PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Ketoconazol

Xepher
May 3rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hey guys, let me know if i'm making too many threads asking all these "quick questions" of mine, i'm so new to all this and am bursting with curiosity about tons of things :o

Anyway, my question this time is about the Nizoral shampoo with Ketoconazol in it. Someone had posted an article in the Monistat thread((That I couldn't seem to find again! Grr!)) where it mentioned that, if used consistently, it will thicken the hair shafts. I'm willing to give this a try, but since I don't have dandruff, i'm wondering if this will be harmful in the long run.

P.S. I had made a thread about peppermint oil and someone said it's good for oxygenating the skin....if used on the scalp, do you think it would oxygenate that too, and help clear the pores/whatever so hair can grow better?

Iylivarae
May 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Actually, i share your concern about using ketoconazol/other anti-fungals without indication. That's why I don't use monistat... but someone in the monistat-thread said that it should not be a problem... I am just not quite sure with that. Maybe you could ask a dermatologist (and tell me the answer :D).

About peppermint oil... it should have the same effects on your scalp, as it has on your skin.

Xepher
May 4th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Actually, i share your concern about using ketoconazol/other anti-fungals without indication. That's why I don't use monistat... but someone in the monistat-thread said that it should not be a problem... I am just not quite sure with that. Maybe you could ask a dermatologist (and tell me the answer :D).

About peppermint oil... it should have the same effects on your scalp, as it has on your skin.

I use the Monistat and it's never bothered me, but i'd definitely like to look into the Ketoconazol a bit more. I'll keep you updated if I find anything!

Iylivarae
May 4th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Ah, so if you already used monistat, there shouldn't be a big difference, both are used to kill funghi... It didn't damage my hair, just the harsh washing substances found in my shampoo dry it out a bit... maybe you should also see if there is a cream with ketoconazol in... I only know the shampoos.

ravenmerlita
May 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I use Nizoral Shampoo in the prescription strength with 2% Ketaconazole. I've used it for the last nearly a year and my hair is just slightly thicker than it was. It hasn't gotten any finer/thinner, so I guess that's progress.

I found the Nizoral to be really drying for my hair and had to cut down to using just 1-2 times a month. This has probably affected my results.

Nevermore
May 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'm concerned about the non-medical use of anti-fungals as well. In my mind, it's quite a bit like taking a single dose of antibiotics because you sneezed, only in this case, it's like taking a single dose of antibiotics in hopes of making your skin look better. I'm not sure if fungi are like bacteria, but if they are, then using monistat/similar is just asking for resistant types of fungi.

Butters
May 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I use Nizoral to deal with my dandruff and it works great for that. But it is also very drying as the pp mentioned. I am however wary of using it soley for growth/ thickness, having read somewhere (while I was pregnant) that is wasnt safe for pregnant women due to lack of testing. Way to scare a horomonal woman off, right there. ;) Just dont like putting unneccesary drugs into my blood.