PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Those With Allergies!

Shicurls
March 16th, 2010, 05:40 PM
So, I am facing a dilemma of sorts. As my health is spirally downward (temporarily) I find that I am much more sensitive to all things cosmetics. :rolleyes: AND, I need to stay away from EO's and natural products because I'm developing sensitivities to those too! ARRGGGHHH! I love my Kiss My Face and AOHR, but I can't use them until I get better. The fragrances to my VO5 and Suave are too much for me.

I'm stuck in this situation until I am finished up with a long course of antibiotics and I simply don't know how long that will be. :shrug: I figured I would inquiry here to all of you lovely people. I know there are many on here with allergies, suppressed immune systems, and sensitivities. :) I would love any guidance. Especially in regards to hair care! Thanks guys! :flowers:

Shicurls
March 17th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Anyone? No? Okay.....

Beesweet
March 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Here is a link (http://www.modernherbalist.com/chemsens.html) on it.

Not sure that it is the best article on what I am thinking about but it will get you started in a google search on your own.

When you mentioned long-term antibiotic treatment, I immediately thought of yeast overgrowth.
Have you considered that you have a yeast overgrowth going on in your gut, related to the antibiotic use?

Are you doing any dietary stuff to offset the antibiotics? That would be my first suggestion to you -- get on anti-yeast diet. It won't hurt you, though it is kind of a pain.

I can answer questions if you have any.

Joette
March 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I don't have allergies myself, but products from Vanicream (http://www.psico.com/) look like they might be up your alley for the short term

paperwhite
March 17th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I don't personally have any allergies or even any sensitivities, really, so I can't give you any first hand advice. What I have heard though, is that it's generally a good idea to try and use products that have as little added dye and fragrance as possible. I'd even go so far as to switch your laundry detergent if you think that will help.

A few good looking links came up on Google with just a search for shampoo:

http://www.google.com/search?q=fragrance+and+dye+free+shampoo&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

HTH! Good luck :)

Shicurls
March 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help! I am on an anti-yeast diet and supplements, and thank you for the links and suggestions!

papillion
March 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I can only use fragrance free products, and there are only two brands I've found that I can use. I find that I am very restricted in what I can and can't use, and I often just have to 'make do' with products that don't particularly suit my hair because there just isn't anything else available.

The first is Simple - their entire range is non-scented. www.simple.co.uk

The second is part of the Boots Expert range, they do a selection of unfragranced items. www.boots.com

I don't know if either of these will be available where you are, but it might be worth trying to find them.

HairColoredHair
March 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Perhaps try Castile Soaps and the variations thereof? They're basically olive oil made soap and nothing else, which ought to be fairly safe for you to use. And perhaps oils or coconut milk or similar for moisturizing qualities?

Anje
March 17th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I know some scent-sensitive people really like the Goth Rosary (http://www.gothrosary.com/) products. It seems a little strange that a largely fragrance-selling website is great for unscented haircare, but the owner seems happy to provide the same products without adding her fragrances.

chopandchange
March 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks, Papillion, for directing us towards "Simple." I am sensitive to fragrances too, and tried the Boots fragrance-free condish a while ago and it was no good on my hair. I hadn't heard of Simple and have just checked out their website. Will need to give their conditioner a go - and am also drooling over just about the rest of their entire range and wishing I could buy it all! :) ETA: it may sound odd to drool over toiletries, but it's not when you are sensitive and find it hard to use just about anything at all!

Shicurls
March 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Thank you for the references! I had to go get something today while I search for stuff online. I picked up Aquaphor's Body/Hair Wash and Aura's Hypoallergenic Conditioner and Gel. The Aura doesn't look very hypoallergenic but it is fragrance free and my hope is that it works for now. :shrug: it is odd to me to be living in a fragrance free world right now, but I do hope these changes will help in the healing process.

coscass
March 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Not sure if this will help at all, but there's this brand of hair and make up products that are all halal (gelatin free and all that, but I think they're mostly all natural products, too (I think a lot are scent-free too), so I imagine they'd be easier on your skin and hair).

I don't remember the name right now, but I'll search around and see what I can come up with.

EDIT: Here. I think this place is based in the UK, but maybe you can find somewhere in your area that carries it, or something. http://www.hussana.com/shop/index.php

coscass
March 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Perhaps try Castile Soaps and the variations thereof? They're basically olive oil made soap and nothing else, which ought to be fairly safe for you to use. And perhaps oils or coconut milk or similar for moisturizing qualities?

Don't mean to shoot this idea down- but I used to use this soap last year and it worked great. But I've found that lately when I use it I get really itchy. Not hives, exactly, but I do get itchy.

metalgypsy85
March 17th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Jason has a fragrance free shampoo and conditioner that I used to use and love.

Shicurls
March 17th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I will check these new sites as well! In regards to castile soap. I will give it another shot. I find that i do get itchy with it as well, but it had lavender and I need to try the one without it.

papillion
March 18th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Thanks, Papillion, for directing us towards "Simple." I am sensitive to fragrances too, and tried the Boots fragrance-free condish a while ago and it was no good on my hair. I hadn't heard of Simple and have just checked out their website. Will need to give their conditioner a go - and am also drooling over just about the rest of their entire range and wishing I could buy it all! :) ETA: it may sound odd to drool over toiletries, but it's not when you are sensitive and find it hard to use just about anything at all!

I completely understand getting excited about it! I was the same when I first discovered the Boots range. It's just so nice to have something new for a change.

I only really use the Boots intensive conditioner as a base for my SMTs, I find that Simple generally suits me better.

At one point all Simple shampoo and conditioner vanished from the shops, and I was panicking because there was nothing else I could use. It is easier to find now, but I've got into the habit of stocking about two months' supply, just in case. It's almost always available via Boots online though.

countryhopper
March 22nd, 2010, 05:27 AM
I've had great results for the last 4+ months using just baking soda and tea rinses for washing my hair. Maybe it would work for you, too? No chemicals or EO, either!

Here's what I do:

1/2 tablespoon baking soda dilluted in about 1 cup warm water. Massage well over scalp and allow to run down length. Rinse with regular water.

Follow up with tea rinse: just regular ol' cheap black tea steeped and cooled and poured over scalp/length. Another quick massage and rinse with water and I'm done!

Others have had great results using ACV or white vinegar instead of tea, but that makes my hair limp and greasy looking. You can also use lemon juice. But you MUST follow up a baking soda wash with an acidic rinse to keep your hair from being too dry. It'll make the cuticle on the hair shaft lay down again.

Hope this helps!!

Shicurls
March 22nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks countryhopper! I'm not sure that would work on the curls, but I'll give it a shot! Why not? :) So far, my hair has been doing really well with the stuff I have been using, although the conditioner is not moisturizing enough, I am able to stretch out washes like I've never been able to before! So we'll see! I may end up transitioning to a more WO/CO with oilings. I'm gonna keep experimenting!

countryhopper
March 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Thanks countryhopper! I'm not sure that would work on the curls, but I'll give it a shot! Why not? :) So far, my hair has been doing really well with the stuff I have been using, although the conditioner is not moisturizing enough, I am able to stretch out washes like I've never been able to before! So we'll see! I may end up transitioning to a more WO/CO with oilings. I'm gonna keep experimenting!

Hmmm... sorry, didn't notice you had curls!! Yes, maybe the baking soda would be too drying. Maybe just stick with either vinegar rinses or tea?

You might want to google "no poo curly girl method" and see what you come up with... I know there's tons of info on no poo for curlies! Just can't remember any of it now! :D

Felix_D
March 24th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I had an allergic reaction a couple summers ago to a bug bite and had pretty terrible swelling, redness, and itchiness for a few weeks. For a year afterwards, I would turn red and swell at the slightest touch, bump, or scratch. It did go away, but it took a long time.

On the plus side, since my immune system was on hyper-vigilent mode, I didn't get any viral or bacterial illnesses during this time.

I took 10 mg Reactine (Zyrtec, in the states) every day to keep things under control, which worked really well. I was able to eventually go to every-other-day, then stop all together. Drugs aren't bad, talk to the pharmacist to ask about OTC options for allergies.

Purdy Bear
March 24th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I have very sensitive skin, so when my hair regrows Im thinking of only using the water only method.

Some make-ups are worse then others for sensitive skins. Iv tried Beauty without Cruelty, Almay, and some suggested I use Clinque, but at present I just stick with a moisteriser (Aquis, which has just lost its licence for it so I dont know what to use now).