PDA

View Full Version : Its not growing at the same rate!

Gilly
March 16th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I went to my hairdresser today for a trim as the "step" that I have at the back of my head is driving me nuts!
She had a good look over my hair and said it was in lovely condition and just needed a bit of shape put in it, so I was happy with that :cheese:
She then had a look at it when it was wet and spotted "the step" it sort of stands away from the rest of my head and looks really odd.:rolleyes: She then picked some up as though she was going to cut it (inbetween fingers) and up near her knuckle about an inch was poking through and at the ends of her fingertips it was the same but in the middle it did not even touch her fingers on the underside!:(
She valiantly worked on my hair for ages, snipping tiny bits off (she knows I am growing it) it looks a hell of a lot better but it seems that this area (across the back of my head) does not grow as quick as the rest, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might help?
I use CV bars occasionally but mainly I am COing with Matrix Biolage conditioning balm, I NEVER use any products like mousses or waxes and clarify at least monthly.
HELP!

Felix_D
March 16th, 2010, 05:15 AM
I hope you get an answer. I'm growing out highlights, and I can see 2" of roots at the back and barely 1/2" at the front, bangs. I've started spot-massages with EVOO on the slow-growing parts, and going to pick up some EOs as per this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001)to see if that helps.

Good luck!

curlylocks85
March 16th, 2010, 07:51 AM
What do you mean by a "step?" Do you have before and after pictures?

heidihug
March 16th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I always thought the hair on the back of my head was slower growing than the rest. But I found out that the culprit was the extra wear and tear on that area. I slept on that hair the most. That hair rubbed against the back of my work chair the most. It was breaking off, and I didn't even know it! I didn't have much in the way of splits, so I thought it was just slower growth.

After I started leaving my hair up in protective buns nearly all the time, I found that that hair was, indeed, not growing slower. It thickened up and caught up (after about four years of careful maintenance). Now, the hair directly on the back of my head is the longest of all.

This is my experience; you may just have greatly different growth rates on different parts of your scalp, some people just do. But, when your hair gets to be long enough to wear in more protective styles, you might want to experiment with it, just to see if it makes a difference. Good luck!

Sara Smile
March 16th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I don't have a defined area, but my hair definitely grows unevenly. The longer it gets, the less obvious it is, but when it was shorter, you could see that my hemline went from blunt after a trim to scraggly in less than a week, from some hairs growing quickly and others growing slowly. I'm not bothered by it, and it happens all over my head, so it's not a problem.

Gilly
March 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Its not damage, it just is shorter than the rest!
I tried DE and that made the rest of it grow well but I had this step! (if you can imaginge how your hair would sit with a big underneath section missing!)
I am hoping to get something that I can apply topically that will give it a boost!
Otherwise I may NEVER be able to grow long hair:( as It has been doing this for years, but have only just found a HD who actually cared enough to investigate further rather than just cutting it off!

cardamom
March 17th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have my nape hairs growing really slow.They are bit curly too when compared to the rest.:)

Roseate
March 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I am hoping to get something that I can apply topically that will give it a boost!
Otherwise I may NEVER be able to grow long hair:( as It has been doing this for years

Well, there's always monistat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1014678). I haven't tried it, but some people swear by it.

My underlayers grow faster than my canopy, leading to a naturally "layered" look if I don't trim. I just had them trimmed off, actually. I think it's pretty normal to have different rates of growth, it's part of what contributes to the fairytale ends non-trimmers get.

You say 'never', though, do you think these hairs are at their terminal length, and are shedding out rather than simply growing slower than the rest?

Gilly
March 18th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Well, there's always monistat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1014678). I haven't tried it, but some people swear by it.

My underlayers grow faster than my canopy, leading to a naturally "layered" look if I don't trim. I just had them trimmed off, actually. I think it's pretty normal to have different rates of growth, it's part of what contributes to the fairytale ends non-trimmers get.

You say 'never', though, do you think these hairs are at their terminal length, and are shedding out rather than simply growing slower than the rest?

I just think it looks so odd to have this bit that looks like somebody has cut the hair inbetween two layers much shorter than the rest.
I think maybe NEVER was a bit extreme for me to use but I don't know if I can cope with the hard work it will take to get it to all one length. They ARE growing but just not as fast as the rest!
I do have some Monistat, maybe I could rub some of that in each night, can't do any harm!