PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to...

intothemist1999
March 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM
...buns that sit right on the top of the head?

I associate those with older ladies for the most part, but even they don't wear them any more. Maybe it's a spin-off of the move to very short hair in the old folks.

There was a young nurse at work many years ago who used to wear her hair like that all the time. She had beautiful dark, shiny hair and had a HUGE bun, sock bun I believe!

RavennaNight
March 18th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I have only seen one lady one time with a bun on the top of her head. She was a customer, no older than 50's, and blonde. Twirled round and round in a cinnabun. I remember it clearly because the top-of-head placement is so unusual.

Konstifik
March 18th, 2010, 08:29 AM
My grandmother usually wear her hair in a messy bun on top of her head. She has a very messy, thin hair, so you can barely see the bun though. :D

MommaRalph
March 18th, 2010, 08:31 AM
That's called a topknot, right? I know I read recently in a hair trend/fashion article that it's back in style now! Yay for LHC!

Valerie

Xandergrammy
March 18th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Every time I ever tried to do a bun on the top of my head, my head hurt. I guess my hair follicles didn't like going in that particular direction or something.

Fethenwen
March 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah, it sure is back in style folks :D I've seen quite a lot of it around these parts. They are usually quite messy, I think the trend was actually to keep them messy. No hairsticks, sorry. But I would wear sticks anyway.

lapushka
March 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
That's odd. I've always associated lower buns with a very classical, maybe old-fashioned, look whereas buns higher up on the head look to be more modern to me.

Capybara
March 18th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I see a lot of these on the soccer field.
Although, it's usually a messy bun held up with a hair elastic, bangs kept back with pro wrap :D

There are many pretty alternatives, though, that don't look too tight as to be uncomfortable: See the picture about a quarter of the way down this webpage: http://www.flights-of-fab-fashion-fancy.com/2009/09/hair-design-trends-hot-soft-top-knot.html

akka naeda
March 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM
There's a lady in a village a couple of miles from here who wears her snow white hair like that 90% of the time. It's about shoulder length down, and she's the only person I've ever seen wear their hair that way.

centurytoolate
March 18th, 2010, 10:18 AM
My mom always put my hair up that way when I was younger. It was always pulled so tightly that my eyes were pulled back and my scalp would just ache when I took it down. Seeing someone with that hairdo makes my head hurt to this day.

coscass
March 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Am I the only person that opened this topic and sang in my head, "...predictability? The milkman, the paper boy, evening tv?"? If so, sorry, I'll go hang my head in shame alone in the dork corner.

To answer the question- I don't know! My great aunt wears one. She's 75 and has long hair, but it's very thin, and it looks like a tiny pill capsule atop her head. It's so cute haha.

Islandgrrl
March 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
There's a woman just a couple years older than me who wears her hair that way. It's thin and white (seriously, she looks like she's 70 but she's only 52). She pulls it off rather well, actually. Looks good on her.

I've tried it. Looks like I have a birds nest on my head. I think the topknot style might be more well suited to thinner hair. At least thinner than mine.

akka naeda
March 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM
My mom always put my hair up that way when I was younger. It was always pulled so tightly that my eyes were pulled back and my scalp would just ache when I took it down. Seeing someone with that hairdo makes my head hurt to this day.

The lady I see seems to have her hair done very loosely, you can see it's not pulled back tightly from her forehead. I've always wondered how she gets it to stay up!

klcqtee
March 18th, 2010, 11:00 AM
On top always feels very...insecure, as if it's going to sway to the side and fall off. I do love it right at the crown, which is pretty close to on top. It's where I prefer to wear my buns.

melikai
March 18th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I really like the look of these better than mid-level buns, but they hurt my scalp up there. I think my hair is thinner at the top and doesn't like the aggravation.

christine1989
March 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I just saw a lady with one of those buns today on my way back from school! She was driving 40 mph on the freeway with her turn signal on for at least 3 miles :).

SolSara
March 18th, 2010, 11:45 AM
There are a lot of top buns on younger woman around here, but some few older pentecostal ladies to. I love the look, ballerina bun some call it, but I can't pull it off. I can't even make a high pony/bun, it hurts to much.. :(

BrightEyes7
March 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I do that all the time! I do a cinnabun on the top, more towards the back/crown of my head though. And I'm only 21 and I consider myself up to date with current trends. I get compliments on it all the time which is weird. The only reason I do it is because that is the only way I don't have to pin my bangs back to put my hair up. I'm growing the bangs out and they are chin length.

ETA:

Am I the only person that opened this topic and sang in my head, "...predictability? The milkman, the paper boy, evening tv?"? If so, sorry, I'll go hang my head in shame alone in the dork corner.

You are not alone!! I guess we just watched Full House too much. Also if you think about it, Michelle always wore her hair on the top of her head... in the younger years. I would always tell my mom, when I was like 5 years old, "I want the Michelle" and she would do a ponytail on the very top of my head!

Sorry...post hijack/:p

lunagoose
March 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I've read in magazines that buns on top of your head make you appear taller and visually elongate your neck, so if anyone has a short neck this style is supposedly more appropriate for them than the low bun.
Personally, I can't wear my hair in a high bun because my scalp hurts a lot while wearing it up and when I put my hair down no matter if my hair is put up loosely or not and I also lose hairs from the constant pulling. I used to know a young Ecuadorian girl with dyed long red hair that always wore buns on top of her hair and suited her very well.

enfys
March 18th, 2010, 01:22 PM
This style has never looked good on me; the back is always lumpy. Even if it was comfortable, I still couldn't wear it.

Maybe the old dears thought it was too old fashioned for them? If it's a style their grandmothers wore maybe they felt it was out-dated.

PineappleJello
March 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
There's three or four ditz's in the far back corner of the room who wear their hair up like this. So I just can't bring my self to like this hair style now. especially because it reminds me of the way my hair use to feel after taking it out of one of my mum's french braids. And because they bob their head, and it reminds me of a palm tree for some reason. Or Robert Munch's 'Stephanie's Ponytail'

Charlotte
March 18th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I think that the bun on top of the head is very in at the moment with teenaged girls.

My Lizzy and her friends all wear them. They twist their hair all around at the top and then put an elastic band (no metal bits) around it to keep it there. They are super messy looking which does look really good!

I'd do it myself but I really don't like elastic bands and whenever Liz takes her bun out it requires lots of untangling because of the deliberate messiness of it! I'm afraid if I tried that, I'd lose too much of my already thin hair... :rolleyes: :D

jera
March 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
When it's very hot I do this but hate to because even a covered elastic can cause damage and breakage. But it's the coolest style for hot muggy summer weather. :p

Marjolein
March 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Inspired by this thread I just tried a high bun. Can you say Wilma Flintstone?!?

cindy58
March 18th, 2010, 03:48 PM
My buns are usually kinda high, at least the ones on my head : ).

Loviatar
March 18th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I wear them a lot. I love them. They remind me of geiko sometimes and Edwardian ladies the next. :)

I find them really flattering on tall women, too. Oh and they elongate my face, which I like.

intothemist1999
March 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I find it so interesting that many of you still see them!

I haven't seen one in decades and other than on that nurse, only on old ladies!

It's a look that doesn't interest me. I was curious because I thought it was lost to history. Who knew?!

petitepraline
March 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I do them every night before bed, lols.

Akiko
March 18th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I see them a lot. But I don't wear myself. It's too uncomfortable for me to wear.

Bast
March 18th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I haven't seen them, but I will do one in the shower. Best way to keep the majority of my hair out of the water while I'm letting the conditioner do its thing and de-fuzzing the rest of my body. =D

Quixii
March 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Huh. At school, the girls that don't pay attention in class do big messy buns on top of their heads. I think they're the only people I see with buns in that location. :hmm:

Demetrue
March 18th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Apparently, it is coming back in style again. I saw a lot of teen girls at the beach wearing their hair that way, usually held with a scrunchy. It probably facilitates getting that perfect tan on own's back.

Pagancat
March 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I live down the street from a shopping center that has a dance studio. I see a lot of really cute litte ballerina pre teens with little buns on the top of their heads coming from dance practice. Very cute. Also saw a clerk in the local Barnes and Nobles with a topknot, too. She was about 60 years old which makes me thing it a very young or older woman style. My hair is too short to reach up that far to the top of my head yet, so I can't say I'll be trying that style any time soon, but maybe someday.

IndigoAsh
March 18th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I actually wear a big cinnabun on the very top of my head or as close to it as possible. I have 3 boys under 2 1/2 and they are crazy grabby fingers in my hair. The farther it is from them the better it's chance of survival!!

Merlin
March 18th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I remember seeing it a lot more in the mid 70s.... Sort of went with tie-dying your own macrame.

Looked really cute though!