PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who COMB your hair.......I've got some major static going on! HELP!

deviantkitten
March 15th, 2010, 03:45 PM
About a week and a half ago, I put away my BBB and started strictly combing. I will still whip out my BBB on wash day to distribute the oils, but other than that, it's combing only. Let me say, WOW! I have had allot less shedding and breakage. Never thought I could do this with my hair! I was always used to either the combs with the tightly spaced prongs of my youth that would shred my hair. I think I have found the right one......EXCEPT when it comes to static electricity.
I use a cheapy plastic comb. I am assuming it is Goody, but there is no markings.
So, my question is this-
Would a wooden comb cut down the static electricity? Or a bone one?
It is pretty cold here, but when I was using my BBB, I never got static electricity like this. Do you think it is the plastic that is causing most of the static?
What have your experiences been?
Which comb can I use in the cold weather that won't cause my hair to stand on end.......or at least make it stand a little less?
Thanks LHC!

Sweetness
March 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Yes, go with a wood or bone comb, and no more static :)

chloeishere
March 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Wood or horn are great, I use both and never have a problem with static.

spidermom
March 15th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I like to rub down the teeth of my wooden comb with a little coconut oil before I use it, starting at the bottom. No static. I probably wouldn't have static with a wooden comb anyway, but this is a great way to condition the wood and my hair at the same time.

deviantkitten
March 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Thank you all!
My mother is sending me a wooden detangling comb from Bath and Body Works.
Spidermom- When I was solely BBBing, I had one "oil" brush, and one "non-oi" brush. I would use the oil one when i had oil in my hair, and the other one when I didn't. When I found I had a bit of static when I didn't have oil in my hair, I would use the oil brush and run it through my hair a bit, and it did help with the static. I will have to do that with my comb until I get the wooden one . I would have bought the wooden one myself, but I couldn't bring myself to pay over $5 on a $7 comb LOL
Thanks everyone! Hope that package gets here soon. My hair wants to fly away from me LOL

HairColoredHair
March 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Wood should definitely help! I got loads of static with plastic combs (and still do when I break one out for whatever reason). But horn combs fixed that. I love my horn combs!

aphilosopher
March 15th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Not sure how advisable this is (because wet hair stretches and breaks more easily), but I'll spritz a few times with my mister bottle before combing if it's getting too staticky. That said, switching from plastic to a bakelite comb helped immensely, so getting away from plastic is my top recommendation.

clairenewcastle
March 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM
The Body Shop wooden comb cured my life-long static problem so for that reason I can't reccomend it enough.

However, I've very greasy hair so I felt I had to clean the comb every time I washed my hair.

As a result the varnish lifted from it in patches causing my hair to catch on the wood and break.
Getting a wooden comb wet is disasterous so I hope you get a method of cleaning it sorted out successfully, I still haven't found one so I'm back to using my plastic wide-tooth comb for now.

Kristin
March 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I also have to agree that wooden combs help with static. I have purchased FOUR in my short time here at LHC. Two of them were purchased on Ebay, one of which was only $.99! I also have a Grahtoestudios detangler which is fantastic. I agree with Spidermom that oiling the combs helps condition hair in general, so it would likey help with static, too.

I also heavily oil my hair with coconut oil before every wash, which has really moisturized it (and presumably would cut back on static).

Arriens
March 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Yes, go with a wood or bone comb, and no more static :)
And in my case, I received a lot more curls in my slightly curyly hair. :cheese:

Getting a wooden comb wet is disasterous My comb has got wet several times, and it is still in 1 piece. Just let it dry slowly (let it airdry on your counter, not next to the heating) works for me.

Messyhair
March 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM
My wooden comb has gotten wet many times and it's fine, too. I do get static, but not nearly as much as I would from a brush. I just need to condition more and presto, no more static!

urara12
March 16th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I am using Bodyshop's wood one and Japanese boxwood combs called * Tsuge Gushi* it's so populer in the japan for hundred's years.

ravenreed
March 16th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I have been using a horn or wood comb and not had any static. Then I used my tangle teazer and my new growth stood up. I will stick with the combs for now. Dry air indoors leads to static.

Konstifik
March 16th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Just like many others: Yes!
I switched from plastic to wooden, now I barely got any static at all. :D

*Aoife*
March 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Wood is the way to go, imho. I haven't tried bone, but I love wood! Plastic makes my hair so static-y.

My comb has got wet several times, and it is still in 1 piece. Just let it dry slowly (let it airdry on your counter, not next to the heating) works for me.

I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work too well. The only downside of wooden combs :( They go a funny slightly bent shape and seem weaker in the middle. Still perfectly usable though.

Ravenne
March 16th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I absolutely love my wooden comb. I haven't picked up a plastic in months and I never have the static problem anymore, but I used to. :D Definitely recommend wood (or bone) combs.

TammySue
March 16th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I get lots of static. I own a Denman Carbon Antistatic comb and recommend this highly! :)

tokidokichi
March 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I use something called static guard, it is in an aerosol can and I just spray it on my comb and it prevents static all day, amazing :)

johnnysgirl
March 16th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I live in a very dry climate, cold and windy too. My hair is often staticky. I use what's left on my hands after lotioning, to smooth over my hair. It works amazingly.

Also, I just got a teak hair comb from Grahtoe studios yesterday, and I'm really excited about using it in the shower - there's no finish on it to chip off or peel - it's just natural teak, sanded really smooth, and finished with a light coat of oil. It's awesome! I keep looking at it here on my desk! (-:

Ursula
March 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM
In addition to wood or bone, I find that using a wider-tooth comb, even if it is plastic, can help. Also, some plastics are better than others. For example, my Mason Pearson rake comb doesn't give me static problems.

I also find that when my hair is well-moisturized, I have fewer static problems. Kimberlily's defrizz spray works well both to detangle and to calm static.

Arriens
March 17th, 2010, 02:04 AM
They go a funny slightly bent shape and seem weaker in the middle. Still perfectly usable though.
Mine is only 8cm (3inch) wide so I don't think this one starts to bend. And if they do (and become unusable) its only a few euro to replace it. :)

cardamom
March 17th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I dint get you!what is static electricity?Do you mean the repulsive forces on hair when we use a plastic comb?Is it detrimental in any way?:rolleyes:

Rhiannon7
March 17th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I suggest wood, have not yet tried bone but so far my hair has not experienced any static electricity since i started using my wood comb. i also whip out the BBB on wash day to distribute oils but preffer the wood comb. less shedding and less breakage.

Deb!
March 17th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I live in a very dry climate, cold and windy too. My hair is often staticky. I use what's left on my hands after lotioning, to smooth over my hair. It works amazingly.

This is exactly what I do! Dry heat indoors, cold air outside and no moisture in the air all combine to create fly-aways.

johnnysgirl
March 17th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I dint get you!what is static electricity?Do you mean the repulsive forces on hair when we use a plastic comb?Is it detrimental in any way?:rolleyes:
I think it is just a nuisance - nothing disastrous. When there is little moisture in the air, my hair sticks straight out backwards from my head, like I've just rubbed it with a balloon. It is a buildup of negative ions in the hair. From what I understand of chemistry, if you apply lotion (which is an emulsion of water and oil, and is therefore a little "sticky" when it comes to ions), it will neutralize the charge on your hair, and add a bit of moisture too.

petitepraline
March 17th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I have a wooden one from the Body shop too! Its great for preventing static and its so small! I love it :)

Ursula
March 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Yes, that is it from a scientific viewpoint. It is not damaging, just annoying.

In low humidity air, particularly when it is cold and dry and you are in an indoor heated environment, combing or brushing can transfer electrons, causing static. You can also get the same effect rubbing an inflated balloon against your head - it will then stick to the wall from the static!

You can have the same effect on some clothing in dry weather, such as skirts clinging to your legs instead of flowing.

Static electricity can also give a mild (uncomfortable but not dangerous) electric shock when you touch metal in this type of weather.

2peasinapod
March 17th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have a wooden one from the Body shop too! Its great for preventing static and its so small! I love it :)

Me too! I was skeptical at first, but I made the switch, and now I no loner get static or flyaways! I love it!

GoddesJourney
March 17th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Wood or horn are great, I use both and never have a problem with static.

Me too. I'm so happy I gave up plastic. I got a wooden paddle brush too, because I love the way paddle brushes feel on my scalp and leave my hair so finely brushed out.