PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who use heat

09robiha
March 18th, 2010, 06:15 AM
how often do you use it?? I use my diffuser maybe twice a week, I do airdry where i can and always use a low setting and dont 'stretch' my hair straight.

freckles
March 18th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I'm on a 6 month challenge to myself not to blowdry, but it only started eight days ago. Before that, I ...

... blowdried once or twice a week.
Only used fingers or comb or tangle teezer, not a brush, and didn't 'pull' my hair.
Only started blowdrying when damp, not soaking wet.
Alternated between 'cool' and 'warm' settings, never using hot.

But I'm still worried it damages my very fine, split-prone hair :( hence the six-month challenge, to see.

guccixx
March 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
In the colder months, I like to blowdry on high heat, low air. I do this because I absolutely hate the feeling of wet hair when it's chilly. But in the wintertime I also wash my hair 2x/wk max, so I guess it's twice a week, if that.

*girlypearl*
March 18th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Hi there! I used to only blow dry about once a week, when my hair was longer, because when I let it air dry it had a nice full wave to it. Now that I unfortunately cut my BSL hair to a neck length bob, I feel like I have to use heat a little more often. This is because the layers that were cut into my hair make it harder for me to wear it naturally. I am so upset about this because I liked letting my hair go natural. I guess we learn from our mistakes!!:( So, I would have to say twice a week I use heat... At least until it gets a little longer and less unruly to dry on its own.
*Happy Growing*

Rennire
March 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I use my straightening iron once or twice a month. I know that it is so bad but it makes my hair look so good! I'm trying to cut back though!

Capybara
March 18th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I used to use heat, but I avoid it as much as possible now. If I do use the blowdryer, I use the cold setting and don't dry it until it's bone dry - I dry it about 80% then let the rest dry naturally.

I've actually had very good results with some of the higher end heat styling products - T3, Rusk, and Metropolis didn't do any damage to my hair. (although it's virgin, so I guess it would hold out on possible damage for longer?) I did fry my hair once with a cheap blow dryer on the highest setting though :(

Bethie
March 18th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Now that my hair is just hitting my ears, I would say that I use heat more often then not. Although I only get the roots to damp, then stop and use a low setting. But due to the humidity around here and the fact I can't pull it up and want my hair to not stick flat to my head, I do feel that a little heat is okay.

Sara_1987
March 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I used to straighten 2 times a week.
Now I stopped that and I'm currently not blowdrying either. I airdry and then I often sock curl my hair (on dry hair, just to get some definition because otherwise it looks weird in between straight and wavy).

I do still straighten the bangs that I'm growing out, but I just go over those hairs once with a high quality straightener so I think it's ok.

I really want to start straightening again though! It makes my hair look so nice! But I won't.
I also want to buy one of those gigantic round brushes so I can blowdry my hair the way they do it at the salon.

Leena7
March 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I blowdry on warm or cool regularly, but I make sure to use some sort of heat protecting product as a barrier. All other forms of heat styling I do less than once a month.

SnowWhite
December 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Heat or not? It depends on the season!

I diffuse my hair, with the blowdryer on the lowest setting. Almost after every wash.
I have a hard time air drying it in winter. It's too cold plus it takes at least five hours or more to be completely dry, so I have to diffuse - blowdry before I go out.
Is it true that diffusing is less harmful than blowdrying? My guess is that it distributes the heat more and the 'stream of air' is less powerful, but I'm not sure about this.
Anyways, I don't notice any damage on my hair. I'll air dry my hair again when it gets warmer.
I use my flat iron occasionally. I used it two weeks ago for the first time in 2012. I probably won't use it again soon.

jacqueline101
December 9th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Only blow dry I use warm setting with heat protector that's only when I'm sick.

Sillage
December 9th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I blow dry when I wash my hair, about 2x a week-- can't stand to have wet hair! Hopefully I'll be getting a Sedu 4000i for Christmas which will help cut down on the damage even more.

DarkSky
December 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM
These days I've been using the diffuser around once a week. I usually straighten my hair once or twice a month with a flat iron on air dried hair. I have never gone without using some form of heat for longer than a few months because I like to experiment with different looks and textures.