a collar and put it under the collar. That metal on hair feeling really, really creeps me out!!!

gmdiaz
March 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Gad, I hate going to the dentist. . .oh the humilations galore! roflolol

I like to wear a super light fleece jacket with a hood. . .mine has Tinker Bell on it.

I wear my hair down or in a single braid off to the side and tuck it inside the jacket, hood up.

That way I am as happy as I am capable of being, nice and toasty, and my hair doesn't get squished between his knee and the side of the chair.

Yeah, I look like a total wuss. . .so what? They're lucky I showed up.

Pixna
March 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you, TiaKitty and gmdiaz! Yep, that metal clippy and ball chain give me the willies, too!! It's funny that you mentioned bundling up, gmdiaz, because my dentist's office is always SO cold, regardless of the time of year. I usually wear a sweatshirt and socks, even in the middle of summer!!

Iylivarae
March 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I would suggest a caterpillar braid -> just using several scrunchies to put your hair together... for me, buns are just not practical for the dentist, I always braid it..

Pixna
March 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Iylivarae. I'm not quite long enough for a braid yet. Getting there...but since my appointment is next week, I doubt my hair will grow that much between now and then. ;)

Carolyn
March 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM

2. See #1Yes to this. Do whatever you have to do to be comfortable and keep your hair protected. You can fix it when you are done. I always have to redo make up and hair when I get back to my car.

Capybara
March 19th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks, Capybara. I hope you are feeling better from your extraction!! My only concern with a half-up braid is what to secure it with (since I prefer to not use pins and don't really have any). Suggestions?

You might only need an elastic to secure it, but (seconding many before me ;) ) comfort is of utmost importance. Maybe a clip, if you want it to be more secure?

And thank you! I am feeling great :D

MandyBeth
March 19th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Thank you, TiaKitty and gmdiaz! Yep, that metal clippy and ball chain give me the willies, too!! It's funny that you mentioned bundling up, gmdiaz, because my dentist's office is always SO cold, regardless of the time of year. I usually wear a sweatshirt and socks, even in the middle of summer!!

Since I had to make a dentist appointment today anyways... I asked what they recommend....

1 - If not too long, take hair and drape over the headrest behind. If needed to keep it under control, use a band right at the end to keep it all together.

2 - Hooded sweatshirt if you are cold. The receptionist I spoke to said this is what she does - and I see it's already recommended. Her hair is about mid back she said and I know it's super curly.

3 - See if they have a non-beaded/snag prone chain for kids that's long enough. Receptionist said the clips are fine, it's the chain her hair tangles in. They have a smoother chain vs the beaded one they use with kids and she likes that.

4 - Clip the bib yourself. Just say you are more comfortable doing that, receptionist said they (at that practice) do get that request most days from someone for whatever reason and it's not a problem for them. Some people are more comfortable doing it themselves because it's near their face, some want to protect hair, whatever.

So those are her votes. Don't know how many have already been suggested, just thought I'd pass them on. She didn't think it was an unreasonable question at all, so I don't think it'd be a problem to at least clip it on your own.

restourceful
March 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hi Pixna, it's me again.

I used to work for a dentist so I know what you mean. Do you have some ribbon and a couple rubber bands or hair bands? Try wrapping a low pony in ribbon and either tying the ribbon or secure it with the rubber bands or hair bands. That way the bands don't touch your hair. And it wouldn't have to be perfect if it's just for the dentist. The chain wouldn't catch your hair if it's all wrapped up nice and snug as a bug in a rug.

xovictoryxo
March 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
i always put a cinnamon bun at the top of my head... i look like a ballerina= temporarily lol

beez1717
March 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
At my dentist's office, they use rubber coated neck things so it isn't so cold when they use it. I would say though, that in your situation you might just kindly ask them what you want done with the bib, and then also put your hair into your favorite updo. That might work best ;)

Pixna
March 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks, MandyBeth -- how kind of you to inquire! Those are good suggestions!

Restourceful, your are always so resourceful (we need to change your screen name!). :) Thank you for the idea. It's interesting that you used to work for a dentist and understand the dilemma firsthand!

xovictoryxo, that's the direction I've been leaning, mainly because it's the easiest for me. I'm not sure I'll look like a ballerina, though -- maybe more like a wild and crazy old lady! :silly:

beez1717, thank you for your input!!

justme
March 20th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I just had implant surgery last Monday and wore my hair in a braid rolled up inside my buff (looked kind of like a snood). It's what I did when I had my extractions and bone grafts a few months ago, too. Not only does it protect my hair, but it makes it so all I have to do is wash the buff, not my hair if blood, fluids, or bone fragments get on it. (And yes, there were a couple bone fragments on my cheeks and on my buff last Monday.)

So my suggestion would be a buff, scarf, snood, or something like that to completely wrap up your hair.

Pixna
March 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks, Justme! That's an innovative approach -- and from one who has just been "in the chair." Luckily, I'm going in for only my regular cleaning (and I hope that's ALL I'll need). I hope you are all healed up and feeling better now!! :flowers:

wendyg
March 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Oh, duh. Make low ponytail. Put on loose shirt or hooded sweatshirt, tucking hair underneath. Put on bib.

wg

Pixna
March 21st, 2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks, Wendy. I'd prefer to not use elastics and my hair isn't quite long enough yet to tuck underneath anything and stay there. It's a good idea, though, and one I will certainly keep in mind for when my hair is longer!

intothemist1999
November 2nd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Well, not FOR the dentist...for me AT the dentist! lol

I have to get some not-very-fun work done tomorrow and I don't know how long I'll be lying there. I can't seem to come with an updo or anything else that doesn't put bulk right at the back of my head.

I won't wear it loose there, of course. I was thinking a very low ponytail (elastic at the nape) but there's alot of hair to let hang loose from a pony. I thought maybe a braid or a {{whatever you call a pony that has elastics several inches apart, all the way down}}. Still seems awfully long to me, and I have to find somewhere to "put" it while they work on me.

Ideas?

pepperminttea
November 2nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
I do a single nape braid usually. Tucking it might help with the length?

intothemist1999
November 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
I do a single nape braid usually. Tucking it might help with the length?

Ah, never thought of tucking it. Thanks!

mira-chan
November 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Having gone through several oral surgeries (implant, graft, cyst, ugh) I come in with a braided bun and let it down in the chair. I put it back up or stuff my braid under my shirt after so it's out of the way and I don't have to think about it.

jeanniet
November 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Last time I just put on a Buff and left my hair loose in it, which worked pretty well. If I was any good at braiding, I'd probably opt for that along with the Buff.

intothemist1999
November 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
The last time, I didn't know how to do two Dutch braids. Maybe I'll try that next time.

BRILLIANT!! That's the one that will work for me! :joy:

UPDATE: the braids were just going to be long and I'd have to do something with them, so I opted for the crown braid. Never did one before, but it turned out alright...not the best look for me, though - I think it will just be my "dentist 'do"! :) It looked terrible by the time I got out of there, though.