PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye, blowfryer.

freckles
March 15th, 2010, 07:06 AM
It's spring ... nearly. It's still cold and we've had rain today (and yesterday) but the snow seems to have finally cleared off and the lake has defrosted, so I'm calling spring.

And my main excuse for not giving up blowdrying has been 'it's too cold to have damp hair'.

So ... I'm challenging myself to six months with absoloutely NO blowdrying to see if the condition of my hair improves any (it's currently very splitty even though I do pretty much everything else 'right', blowdrying is my only real vice so I'm hoping that's the culprit and my hair won't be like this forever).

I last blowdried on Wednesday, which was the 10th -- so, my challenge will end on September 10th.

At the moment I blowdry about every other wash or every third wash, or when it's really cold, or when I feel like it :p So it works out roughly once a week. So this will be a pretty big adjustment.

In six months I can evaluate the difference and decide whether the blowdryer goes for good or whether it's something I can allow myself occasionally (or, all the time if it does no damage! a girl can dream :o)

Wish me luck! :D

Gabbie
March 15th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Good luck! I think this is something I need to do also. It is just about the only bad thing that I do to my I hair that I am aware of.

Kristin
March 15th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Good for you! I've pretty much given mine up, too. When I'm in a hurry about once every 1-2 weeks, I'll use the the cool setting. I'd like to stop that, too, but I hate leaving the house with wet hair in the spring and fall. Are you just going to damp bun or braid if you're in a hurry?

freckles
March 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM
thanks for the encouragement :) if anyone wants to join in on my challenge ... well, the more the merrier!

Kristin, yes, I will damp bun or braid if I'm in a hurry. I plan to try not to be though! I usually wash on a night so hopefully it won't be that big a problem.

SpinDance
March 15th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I just leave with it wet, if I have to. It dries much faster loose, so I just grin and maybe shrug at people if they look at me a bit strange. Amazing what a smile will do!

I only wash my hair twice a week, wearing it up the rest of the time in either buns or braids, usually buns now that I know how to make them! On wash day I'll wash it early enough in the morning that by the time I'm in the office it's mostly dry. I don't find it to be much colder unless there is a lot of wind and I'm out walking in it. That's rare these days. I'll wear a scarf knit from a nice, soft yarn for warmth most of the cold days anyway, so it's no big deal.

deviantkitten
March 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
God luck!
I myself have never been a blowfryer user. Tried it a few times, but I wound up tangling my hair and making my scalp really oily, even when I just used the cold heat setting!
Having said that, even after I would use it just once, my hair was a mess!
Good for you in your journey. You have our support!

MoonCreature
March 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Good luck! Just remember that the damage you already have won't magically disappear just because you stop blowfrying. But even if you can't reverse the damage that is there, you won't cause any more!

morecowbell
March 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Good for you! I used to blowfry everytime I washed (I was growing out a perm and needed to straighten it a bit) but I gave it up when I finally cut the rest of the perm out.

Good luck on you endeavor, and may the non-frizzy force be with you! :D

masa_inn
March 15th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Funny coincidence - I was just thinking about ditching my b/dr the other day!

I'm very diffuser dependent - for my curls to look their best, I need to diffuse. Even thou I do it on the coldest setting, I still think diffusing is responsible for the split ends I have.

I'll keep an eye on this thread... I'm not sure I'll be able to quit, but I hope you will be successful :)

Melisande
March 15th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I haven't used a blowfryer for... 20 years? 25 years? I was never a heavy blowfryer, though, so maybe it doesn't count. I don't even where mine is. I have it only for drying the childrens' hair when it's freezing outside - once a year?

So yes, it is perfectly possible to live without one. I guess that once you stop the habit it becomes easier, like it did with my styling mousse addiction. You know, I used the stuff to make my hair manageable. Why was it unmanageable? Oh because the product of course - too much alcohol and drying.

Once you stop drying your hair out with a blow fryer, you don't need to fix the frizzy look by inflicting further damage. Good habit carry their reward in themselves ;-)

I'm sure you can do it!!!

freckles
March 29th, 2010, 01:46 PM
So it's been over two weeks without my blowdryer :)

To everyone who was saying about frizz -- that's not why I use it :) My fine hair doesn't believe in frizz. In fact, when I blowdry, it gives my hair MORE volume, which is nice. My hair is volume-less. But mostly, I didn't use the blowdryer to improve my hair's appearence at all, just to make it dry. Cold weather and walking everywhere mean wet hair is NOT fun.

But I'm doing okay so far. We've had relatively 'spring' weather and I've taken to drying with a t-shirt turban rather than a towel turban, which works better. We're forecast snow this week, but I've gone to my dad's house for a week or so and left my blowdryer at home anyway, so there shouldn't be much temptation.

I'm generally finding it okay with a blowdryer, so far. 5.5 months to go!

Pumpkin
March 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have had long hair in the past and blowfried! It was very bad for my hair. This time around, I won't blowfry. I may have used a blowdryer maybe 2 times in the past year. Regretted the look afterwards. Consistant use of a blowdryer is really bad for your hair. I have started washing in the evening and letting airdry. Just my opinion...:)

camirra555
March 29th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I still have two blow dryers, a normal size one and a travel one but I use them about twice a year. My hair is pretty healthy and doesn't need a lot of trims. Once you stop using it for a while, it gets easier

jera
March 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Good luck freckles. I quit blowfrying over a year ago in December and it's C-O-L-D where I live so I know how hard it is. :) You'll make it when you see how awesome and undamaged your hair becomes from giving it up. :p

merseaone
March 29th, 2010, 03:23 PM
At this point in time the only thing I blow dry is the top of my head: either for bangs or for the poof. That's it. The rest dries on its own. Sometimes it dries fast and sometimes not, but my length manages to get damaged all on its own so I don't help it by blow drying.

freckles
March 31st, 2010, 01:26 PM
thanks everyone for the encouragement :)