PDA

View Full Version : Eyebrows: should I treat them like scalp or like forehead?

tralalalara
March 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM
The skin under my eyebrows is very dry. I don't have much hair on my brows, so the flakes are easily seen and they're big and gross and it's hard to peel it without pulling out the few eyebrow hairs that I have...

Should I use lotion on them? Or should I use conditioner?

I don't know whether to treat my eyebrows like my scalp or like the rest of my face.

I don't use facewash or soap on my skin at all, so it may just be that my eyebrows don't exfoliate as easily.

pelicano
March 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
It could be seborrheic dermatitis, as the eyebrows is a common place for it (I get this too - on my scalp, around my hairline, under my ears, and on my eyebrows). I find vegetable glycerine really helpful.

HairColoredHair
March 15th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I treat eyebrows like any other body hair (not head hair). Soap and scrub.

Gingevere
March 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I used to get acne in my eyebrows, so I always made sure to treat the skin there like the rest of my face. Don't worry about the hairs, they won't get long enough to show any damage no matter what you put on them.

ravenreed
March 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I use castor oil on my face and my eyebrows love it.

sugarpixie10988
March 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
If I were you I'd use lotion, not conditioner. Conditioner could possibly clog your pores which isn't fun. Maybe try using some oil on them, I use extra virgin olive oil on my face which doesn't break me out and it's very moisturizing. I also sometimes use jojoba oil. I prefer using oil to moisturize over lotion by far! Hope this helps.

curlylocks85
March 15th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I would use Petroleum Jelly if you have dry skin flakes.

Cleopatra18
March 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM

i use castor oil too on them its the best :D i believe my eye brows got alot thicker thanks to it after a bad salon experience lol

Yozhik
March 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I get this too! Face lotion always helps me -- just rub it into the eyebrows. It's not like they're long enough to look greasy or anything.

gmdiaz
March 15th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I use a good facial moisturizer (Patricia Wexler) AND pharmacy grade castor oil.

Castor oil on my eyebrows and eyelashes and the skin around my eyes.

Works super well.

crabpixie
March 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I use extra virgin coconut oil in mine, it stopped the flakes and my eyebrows seem much glossier and thicker... no different really to the effect it has on my hair and scalp :)

Capybara
March 15th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I would treat them like a combination of both forehead and scalp (:
Maybe do a sugar scrub like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKrUEtk01Js&feature=channel

Then, use oil/moisturizer/conditioner?

Personally, I like making a sugar scrub as follows:
3 tbspn raw cane sugar (any sugar should work :) )
2 tbspn olive oil
1-2 tbspn milk/cream

I find that this exfoliates and cleanses really well, but also leaves my dry skin soft and moisturized.

Hope this helps! :flowers:

Wicked Princess
March 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I've had this problem in the past, too! I treated it the same way I treated my face.

I did a tiny bit of exfoliating with a face wash (just a tiny bit, enough to loosen the skin without resorting to scratching, and you don't want it to touch your eyelids...they're sensitive!) and followed it up with my creamiest face lotion. It's usually gone the next day. :)

I have also tried olive oil...it also worked for me, but not quite as quickly the exfoliate-moisturize route did.

Prism
March 15th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Hmmm. I'm reading this as you said your skin *under* your eyebrows is dry. I would stick with an oil-free facial moisturizer. Vaseline, mineral oil, and possibly castor oil, too, do not allow your pores to breathe, so I would not use them on my face. Now, if you want to thicken your brows themselves, I would feel comfortable taking a Q-tip and applying the castor oil just to the brows (some have reported success with that), but I wouldn't use castor oil as a skin moisturizer. I've just had too many problems with acne as it is, even getting in the eye area from too much moisture.

Also, have you switched up your eye shadow recently? I found I've narrowed it down to a brand of mineral makeup that really makes my eyelids itch and get dry and flaky when I use it. Whatever the ingredient is (and I really should look and jot it down), it's not a good match for me. I've had friends with the same issue when they wear eye shadow (thought not necessarily mineral only).

ArienEllariel
March 15th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I get that too. I treat my eyebrows like every other part of my face.. put on aloe gel after washing and follow with a little coconut oil. :) Helps so much.

urara12
March 15th, 2010, 11:59 PM
as pelicano said, it's might be SD.
I have SD ( pretty much under contorol) & use same product's
for my face. now I am using water base serum.
if it's not working well I use Eucerin Q10 cream ( white jar) on top of the serum.

jera
March 16th, 2010, 01:34 AM

Another vote for castor oil. It will condition your brows and help the hairs to grow as well. ;)

julliams
March 16th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I use jojoba oil as a moisturiser now. I find it fantastic and in no way "oily". Two/three drops is normally enough for my face with a little left over to smooth over my hair. I would think something like this could only be helpful for dry skin around your eyebrows.

Juliette

Anje
March 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Lotion, petroleum jelly, or oil are probably good places to start for treating the dry skin. Whatever you prefer. Vaseline and non-comedogenic oils should be fine for the skin in small quantities, but rub them in a bit. (I find that even Vaseline absorbs into my skin after a while. It doesn't just sit on top and clog things.) Coconut oil tends to be described as comedogenic, but I think it really varies with the user and perhaps with the nature of the oil.

I get funny, salty little crusties in my eyebrows occasionally. I suspect you're talking about dry skin, but it's worth pointing out that some folks have hyper sweat glands in there that can also make the skin look dry.

klcqtee
March 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Castor oil! Just massage a tiny bit of it into the eyebrow area, and where the skin is dry. Leave it on for 10 minutes. If your skin doesn't absorb it (sometimes it will, sometimes it won't), wipe it away gently with a damp cloth. It shouldn't cause you to break out, and it's very moisturizing, and makes my skin very soft. It works far better than any lotion I've ever tried.

Also, if you have unruly eyebrows (like I do), the castor oil helps to coax them back into position.

Mutinous
March 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I do a combo of both. I have a seaweed facial scrub I use but I moisturise with coconut oil (the same I use for my hair). My skin loves it, and its not broken out into anything acne related, which I really thought it would. I would definately give it a go.

princessp
March 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
i would feel nervous using conditioner next to my eyes. i say coconut oil or some of the other suggestions mentioned.

Toadstool
March 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I'd use E45 cream as it's for dry skin.

Bethie
March 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM
As other people have said, a good face cream or oil would work. I tend to just use an oil-free moisturizer.

bumblebums
March 16th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Absolutely. It makes them darker and glossier! And the skin underneath is fine, too.