PDA

View Full Version : helppp...

akilina
March 15th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Hey all. I'm so glad to be back on the lhc for now! I haven't been able to come on for over a month...my computer got the blue screen of death but right now im at my parents house and on their computer.
Anyway...to business...for the past maybe 2 months ive had a terribly itchy scalp and my hair just seems like its all falling out. It's not normal shedding either. :( And i'm only 18 so it couldn't be some sort of age related thing. My hair has signifigantly thinned out and is just not looking too good either. It's not long even. Maybe APL (where it's been for months). It may be from stress. I've gained about 30 pounds too...or so the scale says. ha!
I just don't know what to do about it and it's been upsetting me a lot. I'm really sorry for posting such a long post too but I'd really love some help as to what i could do if anything. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

sarah061
March 15th, 2010, 12:32 AM
My computer's gotten the blue screen of death before! Ugh, how terrible.

I'm sorry to hear about your hair! I wish I had some good ideas about what the problem might be but if you've been under a lot of stress I bet it's related to that. I had a really stressful year last year and I know my hair seemed to suffer from it. And maybe some of the shedding could be due to not having enough vitamins? Maybe if you started taking a multi-vitamin it would help.

Anyway, I hope some of the gurus on here are more helpful than I can be, haha Good luck!

Toadstool
March 15th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Have you had your thyroid tested? Underactive thyroid can make people gain large amounts of weight and lose hair. I would go to the doctor if I were you. If it is that it is treatable with medication and you can get your hair (and your body) back! Good luck xxxx

Rhiannon7
March 15th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Hi, sorry about your hair problem. yes hate blue screen of death. had it during Xmas and wanted to cry. stress is bad for hair. can you please share what your routine is? what products you use? do you oil? do you do scalp massages? are you eating well? any and all of these can be the reason for your thinning hair. plus have you done a checkup? sometimes the reason for thinning hair is an illness.

Let us know please so we can help with a bit more info.

akilina
March 15th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Hey thanks :]
I'm usually an lhc junkie so I have picked up endless amounts information. :) I do take all the good vitamins I should be so thats all good. Once I'm back at home in Nevada I wanted to try monistat so maybe that will help me out. My mom also mentioned the thyroid so thats something I'd like to look into. When I get back home I wanted to focus on eating healthy as well [haven't been lately] and try to eliminate most of my stress...welll see how it goes!

jera
March 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Are you on BC?:confused: This can cause hair loss. Also, have your doctor check your thyroid because weight gain coupled with thinning dry hair is a symptom of hypothyroidism.

Milui Elenath
March 15th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Have you had your thyroid tested? Underactive thyroid can make people gain large amounts of weight and lose hair. I would go to the doctor if I were you. If it is that it is treatable with medication and you can get your hair (and your body) back! Good luck xxxx

:agree: Yes this! It was the first thing I thought too.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 15th, 2010, 03:27 AM
itchy scalp and shedding are common hair problems, but f you notice your hair's obviously thinning, you should definitely go see a doctor. You should lose more than half of your hair to see some visible thinning.

akilina
March 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Not on bc here. that stuff was terrible for me. im going to try to go to the doc today but tomorrow im going back home to nevada so idk if they could really even help me or do tests since its mandantory im back. havent found a doc in Reno yet.
Other than that at this point im just trying not to stress about it. before i leave my mom said shed give me some coconut oil since she has it because she makes soap :]
I noticed too that where i put monistat on my head it quit itching.

and i thought id tell you guys that i convinced my mom that she should use a little coconut oil on her hair :D

GoddesJourney
March 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM

I wanted to mention this too.

akilina
March 15th, 2010, 10:59 AM
So, i just made an appointment for tomorrow to get all checked out. well see how it goes~

hendrix.co
March 15th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I agree is sounds like you may need to run a few tests especially if your gaining weight. Also the more you stress about it the more stress you put on your hair. I also wonder if we go through stages of shedding our hair like we do our skin??

Anje
March 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Have the doctor take a look at your scalp, when you get your thyroid tested. The fact that it's itchy makes me wonder if you've got some sort of infection going on. Maybe seborric dermatitis? That Monistat helps the itch furthers that thinking, though I imagine applying many things will feel good, and I wouldn't be surprised if Monistat specifically has non-antifungal ingredients to help with itching.

In any case, try rinsing your scalp with diluted vinegar. It seems to be a quick step that helps a lot of scalp problems.

florenonite
March 15th, 2010, 03:47 PM
The itchiness and shedding might be seborrheic dermatitis, which is often treated best with frequent, mild shampooing using antibacterial ingredients (eg adding tea tree oil to your shampoo). If you search for it here I'm sure you can find lots of things people have used to help it, besides medicated shampoo. However, I would wait to see what the doctor says before trying to treat it.

You say your diet's not been great, so perhaps that's contributing to the weight gain. It's also common to fill out more at your age, so the two in conjunction might be contributing to the weight gain.

I'd definitely go see the doctor, though. Have your blood tested and your scalp looked at.

Keildra
March 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Have you had a major change in diet recently. I don't mean what you eat only I also mean how much you eat and what times you eat too. I know changing my diet made my hair shed pretty badly at first but then when my body detoxed I started getting a ton of new growth.