PDA

View Full Version : Summers a-comin'. What do DO?

coscass
March 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM
It's a really, really nice day here, and... I have frizz SO. BAD. Not just "frizz", but that frizz that makes your already-coarse hair feel ten time more coarse an stick up all over the place. It feels like every hair on top of my head is an inch long and sticking up.

What do I DO? Besides clever little updos and styles to find them, can I actually remedy the situation, not just mask it? I'm considering trying a coney conditioner for a few weeks this summer to see if that makes a difference, because this is just torture- and it hasn't even really begun yet.

Hana
March 16th, 2010, 10:55 AM
oils!
coat hair, then bun/braid up.

that way its all hidden away and protected from the elements, as well as having the oil doing its thing on top. i think of it as a castle wall around my hair. My hair is my castle, and I'm protecting against enemies. grrrrrrrr :luke:

or, if its not that severe, why not try oil in a mister bottle? so you can do a lighter coating.

Tangles
March 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Trying CO-ing like once a week with either a coney or nonconey conditioner. You can shampoo in between if you want. It should help your hair grab more moisture.

klcqtee
March 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hm, oil and damp bun, then take it down from the bun when dry and it'll at lest make the coarse hair lie down a little.

ravenreed
March 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I don't like the oily look on my scalp hair, so I don't use oils there. I use either a bit of rose water, or if it is really bad aloe vera gel.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
oils!

I second that! :D

little_cherry
March 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM
How about glycerin? I have some mixed with rosewater and it works fantastic. :)

Ursula
March 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Generally, I find moisture helps control frizz, particularly frizz caused by high humidity.

'Cones can seal out the humidity, controlling the frizz that way, but once you clarify out the 'cones, hair can often be more dry, and frizz worse.

When I first started at LHC, CWC washes helped control frizz better than my old routine (shampoo, sometimes conditioner, and nothing else.) I've found that CO washing works well, too.

Kimberlily's defrizz spray is excellent for detangling, conditioning, and giving a quick burst of moisture to calm hair when its dryness is starting to interact with air humidity and cause frizz.

A moisturizing leave in, such as Curls Souffle, Oyin Whipped Pudding, or Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning cream also can help, when applied to wet hair after washing.

Athena's Owl
March 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM
coscass, i note that you indicate that you're a type 3 curly. have you evaluated your hair for porosity and texture, first of all?

porosity test: take one hair, drop in a basin of standing water.

if it sinks to the bottom fairly quickly, your hair is higly porous.
if it floats, but will sink after an hour or two then you're looking at a moderate level of porosity.
if it floats, keeps floating, and pops back to the surface even after soaking for a couple hours, your hair is not very porous at all.

This measure is going to help you figure out how to wash, condition, and style your hair. it's the key to whether you're likely to be able to use proteins, emollients, or humectants, and when

what do i mean, when?

the next thing you need to know is that curly haired women DO NOT have one set routine and one set of products that will work fine through every circumstance. you are going to have to start monitoring dewpoints and changing how you wash and style your hair accordingly. when your dew point is low, humectants are going to make your hair look like dry straw - and when the dew point is high, humectants are going to swell up your hair shaft like whoa and leave you looking floofy and frizzy. but in the between dewpoints, those same ingredients will give you amazing, wonderful curls.

in winter I have learned that i must avoid humectants like the very plague - matrix biolage conditioning balm, the holy grail of so many curlies here, is *worse than useless* to me in the winter. but i may find that it is amazing come warmer weather and higher dew points in april - and then usless again in july.

awareness of what ingredients are in your hair products and your home kitchen treatments and knowing when to use what is going to help you have super hair.

Isilme
March 16th, 2010, 04:33 PM
a few strokes with a boar bristle brush usually works:)

Firefly
March 16th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Generally, I find moisture helps control frizz, particularly frizz caused by high humidity.

This has been my experience as well. For years and years I avoided wetting/misting my hair in the high humidity of summer because I thought it would make my frizz worse... little did I know I couldn't have been more wrong! I use Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray and it works like a charm.

GoddesJourney
March 16th, 2010, 10:00 PM
CO is nice for that, as is a good leave in conditioner.

Katze
March 17th, 2010, 02:26 AM
My hair is terribly, horrendously frizzy and I have four-inch new growth sticking up all over my head. Also, it does not want to lie flat but rather loops and lumps all over my scalp.
NOTHING works. Aloe is way too weak. Huge amounts of hair gel help, but then it gets hard and crusty.
Lately, I have been using Goth Rosary conditioner to slick my hair down before putting it into an updo. At least from the front, this seems to help. When I do it, I also only ever do it on dirty hair (days 3-4) so that the sebum is already helping making things lie flat.
Otherwise I don't think there is any solution, but as a curly, more moisture might help you more than it helps me...