PDA

View Full Version : The urge to cut :(

chopandchange
March 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Edit: I have finally got my pics to post correctly and they are on page 4, post #31, if anyone wants to give their verdict on my trim!

I am feeling rather pooey about my layered hair and am experiencing the urge to cut the longest layers off to get it all to being blunt. The longest layers are well past waist. But the highest layers are only at BSL, which feels so short. I spent ages growing out my bleach to waist-length a few years ago, and then cut to get rid of it, so cutting AGAIN would feel like yet another step backwards. Sigh. Also, my hair is so thick that I KNOW it would just go POUF and stick out like a triangle if it were one-length at BSL, so even though my layers are annoying me, I think they're actually a blessing in disguise.

What to do?

Most of my hair is concentrated in the top layers, with the underneath layers being quite thin and in a V shape. My plan thus far has been to micro-trim all over equally (layers included) until the bottom layers reach tailbone, and then continue to micro-trim the top layers but gradually cut back the long layers until it all meets evenly. I have been doing micro-trims regularly in this way, (about every three months) and thought I was happy with this plan, but now the bottom layers are just ANNOYING me because they are so thin in comparision to the rest that they look scraggly even though they aren't. But nobody ever sees my hair down except me, so this shouldn't bother me. Sigh.

Also another issue is that my trimming method, whilst working for me, is somewhat unconventional. I simply section off my hair all over and trim individual strands one by one. This works for me because my hair is layered and thick, but if I want my ends to start looking blunt I am going to need to do Faye's straight across trim to start cutting off my V, and I am scared it won't work and I will make a mess of it. :(

Please feel free to tell me what you think I should do! I would add a poll, but I'm not sure how.

Options:

1. Do an all-over micro-trim (now due anyway) and see how I feel.
2. Micro-trim the top layers, but cut significantly more off the bottom layers, to thicken them up.
3. Cut a LOT more off the bottom layers to make the whole thing blunt. (Afterwards cry and wish I hadn't done it because my hair feels so short).

CrisDee
March 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I would just do a small trim of the bottom layers to begin the evening-up process, and maybe a dusting of the rest if you really feel it needs it. I'm at the point where I don't want to ever do anything again to my hair that will make me cry - but that's just me :flowers:

Pixna
March 16th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Well, if you want to grow out the layers, I would encourage you to stop the micro-trims altogether. I would suggest trying a VERY small hemline-only trim using Feye's method to start. Trim off no more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch, in case something goes awry. I would do the method where you hold your head straight (don't bend it forward or backward), to be on the safe side. Then, when you get more confidence, you can do a 1/2 to 1 inch blunt trim.

I would not do more than that for now. See how you like it. It might be enough to thicken up your hemline without your having to lose anything noticeable in your length. You can just continue to do this every four months for the next year, and I would bet that by then you'll be very pleased and won't have lost your length in the process!

marikamt
March 16th, 2010, 08:04 AM
if that is your hair in your avatar, I think it looks really pretty... I (personally) would not cut..... as always wait at least the two week rule, although for a chop that large, I would wait longer.
Personally, I would maintain where you are to grow out the layers (if blunt is what you want)...
But again, I think your hair looks very pretty as is....

MerryKat
March 16th, 2010, 08:14 AM
As someone who has just been rescued from chopping by my wonderful friends here at LHC (Renegrays) I would say don't chop.

I agree with Pixna, stop trimming the layers (use S&D if you feel the there are splits which need controled) and start self-trimming half an inch every few months. Your hair looks amazing as it is right now.

curlylocks85
March 16th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I think you are undecided about what you want - a blunt hemline, or layers. I think you need to decide what it is you want. Once you do then it will be obvious if you should cut or not.

If you decide you want a blunt hemline, then trim off a 1/2" or less every, at whatever variable you prefer, until all the layers are gown out and then even things up. This way you do not lose length.

If you want the layers, then just do what you are doing until your hair grows out of this awkward stage.

Monsterkitti
March 16th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I have pretty much the same layers as you but am slightly behind length wise. I have a BSL thick layer and then a thinner waist length layer.

I was toying with cutting back but I cant set myself back that far, it'd make me sad :)

Im planning on babying it to waist and then cutting the monthly growth off the longest layer till the BSL one catches up, minimal dusting of the top later. Maybe that would work for you at hip or tailbone?

It would mean you could loose your layers gradually so you can see if you want a blunt cut without loosing heaps of length.

restourceful
March 16th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Agreed with all who say stop cutting the layers (except S&D as needed) and begin trimming length until layers catch up. This is my plan when I hit waist. My longest layer is about two inches from waist now; my shortest layers are just about to touch my shoulders. I'll have a long wait for all of it to be the same length, but I would be extremely sad if I lost all the length I've worked so hard for all at one time. And I agree about the two week rule, too.

But it is your hair and you must do what will make you feel best about it. If you think a big cut will make you happier, go for it! Just remember, you can always take more off, but you can't put it back on.

tokidokichi
March 16th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I would say option 2, that how I would do it and you wouldn't be in complete shock! :)

princessp
March 16th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I would just do a small trim of the bottom layers to begin the evening-up process, and maybe a dusting of the rest if you really feel it needs it. I'm at the point where I don't want to ever do anything again to my hair that will make me cry - but that's just me :flowers:

i agree! and if that is your hair in your avatar, it really looks quite beautiful as is. but i do understand how you feel, def. been there.

hendrix.co
March 16th, 2010, 11:25 AM
After the 2 week wait and you decide to cut it maybe start slow 1/2 inch a week. That way if you change your mind you only have to cry a little :)

Juliannaissance
March 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I feel this way too! :D

chopandchange
March 16th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Thank you for all the replies!

Yes, that is my hair in my avatar. Thank you for the nice comments but it's not really possible to see the thin ends from such a tiny photo.

No, I don't want layers. Sorry, I should have made that more clear. I just have them at the moment. They annoy me but I'm trying to be patient with them. My ultimate goal is loooooong hair with a blunt hemline.

I appreciate all the advice to stop micro-trimming my layers, but that's what works for me. I do S&D occasionally, but find it gives me eye-strain. I think my eyesight is far more precious than my hair, so I am not willing to do the mammoth amounts of S&D that would be necessary should I stop trimming. And I think micro-trimming is a better solution than not trimming at all and having terrible ends. Whilst I do want my hair to be as long as possible, I'd rather it were a tiny bit shorter and healthy, than as long as possible and raggedy looking. So I will keep up with the microtrims. :)

I think I will do my usual micro-trim everywhere but cut some more off the bottom layers. Ooooooooh, I hope I don't mess it up! :eek: I hope I have the guts to go through with it! I may just chicken out and just end up micro-trimming as usual...

Thanks again for all the advice!

Capybara
March 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I know you've already made your decision, but, just in case this is not too late, I just wanted to add my two cents ;)

Your hair may be thin at the ends (although it looks anything but, from your avatar!) but it doesn't seem to be damaged, so you can probably gradually cut out the "wispiness" while still keeping length in the meantime. I think you made a good decision, because it works for you (:

Good luck with the trim! I'm no expert, but when I do Feye's self trim, I usually only trim miniscule amounts at a time, and have to go back and trim more off to make it even. It works best on me if I repeat the steps a few times, trimming off only a tiny bit each time. Don't worry, you'll do fine!!

klcqtee
March 16th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I'm voting four a fourth option. I say every 3 or 4 months, cut a half inch off your hemline, until you reach tailbone (which it seems is your goal). Once you hit tailbone, party! Okay, party's over, let it grow a little past tailbone (an inch or two), then make a big chop, and cut off three inches (going from just below tailbone, to just above tailbone) from your hemline. It'll help you gain length (since you're close to your goal!), and take care of the layers. I also don't think you should continue to micro trim your layers. I think you should do some S&D when you need it, but otherwise leave your layers alone.

I also think you have some of the most beautiful hair I've ever seen, and your ends don't look scraggly at all.

ETA: Whoops, guess you made your decision already. Hope everything works out!

chopandchange
March 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Thank you for all the replies and kind advice! I think I will trim it tonight, because it's a cardio day, so I will be washing my hair anyway (I prefer trimming wet).

I know the one vital thing missing here is PICTURES! I don't have a digital camera at the moment, just an i-phone. I will attempt to take some over-the-shoulder bathroom mirror "before and after" pics with my i-phone...even though I don't think I know how to post them on a thread! :o And I don't expect they will turn out very good quality, but it will be better than nothing. ETA: well, I took pics but they just turn out like the one in my avatar. Since they are only camera phone pics, you can't really see the detail of my ends.

Sunny_side_up
March 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM
You have beautiful hair,

Maybe like what others have said you can trim the longest layers while the rest of the length catches up, i did that over a 2year period and had healthy even length hair creeping up to armpits after the mini chop process then i went and got layers again:rolleyes: now its grow grow grow until i have alot more length then end trims and someday all one length again? :)

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 10:26 AM
I did it! I cut off about two inches of my V last night!

Now the base layer isn't as thin and raggedy-looking as it was before. It feels much better, as well as looking better, though it's still not as blunt as I'd like.

I couldn't get it perfectly straight, but I don't suppose it matters, since my hair is quite thick and wavy, so it won't show (and nobody ever cares about my hair except me, anyway)!

I have lost about 4 months of progress, but to be honest I can't really notice that it feels shorter, and I should be back to where I was by August, but with thicker ends. :cheese:

I can't wait to be all blunt!

Pixna
April 3rd, 2010, 10:38 AM
chopandchange, that's wonderful!! I'm so glad you are happy with your trim and that it doesn't feel noticeably shorter to you. You're on your way to blunt now -- woohoo!!!!! :happydance:

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
Thank you Pixna! I want my ends to look like yours. Our hair types look similar, and your ends look beautiful. :)

Yes, I was surprised it didn't feel shorter, and I didn't feel upset or feel the urge to cry afterwards! But I didn't!

I suppose this is the first major trim I've done in ages, having just been micro-trimming, so it kind of feels like I can "spare the hair!"

Hey, I made up a new LHC rhyme! :) I can spare the hair! Hee hee!

Pixna
April 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Good rhyme, C&C!! :gabigrin:

I'm sure your ends will be super thick, especially once the layers grow out. Hopefully, we'll be hair twins by then (I'll have your length and you'll have my ends)!! :pray:

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Deal!

:cheese:

RecklessCharlie
April 3rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
I have the same issue - layers urrgh!
The urge to cut them has been getting stronger of late. But I'm finally at waist and don't want to set myself back.
On the other hand my hair is littered with splits and damaged ends....I was actually looking at the clippers the other day contemplating what it would be like to buzz it all off and start fresh.
The madness nearly took hold!!

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
If the trimming urge just won't go away and it's been there for weeks or even months, it's probably a sign that you should give into it! That's what I did, and now I am so much happier with my base layer being a bit shorter and thicker.

Trimming your base layer would be MUCH BETTER than buzzing it all off! :eek:

I have got a new camera now, so once I have got the hang of it, I will try and post a picture of my post-trim hair.

flowerlovelong
April 3rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
Beautiful hair! I'd only do very little, nothing too drastic you'd regret in the morning.

Thanks for asking about this, as I too have been contemplating an evening of the bottom layers. I've learned a lot in my short time here and hope to make the best of it.

restourceful
April 3rd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Good for you, C&C! I'm so glad you are happy with it. Can't wait to see pictures.:cheese:

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
My new avatar pic shows my "new" hair after the trim! I don't know if people will remember my hair from the old pic - the ends were more raggedy!

I hope that is enough picture evidence - I can't figure out how to post pics in a thread. :(

restourceful
April 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
WOW! Beautiful C&C! I think it looks fantastic.

Here's a link for how to add pictures in your posts:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7240

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
*Waits excitedly for someone to notice the pic of her new hair*

EDIT: LOL! Restourceful noticed already! Thank you, Restourceful!

Edit again: now my ends look a bit like Pixna's! Waiting for Pixna to notice and do the happy cheese man dance...

Pixna
April 3rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
GREAT job, C&C!! Your ends look fabulous!! :cheese:

Your hair looks lighter, too. Is it just the lighting in the shot? I can really see the similarity in our texture now. Now doubt about it -- we are destined for twinhood!! :redgrin:

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
I am hoping I can get pics to post, but I've never done it before, so it'll probably go wrong...

Here goes!

Before: (Dec 09, showing raggedy ends, so you can see what all the fuss was about)

http://my.picresize.com/vault/1U0NNH6UWM.jpg

After: (April 2010)

http://my.picresize.com/vault/I08AMEME3I.jpg

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
After pic (hopefully will work this time):

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
WOW! Beautiful C&C! I think it looks fantastic.

Here's a link for how to add pictures in your posts:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7240

Thank you for your helpful guidance. I have been able to post my "before" pic, but still can't get the "after" pic to work.

GREAT job, C&C!! Your ends look fabulous!! :cheese:

Your hair looks lighter, too. Is it just the lighting in the shot? I can really see the similarity in our texture now. Now doubt about it -- we are destined for twinhood!! :redgrin:

Thank you, Pixna! I am quite happy with them, except I botched it a bit and it's a bit wonky. It's a good thing I don't have straight hair.

Yes, that's the lighting. Neither of those pictures are accurate. The "before" shot taken in the bathroom makes my hair look dull and darker than it really is. The "after" shot makes it look more orangey. In actual fact, it is brown with sort of red glinty highlights. :confused:

What colour is your hair?

restourceful
April 3rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
You have really beautiful hair! And I'm glad I could be of service. I'm just paying it forward after being pointed in the right direction by many helpful LHCers when I was still learning. :bowtome:

Umm, have you checked the size of the after pic? Perhaps it's too large? Just a thought. :hmm:

I'll give you some happy cheese dance man, too!:cheese:

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I have managed to put it into my album but can't get it to show on this thread.

restourceful
April 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Well, I'm stumped. :doh:

Pixna
April 3rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
I just checked your album and WOW, you did a great job! I must say that your hair looked angelic before, but your ends look phenomenal now!! Here's a shout out to go with the cheese guy: :happydance:

My photos are terrible at showing my actual color. If you look in my album at my "Before the Massacre" pic, my hair looks almost blond -- so much so that some people at LHC have asked me it was dyed (either before or after The Massacre) and it wasn't. It's just the lighting. My natural color is quite a bit like how yours sounds -- brown with red highlights. However, those red highlights have been replaced now with silvers. I've got substantial amount of "tinsel" in my hair these days. :smirk:

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Thank you for checking my album and for the shouting cheese man!

Yes, it's funny how hair colour is never accurate in photos, isn't it? My hair seems to look a different colour in every pic - literally! And I've just noticed that, for some reason, it looks as though I have dark roots in my latest pic! I swear I haven't been dying my hair - won't be doing that again in a hurry after how long it took to grow out! :eek:

MissMandyElizab
April 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
I would do the all over micro trim and go on from that.

chopandchange
April 3rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks, MandyElizabeth, but I've already done it! I trimmed 2 inches!

chopandchange
April 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Hooray! I finally got my "after" pic to post!

For my before and after pics, see post number 31! :cheese:

I am a bit sad that I have lost some length and it will take a while to grow back, but I am very pleased that my ends now look and feel a lot better, so it was worth it!

PhillyGirl26
April 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Resist that urge girl! You will regret it after, your hair is so beautiful don't cut it

cmnt831
April 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hooray! I finally got my "after" pic to post!

For my before and after pics, see post number 31! :cheese:

I am a bit sad that I have lost some length and it will take a while to grow back, but I am very pleased that my ends now look and feel a lot better, so it was worth it!

It looks really good! :flower: It will grow back before you know it.

spidermom
April 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Wow - beautiful result. Well done!

Maddy25
April 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Wow I just saw the after pic, looks much thicker :)

Sheltie_Momma
April 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm so glad you posted, my hair looks like your before and I want it to look like your after! I hate to cut the longest part, which in my case is also the healthiest part (being that it is underneath all the top layers and didn't get the brunt of the flat iron in my flat ironing days). But you've inspired me!

PrincessTieflin
April 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
wow I saw your before and after pics, what a difference! It looks beautiful :)

chopandchange
April 14th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

The difference is not quite as dramatic as it appears from those pics, because the first pic was a bad photo - of uncombed hair taken from a side angle on a camera phone into a bathroom mirror. :confused:

The second pic is combed hair taken on my new digital camera!!:cheese:

share801
April 14th, 2010, 02:53 PM
You have beautiful hair!

little_acorn
April 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
WOW you hair looks awesomely thicker after the cut and still beautifully long :flower: