PDA

View Full Version : Itchy Scalp!

StormVixen
March 17th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Hi :D
I'd like to find out how to tell what is causing my itchy scalp, I've been CO washing since May09 and it was working so well untill January when my scalp started iching really badly, Ive been crusing around LHC looking for info but nothing seems to be helping (apart from when i mixed salt and honey to scrub my scalp it stopped iching for maybe 8 hours! but made me shed more than ususal).

Im trying to be as organic and chemical free on my hair as possible so i dont think its a chemical reaction, tho i suppose i could be reacting to something natural but can think or any new products or changes i've made since new year.

I wouldnt say I had dandruff or flakes, but if i forget not to scrach and idelly itch my scalp it sometimes mught weep a little and make kinda translucent orangy tiny scabs...

I REALLY dont want to go to the Dr about this cos i'll probably end up catching something worse, and i feel like i'd be wasting their time...!

Cheers Muchly xXx

Bethie
March 17th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I would look to see if there was a rash on my head, because you might have developed an allergy to something in your CO. At least that is what my itchy scalp was.

BelleBot
March 17th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Has your diet changed at all? That can cause scalp and skin problems.

I used to have a horribly itchy scalp, it was covered in weeping sores and scabs. The doctor prescribed medicated shampoo, which helped with my scalp, though stripped my hair to within an inch of it's life. Turned out it was pantene that was causing me problems. Stopped using that and never had a problem since.

Perhaps try clarifying in case you've got build up from the CO washing. Or switch to a different conditioner. Sometimes just a change in product can do wonders if you've been using the same stuff for a long time.

I'd advise seeing your doctor about it though if you're scratching so much you're developing weeping sores and scabs. You won't be wasting their time and I very much doubt you'll catch anything from seeing the doctor.
If you do and they do suggest medicated shampoo. Just make sure you only use it on your scalp and protect your lengths with conditioner first.

You can actually buy some medicated shampoo in most pharmacies anyway, called Vosene. It's not as strong as the prescription stuff, but it also doesn't kill your hair so much. So might be worth a shot if you refuse to visit the docs.

StormVixen
March 17th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I would look to see if there was a rash on my head, because you might have developed an allergy to something in your CO. At least that is what my itchy scalp was.

Thanks! Ill get somone to look for me, think ill go 100% home made til i figure out whats up with it... for today i've made a concoction of half an avacado, creamed coconut, EVCO, jojoba oil, Ojon oil, Rosemary EVOO and honey, and will rinse with Chamomile tea as usual...

StormVixen
March 17th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Has your diet changed at all? That can cause scalp and skin problems.

I used to have a horribly itchy scalp, it was covered in weeping sores and scabs. The doctor prescribed medicated shampoo, which helped with my scalp, though stripped my hair to within an inch of it's life. Turned out it was pantene that was causing me problems. Stopped using that and never had a problem since.

Perhaps try clarifying in case you've got build up from the CO washing. Or switch to a different conditioner. Sometimes just a change in product can do wonders if you've been using the same stuff for a long time.

I'd advise seeing your doctor about it though if you're scratching so much you're developing weeping sores and scabs. You won't be wasting their time and I very much doubt you'll catch anything from seeing the doctor.
If you do and they do suggest medicated shampoo. Just make sure you only use it on your scalp and protect your lengths with conditioner first.

You can actually buy some medicated shampoo in most pharmacies anyway, called Vosene. It's not as strong as the prescription stuff, but it also doesn't kill your hair so much. So might be worth a shot if you refuse to visit the docs.

YES, my diet changed! i became Veggie! i do take evening primrose and starflower oil as well as flax oil... Im eating Quorn and eggs from my chickens so protean intake should be ok too... um...

I really dont want medicated shampoo... my hair is REALLY aweful if i use it (used vosene and coaltar years and years ago when my scalp got infected after having insect bites and scratched and kept it up in a high, tight ponytail all day and night!)... If i use anything to treat my scalp it'll have to be herbal... been massaging scalp with EVOO/jojoba + rosemary, thyme, lavender and pachouli... because they'r anti fungal/anti bacterial type things...

I've got a few different COs which are all cone,sulfate and quat free, Inecto Coconut (which i have been using since May), Curls Coconut (which ive also been using a long time) my newer ones are Danial Galvin Organics (low chemicals but not technically organic) um... but im nearly run out of all my COs so maybe i shoud try to find something truely Organic or at least something REALLY gentle and low in chemicals.

I was scratching quite alot but now im making a concious effort not to, and if i really feel like it NEEDs scratching ill use the pads of my fingers...

How would i know (avoiding the Dr if possible) if ive got a fungal scalp infection?

Thanks! xXx

sweet*things
March 17th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I was cone and sulphate free for several months and my scalp was getting more and more insanely itchy. I recently started back on sulphates (still no cone) and that cleared the problem immediately. Wasn't the solution I was hoping for, but I'll take it.

StormVixen
March 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I was cone and sulphate free for several months and my scalp was getting more and more insanely itchy. I recently started back on sulphates (still no cone) and that cleared the problem immediately. Wasn't the solution I was hoping for, but I'll take it.

thanks,
I figure, as CO worked for me for like 8 months I'm going to stick with it, plus shampoo turns my hair into one big squeeky dread!

I have got that concoction on my head now, it's tingling a bit, im guessing thats the rosemary...

hmmmm... maybe its the EOs irritating my scalp! tho what im using right now is EVOO infused with rosemary... hmmmm...

StormVixen
April 22nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
Please, I still need help, i've started low-pooing occationally, im worried that i might have seborrheic dermatitis, i *know* there is a thread on the subject here somewhere, i've looked and looked but i cant find it! link me please!!!

Im getting crusty areas on my scalp, and if i pull a bit off it looks like a clear orange, kinda dried syrup texture rather than flakes of skin... I cant look at my own scalp (obviously!) and there is no-one i can get to do it for me as im living at work!

I've just started coconut oiling continuously then thoroughly washing scalp with low poo... I REALLY dont want to used medicated poo, really want to try natural remedies... but i suppose i need to know what it is first!

thanks for any help!!

SV xXx

MOOBUG
April 22nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Sounds like you might have a bit of eczema. could be caused by diet change. I had the same thing when I went veggie about 8 years ago now. Keep up with the primrose and flax! You might also have an allergy to a meat substitute like soy?

What does the skin under the flakes look like?

StephanieB
April 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
Please, I still need help
You've already been given the best possible advice: You need to visit your doctor, at this point. :)

If there is nothing medically wrong that an exam reveals, then ask your doctor if s/he thinks that your dietary change might possibly be the culprit. If your doctor can't tell you what s/he thinks is wrong - try seeing a dermatologist... and you might consult a nutritionist, if you haven't already done so before going vegetarian.

Herbal and natural remedies are fine for many issues - but sometimes medical intervention is necessary. It sounds like you've gone about as far as you an go on your own, and now it's time to see your doctor. :)

Besides everything else I've said, please remember that open sores on your scalp are high risk for infection of any kind - and some are very serious, these days!

I hope that you find relief soon!

Flynn
April 22nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Please, I still need help, i've started low-pooing occationally, im worried that i might have seborrheic dermatitis, i *know* there is a thread on the subject here somewhere, i've looked and looked but i cant find it! link me please!!!

Im getting crusty areas on my scalp, and if i pull a bit off it looks like a clear orange, kinda dried syrup texture rather than flakes of skin... I cant look at my own scalp (obviously!) and there is no-one i can get to do it for me as im living at work!

I've just started coconut oiling continuously then thoroughly washing scalp with low poo... I REALLY dont want to used medicated poo, really want to try natural remedies... but i suppose i need to know what it is first!

thanks for any help!!

SV xXx

You definitely need to go to a doctor for this. It might be seborrheic dermatitis (or similar), it might be an infection, or it might be just such severe allergic irritation that you've got cracks that have started to weep a bit. If it's not just skin flakes coming off, it is serious.