PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove paint from hair?

renarok
May 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
I backed into a wet wall yesterday, and of course my hair was down. I have a fair amount of off white flat wall paint on my hair. I am going to try a really heavy oiling. Any other tips?

NenNa
May 3rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
If you don't mind looking a little excentric for a couple of days, the paint probably will go brittle as it dryes more and come off by itself. At least that's my experience...

renarok
May 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks, I think that might be happening now! Little flakes onto my black sweatshirt. How annoying.

AlleyKitten
May 3rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Oiling is good -- regular house paint is latex-based, and oil helps break that down. Other than that, I've had luck with putting a lot of conditioner in my hair and picking the largest blobs of paint out, then shampooing extensively, then more conditioner, et cetera.

Kelpie
May 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
I've had paint on my hair before. I didn't wash it out but once it was dry I found each strand or hairs stuck together and scraped the paint off with my fingernails. It just kinda slid off. Maybe brushing would also work in this way.

jesamyn
May 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
I got white latex primer in my hair once, but it wasn't very much. It flaked out after a couple of days.

Rosamaria
May 4th, 2008, 02:13 AM
You can easily strip it off each strand (working from top to bottom): a bit laborious, but effective. If you've got too much paint on your hair for that to be a good way to deal with it, I would try oil like the others have suggested. I use plain kitchen olive oil to get paint off my hands. I discovered the effectiveness of this by accident. It works as well as white spirit but is MUCH kinder on the hands. I see no reason why oiling your hair followed by washing shouldn't work a treat! :)

n3m3sis42
May 4th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I don't know anything about removing paint, but one time some jerk left GUM on one of the benches at my gym (guess how I found this out). As a result, I now know that the old story about peanut butter removing gum from your hair is actually true.

...Although I'm guessing that it worked because of the oils, so maybe coconut oil would have worked too?