PDA

View Full Version : Is thick hair universally desired?

Siowiel
March 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM
On the boards and in front of my mirror (especially there!) can be frequently heard: "My hair is so thin, updos look minuscule, braids ridiculous and worn open, the hair looks stringy!"

I will never-ever sport a mane like Princess Leia's (ok it was a wig anyway), no matter how good care I take of my hair and how many scalp massages I give myself, so I am trying to make peace with my hair. Not very successful yet, I'm preparing for a whiny post on my lac of thickness as soon as I can get somebody to take pictures.

On the boards here, there are of course people who like their thin hair (when I say thin/thick, I do not mean fin/coarse), but I'm quite interested in the question if there are cultures past or present where women desired to have rather thin than thick hair? This questioned posed itself to me because it seems to me that the current western culture prefers thick hair, although not to excess.

Darkhorse1
March 17th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I would guess it does come from the past and literature. In many cultures, even going back to Christ, women's hair was considered their vanity/femeninity (hence why women's hair was shaved off as a punishment) If you look at art, all the women, for the exception of Joan of Arc, had long locks (joan did, but cut hers to fight).

I would venture to guess that as time marched on, the sight of long, thick hair was a sign of health as well.

Over time, though, women became independant and chose to have different styles and cuts. I do believe I read somewhere that women in the 40s, when they went to work during WW2, had to cut their hair, (hence that cut that I'm blanking on right now), became in fashion because of them working on the factory lines and safety issues.

I also think that we, as humans, will always desire things we don't have. Especially when it comes to apperance. I mean, some people want thicker hair, some want straighter, some want curlier, some want to have less, some want to have more. I guess that's human nature?

I love the photo in your avatar :)

JamieLeigh
March 17th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I think it's all in the eye of the beholder. There are some thick-haired people on here who lament that their hair isn't thin enough to do some of the updos properly.

The grass-is-greener mentality, in my opinion. :)

Nae
March 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Well, there were times when higher foreheads were in vogue. During the time of Queen Elizabeth. I would imagine that would have cut down on the thickness, maybe that is where we get the term "high brow" who knows?

I do believe though overall that thick hair is almost universally desired because it is proof of good health. In the past our ancestors would have found people with thicker hair attractive because in a world where food was hard to come by and medical care was primitive, having a mate with hair like that would be an indicator of good health and help make sure that the next generation was possible. When our ancestors are more likely to gravitate to something so are we, whether we are aware of it or not.

I am not saying it is all about the attractiveness of a potential mate and it is just a theory, but it makes sense to me.

naereid
March 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Thick hair looks nicer than thin hair in the same way that the tree in this picture (http://www.dennispanuarborist.com/about.html) looks more beautiful than the tree in this picture (http://landscaping.about.com/od/floweringtrees/ig/flowering-tree-pictures/Apple-Trees.htm). :grnbiggri So full, so rich, so BEAUTIFUL! That's just the way most people are wired, I think.

rags
March 17th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Thick hair looks nicer than thin hair in the same way that the tree in this picture (http://www.dennispanuarborist.com/about.html) looks more beautiful than the tree in this picture (http://landscaping.about.com/od/floweringtrees/ig/flowering-tree-pictures/Apple-Trees.htm). :grnbiggri So full, so rich, so BEAUTIFUL! That's just the way most people are wired, I think.

Wow. I'm just...wow. Ok. Now I remember why I never post pics on the main boards.......

ETA: I think both the trees are beautiful - in different ways.

Igor
March 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I think it’s a general health indicator we are genetically programmed to be attracted to. In case of severe sickness hair growth will be stunted, you shed more or the mane grows dull. Thick, glossy hair indicates that you get enough (and the right) nutrition, you’re fit and healthy and you have the time and energy to take good care of yourself
Its something instinctive we use to judge the health of a person just like women are attracted to muscular (=Fit, a better provider) men and men are attracted to women with the hourglass figure (= Healthy, childbearing figure)

Deimos
March 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I personally envy those with thick hair because I have thin and not much hair. But I have a few friends that told me that they couldn't grow their hair beyond waist because it was too heavy (they both have huge amounts of thick hair)
So yeah I think that having M/ii hair may be best :P

getoffmyskittle
March 17th, 2010, 10:23 AM
No, it is not even close to universally desired. In very, very general terms, those with average-to-thick hair seem to be able to grow their hair longer because thick hair can sustain more taper, but of course there are other factors (like rate of taper/terminal length of each hair) and we have a good number of average-thickness people with super-long hair. However, in the off-LHC world, many people don't like thick hair because it doesn't always sit as well in shorter styles.

I think you will find that there are VERY few characteristics that are "universally" desired. :)

Juneii
March 17th, 2010, 10:30 AM
we all want things we don't have. I mostly like my thick hair but updos are really hard to do - I couldn't make a bun until I was at bsl-mid back! :(
That and others with less thickness but the same length hair as mine seem to have longer hair than I do. I don't even know how to explain that, I feel that because my hair is thicker it makes the length look shorter.
Not to mention it's pretty heavy, I don't know how to evenly distribute the weight on my buns so many times it pulls on my scalp and really hurt.

apart from that, I do value my thick hair a lot :D

Nightshade
March 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM
. In very, very general terms, those with average-to-thick hair seem to be able to grow their hair longer because thick hair can sustain more taper, but of course there are other factors (like rate of taper/terminal length of each hair) and we have a good number of average-thickness people with super-long hair.

I think this has a lot to do with it. I'm on the thick side of ii, and with my taper and layers my ends are see-through at classic. Once my layers are grown out, I'm pretty sure I could be solid but thinner at classic, and could probably make it to fingertip and be in the "what Nightshade thinks looks good on her" range of thickness at the ends.

If my goal were floor, I don't think my thickness can sustain it.

There's a flip side to thick hair too, though, the weight for some with tender heads can be overwhelming, and you can get what is lovingly called "bun eats back of head" syndrome.

Really, there's pros and cons to any thickness, but I think it just depends on what your goals are :)

Bethany44
March 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have always wanted thick hair - or just some hair with some texture. But I have fine hair. My sister in law has thick, long, curly hair and she is always saying she'd prefer thin hair. I call her crazy. But yes, I think people desire what they don't have.

After spending the last few weeks on LHC, I am gaining new appreciation for thinner, straight hair. I look at photos of people with hair just like mine and say, "wow, that really is beautiful"!

Yarn Muse
March 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
In general, I think people prefer thicker hair over thinner. I am not sure why. It could be as a PP said, that we view it desirable because it is a sign of good health.

However, I think ANY hair...thick, thin, straight, wavy, any color, can look gorgeous if well-cared for. I appreciate the beauty of healthy locks of any kind, esp. since joining LHC and seeing so many different, wonderful heads of hair.

naereid
March 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Wow. I'm just...wow. Ok. Now I remember why I never post pics on the main boards.......

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my post, I didn't mean to.

Lamb
March 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM
No, it is not. I do admire thick hair, especially fine and thick hair (you need more of fine hair to achieve an iii circumference than you need of coarse hair). But average, or less than average thickness can look every bit as sleek, healthy, flowing as thick hair.
And if you look at medieval or renaissance paintings, you'll see relatively few ladies with what we now call a rich mane. Try to hairtype the Madonna in these two paintings:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/Cheeseistheword/lhc-lamb-madonna1.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/Cheeseistheword/lhc-lamb-madonna2.jpg

(ETA: The first is a detail from a painting by Van Eyck, the second is a painting by Hans Memling, /ETA)

And the Virgin has always been represented as a woman of exemplary physical beauty in religious art (and literature). Thick hair has not always been such an essential component of ideal female beauty as in the nineteenth century.

xoxophelia
March 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM
It depends on what look you are going for. I would note the elves in LOTR didn't have very thick hair, but it was beautiful. Hair that isn't thick has more of an ethereal floaty look to me.

Bethie
March 17th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I think that people have associated "thick hair" with good health, like others have said. However more than the thickness, I think people look at the shine as a indicator of prettiness.

princessp
March 17th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Personally, I love straight, black, shiny (think Asian) hair. Basically the exact opposite from mine :D So, I think it's more a case of we all want what we don't have.

IndigoAsh
March 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I have fairly thick hair and I love it!! I don't think it's too heavy. Though it can be kind of a pain to try and figure out ways to go about doing nice hair styles that don't fall down from the weight after like 2 minutes.

akurah
March 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
If thick hair were universally desired I doubt there would be techniques to thin hair, and I don't know if undercuts would have gotten as popular as they did in the 90s...

missjessiecakes
March 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have really thick hair without layers it starts hurting me at BSL. I wish it grew a little less thick but I can have layers and if that means I have messy buns and braids I am fine with that. I am going to be a kindergarten teacher so its not overly important for me to look sleek as long as I look put together.

The thing is you get what you get and I know some i heads that I love as well as all the others if not better in some cases.

I dont believe it to be a universally desired trait.

Honey39
March 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I prefer thinner hair. I have thick, coarse hair, and I have always loved that shiny, sleek, slithery hair - it has its own beauty that I like a lot. I love the silkiness of thinner hair, and the way it can fall. I think my hair can look bushy a lot of the time, and is too hot, too frizzy and too...blah! I had a friend with silky, fine hair that was absolutely gorgeous - she wouldn't even have to blow dry it, it would dry within twenty minutes.

As for the tree pics - to be honest, I think they are both beautiful, I wouldn't choose one as more beautiful than the other! :-)

Mamakash
March 17th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I don't think very fine hair is preferred by most women, but I can't say that, on the flip side, they want really thick hair. People with thick hair try to play it down as much as those with thin hair play it up. Some of the girls I work with have curls and heads of hair to envy, and I'm always amazed when they occasionally straighten their hair. Sometimes they would prefer to have hair like mine, smooth and straight . . . but I've always craved spiral curls.

I looked at a few picts of Victoria Secret models on the net . . . I can't say they have hair I'd envy. It's nothing spectacular. I remember the late 70's and 80's. Now THAT was hair. I could never achieve hair like that. Thick hair was a must back then.

jera
March 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
If thick hair were universally desired I doubt there would be techniques to thin hair, and I don't know if undercuts would have gotten as popular as they did in the 90s...

This makes sense. :rolleyes:

I don't think very fine hair is preferred by most women, but I can't say that, on the flip side, they want really thick hair. People with thick hair try to play it down as much as those with thin hair play it up.

This is true too, however, I'd like my medium hair to be thicker. Just never satisfied I guess. :p

Xandergrammy
March 17th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Me too! :flower:

Norai
March 17th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I would love thick hair.

Tangles
March 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I don't think very fine hair is preferred by most women, but I can't say that, on the flip side, they want really thick hair.

This. Aesthetically speaking, I think a middle ground is preferable in the majority of cases. For example, though most people don't want a big nose, a very small nose isn't necessarily attractive either. I'm not saying that extremes can't also be attractive, just that on average more people want "normal" traits than extreme ones (I think).

Fractalsofhair
March 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I think people prefer it when a woman isn't balding at the top of her head, which is what thin hair means to me, because of extensions and dye and such in excess. I personally wish my hair was thinner so I don't get triangle hair without curls! XD

LadyJennifer
March 17th, 2010, 03:32 PM

I think both trees are equally as beautiful, just in different ways.

LadyJennifer
March 17th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I have fairly thick hair and I love it!! I don't think it's too heavy. Though it can be kind of a pain to try and figure out ways to go about doing nice hair styles that don't fall down from the weight after like 2 minutes.
I agree. I love my hair (texture, thickness, etc), I would not trade it for anyone else's, even though I might admire theirs. So for me, it is not a case of what I don't have.

Akiko
March 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Not where I am from. In Japan, thick hair is not desired as far as I am aware of. Girls like to have thinned out and layered hair. Straight hair with blunt ends like mine is not so popular. Go figure. :(

chopandchange
March 17th, 2010, 03:43 PM
There seems to be a bit of confusion here.

Are we debating the desirability of thick hair in terms of how many strands are on your head, or in terms of the texture of individual hairs?

Some people are discussing the former, some the latter!

Igor
March 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Are we debating the desirability of thick hair in terms of how many strands are on your head, or in terms of the texture of individual hairs?

Also it makes me wonder why people only answer with their own personal preference when the question is “Is thick hair universally desired?”
It’s actually a really interesting question that has ties to genetics and cultural and historical ideals…

MandyBeth
March 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Some of us prefer the second tree if we really have to pick a favorite of the two.

No, I don't think thick hair is universally desired. I think the only universally or common desire with an individual's hair is that they want what they don't have.

Comments on how "oh, you don't really want that" or "You'll wish you hadn't said that" are REALLY pissy. Oh yes I do wish my hair would settle down into a nice M/ii so I could actually not fight it all day long. I also have to learn to realize that no, my hair is not going to magically go to M or C, so I should stop hoping for that and learn to like what I have.

But dang, it's really annoying when my hair eats sticks with glee at chin length. That's not supposed to happen.

Roseate
March 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I do believe though overall that thick hair is almost universally desired because it is proof of good health.

I hear this all the time, and I don't get it.

I have thick hair. I was born that way. No matter how much crap I eat, how little I exercise, how ill I am, I still have thick hair. My aunt has extremely thin hair, you can see her scalp easily. She was born that way and has always been robustly healthy, an athlete, no health concerns whatsoever.

I don't see how hair thickness is a reliable indicator of health, other than to rule out fungal infections of the scalp, severe malnutrition or alopecia. :shrug:

Bellona
March 17th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I don't understand the thick hair = healthy assumption, either. I have always had thick hair, even when I was eating crap or sick. I've seen much thinner hair than mine that appears "healthier" because my hair is thick and M/C which makes it kind of dull.

As for being "universally desired," I have no idea. All I know is that thick hair is a big pain for me at the moment because I cannot get my hair in a bun or decent looking braid, haha.

chotee
March 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I think its cultural too, like in Japan, thin hair is favoured, in india thick hair is the sign of beauty. But ofcourse people are changing with times and many opt for layered hairstyles but generations of tending to long thick hair is inbuilt in the genes and most of the girls have really thick hair. Even though my hair has thinned a great deal, i still prefer to have a fair amount of thickness so my ends don't look really tapered. Personally, more than thickness its the health of the hair its shine, its fall, etc will be a winner i think. I am right now in south east asia and people here have really thin hair and prefer to give a layered style to make it look more thinner. And the shine and color is more important to beauty and desired here...

Igor
March 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM
You can’t possible compare today’s illness and health issues to what has been in the human evolution or historical times and what lousy diet our ancestors had to survive on in bad times

The only thing that could even come close in today’s western society is extreme cases of eating disorders. And there you will see shedding and texture changes

Alia
March 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I do believe I read somewhere that women in the 40s, when they went to work during WW2, had to cut their hair, (hence that cut that I'm blanking on right now), became in fashion because of them working on the factory lines and safety issues.

Actually, I saw a newsreel about this very issue. The short, side-swept peek-a-boo bob popular at the time would fall forward and obscure the war workers' vision, leading to accidents and lost productivity, so star Veronica Lake vowed to keep her hair up for the duration of the war in the hope that other women would do the same. Her APL hair was put up in side twists and a bun, the style bristling with sturdy, sensible pins.

Nae
March 17th, 2010, 07:12 PM
You can’t possible compare today’s illness and health issues to what has been in the human evolution or historical times and what lousy diet our ancestors had to survive on in bad times

The only thing that could even come close in today’s western society is extreme cases of eating disorders. And there you will see shedding and texture changes

Yes, this exactly. I was looking at it from a WAY longer historical perspective, you will get that with a history major.:) True, nowadays thick hair doesn't have as much of an indicator status as it used to but I think it is a preference that is for lack of a better term bred into us, if that makes sense.

If our ancestors preferred thicker (maybe not monster thick) but thicker hair in their mates because it showed they and their family were smart enough to forage properly and were good at providing food for their clan, then over time it could become an inherent preference of the human race. Mates who have the ability to aquire food means the ability to have healthy children. We are talking tens of thousands of years here, not what happened in the last century or even the last millennia.

My take is that some of this "preference" is a vestige of our ancient past when being a human was truly a struggle. The rest is probably cultural. I personally don't care if you have bush growing out of your head or just a few stray hairs, as long as you are happy, I am good.

Roseate
March 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM
But if evolution has designed us to select mates with the thickest hair possible, why hasn't natural selection made us all iii's by now? Or do you suppose the preference is too recent for sexual selection to have worked yet?

jaine
March 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I have always admired thin, wispy hair ... "elf-like" hair.

I like having my ends razored and my hair wet-combed with gel so that it dries flat and wispy.

So no, thick hair is not universally desired. I love making mine look thinner than it actually is.

MandyBeth
March 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM
But if evolution has designed us to select mates with the thickest hair possible, why hasn't natural selection made us all iii's by now? Or do you suppose the preference is too recent for sexual selection to have worked yet?

Under the logic of people picking iii mates over others - isn't that thrown out by people picking mates with less hair over the body?

And you can induce shedding with other medical issues besides eating disorder. Thyroid issues being one that has hair loss as a signal for either hypo or hyper. We may not see a true increase in auto-immune disorders, tho we can diagnosis them now and now we treat them with medications that do cause hair loss. Anti-depressants can also.

Pr0sperity
March 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
This is an interesting question.

In all of my historical novels every time there is a beautiful girl they talk about her long thick hair.

I have very fine hair and I probably only have a medium amount. I always felt a little bad about that because the beautiful women had thick hair. I am glad to hear that there are people who like fine hair and hair that is not so thick.

windchijmes
March 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Well I have thick hair, both in coarseness and volume, lol. Most of the time I actually am at complete peace with my hair. Never had problems with split ends, or bald patches, etc. However, sometimes I do wish my hair is finer. Long fine hair just somehow looks really good. When I grow my hair out, because of its thickness, it can look really uhm, puffy, for lack of a better word. It just poofs out, you know? Plus, thick hair can feel really heavy.

Ah well, we can't have everything, lol. I shall live with what I have.

Igor
March 17th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Because people pair off and mate even if they aren’t “perfectly desirable” but it’s also a question of supply and demand?

And the “thin haired genes” aren’t “bred out” of the population as long as it isn’t a strong disability in your ability to survive

ecologystudent
March 17th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Also because evolution dosen't select for one single trait- it selects for the traits that best help the species survive and reproduce. So, perhaps there is a trade off with hair thickness, and ability to cool, for example. And for every trait, there is an energy/reward trade off- perhaps it doesn't make since to allocate that much of the organism's energy to making thick hair.

Roseate
March 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM
And for every trait, there is an energy/reward trade off- perhaps it doesn't make since to allocate that much of the organism's energy to making thick hair.

I definitely think my energy could be better allocated elsewhere, particularly on some of my bushier mornings!:p

vindo
March 17th, 2010, 09:44 PM
On the boards and in front of my mirror (especially there!) can be frequently heard: "My hair is so thin, updos look minuscule, braids ridiculous and worn open, the hair looks stringy!"

I will never-ever sport a mane like Princess Leia's (ok it was a wig anyway), no matter how good care I take of my hair and how many scalp massages I give myself, so I am trying to make peace with my hair. Not very successful yet, I'm preparing for a whiny post on my lac of thickness as soon as I can get somebody to take pictures.

On the boards here, there are of course people who like their thin hair (when I say thin/thick, I do not mean fin/coarse), but I'm quite interested in the question if there are cultures past or present where women desired to have rather thin than thick hair? This questioned posed itself to me because it seems to me that the current western culture prefers thick hair, although not to excess.

I think thick hair also simply signalizes health in a stone age type of way...

That said, a lot of people make mistakes when pointing out thick hair. Attributes like stringiness, do not even remotely have to do anything with how thick the hair is, neither does volume for example.
So I guess you could say many people just prefer it to look like a lot, but they would not really be able to tell thick from thin with many people.

Example - I had 1" more in thickness before I got sick, yet noone would ever notice because I have straight hair, very slippery, no volume and it gets stringy easily. Now that I have less...its somewhat the same thing..so I wondering , what that 'thickness' is even good for..my hair gets labeled as thin no matter what.

I think its a very controversial topic, and I think many people are too dead set on "thick, thick, thick"..:rolleyes: There is way more things that make a beautiful head of hair.

Beets
March 17th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I don't think it's accurate to say that *anything* about appearance is universally desired. Whatever our genetic coding for preferences is, it takes a back seat to our cultural conditioning. It's sometimes fun to speculate how and why certain features came to be considered desirable, but I think it mostly comes down to what you're taught--explicitly or implicitly--is "beautiful."

Beets
March 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Actually, I saw a newsreel about this very issue. The short, side-swept peek-a-boo bob popular at the time would fall forward and obscure the war workers' vision, leading to accidents and lost productivity, so star Veronica Lake vowed to keep her hair up for the duration of the war in the hope that other women would do the same. Her APL hair was put up in side twists and a bun, the style bristling with sturdy, sensible pins.

Wow, cool.

Darkhorse1
March 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I think long hair has more bearing in history than thick hair. From an article I read, long hair was tied into virginity/femininity. I mean, if you look at artwork, all the women have long flowing hair. Do we notice the thickness? In fact, it's probably not thick.

Oddly enough, women in history most likely had poor nutrition due to the lack of knowledge and ability to get food that kept you healthy. Given that, plus the hard life you had to lead, their hair looked long and shiny due to lack of shampoo and things we do to it today (yes, plow the fields, take care of 16 kids and flat iron your hair ;) )

I don't think I've seen any culture or anything in history that prided short hair. In fact, short hair seemed to define punishment to women.

So if we are speaking about thick hair universally, we'd have to get many cultures to answer this question. I found it fascinating that someone here from Japan said that women don't like their hair thick/straight. I think for current women today, all over the world, most women would buckled under fashions of today--whatever is current is what people want. As well as the fact taht with today's world, it's so much faster paced, something 'quick and easy' is also desired. Of course, long hair is fast, but thick hair? Not so much.

I think it goes deeper than the world--it's human nature. We see things we admire--from hair, clothing, cars, color of eyes, size of breasts---hair is no different.

--thankyou for that style of hair from the 40s! I do remember Veronica Lake's influence and I also believe that's when the snood resurfaced for functional hair styles on the line during WW2.

-to comment on someone else--with high brows so popular in fashion, women most likely had threading done to their hair line to pull it back or shaved it. I also know thinning sheers were used on my hair when I was growing up. Ugh....

IcarusBride
March 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I'd like thinER hair (than I have now) but I don't necessarily want 'thick hair', it seems that it could quite easily become unmanageable. I quite enjoy the texture of my hair, I just wish it were the same thickness all the way down, rather than tapering as much as it does.

autumnsdaughter
March 18th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I don't think so. I am as easily attracted by thin, glossy hair that is delicate and lovely, as I am to course braids that look as thick as ropes. They each have their allure, and I think individuality is way more attractive than some agreed-upon "universally-desired" hair type/thickness/color/whatever. It is the unique and diverse qualities of people that make them interesting and attractive.

Katurday
March 18th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Thick hair once upon a time was considered a sign of "this female is not completely starving therefore her hair is not falling out in clumps therefore she is fertile". The question arises "what constitutes thick". Our scalp hair is very closely knit, even on i to ii scalps. Perhaps what we consider thin was thick in the caveman age. For all we know, thin was...Creepy giant bald patches with wisps of strands scattered about. Long, healthy hair is beautiful in 99.9% of culture. Getting too caught up in thickness/thinness is just negative vibes.

As a person with iii hair, I experience thin sadness as well, because my slippery straight hair looks not even close to its true thickness. I don't get the heavy awesome look of iii hair, but I get all the delays in up dos, headaches, etc. FUN.

Ksenia
March 18th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I know what my preferences are - opposite of what I have, of course! Well, I have a lot of hair, but it's extremely fine. My students are often shocked when they see me with my hair down for the first time because they didn't know I was hiding so much hair up on my head.

But in Ukraine, young women were traditionally considered to be more appealing based on how golden and thick their braid was, hence the traditional blonde "coronet" hairstyle that former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko adopted when she was first trying to improve her nationalist credentials (see photo here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/18/russia-ukraine-gas-deal)). And no, it's not a clip-on piece (though whether she has extensions for added volume is another matter), she was once dared to take it down on national tv because her opponents were claiming that it was fake.

Thick hair tends to indicate a diet high in protein (or just lucky genetics!), plus in all of my fantasising about having thicker hair it also means that hairstyles can be more creative and fun. Plus, isn't thicker hair more resilient against breakage?

So apparently fine hair is desirable in Japan, anywhere else?

Hi LHC! First post! I was planning on introducing myself on the introductory board but this post caught my eye.

HintOfMint
March 18th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Stone Age perspective: I will admit that thick hair has a certain extra allure in that it signifies a "luxurious" feel the same way many sorts of excess do. Hair on our heads have very little to do with keeping us warm. So considering that it's not practical to have a huge mane of hair, its almost a prideful handicap, similar to a peacock tail. "I'm so fit that I can afford to deliver nutrients to maintain my hair, and then some." Also hair tends to thin and change texture as we get older, which can make it a fertility indicator. Does it ACTUALLY signify health and fertility? Not really. As long as it's not thin-ING (as in having bald spots, receding hairline, widening part, drastic sudden loss...etc), as it would from sickness, lack of nutrition, or aging, it doesn't matter much, health wise. But sexual selection is as much about PERSPECTIVE as it is about actual representation of health and fertility. In caveman speak, "Hair: good, more hair: better!"
However, from a modern viewpoint, I would not say that non-thick hair suffers a detraction because thick hair has its perks. After all, curls tend to make hair look bigger and thicker, but so many women straighten their hair for that perfectly flat as a windowpane look. Also,there are many other factors that go into attractiveness within the hair category: shine, length, lack of damage... etc. And as far as overall attractiveness, I don't think hair thickness is a dealbreaker for anyone. Again, save for bald spots and the like, it probably has no overall bearing.

I think its a very controversial topic, and I think many people are too dead set on "thick, thick, thick"..:rolleyes: There is way more things that make a beautiful head of hair. To add to this statement, there are way more things that make a lovely person. I don't mean this in a condescending way. I say this because while we are quick to bemoan certain "flaws" and a lot of evolutionary biology and psychology tends to only reinforce a lot of our insecurities, I believe that perspective is necessary.

ilovelonghair
March 18th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I don't know if this has been added yet:
thin hair seems to be the fashion now amongst some groups of people, the razor-ed very extremely tapered look that is flat ironed.
I don't like that look, it looks like their hair has gone trough a massive shedding episode, because it doesn't look like a natural taper.

Personally I would want thicker hair, so I could grow it longer. With my hair type I don't think I can grow it as long as I want it. At the other hand, my hair takes ages to dry, so it can't be that thin.

It depends on what look you are going for. I would note the elves in LOTR didn't have very thick hair, but it was beautiful. Hair that isn't thick has more of an ethereal floaty look to me.

Yes that is certainly true, it did look nice, only Galadriel had really thick wavy hair (to be seriously envious off, but must have been fake :D)

I've been wondering the same, as well as why baldness in men hasn't been selected out. Some people think that people died so early that they died before they could go bald and that's how the genes stayed. I have heard there is a type of monkeys that have the same genes so males go bald (on their head), so it might have been genes that go down very long in evolution. I never understood the whole things of going bald, what purpose would that have? If hair is supposed to show health, being bald is not a good thing.

But what I was also thinking: wouldn't people's hair have been extremely matted and dreadlocked? Did they have time to take care of it?

VenusHalley
March 18th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I don't know if this has been added yet:
thin hair seems to be the fashion now amongst some groups of people, the razor-ed very extremely tapered look that is flat ironed.
I don't like that look, it looks like their hair has gone trough a massive shedding episode, because it doesn't look like a natural taper.

I hate this look. That's why I avoid hairdressers, because over here all hairdressers seem to think hair needs to be "thinned to make it lighter (less heavy)".

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorists, but I believe this trend was invented by jealous thin-haired *women* in order to make everyone's hair look bad, so their hair does not look as bad. Long hair should have some volume, imho and I don't see a point of thinning it.

LucyHope
March 18th, 2010, 04:16 AM
In all of my historical novels every time there is a beautiful girl they talk about her long thick hair.

I think that depends on whether you're talking about historical="set in an earlier time" or historical="written a long time ago". :)

There have been many times and places where lawmakers and moralists have railed against the use of fake hair by women, so we can assume thick hair was valued at least in the upper-classes as far back as the European Middle Ages.

But historically, length of hair has been of more importance than thickness - this is especially so in societies where hair is an indication of emancipation (shorn heads, especially on women, have often indicated slaves, criminals, or asylum inmates) or has spiritual significance (and to remove it is to remove one's power/mana/etc.).

I think for thickness (define "thick"!), the distinction can be drawn at hairstyling. For those whose lives include greater attention to cosmetic (as opposed to hygienic) grooming (Read: upper/middle classes), thick hair is an asset only when it assists in attaining the current hairstyle. Think of Elizabethan puffs, Restoration curls, Gibson Girl coiffes, 60s bouffants... When current hair fashions are sleek (20s bobs, 30s waves, 60s mod looks, the "Rachel" in the 90s), thick hair is a liability, not an asset. And for women throughout history for whom survival was more important than hairstyling, I guess thickness was about wanting either "a happy medium" or "the grass is greener" - much like us now. ;)

Personally, I'm okay with having iii hair, although it only really comes into its own at APL or longer - anything shorter and I get The Dreaded Triangle Shape, or spend forever getting it thinned and trimmed and straightened and covered in gooey gooey product...

So --> No, thicker is not universally desired, especially not at this point in fashion history! :p

Nae
March 18th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I've been wondering the same, as well as why baldness in men hasn't been selected out. Some people think that people died so early that they died before they could go bald and that's how the genes stayed. I have heard there is a type of monkeys that have the same genes so males go bald (on their head), so it might have been genes that go down very long in evolution. I never understood the whole things of going bald, what purpose would that have? If hair is supposed to show health, being bald is not a good thing.

I would agree with this but from a historical perspective people were regularly pairing off in their teenage years, so baldness at the age of childbearing wouldn't have been as much as an issue therefore passing on those genes. I would venture to guess any bald 16 or 17 year old would have trouble getting a girl or boyfriend. The age factor is also important. The thicker hair of the young as opposed to the thinner hair of the older folks would be preferred in a mate for the links to fertility. "I am young! I can have babies and if the first couple babies don't make it I am young enough to keep going!!"

And I would like to say that I am not talking about super thick hair here, I am talking about anything that isn't falling out in clumps, that looks shiny and healthy. I would venture to guess that most of the hair thickness we have now would be pretty darn attractive to our ancestors. Think of is as the thickness of the LoTR elves, which is beautiful, in comparison to the hair thickness of Gollum. At some point it doesn't look that healthy. Gollum's hair wouldn't have been totally out there for those who have continual nutritional deficiencies. Now imagine that on a 13 year old girl and think about the likelyhood that she is going to pass on her genes.......

GlassEyes
March 18th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Honestly, if i didn't want a classic-length braid without taper, I would care less about thickness (except if I started losing hair--that'd be bad). :shrug: My hair looks fine down and in buns with the thickness I have, and I'm happy with that--but for some reason, I have braid anorexia...

Also, I'll state that I have far from thick hair. The ii moniker has a pretty wide berth--I'm about in the middle of the spectrum at 3.5-ish.

Beets
March 18th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I think there's an underlying fallacy in the natural selection hypothesis. One's overall "attractiveness" doesn't correlate at all with fertility, infant survival rate, or trait inheritance. For example, isn't the gene for male pattern baldness carried by the mother? So it couldn't be selected out, unless men began to assiduously avoid procreating with women whose fathers were bald.

It has been my observation that males--and females for that matter--don't assiduously avoid the *act* of procreation for very much. And I'd bet willing to be that "has parts, is willing to use them" has been, historically, enough for a baby to be made.

CaityBear
March 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I envy those with thick hair because my hair is thin. But then again I just want *some* thickness. Just a little bit more. But yet I'm still happy with mine. Probably a lot of because I can't get that thickness any time soon. haha

Capybara
March 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
It's all relative. I enjoy my thick hair (although I am on the thinner side of ii, with just under a 4.5" ponytail circumference), but when it comes to up-do's, sometimes I thinl they would work better with thinner hair, and sometimes I think they would work better with my hair type.

Diversity is the spice of life, though - I think that thin, normal, and thick hair are all equally attractive, just in different ways!

Igor
March 18th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I've been wondering the same, as well as why baldness in men hasn't been selected out. Some people think that people died so early that they died before they could go bald and that's how the genes stayed

That, and again, male baldness patterns doesn’t affect the ability to survive

Darkhorse1
March 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Actually, my hair keeps me warm :) That's why in the summer, I wet it down when at horse shows, and keep it off the back of my neck, but I have a lot of hair :) (not complaining at all ;) )

klcqtee
March 18th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I have thick hair (6.5" circumference), and I've got to say, people may aspire for thick hair, but it's not what's popular.

Many times I have tried to get that piece-y layered look (like Ashlee Simpson often sports), and failed miserably. Sure, the layers are there, but they fade into the underside of my hair, and it just looks like one tangled mass of hair! Super sleek, straight hair? Even with a flat iron, my hair poofs out. It's straight, but gives me triangle head because there's just too much to lay flat (maybe that's just me though?).

Plus, there are hair toys that aren't an option - such as banana clips! I had to wait until BSL until I was barely able to make a rose bun, and it looks awful to boot. My english braid has about 4 obese bumps, but is super short.

I suppose thick hair is popular because not a lot of people have it, and it can take more damage. In the states (not sure about else where), it's common for most women to dye, heat style, chemically perm or straighten, and blow dryer their hair regularly. The more hair you have to start with, the more you can afford to lose when it comes to damage. What they don't understand is that thick damaged hair grows horizontal!

Igor
March 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM
To compare today’s living standards to previous generations, it wasn’t even known that women hit menopause until the end of medieval times. Before that, the general population simply didn’t survive long enough

maria_asa
March 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM

I hate this look. That's why I avoid hairdressers, because over here all hairdressers seem to think hair needs to be "thinned to make it lighter (less heavy)".

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorists, but I believe this trend was invented by jealous thin-haired *women* in order to make everyone's hair look bad, so their hair does not look as bad. Long hair should have some volume, imho and I don't see a point of thinning it.

Wow, I'm just chocked to read this. Not all people have the same taste and I'm sure that the people with the style you describes wears it because they like it and not because some thin-hair women forced a trend on them. Why is it so hard to imagine that there are people in this world who doesn't want thick hair?

xoxophelia
March 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I think it would be interesting to look at straight vs. curly hair in this thickness debate.

As Emichee was saying, even though her hair was thick, because it was straight, people would not see it as thick due to decreased volume. But on the other side of things, straight hair tends to be more shiny due to the structure of the hair follicle which is a sign of health.

Curly hair, even if it is not thick by LHC classifications, can LOOK thick because the volume it creates. While it is a bit harder for curly hair to have the same amount of shine as straight hair, this is also a sign of health.

So both textures have their benefits for sure. And, the cutural tendency to go one way or the other shifts. In the 80's it was very much so about volume and lots of it. But then recently (and I think this is shifting), as straight as possible has been in vogue to get the sleek shiny look. Thoughts?

zombi
March 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I don't know about "universally", but I do know that I, personally, HATE how thin my hair is. I do have problems with the scalp showing sometimes. It's ugly to me. I know it looks fine to other people, but I don't really care about what other people think about my hair -- it looks ugly to me, therefore it bothers me. However, it's not really gonna get any thicker, and that's okay. I can and will live with that.

I don't know if thin or thick hair is "better" than the other, I think it's just a matter of personal preference? I have heard thick-haired friends complain before because their hair is so heavy and so on...

Darkhorse1
March 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I remember seeing something on a science channel about beauty. in the eyes of humans, we see balance and equate it with beauty. So, if we are scientifically thinking thick vs thin hair, thick hair would give the illusion of balance--you wouldn't see through it, and it looks full etc.

Now, when the OP asked about thick hair desired--does this mean the look of thick hair, or actual thick hair. I love my hair looking full, but to have very thick hair, I think, would be very uncomfortable with my life style.

I was refering to the past/history as an indicator of what was 'desired'. If we figure it's society that stipulates fashion, if we look at art and history, we see trends and long hair was definatley desired. But, thick hair? often, I see most famous paintings or those in history with what I would call thinner hairr, due to a taper etc. If you look at waterhouse paintings, even the Mona Lisa. Do we have any famous artwork today that depicts women with thicker hair? I don't know--I only know the ones from wayy back when ;) I'm old :D

VenusHalley
March 19th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Wow, I'm just chocked to read this. Not all people have the same taste and I'm sure that the people with the style you describes wears it because they like it and not because some thin-hair women forced a trend on them. Why is it so hard to imagine that there are people in this world who doesn't want thick hair?

Because many people simply follow the trends. I really doubt there is too many people who would wear crocs if they did not see them in some fashion magazines first. Maybe there are few women who would wear thinned out hair anyways, but most of them just follow the trends...

GlassEyes
March 19th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Because many people simply follow the trends. I really doubt there is too many people who would wear crocs if they did not see them in some fashion magazines first. Maybe there are few women who would wear thinned out hair anyways, but most of them just follow the trends...
I'm going to use one of my new favorite terms to describe this. Have you taken the biscuit!? Why the hell would CROCS be in a fashion magazine!? :lol:

But, uh, I will say that to me, your theory is rather insulting. I don't think that people with 'thin' hair started the trend because they were envious. I always thought it started as a way to get hair straightened faster, or at least, that was part of the reason.

Capybara
March 19th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I think some people get their hair thinned because it's too difficult for them to manage. I've had people tell me that my hair would be much easier to manage if it were thinned. I tried thinning it (never again :p ) but it grew back in relatively quickly, and I like my hair's natural volume better, on me at least. I guess it's just personal preference - if your ponytail is too heavy for you to stand properly, it may make sense to get it thinned so you don't get neck problems. Thinning does, as GlassEyes said, make it esier to straighten and style your hair :) So, it could be more of a practical thing, no? I know my hair *looked* really nice when it was thinned, but I missed my ponytail that could take out a raging bull :p

Some of the most gorgeous hair I've seen has been quite thin, and some of it has been quite thick. Different people look good with different hairstyles. :cheese:

rags
March 19th, 2010, 07:01 AM

Bolding mine. This is the second quote in this thread which has flat out stated that thin hair looks bad. I am afraid I have to disagree, and think that these statements are incredibly rude while I am at it.

ETA: If that's your opinion, fine. We all have our preferences for hair. I understand that. I simply think it's a rude thing to say on a hair forum!

curlylocks85
March 19th, 2010, 07:18 AM
On myself, I like my hair. My hair has always been thick and I am grateful for that.

On other women, I do not care either way, it is not my hair.

On men though, I prefer thick full hair. I never noticed until I read this post, but all my previous relationships were with men who had a full head of thick hair. :hmm:

Melisande
March 19th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I don't think that there is such a thing as "universally desired". Nature and evolution prefer a wide spectrum of characteristics - every living population's characteristics fall in a bell curve, there is no single one characteristic that is universally desired. And hair thickness is only one trait among many that make a person attractive or unattractive.

I have hair that just falls into the iii range but it's definitely not thick. It's tapered, too. I heard many times that I have thin hair because it's straight, and it falls straight down. So it's a matter of hair structure and growth pattern, too.

I'm not a big fan of the layered, thinned out cuts fashionable at the moment but I believe that others have their right for hairstyle choices just as I have, and if they like it, that's fine. It's proof that there is no universal preference for thick hair.

I like to see hair in a natural state, longish to long, healthy and happily taken care of - hair that expresses that its wearer likes it and doesn't feel the need to manipulate endlessly. But I see my hair preference as what it is - just a personal preference, and I don't want to judge others who have different preferences.

Hair thickness plays absolutely no role in my taste. Thin or thick circumference can look lovely. Fine hair and coarse hair can look good. My husband is going bald and it never disturbed me, I knew it was in his family's gene pool to go bald early and I still think he's an incredibly attractive guy (the hair he has is thick, coarse and curly - very lovely).

I think hair thickness is over-valued. I'm glad my hair has returned after a shedding spell some years ago to its former circumference but I'm not envious of people who have more than I do.

And I don't buy the thick hair-health connection either.

florenonite
March 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Well, there were times when higher foreheads were in vogue. During the time of Queen Elizabeth. I would imagine that would have cut down on the thickness, maybe that is where we get the term "high brow" who knows?

Hang on, it's the time of Queen Elizabeth right now, where are all the high foreheads? :silly:

Yeah, I know you're talking about the English Elizabeth I, not the British Elizabeth II, it's just I tend to think of the latter first when I hear "Queen Elizabeth", so I had a moment of "huh?" when I read your post :)

I'm pretty sure the OP said that she was talking about thickness as in circumference, not texture :)

I think this view doesn't give women very much credit, and frankly I'm appalled. I'm sure there are some women who follow fashions simply because they're fashionable; however most women I know follow some fashion trends because they see them, like them, and they suit them. I think there is an element of exposure involved, for instance people of my generation think 80s fashions were horrendous, yet if someone from the 80s travelled to our time they'd likelyfind the things we wear ridiculous. Additionally, when I first saw the skirt & leggings combo four years ago, I thought it was weird. Now that I've seen women wear it frequently, I can appreciate there are practicalities to it and, while I might not wear it myself, I don't think it looks weird anymore and, indeed, on some people, it can look quite nice. So through being exposed to it I've become familiarised with it and don't think it's quite so strange.

If I were to cut my hair into a bob, I would certainly get it thinned out. Why? Because I have a long face and so I wouldn't like the way thick, bushy ear-length hair would look on me. More importantly, I would find hair that didn't lie flat cumbersome, because it would be more likely to get in the way.

I got a pair of crocs back in 2005, but for years now they've been relegated to canoe-tripping only (one of their original purposes), simply because they're fashionable. I'll concede I'm a bit odd like that, but I most definitely didn't buy my crocs because they were in a magazine. I bought them at the recommendation of a friend for practical reasons only .

Nae
March 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hang on, it's the time of Queen Elizabeth right now, where are all the high foreheads? :silly:

Yeah, I know you're talking about the English Elizabeth I, not the British Elizabeth II, it's just I tend to think of the latter first when I hear "Queen Elizabeth", so I had a moment of "huh?" when I read your post :)

Haha, you make me laugh!! :laugh:

I certianly didn't want to imply that the current Queen shaves her forehead!!! Wouldn't that be a crazy look!?? I think she has beautiful hair, I love the gorgeous silver color. It is short but I have trouble imagining her with longer hair. But if she ever wanted to grow it out I am sure we would be there cheering her on!!!

VenusHalley
March 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
well, I still think that some fashion trends which become common are strange. Just look at what was trendy in the history... yes, people got used to the look and some even considered it attractive, but when you look at it in retrospect, it still looks quite riddiculous, outrageous (I am sure many people feel that way about the 1980s fashion, even if back than it was not questioned and it was percieved as normal and pretty).

That's how I feel about thinned hair... I guess it is a different for a short-ish style, but thinned hair in the BSL just looks... not too good. And imho, it's only percieved good looking because of the many people wear it... I think that we our grandchildren will look at photos where person is sporting this look, they will ask why did the women do it to themselves... that is just my opinion.

Sorry, if I came across too harsh. It was not my intention.

windinherhair
March 19th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I think thick hair is desired, but I like to have a balance. I am glad my hair isn't too thick to the point it gives me headaches or it is too heavy to wear up.

Heidi_234
March 19th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I think most people who say "I prefer thick hair", don't actually mean thick-thcik hair, as in iii+ thick hair. Most people just want a decent hemline or a pony/bun that doesn't look pitiful. "Thick hair" that is universally desired, is merely acceptably thick hair. If you are at that range, you don't want it either way, if you are on the thinner side - you'd want the extra hair, if you are on the thick side, you'd want it to be less burdening and more manageable.

Some hairtypes will look 'thicker' even though by circumference they are thinner. When one see another persons hair, it's easier to spot if it looks on the thin side. There's nothing wrong with thinner hair, but there are beauty/cultural standards out there. Of course looking as if you are physically at your prime is universally desired! But don't mistake THICK hair for that desire. Everybody loves to have/see healthy/good looking hair - it might not be actually thick, but thickness can play a big role.

Just as I sidenote, I find my thickness pretty much perfect for me. I do not wish to go thinner, and I do not wish to go thicker. :)

ArienEllariel
March 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I'd like thicker hair but not necessarily so much that it constantly drove me crazy from weight, poofiness, etc.

skay
March 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Last year while riding the bus, I saw a woman in her 20s with fine, straight, thin, healthy blonde hair above her shoulders, and it was magnificent!

I couldn't help looking at it because I all I could think of how it was like it could be the hair of an "Angel"!

I couldn't see any evidence of dye or damage - it just looked perfect!

I wanted to compliment her but she didn't look "open".

==========

Outside of the LHC world, the only time I've really seen people want thick/thicker hair is when their hair has thinned out due to their aging process.

You know - maybe wistful thoughts on how it would be nice to have thicker hair again from time gone by...

TheEndlessOcean
March 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I think most people who say "I prefer thick hair", don't actually mean thick-thcik hair, as in iii+ thick hair. Most people just want a decent hemline or a pony/bun that doesn't look pitiful. "Thick hair" that is universally desired, is merely acceptably thick hair. If you are at that range, you don't want it either way, if you are on the thinner side - you'd want the extra hair, if you are on the thick side, you'd want it to be less burdening and more manageable.

Some hairtypes will look 'thicker' even though by circumference they are thinner. When one see another persons hair, it's easier to spot if it looks on the thin side. There's nothing wrong with thinner hair, but there are beauty/cultural standards out there. Of course looking as if you are physically at your prime is universally desired! But don't mistake THICK hair for that desire. Everybody loves to have/see healthy/good looking hair - it might not be actually thick, but thickness can play a big role.Well said :)

I'm a solid iii, and honestly I wish I had slightly thinner hair. I mostly either wear my hair down or in a ponytail, and with my hairtype it can often end up too poofy and voluminous for my liking.

DarkChocolate
March 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I would like thick hair. It honestly feels like my hair is as light as a feather but it looks like one too. I find that there are not too many buns that I can do with my hair so I just do a braid down the back.

Darkhorse1
March 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM
So, what we are saying in rregards to thick hair means lots of it ;)

Like Windinherhair said, I am greatful for what I have. I have seen many people with thick ponytails/lots more hair than I and they say it gives them a headache. I wouldn't want that--plus, finding a riding helmet to accomidate all that hair would get pricey ;)

I would think all women (and men) in the world would like nice hair--that falls nicely, looks shiny, and is full--healthy :)

chargersfan
March 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM
So, what we are saying in rregards to thick hair means lots of it ;)

Like Windinherhair said, I am greatful for what I have. I have seen many people with thick ponytails/lots more hair than I and they say it gives them a headache. I wouldn't want that--plus, finding a riding helmet to accomidate all that hair would get pricey ;)

I would think all women (and men) in the world would like nice hair--that falls nicely, looks shiny, and is full--healthy :)

It is so funny you mention the riding helmet - when I was younger I was a rider, and we could never fit my hair in my helmet. We even almost bought a helmet too big for me just for my hair (my hair wasn't even that long, it's just soooo thick!), and it looked ridiculous on me! I ended up having to do my hair in a braid and fold it up, much to my trainer's chagrin! She wanted me to cut it all off. Noooo way!

ilovelonghair
March 22nd, 2010, 01:33 AM
On men though, I prefer thick full hair. I never noticed until I read this post, but all my previous relationships were with men who had a full head of thick hair. :hmm:

The same for me, it just a preference. Maybe to make up for the amount of hair I want to have LOL

I would agree with this but from a historical perspective people were regularly pairing off in their teenage years, so baldness at the age of childbearing wouldn't have been as much as an issue therefore passing on those genes. I would venture to guess any bald 16 or 17 year old would have trouble getting a girl or boyfriend. The age factor is also important. The thicker hair of the young as opposed to the thinner hair of the older folks would be preferred in a mate for the links to fertility. "I am young! I can have babies and if the first couple babies don't make it I am young enough to keep going!!"

And I would like to say that I am not talking about super thick hair here, I am talking about anything that isn't falling out in clumps, that looks shiny and healthy. I would venture to guess that most of the hair thickness we have now would be pretty darn attractive to our ancestors. Think of is as the thickness of the LoTR elves, which is beautiful, in comparison to the hair thickness of Gollum. At some point it doesn't look that healthy. Gollum's hair wouldn't have been totally out there for those who have continual nutritional deficiencies. Now imagine that on a 13 year old girl and think about the likelyhood that she is going to pass on her genes.......

Would people have paired up that young? because females wouldn't have full grown bodies at the age of 13 and would have trouble giving birth. But at the other hand if people didn't live long they would have paired off as soon as possible.

The Gollum example: ROTFWL!!!!

That, and again, male baldness patterns doesn’t affect the ability to survive

Neither would it for a woman, because of course people will try to survive anyway. But I meant that our ancestors would probably see hair as a sign of health. (btw this was not to offend anyone, I was just thinking up some theories)

If you think of it, its pretty strange with humans, how we have just some body hair left, but lots of hair on our heads that can grow long. I always think that maybe the reason could be that it protects people's heads from the sun. Bald people have more change for sunstroke and got to be careful.
Baldness seems to vary: in some parts of the world it seems to occur more than in others.

Some hairtypes will look 'thicker' even though by circumference they are thinner.

Absolutely true! I always think my BF has extremely thick hair, but put both our hair in ponytails as the circumference is nearly the same!
And I always thought I had thin hair, but being on this forum more and more I think I change my mind about that :D. I think I should be happy with the way it is. I actually got a complement recently from a lady who said: 'you got such nice thick hair', that was the very first time in my life I have ever heard that! Yay!

Karala
March 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qRExF1DnDMY/R-zc2eUON5I/AAAAAAAAAoc/V1xE36rViuI/s400/OpheliaWaterhouse.jpg

J.W. Waterhouse for one obviously saw beauty in thin hair! :)

chotee
March 25th, 2010, 06:09 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qRExF1DnDMY/R-zc2eUON5I/AAAAAAAAAoc/V1xE36rViuI/s400/OpheliaWaterhouse.jpg

J.W. Waterhouse for one obviously saw beauty in thin hair! :)

how beautiful.......

ravenreed
March 25th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I don't read fashion magazines at all, yet I own several pairs of Crocs. I saw them in a shoe store and gave them a try. Crocs sandals are among the very few that fit my wide feet!

MirageGrace
March 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Personally, I really think healthy long, fine hair as being so beautiful!

long.again
March 25th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I have thin hair and the longer it gets the thinner is seems. But, I have always had thin hair and I know there is nothing I could do to change it. When I was pregnant, it got a lot thicker. It was hard to style and it was everywhere.

I could stand a little more thickness but I like my hair thin. Sure, my buns are tiny, but I can do them with shorter hair.

Blueglass
March 25th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Too thick might be too heavy or hard to dry. Moderate is best.

dropinthebucket
March 26th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Speaking as an absolutely superfine, with not much of it, I can say I'm honestly consumed with envy for anyone with even moderately normal amounts of hair! Wishing a fairy godmother could give me the fabulous thick hair I always wanted :magic: I've tried every thickening product available. Nothing works for very long. So I've given up.

Not sure long hair can ever look good when there's so little of it. I'm gonna go for it, but worry it will look like a rat's tail hanging down! :(

Dreams_in_Pink
March 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM
It seems to be desired; but to be honest, if we had to hairtype the ideal hair, it'd be 1c/F-M/iv :D Which is, fine-medium strands for softness and shine AND unnatural amount of hair to compensate for the lack of volume caused by fine hairs.

There's a limit to the amount of hair follicles one can fit on a human scalp, after all.

I understand that thickness and fineness are different classifications, but most of the time, coarse hair is always thick and fine hair, regardless of the amount of follicles, looks thinner than coarse ones. Thickness has a lot to do with coarseness, which is SO NOT desired. Coarse hair never shines the way fine hair does and is NEVER as silky as fine hair feels.

All these boil down to the fact that universally desired hair does not exist :D

lora410
March 26th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I think it is because all our lives women on TV with long hair also had thick hair. I think If we had grown up seeing women with long thinner hair then that would be what e wanted. It's all brainwashing..lol

Oskimosa
March 26th, 2010, 05:11 PM
*snip*

Exactly. Also, does thickness or thinness really have anything to do with it? Each era and decade follows a dominant style. To name a few recent: 80s were all about VOLUME. You don't have to have a certain hair type to have volume. The late 90s were all about being smooth and sleek. The '00s have seemed to be everything in between.

I see healthy, well-treated hair of all types and gawk with envy. Curly, straight, thick, thin, fine, coarse. My hubby has super dark 3a/m/i hair and OMG CAN YOU SAY ENVY. I mean... wow.

So, yea, I know hair models often have thick hair, and movies often include masses of fake hair wigs on the actors, and shampoos often advertise making hair thicker, but I think it has more to do with health, body and volume than it does with overall thickness.

Keildra
March 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Would people have paired up that young? because females wouldn't have full grown bodies at the age of 13 and would have trouble giving birth. But at the other hand if people didn't live long they would have paired off as soon as possible.

Yeah as soon as a girl was able to have children they would Marry her off. I know in ancient Greece if a girl wasn't married by the time she ended puberty she would be considered an old maid, but I think that also stems from a short lifespan. Also in ancient India girls got married as young as 7 to ensure their virginity.

Now to be on topic, I generally would prefer thicker hair because my circumference is an inch, I have no bald spots but I also have a ton of breakage so even thicker individual strands would be nice for me. I don't think I would mind having to wait to do new styles it'd just be something for me to look forward to and give me more reason to keep growing.

habioku
March 27th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I don't desire to have thicker hair. I'm happy with my medium thick hair. I think thicker hair would be inconvenient, needs longer to try, needs more lenght for the same hairstyles then thinner hair. I would say, all is not gold that glitters ;).

Annitta
March 27th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I have thick hair, and this fact plus living in a tropical country with no winters :(, makes me wanna cut it, and i did for a long time. It's just so hot under long and thick hair. :p I'll be braver this time and not cut it and try to enjoy updo's, which i didn't then.

lapelosa
August 31st, 2011, 07:30 PM
I certainly hope this comment can be applied to me! I have thin hair. But it's very healthy hair. :p

lapelosa
August 31st, 2011, 07:37 PM
Speaking as an absolutely superfine, with not much of it, I can say I'm honestly consumed with envy for anyone with even moderately normal amounts of hair! Wishing a fairy godmother could give me the fabulous thick hair I always wanted :magic: I've tried every thickening product available. Nothing works for very long. So I've given up.

Not sure long hair can ever look good when there's so little of it. I'm gonna go for it, but worry it will look like a rat's tail hanging down! :(
For the record, the hair in your profile is very pretty!

Pr0sperity
August 31st, 2011, 07:39 PM
I hope it can be applied to me, too.

wtchmel
August 31st, 2011, 07:57 PM

I'm sorry, but after looking at those two picks, and then reading this response, i started to laugh out loud, i don't know why, lol.

I am one of those who envys the thick haired, yet my hair is 'average' i suppose. Thick hair to me equals length (for instance, i knew as soon as I saw Igor's pic years ago, even though it was short then,yet super thick, that she'd be able to grow that hair super long, and she has.)
I have had very thin hair as a child, and even now if i use cones my hair turns flat and thin and stringy feeling, so i just prefer or envy the thicker hairs. Hell, i'm rambling as per usual....... ;)

Yame
August 31st, 2011, 08:26 PM
I wanted thicker hair because my mom constantly told me my hair was thin. Actually, it turns out my hair is on the thicker range of medium, which is pretty cool. I found this out after joining LHC, and I am finally starting to actually see it for what it is, in my pictures and videos. Until then, I thought my hair was thin and saw it as being thin.

Now, I see some thin-haired ladies on here that put my hair (and some thicker manes) to shame! When I look at someone like miss piggy's hair I envy thinner hair! So no, thick hair isn't universally desired.

WinterButterfly
September 1st, 2011, 12:08 AM
I have said this a few times, but all hair types have their own forms of beauty. Thinner hair does seem to float more. And a pony tail is a bit less likely to give you a headache. Start looking at the positives. We can be our own worst critics. I do believe that meduim to thick hair has usually been in style. But you can be your own trend. Also remember as long asyou are taking the best care of your hair and health that you can reasonably afford, then you are right where you should be. Each human being is different. Each person has their own type of beauty. In most cultures an hourglass figure is most desired. I have almost no bust for this look. But that doesn't make my figure bad. Just different than the regular form of beauty. Your hair is not bad. It is just not the regular form that beauty takes. That doesn't make it less beautiful. :)

celebriangel
September 1st, 2011, 02:43 AM
Hmm...well, I'd kill for thicker hair personally.

But I know if I had it, I'd probably find it annoying...actually, I *remember* finding it annoying when I had superthick hair during puberty. I don't actually know how thick my hair will be when I grow out the dye thinning, though.

I think we all want what we don't have. I have hair that is the upper end of ii right now, so on the thick end of average, which realistically is probably a nice compromise between ease and thickness. I think we would all be happier if we could just learn to rock what we've got - like my ethereally beautiful (male) friend who has waist-length, blond, 1a Ff i hair. And by F I mean *incredibly, baby-fine*.

He really does look like an elf. So beautiful, and he hardly has any thickness at all.

beccababesx
September 1st, 2011, 05:42 AM
Definitely no, if you want to have a bob or shoulder length hair, thick hair is a curse because it makes you have triangle head like nobody's business!
Embrace what you have - whether you have iv hair or half of an i, if you think it's beautiful then it is. Be grateful - at least you have hair.

JulietCapulet
September 1st, 2011, 05:54 AM
I have always had thick hair, until now I have more stress and I have less hair than before. I didn't used to like it because I felt it was too massive and bushy. But now I wish I had it back.

But like others have mentioned, it's really hard to have short hair if your hair is thick.

Venefica
September 1st, 2011, 06:05 AM
Personally on me I like it the thicker the better, however I also think it is important to be proud of ones hair no matter how thick it is. I think thick hair is more desirable than thin hair and I am very lucky that I have very think hair, but all well kept and well loved hair is beautiful.

Capybara
September 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM
I've always thought that I would look better with thinner hair. More feminine, softer maybe. That's just me though.

I love the look of ethereal, fine, thin hair. I doubt it's a cultural thing for me, more like I feel that thinner hair looks better in ponytails, but I think it's a "grass is always greener" scenario. Either way, I am one person who feels that thick hair is not universally desired :) I'd love thinner hair!

ETA: I just thought, maybe the "thicker is better" mindset is because, to have thick hair, you pretty much have to be born with it (or add extensions) while it is much easier to create the illusion of thinner hair (with layers, etc). So perhaps it's an exclusivity thing? More difficult to thicken hair than thin it, so thicker hair is more desireable? I don't know.

kouran
September 1st, 2011, 07:35 AM
I agree with the others that say that not precisely thick, but healthy hair is universally desired. I have seen people with i and ii hair that was utterly beautiful, like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlfiuUEt56M) video aimed for those long hair enthusiasts shows, the two girls do not have very thick hair, but their hair is completely desirable and more gorgeous than many iiis I have seen.

racrane
September 1st, 2011, 07:51 AM
I don't have thick hair, but I have a lot of fine hair. It's very slippery and sometimes I can't do updo's. I'd like to have thicker hair to work with, but the grass is greener...

Chetanlaiho
September 1st, 2011, 08:23 AM
I think I would be more okay with my thickness (on the slightly thicker side of ii) if my ends weren't so thin :( (haircut not gone completely right). And if my bangs were a little less thick >_<

When I pull all my hair into one ponytail I quite like the thickness, I would like it to be thicker but I'm okay with it. But now it looks like I have really sudden wicked taper going on.

kamikaze hair
September 1st, 2011, 09:49 AM
i hope, HOPE, HOPE, that my hair will look thicker once i've grown out all these layers. My actual hair strands can feel quite thin but i think i'm one of those people who has lots of hair (or should once i get rid of these d** layers!). But thats just what i want, i'm not sure about the whole univerally desired part... :)

elbow chic
September 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
I would actually not mind having thinner hair. My hair is pretty thick and one-length and because of that it doesn't look good down-- to me it looks "blocky."

In the past I've tended to get it thinned and layered to soften the effect of having a big honking block o' hair around my face. It's like an overgrown shrub. Thinning it makes it more streamlined, shapely.

I'm keeping it this way because it does make some killer braids, but for wearing hair down, the thinnies definitely have the edge on the ethereal, romantic look of long loose hair.

luxepiggy
September 1st, 2011, 12:33 PM
Not necessarily. I have borderline thin hair now, but my hair was probably moderately thick until high school. I find it's a bit easier to manage this way - it tangles less when I leave it down, and ponytails don't give me headaches like they used to. The only downside is that braids & updos look less impressive, but since I usually leave my hair down, I don't mind that much (^(oo)^)

maborosi
September 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM
My sister literally has the coarsest, thickest hair I've ever seen. She is probably something like C and iii/iv- it is absolutely nuts. Her hair is amazingly beautiful, but her hair causes its own issues. Even though it can take a bit more torture than mine can, and it's raely breaking off and stuff, I am actually really glad I don't have super-thick hair like her.

She can't wear it in a ponytail very easily, some hairstyles become too heavy for her to wear, it takes her forever to dry it, it won't hold a curl, etc. Her hair is probably about an inch longer than mine is.

But it's still awesome and probably the best hair in the world, lol.

~maborosi~

Alassea
May 20th, 2017, 08:37 PM
I have thin hair and have learned to be proud of it.
It's I look good overall, hair thickness shouldn't be a huge issue honestly.

Also, it's generally easier to style. I have thin hair and even then, I still get headaches!

Simsy
May 20th, 2017, 10:55 PM
I have fine hair and loads of it. I would be happy with a fair bit less, if only for ease of styling and handling. Thick hair looks pretty but seems to only really be desired by those who don't already deal with it. Kinda like curls and straight hair.

lapushka
May 21st, 2017, 03:40 AM
I have F hair, but lots of it. I surprised at least a couple of hairdressers when their dye / bleach ran out and a quarter of my hair was still left. Back to the mixing bowl... LOL.

Thicker hair comes with its own pros an cons. It's not all peaches & cream.

Corvana
May 21st, 2017, 03:47 AM
I do want thicker hair, but my best friend has VERY thick hair and I know her struggles from living with her for several years. But I often feel like my hair is quite thin, even if it's actually average. Part of that stems from seeing celebrities all the time with suuuuuuuper thick hair, but I started to realize lately that it's probably extensions 90% of the time. I would like a little more thickness (about 1/4" more in ponytail circumference for a full 4"), but overall I'm much less dissatisfied with my hair thickness than I used to be.

My bestie, though, wishes her hair were thinner. She has the worst time keeping it up, plus it takes a million years to dry and requires so much shampoo and conditioner.

hayheadsbird
May 21st, 2017, 03:50 AM
I have F hair, but lots of it. I surprised at least a couple of hairdressers when their dye / bleach ran out and a quarter of my hair was still left. Back to the mixing bowl... LOL.

Thicker hair comes with its own pros an cons. It's not all peaches & cream.

Def not peaches and cream!
I like how thick my hair looks in a braid. It's only just into iii so it's not seriously thick as some members are. But thickness has draw backs in terms of head eating buns, and acting shorter in terms of styling options. And hair dressers are all OMG even though you warned them about it when you made the appointment.
Personally, I dont have a preference in terms of asthetics. DD is ii and her hair is lovely (and really easy to work with :), and I have friends irl with i hair and it's stunning, floaty and light and soft, like fairytale princess hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 21st, 2017, 04:01 AM
No, I don't think thick hair is universally desired. No reason why it should be. Thick hair isn't the be all and end all of fabulousness. Both thin and thick hair have their own beauty.

Now, healthy hair is probably universally desired, and good health.

lapushka
May 21st, 2017, 05:10 AM
Personally, I dont have a preference in terms of asthetics. DD is ii and her hair is lovely (and really easy to work with :), and I have friends irl with i hair and it's stunning, floaty and light and soft, like fairytale princess hair.

My mom has i, i/ii hair (on the verge) so it's really F and thin. It's lovely hair. Although she wishes it were different. Because it is so thin it is really hard to draw partings in her hair (it's that sparse) for when she makes divisions to put her hair in curlers. It's a chore all right. Thank goodness she only needs to wash her hair every 3/4 weeks. It's that dry.

Now, healthy hair is probably universally desired, and good health.

True! :)

Ondine11
May 21st, 2017, 06:20 AM
Each strand of my hair is fine. This means handling it with great care as it grows, to prevent breakage. I used to have a lot of hair, but, a hormone shift caused it to fall out unexpectedly, like rain. It would be all over the bathroom floor. I fell into a deep depression, as I saw a receding hairline, & some areas of bare scalp (!!!) It forced me to chop my hair from SL to a chin length Bob with bangs.

I took decisive action & did a major overhaul: getting my hormones in check, taking hair vitamins, bought a laser brush, & began scalp massages, increased my iron intake & protein intake, & it all began growing back in, in mid-late Nov. 2016. So, now, there's a batch of short hair 3" long, interspersed amongst my APL hair. I have a med amount of fine hair that will soon be at the high end of medium, with the new growth.

As for thick hair, I tend to admire it on other people; those with amazingly thick braids & impressive updos, BUT, I know it is extremely heavy, & it takes forever to dry, so, no thanks.

Fia
May 21st, 2017, 06:43 AM
If I could choose I'd want my own hair slightly thicker than what it is today. I'm at the lower end of the ii-spectrum with a 2.25" pony; give me a 3" pony and I'd be more than satisified. F hair, but lots of strands, more than a few hairdresser has remarked that if each strand would only be a bit thicker I'd have really thick hair.

Hairkay
May 21st, 2017, 09:24 AM
Mother used to thin her hair out when she was a teen because it was too thick. It takes more effort to manage thick hair. Thick type 4 hair has a lot of volume. Even I had times when I wished my hair didn't look so big when it was loose.

It's more of the case of liking what you haven't got, ie, the grass is greener on the other side.

Seeshami
May 21st, 2017, 09:30 AM
absolutely not by me! if an undercut wasn't so much maintenance and I could accurately do the at home by myself I would have thinner hair. having to custom order your hair sticks long enough is BS.

zashin66
May 21st, 2017, 09:51 AM
I do want thicker hair, but my best friend has VERY thick hair and I know her struggles from living with her for several years. But I often feel like my hair is quite thin, even if it's actually average. Part of that stems from seeing celebrities all the time with suuuuuuuper thick hair, but I started to realize lately that it's probably extensions 90% of the time. I would like a little more thickness (about 1/4" more in ponytail circumference for a full 4"), but overall I'm much less dissatisfied with my hair thickness than I used to be.

My bestie, though, wishes her hair were thinner. She has the worst time keeping it up, plus it takes a million years to dry and requires so much shampoo and conditioner.

I have hair like you describe on your bestie . Except my hair is so coarse. The smooth pretty look is only achieved by half a bottle of hair conditioner. I now quickly scan the clearance racks for any conditioner when I go to the store just to keep up a supply.:hatchet:

spidermom
May 21st, 2017, 10:54 AM
A lot of people hate their thick hair so much that they have it thinned.

lithostoic
May 21st, 2017, 10:54 AM
As much as I admire ultra-thick hair, I wouldn't want mine much thicker than it is naturally. It can be a pain in the butt even at only 8cm (3.15 in). And I still have new growth catching up.

Like Seeshami, I would love an undercut! I've considered it many times but the thought of the growing-out process always scares me away.

Mrstran
May 21st, 2017, 11:07 AM
I have really thick hair and for a long time I used a flat iron to make it more sleek and thin appearing. It did work, and very well. I believe a ton of people used flat irons not just to smooth waves, but to give that thinner lighter sleek look. Remember the early 2000's? Everyone was flattening out their hair for that look. More recently it seems some people have moved away from it, perhaps resulting from the desire to have healthier hair after all that breakage and frying over the years.

I'm just going on a hunch here, but I think the majority of people going for thicker hair, are a percent of the dedicated medium to thinner hair keepers who go to the extreme for their beautiful hair they love. Also, those regular hair upkeepers who have very thin hair.

Aredhel
May 21st, 2017, 11:10 AM
Depends how thick. I would only want mine to be a tiny thicker than it is now. If my pony could just measure a solid 4" around, I'd be beyond delighted. Anything more might be too thick for me. :)

Syaoransbear
May 21st, 2017, 11:39 AM
At least if people with thick hair don't like it they have the option of thinning it. Besides extensions, people with thin hair can't do anything about it.

littlestarface
May 21st, 2017, 01:15 PM
At least if people with thick hair don't like it they have the option of thinning it. Besides extensions, people with thin hair can't do anything about it.

So so true.

Alassea
May 21st, 2017, 04:46 PM
Just make the best out of what you got basically.
We can't change our genes, but we can change our lifestyle and the quality of our hair will show through that. :)

MidnightMoon
May 21st, 2017, 05:13 PM
Whoa what ugly comments on the first pages of this thread... good thing they're from years ago, but I don't get why only few were upset over that. I don't think people would appreciate me saying thinness is on vogue because of a bunch of skinny envious women who invented that trend, or that of course red hair is ugly and comparing it to some nasty ugly looking plant, and of course it should be a conspiracy because no one in their sane mind would want such a bad looking colour. Great.
Making people feel bad about something they didn't choose and can't change is plain stupid...
Your hair is pretty just because it's yours and you cherish it, period... I don't give a crap about fashion, trends, or whatever strategy they want to use to sell stuff now. Making one feel bad about the most natural normal things is their best selling strategy.

Aredhel
May 21st, 2017, 05:21 PM
Whoa what ugly comments on the first pages of this thread... good thing they're from years ago, but I don't get why only few were upset over that. I don't think people would appreciate me saying thinness is on vogue because of a bunch of skinny envious women who invented that trend, or that of course red hair is ugly and comparing it to some nasty ugly looking plant, and of course it should be a conspiracy because no one in their sane mind would want such a bad looking colour. Great.
Making people feel bad about something they didn't choose and can't change is plain stupid...
Your hair is pretty just because it's yours and you cherish it, period... I don't give a crap about fashion, trends, or whatever strategy they want to use to sell stuff now. Making one feel bad about the most natural normal things is their best selling strategy.

Wow I hadn't even noticed those responses until now... very nasty comments about thin hair indeed. I agree with you though. We're on a long hair forum lol, the last thing we should be listening to is what's "trendy", especially when it comes to hair. :rolleyes: I generally find that the thickness that people are born with probably suits them the most anyway. Nature has a way of figuring these things out for us. :)

MidnightMoon
May 21st, 2017, 05:42 PM
Wow I hadn't even noticed those responses until now... very nasty comments about thin hair indeed. I agree with you though. We're on a long hair forum lol, the last thing we should be listening to is what's "trendy", especially when it comes to hair. :rolleyes: I generally find that the thickness that people are born with probably suits them the most anyway. Nature has a way of figuring these things out for us. :)

I hadn't thought about that before now, so I can't really tell. I do think extensions don't look well most of the time because it's hard to get the exact same colour, texture, hair thickness, etc., so they are obvious to a certain degree. Also, you usually can guess a person's hair thickness by looking at their crown, so unusually thick or coarse hair with no taper, looking fuller from the ears down is a bit suspicious.
It's even harder if hair is already thin to begin with, because it makes "hiding" the extensions harder.
I don't have thin hair myself, but it's very, very fine, and while I sometimes wish it was coarser to have less floaty hair, better looking updo's, etc., it always helps to find inspiration in others. My grandma also says people with fine hair are kind haha. It has nothing to do, but it's a cute thought.

Alassea
May 21st, 2017, 07:08 PM
Lol yeah. I was about to say that the 'thin hair women are jealous' comment from the woman was just plain obnoxious, offensive and untrue.
If anything, the comment makes it seem like she is the one who is jealous and bitter more than anything.

lizardspots
May 22nd, 2017, 08:15 AM
The grass is always greener.... Everyone wants what they don't have. I would love to have thicker or curly hair, but honestly it probably wouldn't suit me because I'm quite petite and have a small face, it would look too huge and overwhelming. I agree with Aredhel, nature has a way of figuring these things out, we probably have the hair that best suits us anyway.

Ondine11
May 22nd, 2017, 08:57 AM

My goodness, you're right! I hadn't looked at the first pages; I went straight to the last two or three to get an idea of how people were handling the subject, & to learn how the conversation had evolved. I was quite shocked by some of the tripe people had written. I think, sometimes, people do not really think very much before their fingers skitter across the keyboard & they hit 'post a quick reply'.

I respect the fact that people have individual preferences. I also know that just because I wouldn't want to have some trait, doesn't make that trait 'unattractive' or undesirable, or ugly. It is merely a reflection of my tastes. Someone else might love the trait I don't.

As for something being 'universally desirable', that is a specious claim. Good health is universally desirable, BUT, thick or thin hair is a matter of heredity. There are destitute people in many parts of the world who have inherited, through dint of genes, very thick hair. In other places, there are perfectly healthy people with hair on the thin side. Many Sudanese & Kenyan women, in very good health, have extremely thin hair that doesn't grow long. Sudanese supermodel Alec Wek has naturally baby fine, thin 4b-c hair that does not grow very much. She is healthy & now wealthy. Her hair is a function of her genetics; not poor health.

People really ought to think a little more, before they write.

*edited: sp error*

littlestarface
May 22nd, 2017, 11:00 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the first few pages, people were just giving their own personal opinions/comments and just cuz they don't agree with yours doesn't make them rude nasty,disgusting or whatever.

My opinion, I agree thick hair is beautiful to me it blows my mind, especially when I see people with one thickness from neck to mid-thigh and its all thick from top to bottom, it is most enviable. I wish I had that kind of hair.

Aredhel
May 22nd, 2017, 11:22 AM
It's not their differing opinions that were offensive btw...really, each to his/her own, I couldn't care less if someone preferred thick hair over my hair... it was accusing thin-haired people of being "jealous" and a part of some crazy conspiracy for embracing their thin hair. That just made me :rolleyes:

MidnightMoon
May 22nd, 2017, 12:59 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the first few pages, people were just giving their own personal opinions/comments and just cuz they don't agree with yours doesn't make them rude nasty,disgusting or whatever.

My opinion, I agree thick hair is beautiful to me it blows my mind, especially when I see people with one thickness from neck to mid-thigh and its all thick from top to bottom, it is most enviable. I wish I had that kind of hair.

So you think comparing non-skinny people like yourself to some big animal like a whale, while skinny ones are gracious and compared to a swan or whatever would be ok?
Or saying jealous non-caucasian women invented black hair dye because they were envious of blonde people, and there's no way one would want such a hideous colour?
There are ways to state your opinion, and calling something that grows out of someones head, over which they have no control "looking really bad", comparing it to a tattered-looking plant, and saying no one in their right mind would want that is rude.

Cherriezzzzz
May 22nd, 2017, 01:47 PM
I think it's all in the eye of the beholder. There are some thick-haired people on here who lament that their hair isn't thin enough to do some of the updos properly.

The grass-is-greener mentality, in my opinion. :)

Make note my ponytail is 4.5 cm.... i'd kill for less then a quarter thick ponytail... I had it ONCE after a pregnancy lots of my hair fell out. It was heaven! That's when I had grown it the longest i'd ever had it cause it was a dream to care for!

*Wednesday*
May 22nd, 2017, 02:29 PM
So you think comparing non-skinny people like yourself to some big animal like a whale, while skinny ones are gracious and compared to a swan or whatever would be ok?

That's throwing some shade. Not fair.

MidnightMoon
May 22nd, 2017, 02:35 PM
That's throwing some shade. Not fair.

I don't know what "throwing shade" means, but yeah, people think it's all good until it gets personal. Sorry if it offends you/her, but I don't see how else to prove the point that it's not ok to express someone's opinion when it's actually offensive/rude and just as mean as my (hypothetical) comment.

MidnightMoon
May 22nd, 2017, 02:36 PM
ps. I'm not skinny myself, and my own hair is pretty much black/have dyed it black

*Wednesday*
May 22nd, 2017, 04:17 PM
I don't know what "throwing shade" means, but yeah, people think it's all good until it gets personal. Sorry if it offends you/her, but I don't see how else to prove the point that it's not ok to express someone's opinion when it's actually offensive/rude and just as mean as my (hypothetical) comment.

I'm not personally offended. I don't like your hypothetical comment. It's not good for the community and was in bad taste. Your post in my opinion could have been handled with more grace. Points can be discussed without bringing people under the microscope in the form of a personal attack against their physical appearance. No one on the first page personally launched an attack against anyone in particular, nor did littlestarface.

Throwing shade means to show disrespect to someone in public. Humiliate them, or an attempt to and wasn't hypothetical...hence ...throwing shade.

lucid
May 22nd, 2017, 04:21 PM
Yes - I think that volume and thick hair is generally desired over thin hair. Wavy or curly hair looks thick even when it's not, so I think it's the "sleek"/no volume look that isn't desired among the general population (like my hair).

I find all hairtypes beautiful in their own way and I would love to see more natural hair in general (I'm thinking in movies, tv, etc). I really like when a series I watch features natural hair, like the new dr. who season where one of the main characters wears her 4'hair all natural. It's the little things I guess, I'm just sick of seeing the same hair everywhere :P

Every commercial tells me that I have to change my hair in order to make it look good. Add products to fake volume, cut it in a way that suites thin/straight hair - short of course, long hair is apparently not suited if you have thin hair (we are plenty of people in here that are proving that wrong ;) ) I never use volume products, I like my hair as it is, and I no longer care if people comment about my volume/thickness. I know I don't have very thin hair, but it is completely straight with no volume at all, which makes it appear thinner than it would have if I'd had some waves. So people have often felt the need to comment on my hair saying stuff like "it looks so thin, you need to cut it" or "it looks so wispy and damaged", especially when I was growing out layers, and it made me question my long hair journey for a while.

One thing I really like about LHC is that it's not restricted to one hairtype (like a lot of other hair forums) - we get to see all sorts of hair types, and discover the beauty and uniqueness of them all :)

MidnightMoon
May 22nd, 2017, 05:05 PM
I'm not personally offended. I don't like your hypothetical comment. It's not good for the community and was in bad taste. Your post in my opinion could have been handled with more grace. Points can be discussed without bringing people under the microscope in the form of a personal attack against their physical appearance. No one on the first page personally launched an attack against anyone in particular, nor did littlestarface.

Throwing shade means to show disrespect to someone in public. Humiliate them, or an attempt to and wasn't hypothetical...hence ...throwing shade.

And supporting offensive opinions targeted to other's physical appearance is ok?
It might be "ungraceful", but I don't see how it's different from previous comments. But apparently people take body shaming more seriously than hair shaming.

Alex Lou
May 22nd, 2017, 05:50 PM
I think that hair desirability for most people is an interplay between texture and volume.

Make note my ponytail is 4.5 cm.... i'd kill for less then a quarter thick ponytail... I had it ONCE after a pregnancy lots of my hair fell out. It was heaven! That's when I had grown it the longest i'd ever had it cause it was a dream to care for!

I was thinking about this a while back and I do credit my persistence in growing my hair (my hair is now longer than it's ever been) to how thin it is. The thinness is due to damage, but makes it more manageable and looks better to me. In the past with long hair, I'd get overwhelmed by the bulk of it.

I'm a thin hair admirer. I love the little messy buns, the small pony tales, the short styles that fall close to the head. My husband has a fraction of the hair that I have. He keeps it about chin length and it always looks great.

littlestarface
May 22nd, 2017, 08:03 PM
Or saying jealous non-caucasian women invented black hair dye because they were envious of blonde people, and there's no way one would want such a hideous colour?
There are ways to state your opinion, and calling something that grows out of someones head, over which they have no control "looking really bad", comparing it to a tattered-looking plant, and saying no one in their right mind would want that is rude.

I couldn't care less about any anonymous person online or real life comparing me to a whale calling me fat or anyone calling me anything, if you think that about me go ahead think it say it write about it, that's your opinion about me and i'm fine with it.

But thick hair to me does look better and if anyone else thinks that they also have the right to say their opinion.

Chromis
May 22nd, 2017, 08:24 PM
The moderators would like to remind all members, both old and new to avoid "moderating without a license". If you find content on this forum objectionable, please use the report button rather than calling out or chastising members on your own. The moderators will investigate and make appropriate actions...privately...in most cases there won't be a visible action, as moderator actions are private between the moderators and members.

Please also keep in mind our KNIT guidelines. They are pinned at the top of the forum, but I shall repeat them here:

"I came for the hair care advice, but I stayed for the friends."

It has been said more than once that TLHC is one of the nicest sites on the 'net. That's because we have exceptional members who genuinely care about each other and terrific moderators who strive to make sure everyone has the best experience possible. The feeling created is very much like an extended family.

On occasion, however, a quarrel will occur, or a bit of snark will creep into people's messages, and this note is a gentle reminder that the best antidote for that is for everyone to monitor their own posts. Using the Report Button is a great help to the moderators by alerting us to problems, but prevention is a way that everyone can help maintain that warm community spirit. So, as we like to say, KNIT before you post.

Before you hit the "Submit" button, review what you're about to say.

Is it Kind?

Is it Necessary?

Is it Informative?

Is it True?

Read your words as if someone else were saying them to you. How would you receive them? Would you be offended, hurt or angry? If your post doesn't pass those tests, try again. If you simply can't compose something, let the thread go, and maybe try again later.

Every once in a while, there will be something that you cannot agree with. No one expects there to be a complete meeting of minds on every single topic discussed here. In those cases, we ask for tolerance - not acceptance, but tolerance. The other person is always worthy of respect. If you post, do not attack. Agree to disagree, and let your words be civil and even as kind as possible.

Thank you, everyone, for making this such a wonderful community.

sumidha
May 22nd, 2017, 08:34 PM
To answer the question posed in the title, no.

Fashion is cyclical, right now 'big' hair is in, back through most of the 90's and early 00's thinner hair (think Jennifer Aniston) was in, in the 80's big permed hair was in... Seeing the pattern? :)

Wreckinbelle
May 22nd, 2017, 09:35 PM
I used to feel as though my super thick hair made me special somehow. Now I'm just thankful that I can do the hairstyles that I like, ie; My huge undercut, and not have to compromise at all.

MidnightMoon
May 23rd, 2017, 05:34 AM
littlestarface well, some people do care about being called names, insulted, humiliated, etc. If you don't, go ahead and treat yourself that way, but don't do so with other people, or encourage others to freely express their opinion when it's actually offensive. There's a reason why people don't just go around shouting whatever comes to their minds. We are supposed to be civilised, and respectful. If you haven't experienced bullying or something even worse yourself, or think you're immune to that, good for you. There's people who have suffered a lot because of others feeling entitled to express their "opinion" on their body, religion, ethnicity, and the list goes on.
If you think thicker hair is prettier, you are free to say so, no one is stopping you. The problem comes when you/others have to say negative things about others to feel better, or to prove their point, or whatever. I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference between stating an opinion politely and being cruel and irresponsible with one's words, so I'm not going to keep discussing this topic.

*Wednesday*
May 23rd, 2017, 06:13 AM
The moderators would like to remind all members, both old and new to avoid "moderating without a license". If you find content on this forum objectionable, please use the report button rather than calling out or chastising members on your own. The moderators will investigate and make appropriate actions...privately...in most cases there won't be a visible action, as moderator actions are private between the moderators and members.

My apologies. I will be mindful of this.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2017, 08:29 AM
To answer the question posed in the title, no.

Fashion is cyclical, right now 'big' hair is in, back through most of the 90's and early 00's thinner hair (think Jennifer Aniston) was in, in the 80's big permed hair was in... Seeing the pattern? :)

Wow, I used to think Jennifer Aniston had quite the bit of hair on her head. Not what I would think of "thin" at all.

Alassea
May 23rd, 2017, 09:14 AM

Exactly. Thank you.

People love giving the 'opinions' and 'freedom of speech' excuse to be passive aggressive and rude.
I'm fine with people giving their opinions, but when it's done ungracefully and presumptuous like 'thin haired women are just jealous,' I'm going to roll my eyes lol.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2017, 09:21 AM
Well, I think it's easy to come from a place of thick hair and put down people with hair that is thinner. That's in a sense not fair. I just remember that I have family members that do not all have thick hair and I thankfully accept that I am "blessed" with lots of hair follicles (I ultimately have my mom and dad to thank for that). My mom however has thin hair (i mostly now) and I know what it feels like to want thicker hair and not have it anymore (I was the main cause for that as it never was what it was before pregnancy). It *hurts*, and IMMHO it's not nice in any way to put thinner haired people down in any way, shape or form. Just my 2cts on it. :flower:

Alassea
May 23rd, 2017, 09:30 AM
Yep. Plus, my own mother who is aging has extremely thin hair now and it's a huge problem because she also feels like she needs to dye it to cover up her greys and hair dye damages to a degree.
She laments her thin hair everyday (scalp is showing) and extremely self conscious of it (puts a hat on every time she goes outside.)

So I am fiercely defensive for her. @lapushka is right. It HURTS.

Aredhel
May 23rd, 2017, 09:50 AM
Well, I think it's easy to come from a place of thick hair and put down people with hair that is thinner. That's in a sense not fair. I just remember that I have family members that do not all have thick hair and I thankfully accept that I am "blessed" with lots of hair follicles (I ultimately have my mom and dad to thank for that). My mom however has thin hair (i mostly now) and I know what it feels like to want thicker hair and not have it anymore (I was the main cause for that as it never was what it was before pregnancy). It *hurts*, and IMMHO it's not nice in any way to put thinner haired people down in any way, shape or form. Just my 2cts on it. :flower:

Yep. Plus, my own mother who is aging has extremely thin hair now and it's a huge problem because she also feels like she needs to dye it to cover up her greys and hair dye damages to a degree.
She laments her thin hair everyday (scalp is showing) and extremely self conscious of it (puts a hat on every time she goes outside.)

So I am fiercely defensive for her. @lapushka is right. It HURTS.
Agree with these points.:) It took me a lifetime to be able to look at my thin hair (and mine isn't even that thin) and not hate it every single day. After coming so far, it can really sting when people make comments like that. It sounds whiny of me, but I am learning to love my hair every single day, and quite honestly, it doesn't feel nice at all when thick-haired people compare my hair to sad near-leafless trees or accuse me of being jealous of their hair. I'm not jealous of yours, I'm just trying to love my own and that's okay.:flower:

Alassea
May 23rd, 2017, 09:54 AM
Agree with these points.:) It took me a lifetime to be able to look at my thin hair (and mine isn't even that thin) and not hate it every single day. After coming so far, it can really sting when people make comments like that. It sounds whiny of me, but I am learning to love my hair every single day, and quite honestly, it doesn't feel nice at all when thick-haired people compare my hair to sad near-leafless trees or accuse me of being jealous of their hair. I'm not jealous of yours, I'm just trying to love my own and that's okay.:flower:

This. +1000

littlestarface
May 23rd, 2017, 11:54 AM
littlestarface well, some people do care about being called names, insulted, humiliated, etc. If you don't, go ahead and treat yourself that way, but don't do so with other people, or encourage others to freely express their opinion when it's actually offensive. There's a reason why people don't just go around shouting whatever comes to their minds. We are supposed to be civilised, and respectful. If you haven't experienced bullying or something even worse yourself, or think you're immune to that, good for you. There's people who have suffered a lot because of others feeling entitled to express their "opinion" on their body, religion, ethnicity, and the list goes on.
If you think thicker hair is prettier, you are free to say so, no one is stopping you. The problem comes when you/others have to say negative things about others to feel better, or to prove their point, or whatever. I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference between stating an opinion politely and being cruel and irresponsible with one's words, so I'm not going to keep discussing this topic.

seriously? all this because the girl on the first page posted a tree example? lol ridiculous. The only one around here using personal attacks is you, you say it hurts people yet your doing the attacking yourself, now I don't care at all what you think about me cuz I couldn't care less about you but at least practice what you preach. Personal attacks aint proving no point at all it just shows how low you are when first I never personally said nothing about anyone and second neither did that girl.

Honestly if it hurt you that bad and everyone else on this thread then you guys should have and could have reported it. Instead of lamenting about how it hurts and how insulted you feel and going into personal attacks. that is what the report function is for just incase you all forgot about that function.