PDA

View Full Version : Hair isn't growing?

Vivicka
March 18th, 2010, 04:55 AM
So, for the last 2 months or so, my hair doesn't seem to be growing anymore. I've started taking better care of my hair by only using hairspray occasionally and not blow drying hair.
I'm also washing my hair with shampoo once a week, but without conditioner.
If it helps, I'm 17, and my hair is about shoulder length and naturally straight.

Just wondering why it's stopped growing now that I'm taking better care of my hair.. :(

Thanks
(Sorry if this doesn't belong here)

Khiwanean
March 18th, 2010, 05:24 AM
It may just be stalling. Don't worry, if that's the case it will start up again soon if you are patient.

Actually, mine is stalling right now too. It is probably growing slower because it's winter here, but it's been months since I have had noticeable growth. I'm hoping it will start growing again soon now that I've been taking better care of it.

Konstifik
March 18th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I don't think you should worry. Everyones hair stalls, it's a part of the hair-cycle. :) Some peoples hair stall during winter too, like mine. I've had about 2-3 millimetres of growth since october-november. But I know my hair will get back to growing again in a few months.

Demetrue
March 18th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Hmmm - is there a special reason why you don't use conditioner? I find that conditioner kind of protects my hair from breakage. Do you use a wide tooth comb instead of a brush when wet? Are you on a diet or cutting calories? Are you eating enough protein?

sherigayle
March 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Do you have a lot of new growth? Over the past few months, my length hasn't changed much, but my hair looks longer because the newer growth is growing quite fast. I figure that the longest hairs are at the end of their growth cycle. BTW, my hair is layered.

jera
March 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Oh sweetie, it's probably growing but it just doesn't look that way. It happens. I thought my hair was stalled at hip for almost 6 motnhs and suddenly I'm at tailbone. It was growing all the time. Sometimes we're so obsessed we don't see. :D

prittykitty
March 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I am starting to feel the same way about mine. It seems to just stay at shoulder length although I am getting a lot of volume. I don't want volume though, I want length!

Sunny_side_up
March 18th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hi there,

i think in a couple months you'll be pleasantly surprised at progress, For now you could wear it up and don't pay it too much attention, well apart from some lovely tips/treatment ideas you can get from the forum:) The care and determination will show given time
Happy hair growing:D

petitepraline
March 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I would recommend to condition, it will help minimize breakage so you can see some growth in your length. Other than that, just wait it out. As everyone mentioned, it could just be a stall.

crystal_k
March 22nd, 2010, 06:00 AM
my hair growing ridicolously slow at the moment to about 2 mm in 2 weeks but the old saying grows watching the kettle never boils or something like that lol.

florenonite
March 22nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
In two months the average person's hair only grows an inch, and your hair can easily grow that much and not appear any longer. I wouldn't worry about it :)

Marjolein
March 22nd, 2010, 07:04 AM
It's probably just a winter stall. I henna my hair, so I can pretty easily tell if my hair has grown or not and the last 4 months I only had about 4 millimeters of growth per month. Just wait it out and hope for spring!

pinchbeck
March 22nd, 2010, 10:40 AM
I am going through the same thing! My hair was growing like dandelions do, than I noticed with my once-a-month hair progress log that my hair was where it was the month before (yes...a wee bit frustrating). Than it occurred to me that it has stalled. However, I don't know how long hair stalls for. Is there a "Hair Stall" thread?

Reppyboyo
March 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
It appears my 'stall' has lasted 2 years then.
Its never got beyond the bottom of my shoulder blades (when straightened).

Disappointingly, it appears I have reached my terminal length. :(

elina333
March 24th, 2010, 01:33 AM
How come you're not using conditioner? I would probably start if I were you, cause it helps protect the hair. Maybe use a little coconut oil as well as a leave-in after washing? Also, do you keep it down a lot? Do you use flat irons or such? Are you eating enough and getting all the proper nutrition? Its really important to eat healthy and especially lots of protein! And bananas are really good for your hair as they contain lots of "hair candy" :D And dont worryy, it WILL grow! ;)

Good luck to you! :flowers:

lesbia
March 24th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Me too :( be patience...

Vermelha
March 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Oh, I'm definitely stalling and I take vitamins for the hair. It's just a phase that the hair goes through. It lasts about a good 2-4 months, but that would have just been about an inch or two. I'd say let it ride for now and experiment with some nice updos and try out new conditioners that will help nourish your hair and prevent breakage.

I was hardheaded and stopped using conditioner for a while and experienced lots of breakage. I learned and now my ends look better and no more knots (though I'm sure you don't have that issue). Anywho, while your hair is resting, you should take a break from your hair too.

Mindfields
March 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Yep I know whatcha mean. I just got out of a nasty stall several months ago. I was sure I had reached the most pathetic terminal length in history, but it's picking up again.