PDA

View Full Version : Straightening Hair SOO Frustrated!

OhMyCurlz
March 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Okay, I have noticed this weird pattern with my hair and I wanted to know if any of you guys had any tips. I have 3c curly hair, I don't clip my ends very often (very rarely actually...usually only when I straighten which is maybe once every three months). Every time I straighten my hair, I have really weird crispity crunchy ends that dont straighten but just frizz out. The rest of my hair smooths straight perfectly when I flat iron but the ends are a mess unless I cut them. My problem is that I'm having to cut off about an inch every time making it so I'm stunted to the same hair length (or around the same hair length). Do you think that this is just a "buildup" of me not cutting my ends for such long periods of times? I'm thinking that that may be what it is, but it's super frustrating. Any advice would be appreciated. :D

chopandchange
March 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
It sounds like your ends are damaged or dry, maybe due to the straightening. But since you're only doing it every three months, it's unlikely that it's only due to that.

What else do you do to your hair? What is your "routine?"

LadyJennifer
March 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Maybe buildup? When my hair was long, I very rarely flat ironed it, but when I did, my ends were like that. I thought it was damaged then, but I knew nothing of 'cones and build-up etc. then. I got trims pretty often too.

OhMyCurlz
March 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM
My routine is really simple, I typically apply castor oil to my hair focusing on my ends and keep it twisted. My hair doesn't feel or look damage at ALL until I flat iron it, and it's only the ends.

I've flat ironed hair with straight dimethicone before and realize that that could possibly be the issue. When I apply product to my hair while wet and then blow dry straighten I don't have this problem as nearly as much. Hmmm.