PDA

View Full Version : should I cut if ends are see through?

share801
March 16th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Would u cut if you had see through ends from BSL to waist? My hair is very fine rather than actually damaged (I think). Just wanting some honest opinions. BSL sounds so short! But frumpy is not a look I aspire to either. TIA

ilovelonghair
March 16th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Do you have pictures to show us? It might not be as bad as you think :)

share801
March 16th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I don't know how to post them.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 16th, 2010, 03:23 AM
start an album and post the picture's link over here?

Charlotte
March 16th, 2010, 03:34 AM
My hair is also very fine and there's not a great deal of it. It is now skimming my hips. Sometimes I think it looks too thin to be so long as it has a veil like see-through appearance at times. I have also been wondering whether I should chop. :confused:

Other people seem to think it looks pretty though so I guess it's not as bad as I think it is... :)

share801
March 16th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Thanks but it gives me an error. Can you see this page? http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/sh13j5/?action=view&current=5174.jpg

Feli
March 16th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I would definitely go for the chop, but that's because I am absolutely not a fan of what others refer to as "fairytale ends". I've just chopped off 3 inches of my hip-legth hair because i just think it looks miles better with a nice thick hem. Just my opinion though, like I said, some people seem to like see-through ends

Monsterkitti
March 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM
If you think there could be any damage in there as well as your natural fineness I would maybe suggest maintaining where you are or a smidge shorter to see if you can get some extra thickness.

If it is your natural fineness then I think it really depends how happy you are having more fairytale ends, Im not personally aiming for them on my hair but they can look really pretty.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 16th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I think you have a frizz problem, which is preventing your hair from looking its best. I suggest gentle washing methods and moisture treatments, to see your hair in good condition. Then, if you still don't like the see-through ends, you can always chop it off.

Fairytale ends look best on healthy hair ;)

supermanok03
March 16th, 2010, 05:21 AM
i would chop. i've been debating the exact same thing (getting closer to tailbone than i have been in years!) but it's fairytale ends so i have to chop about 3 to 4 inches :'(
but like the above poster said, i think it looks better to have a nice hemline than ends that are getting scraggly-looking.
i feel your pain! i'll be going in for the chop within the next few weeks :(

hendrix.co
March 16th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I vote chop. The bottom of your hair looks damaged. I think after you cut you need to oil and condition. Oil and condition. I take healthy shiny hair over length any day.

CrisDee
March 16th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I'm also voting to chop, I'm another one who's more of a fan of a thick, healthy, even hemline and not so much of fairly tail ends. It might be easier for you to manage as well, having the thickness more uniform - just a thought...

MandaMom2Three
March 16th, 2010, 06:21 AM
If it were me, I'd chop and then baby my hair like mad to keep it in as best condition possible while it grows out so hopefully I can maintain some thickness.

Jeni
March 16th, 2010, 06:25 AM
If it was my hair I would cut it and work on growing out a thicker hem.

Its your hair so do what makes you happy. I'd advise thinking about it for a couple weeks and then if you decide to cut back to BSL maybe only cut a few inches at a time instead of one big chop.

myotislucifugus
March 16th, 2010, 06:41 AM
i would chop. i've been debating the exact same thing (getting closer to tailbone than i have been in years!) but it's fairytale ends so i have to chop about 3 to 4 inches :'(
but like the above poster said, i think it looks better to have a nice hemline than ends that are getting scraggly-looking.
i feel your pain! i'll be going in for the chop within the next few weeks :(

I'm about to do the same thing (see siggy). It sucks to lose length, but it'll look amazing when it has grown back out.

TammySue
March 16th, 2010, 07:24 AM
If I were you, I would cut some off. Before cutting to BSL though, try inbetween that and your waist. You may be surprised what a difference it makes! Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out! HTH!

windchijmes
March 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I vote chop. I'm also one of those who prefer healthy hair over length. Like the other members have suggested already, perhaps you can cut off the ends, and then pamper the rest of your hair so that it grows out healthy and shiny! It'll be worth it in time. ^^

Anje
March 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I your case, I would also vote for cutting.

That said, some people prefer fairytale ends, and I think they look outstanding on curly hair. Moreover, some of us don't ever get to fully get away from see-through ends, or at least ends that bunch together and have big gaps of shirt or pants between them. It comes down to personal preference, and to how damaged the ends are.

By the way, I think you're wavier than 2a. You might want to look at some of the wave and curl enhancing measures around here (plopping, fingercombing, minimizing the brushing).

(Also, make sure you realize that a white shirt under dark-ish hair makes see-through-ness painfully obvious. Your hair probably looks like it's in better condition against a black shirt. I know mine does.)

Akiko
March 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM
If I were you, I would cut. Maybe 2 inches first. Then see how I feel. There might be some updos you want to do which might not work shorter than that.

If I am still unhappy at that point, I would trim to BSL.

I just like thicker ends. I kept trimming myself a lot along the way. I was happier and am happy with my ends. It's up to you. But I think growing process is easier if we enjoy our hair now.

Lady Danger
March 16th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I agree with what most of the previous posters have said: cut, and then baby the heck out of your hair. There are great resources here in the articles section. :)

Tap Dancer
March 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I'm not a fan of see through (aka "fairytale ends") on thin hair. To me, it makes the hair look even thinner and scraggly/uncared for. I vote for cutting them off. I think your hair will look much better and it'll probably feel better to you.

Carolyn
March 16th, 2010, 07:51 AM
If I were you, I'd cut 2-3" now and baby my hair for a while. Wait a couple of months and see how it looks. Then if the ends are still thin, cut off another 1-2". It doesn't have to be done all at once.

marikamt
March 16th, 2010, 08:01 AM
If I were you, I would cut some off. Before cutting to BSL though, try inbetween that and your waist. You may be surprised what a difference it makes! Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out! HTH!

I agree with this... start with a smaller trim first, not all the way back to BSL, then pamper, pamper , pamper... LOTS of moisture..... in another 2-3 months, see how your hair is and trim a smaller amount again if needed....
That way you get the healthy hair you want without the shock of a major chop.

ETA: Just read Carolyns post.... what she said :D

lesbia
March 16th, 2010, 08:26 AM
you should make a choise: do you prefer long hair or do you prefere to have a definited hemline?

personally, i prefer long hair. When they'll arrive at my goal, i'll think about my hemline :)

Fairlight63
March 16th, 2010, 08:42 AM
To me your hair looks dry & needs moisture. I would try trimming just a little off the ends & moisturize it & put Jojoba oil on it & bun it up. The jojoba oil works miracles on my hair when it is dry.
I would try to do the post on "Damp Bunning" & see if that helps before cutting off a lot of inches. Unless you want to cut your hair, then that is up to you. But if you are trying to save your length & grow it long, I would try the damp bunning & see if it works for you, then cut if it doesn't work.

little_cherry
March 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM
If I were you, I'd cut 2-3" now and baby my hair for a while. Wait a couple of months and see how it looks. Then if the ends are still thin, cut off another 1-2". It doesn't have to be done all at once.
I agree with this also. :)

restourceful
March 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I agree, except I would trim only an inch, then see what it looks like, then trim another inch and see what it looks like, and so on, until you get the ends you are comfortable with. And of course, pamper pamper pamper so you have healthy hair all the way from roots to ends.

ALenee
March 16th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Is definitely chop! Your ends are very thin. I second what feli said!

Tresses
March 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Wise words from these two. Your hemline is not only thin, it is also uneven. You'd be surprised how much a just a couple of inches taken off can make, especially with an even hemline. This I know from my own experience. :thumbsup:

Deborah
March 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I suggest that you cut to BSL, then oil the ends before every wash, wash very gently, maybe using CO, and keep the ends trimmed in hope that the hair will grow in thicker and fuller with this gentle treatment. Good luck! :flower:

princessp
March 16th, 2010, 10:33 AM
yes, i would trim too even if it is just a bit. good luck!!

Sara Smile
March 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I've been debating the same thing myself. My ends are very thin between waist and tailbone, and I'm going to to maintain at tailbone for a year. If my ends thicken, then great, otherwise I'll cut back to waist and stay there. Good luck!

kirstybn
March 16th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I would do a series of small trims. less traumatizing. I have the same problem. My hair is VERY thin, but working on it!!!!

pennyroyal
March 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM
maybe just a lil bit if it bothers you. if it doesn't bother you tho then leave it be. :)

share801
March 16th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone! It seems pretty much universally agreed to cut some. I think maybe the color I had a year or so ago damaged it, though it seems very soft. I will post an after photo once I get it done.

Katze
March 17th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Yes, you should cut. :)

My hair does similar things and I have been trimming the see through ends for years. At the moment they are still really thin, but the taper is evenly distributed from about shoulder downwards, and I know from past experience that my hair just grows naturally this way.

Fineness has nothing to do with thin ends. Fine hair is not necessarily thin (no matter what all the stylists tell you!). Nor does it have anything to do with taper! My DH is also a finehair, probably a lot like yours, and he has a blunt hemline naturally (and abuses his hair). Go figure!

Personally I do not like the look of taper or of seethrough ends. It is personal preference, and in my case probably jealousy of all the people who did not damage their hair for decades...

dukkelisa
March 17th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I agree with Lesbia, it depends on how you like to wear your hair and what is more important to you...hemline or length. I wear my hair up and so fairytale ends makes no difference to me.

janeytilllie
March 17th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I feel your pain!

Last year my hair was tailbone and thinning alot on the ends.

I was constantly unhappy with my hair so I decided to cut all the way back to APL ( Feel free to look in my albums :) ) I am now happier with hair.

Personally I prefer blut ends but everyone has different likes. It all depends on what you like :).

If your really unhappy with your hair my advice is

to really research and try everything possible before you do a big chop. Nighshades article is really useful and helpful http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Maybe you could cut alittle off first 1 inch - 2 inches and then do mirco trimming each month - 2 months to thicken up? If you still feel unhappy afterwards with your hair then consider chopping to BSL.

Hope this helps :flower:

Henrietta
March 17th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Yes you should.
I had a fight with hairdresser when I went to her last time. It was January, before my "A 100 days to matura exam school party". She wanted to cut my ends. I said "don't you dare. I want my hair to be long." And she said" It won't be long it you have split ends. If your hair will grow f.ex 1 cm, then 2 cm will crumble from the ends."
I always trought that trimmimg ends every month doesn't make sense, as you have 2 cm cut and untli next yme your hair will grow just 1 cm and will become split again. But now I know that my hair will crumble. Now I think that trimming, let's say once a year, is good. If hair grows 12 cm a year, I will have 3-4 cm cut every year, I can stand that lost of lenght.

So trim your ends. If not, it will get more and more split. You'll lost lenght anyway because of crumbling. And if you cut you may start to protect your new ends and they won't became split as fast as before and you won't need to cut them for months:)

Oh, and I have a trick to trim your hair when you have it cut ... not straight but when you have layres. I'm going to do this today. Not ends at the end but the ends that are not as long as main part of my hair.
So: -you need to seperate your hair into two, and clip one half up.
-then separate little strands, 0.5 to 1.0 c, twist them. Now you see the ends of hair that is sticking out from the twist. Cut them along a twisted strand. Do this with all of your hair, then clip it on your neck adn release the second halp. Do the same. I have found it in a housewife's magazine:) Funny.
It helps me, because I have split ends on my whole lenght, even near my ears as I have bangs. And with that trick there's no need to cut my hair drastically because I can find most of split ends, even if they are not at the real end of my hair:)

rchorr
March 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM
If I chopped mine, I'd have to chop nearly a foot :( I tend to wear it up more. Looking at your picture, is your hair a bit curly? If you don't comb it out, the curls actually make it look not quite so see-through. If I comb my hair out, my hair seems to just disappear.

RCHORR'

Nightshade
March 17th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I second (third) the advice of cutting a few inches (say halfway to BSL from where your current hemline is) then focus on moisture. Your hair really looks like it could use some. And you do look more wavy than you have in your profile. Perhaps wash, condition and just finger-comb and see what you end up with? It almost looks like you took a BBB to wavy/borderline wurly hair.

After working on the condition for a month or three, give it another honest evaluation. You may find you only need to take off another inch rather than another 3-4 :)

share801
March 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Everyone who said I am more wavy than it appears may be correct. I wasn't sure which of the type 2s to pick. I don't normally brush so it looks less bushy - I wanted it to hang together a bit more for the picture - I thought it might be easier to see what I really had there. I made an appt for next week with someone new (/shudders). Hopefully she will listen!!

xoxophelia
March 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I think cut back and grow out slowly so the rest of your hairs have a chance to catch up. I think there is a user here named.. CinnamonHair? Something like that, she showed pics when she first joined with somewhat see through ends, she changed her routine and cut back, and now she is very thick long long hair.

Gypsy
March 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I vote chop- all the way to apl!
Then watch how you handle the hair, to me it looks like some rough brushing or combing may be partially to blame judging by the looks of the damage, so be careful there.

IndigoAsh
March 17th, 2010, 01:32 PM
If it were mine I'd cut to the bottom of your shoulder blades. It will grow back super fast!!! Don't despair hair sister.

Prism
March 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I vote for chop.

While some like "fairytale ends" (I don't know why I hate that term), they look best when they are thick. I would cut to BSL and then condition like crazy. Also, I would really like to know what your hair looks like styled with some product applied wet and then left to air dry. The fuzzy/frizzy texture is probably detracting from a healthier, thicker appearance.

Sheltie_Momma
March 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I agree that bringing up the hemline some will look nice. It isn't easy to post a picture for the world to comment on, but the folks here really do have wonderful advice. I just wanted to wish you well and I can't wait to see your post trim pictures!

FrannyG
March 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I would cut it to BSL. Then I would baby it, and have regular tiny trims 3 times a year.

You'll get your length back more quickly than you expect, and you'll be happier with it.

There's a lovely feeling to have thicker, newly cut ends. Best of luck to you. :blossom:

petitepraline
March 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Its really hard to judge since your hair is a bit frizzy. I would recommend some moisture treatments and then evaluate. At the most, I would say trim and inch or two.

MonikaHa
March 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I would trim an inch first, sometimes it can drastically improve the way hair looks.

Bellalalala
March 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'm 100% about healthy ends.

Damaged ends are just a huge invite to splits which can travel up and wreak havoc. I would rather healthy hair at almost any length to damaged longer hair.

If I had your hair, I would hack off what I had to to get to nice fresh ends and baby from there.

Growing out your hair is actually really fun when even at awkward lengths, you know your hair is in good condition. That is, if you can find the patience.

rusika1
March 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm going to vote for trim also. Your ends do look more damaged than naturally thin. If you braid your hair all the way to the end, do you have a really dramatic taper in the last few inches?

A hairstylist is probably going to encourage you to have 4 or 5 inches taken off, just to get you back to a thick hemline. If that amount is going to be too painful to lose all at once, you might want to try Feye's self trim (the link is on LHC somewhere). That way you can take off a little at a time--over the course of days or weeks--until you're satisfied with the results.

vindo
March 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM
This science based article is about the pros and cons of "chop 'n grow" vs. "maintaining":

Even hemline without loosing length (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html) :)

GoddesJourney
March 17th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I would cut if it were my ends were see through for that distance. Probably not all of it that was see through but definately half.

Bellalalala
March 18th, 2010, 05:11 AM
This science based article is about the pros and cons of "chop 'n grow" vs. "maintaining":

Even hemline without loosing length (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html) :)

I read your article, but what about dealing with damage?

For me, at least, damaged ends are a hazard for the rest of my hair and need to be abolished or else I'll find long splits up near my face in no time.

OP's ends look like they may be natural taper, but *could* be damaged. I'm no expert, but a lot of people in this thread seem to be saying it looks like it could be damaged.

What's the strategy in that case???
[fyi: I'm not arguing with you, I *really* want to know, especially dealing with my own hair, and I love your article]

vindo
March 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I read your article, but what about dealing with damage?

For me, at least, damaged ends are a hazard for the rest of my hair and need to be abolished or else I'll find long splits up near my face in no time.

OP's ends look like they may be natural taper, but *could* be damaged. I'm no expert, but a lot of people in this thread seem to be saying it looks like it could be damaged.

What's the strategy in that case???
[fyi: I'm not arguing with you, I *really* want to know, especially dealing with my own hair, and I love your article]
No problem.

A big trim does not necessarily rid you of all damage. For most people damage does happen all over the hair, increasingly down the lengths so that means the bottom 1/4 to 3/4 depending on the person.
For damage frequent and very persistant S&D really helps. My split free hair went to full of splits due to my thyroid condition, now that this is bettering I have been doing S&D, since about mid January and I'm already back to "low amount of splits (and breakage)"..

The OP's hair looks more dry and tapered than really damaged. I wonder if a thyroid condition or some other maybe hormone related health issue could contribute to the thinning an texture?
I would jumpstart with maybe a 1-2 inch trim and then do the monthly routine. Since the transparent part is not very long it will look much different in a half year from now at almost the same length.

Lots of moisturizing like oiling and treatments would also really help I think.

That said- if there is really a health issue that is still existing, chances are nothing other than fixing the health issue will really help. If you shed more than you can trim it will be a lost battle so the shedding rate should be at "your normal".

jera
March 18th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I would vote for cutting, but in stages, because it is too difficult to lose all that length at once. :)

Speckla
March 18th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I would cut to BSL if it were my hair. I chopped from near BSL to shoulder last year to get rid of damaged/breaking thin ends. My hair looked a lot better and healthier and much thicker. It's good to start regrowing with thickier, healthier hair.

hufsa
March 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm going to try this trim, not cut when my hair gets a little longer! Right now it is just a little longer than bsl, and difficult to cut myself. I am also growing out layers...

Maybe that a little s&d will do my hair good... going to look for some scissors... I bought some to use to qut my hair, but I've just moved... so some searching will be required!

adiapalic
March 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Judging from your photo your hair is thicker at the top, so the ends will definitely get thicker over time. The question "to chop, or not to chop" is often asked here--and the answers are never the same. Some people prefer the blunt ends, and others go for the tapering, or "fairytale", ends (which are *usually* (but not limited to) those who don't trim and are growing to terminal length).

While I think both are a perfect individual choice for any person, I trim because I prefer thicker ends. I've had tapering ends before and I didn't feel like babying them so they won't tangle, so I trim them about a half inch at a time (every several months) now.

As far as your own, do what suits you. If you trim, I'd say trim a little at a time. If not, then be patient, baby the ends, and the hair will get a bit thicker and catch up over time. :floweR:

lhangel9
March 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't do the BC. I would however chop a little at a time and do plenty of CO's and WO's. Keep trimming every few months until it's all even. That way you won't lose so much all at once. I made the mistake of doing a BC and still regret it. It's growing back pretty fast fortunately.:cheese:

curlylocks85
March 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
If it were I, I would cut.

Henrietta
March 22nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
Exactly. Cut! If not, you will be loosing lenght anyway because of crumbling.

annuscka
March 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM

You are the hero of my night, seriously! I have the same problem as the thread starter and have had a particularly nasty day with The Ends that almost ended very badly for them (a cm or so has gone already ;) ) - but I feared I'd have to cut off even more to even it out (got an outgrown U-shape with transparency issues). Because I do have taper, but not much damage. But now I'll try your method for a few months - I know I have usually had around a 2 cm growth, and I'm almost at my goal length anyway, so it's more maintenance now. So happy to see an alternative, whatever the end (... ahem) results! :cheese:

MissFrenchTwist
March 23rd, 2010, 04:56 PM
Same here... I think a chop would look better and give you a chance for it to grow back out thicker... I'm not a fan of fairytale ends either.

Capybara
March 23rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
If the ends are damaged, I would cut them.

But, if you are happy with how your hair looks and feels, I would only do a trim - no less than 1/2'' though, and no more than you're comfortable with.

Personally, I think I would, but that's because I'm a blunt hemline fanatic. I like the *look* of fairy tale ends, but not the feel. (if that makes sense :o )

vindo
March 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
You are the hero of my night, seriously! I have the same problem as the thread starter and have had a particularly nasty day with The Ends that almost ended very badly for them (a cm or so has gone already ;) ) - but I feared I'd have to cut off even more to even it out (got an outgrown U-shape with transparency issues). Because I do have taper, but not much damage. But now I'll try your method for a few months - I know I have usually had around a 2 cm growth, and I'm almost at my goal length anyway, so it's more maintenance now. So happy to see an alternative, whatever the end (... ahem) results! :cheese:

:) With that super fast growth it will be even easier! I take comparison pics with the same piece of clothing, same spot, same setting every month...that way I can really see the changes.

girlcat36
March 24th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I struggle with fairly thin, see-through ends. At one point, they were extremely see-through.
Little by little I did small trims over the course of two years. You can see the progression in my album:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=819
I wore it up alot, and self trimmed frequently and was able to thicken up the ends without a huge chop.

clairenewcastle
March 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Speaking as someone who decided to chop a LOT of inches to just below my chin in order to get rid of damage - I miss the length but I don't miss the tangled thin ends. To be left with a thick blunt hemline and healthy hair was reward enough.